Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Please don't let anyone confuse you into thinking that EYE is actually fun to play or worth spending money on.

It's okay because it regularly goes on sale for $0.99 every major Steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm thinking about introducing my wife to the D&D games since we've already played through most of the more modern co-op games. Which would be better to start her with: BGII, NWN, or NWN2? I've played through NWN and part of BGII but have never played NWN2. If there are other good coop games I'd be happy to hear about those too.

We've played through: all of Halo, both Borderlands, Divinity:OS, Trine, Don't Starve, Gears, and Diablo III. Probably a couple more which weren't memorable.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
My intro to the old infinity games was Planescape Torment, and I still think that's the best one of the bunch by a mile, but only because it has a great story and really sharp writing. No co-op though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

For coop NWN1 is probably your best bet. Bg2 can be wonky and isn't really designed with mp in mind as much as NWN is

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mean, yeah I'll agree that NWN1 was designed with MP in mind but the game itself is kinda crappy by today's standards. But it's also true that co-op in both BG2 and NWN2 are clunky as gently caress, though I think the new Enhanced Edition of BG2 may have made the process a bit easier. To throw out another suggestion, what about the Icewind Dale games? Since the focus is on the combat, I would imagine it makes the MP experience more interesting. NWN2 is particularly wordy for the first parts of the game which doesn't make for interesting gameplay.

I love the idea of playing co-op Baldur's Gate with someone but I get the feeling I will never get the chance. I always thought it'd be fun to do co-op Baldur's Gate with some light RPing in the vein of tabletop DnD and implement some kind of side-system to determine which character gets to pick the choices in dialogue. Otherwise a lot of the game will be spent watching someone else read.

I'm also not sure how it would go if someone's first experience with Baldur's Gate 2 was co-op. Then again it might make things easier to have someone on hand that knows their way around the fairly esoteric systems of Baldur's Gate.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 12, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone played/can recommend something similar to Uplink: Hacker Elite? I just blew through that again, having memorized how to break the game by hacking a bank, and need something else to kill some time until GTAV PC launches.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I mean, yeah I'll agree that NWN1 was designed with MP in mind but the game itself is kinda crappy by today's standards. But it's also true that co-op in both BG2 and NWN2 are clunky as gently caress, though I think the new Enhanced Edition of BG2 may have made the process a bit easier. To throw out another suggestion, what about the Icewind Dale games? Since the focus is on the combat, I would imagine it makes the MP experience more interesting. NWN2 is particularly wordy for the first parts of the game which doesn't make for interesting gameplay.

I love the idea of playing co-op Baldur's Gate with someone but I get the feeling I will never get the chance. I always thought it'd be fun to do co-op Baldur's Gate with some light RPing in the vein of tabletop DnD and implement some kind of side-system to determine which character gets to pick the choices in dialogue. Otherwise a lot of the game will be spent watching someone else read.

I'm also not sure how it would go if someone's first experience with Baldur's Gate 2 was co-op. Then again it might make things easier to have someone on hand that knows their way around the fairly esoteric systems of Baldur's Gate.
Yeah, co-op Baldur's Gate is great, but pretty much only if both players have about the same levels of interest in following the story and reading all the dialogue. If you can match that, it's good fun putzing around. Especially if someone's playing a Wild Mage...

Also I can confirm Icewind Dale 2 is great fun in co-op. It uses the easier to understand 3rd edition rules, and the battles are great fun. There are still some potentially lengthy dialogues, but overall it's still a lot less wordy than BG.
Getting IWD2 to work on modern machines can be tricky thoguh, I think. But there's the Enhanced Edition of the first one, at least.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Hey guys, I'm looking for a game that makes you feel like garbage. Something real sad and depressing.

Games I've already played:
The Last of Us
The Walking Dead ssn. 1, 2
Mother 3
Spec Ops: The Line
Cartlife
Papers, Please
Nier
Silent Hill 2

Any standouts that I've missed?

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 12, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Ibexaz posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a game that makes you feel like garbage. Something real sad and depressing.

The Last of Us
Mother 3

LISA on Steam. It is essentially a Mother 4 in style and gameplay, and very worth ten dollars.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 12, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ibexaz posted:

The Last of Us
Mother 3
Cartlife
Papers, Please

Pathologic

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Might want to wait on the remake for this one - the original suffers from a really dodgy translation. In the meantime there's The Void, by the same developer, which is much more polished.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ibexaz posted:

The Last of Us
Mother 3
Cartlife
Papers, Please

Nier, This War of Mine, and Silent Hill 2.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Accordion Man posted:

Nier, This War of Mine, and Silent Hill 2.

Oh, completely forgot to mention I've beaten Nier and Silent Hill 2 as well!

