Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Just as long as you're aware that they're closer to Damnation Game than the long-winded pseudomysticbabble he likes so much now. But yeah, they're probably his best work.

Is his Arabat series worth reading and does he ever plan on writing stuff again that's not tied into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Clive Barker has a bad habit of writing the first book or two in a series and then getting distracted by something shiny and moving on to something else.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Has anybody read anything by Paul McAuley? I impulse-bought "Something Coming Through" on amazon a while ago and it's interesting. I'm not very far through it yet but so far I really like what i've seen of his aliens.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

andrew smash posted:

Has anybody read anything by Paul McAuley? I impulse-bought "Something Coming Through" on amazon a while ago and it's interesting. I'm not very far through it yet but so far I really like what i've seen of his aliens.

I'm not a fan. His prose is as flat as a week-old can of soda and his characters as thin as its aluminum.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tired of the drama surrounding the Hugo Awards? Then go vote on the Gemmell awards! These guys make no bones about being an entirely populist award.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's also the Locus, which is open to all, though subscriber votes are weighted double. Closes on the 15th.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
The 6 titles for the Clarke awards shortlist are pretty good choices.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Peel posted:

There's also the Locus, which is open to all, though subscriber votes are weighted double. Closes on the 15th.

Cool, I did not know about that.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's so many awards in SFF.

It probably contributes to the Hugos still being the premier award even though people have been rolling their eyes for years, well before the puppies got going properly. If you're gonna promote a different one, which one?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peel posted:

Oooh that's a big list of books. :unsmigghh:
I 'm gonna have to check 'em out.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

andrew smash posted:

This book had me hooked for the first third or so but it really goes absolutely nowhere. Was a very disappointing plot tacked on to some interesting world building.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Peel posted:

There's so many awards in SFF.

It probably contributes to the Hugos still being the premier award even though people have been rolling their eyes for years, well before the puppies got going properly. If you're gonna promote a different one, which one?

We should make our own awards :colbert:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Why would anybody show up for an award called the Goonies?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

BSS tried it a few years ago.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
That makes me a sad goon because I trust your opinions much more than many critics and reviews.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Why would anybody show up for an award called the Goonies?

Hugoons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Golden Manbaby Awards.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I bought the recent humble bundle with barry hughart and jack vance and read those. Master Li and number ten ox was pretty amazing, jack vance short stories are kinda uneven but the craft is solid.

Any of the remaining stuff worth reading?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, Academic Exercises and The Top of the Volcano.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Megazver posted:

The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, Academic Exercises and The Top of the Volcano.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I love Ted Chiang and his short story collection was jawdropping. I hope he writes something in the next decade but I'd be petrified with performance anxiety after such an insane first book.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Grimwall posted:

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I love Ted Chiang and his short story collection was jawdropping. I hope he writes something in the next decade but I'd be petrified with performance anxiety after such an insane first book.

I mean, he wrote a bunch of stuff since then. The Alchemist, Exhalation, The Lifecycle of Software Objects, The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling and some story for Jeff VanderMeer's short story collection. These combined are already long enough for another collection.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Megazver posted:

I mean, he wrote a bunch of stuff since then. The Alchemist, Exhalation, The Lifecycle of Software Objects, The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling and some story for Jeff VanderMeer's short story collection. These combined are already long enough for another collection.

Oh poo poo

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Grimwall posted:

I bought the recent humble bundle with barry hughart and jack vance and read those. Master Li and number ten ox was pretty amazing, jack vance short stories are kinda uneven but the craft is solid.

Best sex scene ever.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Grimwall posted:

Really, most of the stuff in that bundle was worth looking at. It's made the current books bundle full of All Kevin J Anderson, All The Time look pretty pallid by comparison.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So a friend of mine recommended Andromeda Nebula by Soviet author Ivan Yefremov. I'm only a chapter into it so far but it seems very interesting so far but well I'm not far into it I was wondering if anyone else had read it and what they thought?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a standard Soviet sci-fi. All progress, heroics, endless absurd philosophical declamations, not much actual content. It's a good example of that particular bit of literature but I wouldn't exactly call it a good book.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Does A Mote in God's Eye still hold up pretty well or is it pretty seventies?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

NicelyNice posted:

I still regard it as one of my favorites, personally. It's got a few... Niven/Pournelle things that are odd... but by and large it's probably the best thing either of them did.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I think it's hideously out-dated and painful to read. Compared to The Forever War which was published the same year it's doesn't feel relevant at all.

I've never read anything else by the authors, so I can't comment on that. I understand the book is part of one of the author's universes. Maybe if I'd read those I'd have had a higher opinion of it.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

NicelyNice posted:

I'm reading it for the first time now, it's not bad. Seems a bit over wordy and it's taken a bit for me to warm up to it, but it's starting to get interesting.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

KomradeX posted:

So a friend of mine recommended Andromeda Nebula by Soviet author Ivan Yefremov. I'm only a chapter into it so far but it seems very interesting so far but well I'm not far into it I was wondering if anyone else had read it and what they thought?

I have read it.

It is weird. The world setup is interesting (the way the different civilization communicate and share information is nice, although in these days it has been used by othera authors), but the development is boring and the story is flat. A lot of political mumble-jumble about how communism solved all the world problems, some really really outdated points of views about ecology and environment issues, a flatly imposible social structure, and the worst of it: the story carries itself for a lot of pages without getting to any kind of climax or resolution. It is like the author got tired of writing and left it in a random point.

BTW, the best part is the beginning. But don't get too attached with those characters and their cosmonautical adventures: they have no continuity.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

NicelyNice posted:

It's pretty 70s. Or maybe that's just the Niven/Pournelle. But a lot of focus on 2nd wave feminism and birth control, and Malthusian collapse

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

It's pretty 70s. Or maybe that's just the Niven/Pournelle. But a lot of focus on 2nd wave feminism and birth control, and Malthusian collapse

All true. But under the N/P baggage there is undeniably a ripping yarn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

How are Paolo Bacigalupi's Ship Breaker, The Drowned Cities, The Doubt Factory, and The Alchemist? I read The Windup Girl and mostly liked it, but the first three of these seem to be YA, which