This War of Mine and Lisa both look right up my alley.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ibexaz posted:

The Last of Us
Mother 3
Cartlife
Papers, Please
Nier
Silent Hill 2

Analogue: A Hate Story - The entire game is just reading diaries about how a teenager is being abused. Oh, and I guess there are one or two puzzles to solve.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Possibly bioshock infinite and metro 2033/metro last light, although those definitely aren't on the same level as spec ops.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shadow of the Colossus?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Good puzzle games, preferably more abstract than first-person. Just made my way through English Country Tune and really loved it. Looking forward to Stephen's Sausage Roll.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

The Last of Us
Mother 3
Cartlife
Papers, Please
Nier
Silent Hill 2

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons kind of fits the bill. It's not depressing all the way through, but fully falls into the "sad game" category.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Play To The Moon. If you haven't already. It left me feeling just broken.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Good puzzle games, preferably more abstract than first-person. Just made my way through English Country Tune and really loved it. Looking forward to Stephen's Sausage Roll.

If you haven't played them yet, the Hexcells series and Spacechem are both very good.

Antichamber is both very abstract and first-person, so I don't know if that fits your requirements. It's really good, but maybe wait for a sale.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I've played Spacechem and Antichamber. Antichamber is quite excellent, though you can tell what puzzles were designed at the beginning of the game, and what were designed at the end of the game. Atmosphere is great. I'm also looking forward to The Witness, as well, so I'm not really against first-person puzzlers, but after Portal and The Talos Principle I think it's getting a bit stale for me.

I got up to, uh, the switch elements in Spacechem? Was a long time ago. I always felt cramped in it, and the puzzles didn't really ever have any satisfying epiphanies. I guess that's what I look forward to in a puzzle game: the epiphany and enlightenment that comes when understanding the mechanics in a good puzzle, and that's why I really loved English Country Tune.

Will take a look at Hexcells.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ibexaz posted:

Another sad game I'd recommend is Rule of Rose. Emulate it or watch an LP of it though because its clunky as hell and really expensive to buy a hard copy because its rare and not on PSN Classics. Its one of the saddest games I've played and I love it despite its major flaws.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Ibexaz posted:

For depressing games there's also Valiant Hearts and The Last of Us (if you have a PS3 or PS4), and in the horror route that's a touched upon there's also Neverending Nightmares

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

The swapper

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I'd like a game on xbox 360 I can play on the same screen with two-three friends. I already have diablo 3 and castle crashers, but want to know if there are more.

Edit: for a depressing game, maybe try Papers please

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 13, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Not a viking posted:

I'd like a game on xbox 360 I can play on the same screen with two-three friends. I already have diablo 3 and castle crashers, but want to know if there are more.

Edit: for a depressing game, maybe try Papers please
Battle Block Theatre.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone played/can recommend something similar to Uplink: Hacker Elite? I just blew through that again, having memorized how to break the game by hacking a bank, and need something else to kill some time until GTAV PC launches.

Hacker Evolution is like literally the same game but I don't think its quite as good. Still, if you've played Uplink enough you've beaten it multiple times, you'll probably love it. Its on steam and there's multiple flavors / sequels.

Something like Deus Ex or Watch Dogs might scratch that hacky itch?

Also hilariously Enter the Matrix had a side mode where you had to hack a DOS-like console for cheat powers you'd get in the main game. Not too unlike Uplink for the part where you look around computers for files and programs and stuff, although you're not like running a bunch of cracking software at the same time like in Uplink. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1elrMNSgY)

Or alternatively maybe play around with hacking for real? Like don't go out there trying to hack any banks obviously, but hacking your own computers or something like https://www.hackthissite.org/ could be fun for you if you've really made Uplink your plaything. :cool:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 13, 2015

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for something similar to the Kings Bounty series.

SRPG , easyish game mechanics, customizing an army. Quick fights.

I've played all the Dawn of War rts games. The most recent fire emblem (fights are too drawn out).

CCG's are way too complex for me. I enjoy learning through play and not having a ton of deck building crap to agonize over. League of Legends customization is about my limit (runes, few summoner spells, masteries).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

madpanda posted:

Looking for something similar to the Kings Bounty series.

SRPG , easyish game mechanics, customizing an army. Quick fights.

I've played all the Dawn of War rts games. The most recent fire emblem (fights are too drawn out).

CCG's are way too complex for me. I enjoy learning through play and not having a ton of deck building crap to agonize over. League of Legends customization is about my limit (runes, few summoner spells, masteries).

King's Bounty owes everything that it is to Heroes of Might and Magic, so if you liked that then well, get yourself some loving HOMM. 1 is too old to be enjoyable really but 2 is a classic, 3 is widely considered the best but also the hardest, 4 is kinda funky and tries oddball ideas, 5 is really pretty and 3D and the most newbie friendly, and 6 is more fast paced and tightly balanced for competitive play. I'd say start with 2 or 4. They're all on GoG.com and they're some of the greatest games ever made. 3 was also recently remastered and is on Steam in pretty HD graphics, but again 3 is kinda the hardest to get into, you practically need to have the game manual on your lap to stand a chance. 5 on the other hand has fancy things like tooltips so you can get by without a reference book. I also love 5 because one of the expansions to 5 doubles the unit count of each army and gives you a cool dimorphism where you have to pick between two flavors of each unit.

http://www.gog.com/game/heroes_of_might_and_magic_5_bundle

(Yes, I know that the original HOMM owed lots of what it was to the original King's Bounty)

Then check out something like Age of Wonders 3. Short fights, lots of SRPG mechanics that aren't too complicated but add up to lots of variety and cool effects.

After that I would say the Total War series actually, Shogun 2 and Rome are both pretty drat awesome and even though they're pretty different (historical instead of fantasy) they have a lot of the same strategy and tactics as the HOMM / King's Bounty games, except the battles are in real time. But if you like RTS like Dawn of War anyways could be your thing. Then again the fights are usually pretty long.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 13, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe one of the Warlock games would be up your alley. The game is too simplistic for my meaty grognard needs but that simplicity and fast pacing may be what you're looking for.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I tried playing Alpha Centauri but it was too hard for me to get to. Are there any 4x or simulation games beside it and Civ Beyond Earth where I can create an army of faceless doom troopers?

Ibexaz posted:

OFF. It starts off kinda creepy and weird but in a harmless way. It gets worse. As a brief overview Zone 1 steadily gets to be more of a downer. Zone 2 is kinda dark throughout. Zone 3 is basically horror and the final area is flat-out tragedy.

Limbo.

Anodyne, depending on your point of view.

I don't know if the other guy was suggesting LISA: "The First" or LISA: The painful RPG but you should check both out (keep in mind LISA: "The First" is kinda boring if you don't know what you're doing so it might be better to just watch an LP.)

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 14, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So I've been playing a lot of Rust lately, but I'm getting a little annoyed at how there's literally nothing to do once you have guns and decent clothing other than raid other players and kill naked dudes. Mostly because I've been one of those naked dudes far too often.

While balance issues get sorted out, what are some other survival games that are worth playing? Not minecraft.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been eyeballing the gently caress out of Reign of Kings.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been eyeballing the gently caress out of Reign of Kings.

I've played this a bit with a buddy of mine. It's fun if you have folks to play with, otherwise it's just another long, grindy game where you spend hours hitting trees with sticks to make slightly better sticks that you use to hit hundreds of trees until you can finally make a hovel that a hacker then comes buy and destroys with a catapult after spawning a hundred werewolves on you and crashing the server.

That being said, if you can find a server that isn't being hacked you can have a good time building a cool fort and loving around with random pubbies. But it's still very, very early access.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SquadronROE posted:

So I've been playing a lot of Rust lately, but I'm getting a little annoyed at how there's literally nothing to do once you have guns and decent clothing other than raid other players and kill naked dudes. Mostly because I've been one of those naked dudes far too often.

While balance issues get sorted out, what are some other survival games that are worth playing? Not minecraft.

Try Space Engineers. It's Early Access, but new content gets added every week like clockwork. They recently added oxygen so you can have pressurized ships, and they're starting to lay the groundwork for Missions.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What are the best gun controller games + guns for Xbox 360, Wii or PC?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boz0r posted:

What are the best gun controller games + guns for Xbox 360, Wii or PC?

Lightgun shooters? There arent any on 360, so here's whats on the Wii

House of the Dead: Overkill
House of the Dead 2&3
Dead Space: Extraction
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: Darksider Chronicles.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

King's Bounty owes everything that it is to Heroes of Might and Magic, so if you liked that then well, get yourself some loving HOMM.

On that note, the original King's Bounty is very old (1990) but still quite good. Hits all those points well, I think.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lightgun shooters? There arent any on 360, so here's whats on the Wii

House of the Dead: Overkill
House of the Dead 2&3
Dead Space: Extraction
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil: Darksider Chronicles.
If you want HOD: Overkill get the Typing of the Dead version off Steam. It's that plus the original rail shooter version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try Space Engineers. It's Early Access, but new content gets added every week like clockwork. They recently added oxygen so you can have pressurized ships, and they're starting to lay the groundwork for Missions.

Is Space Engineers actually a survival game though? I want to survive, not necessarily build giant starships and stuff.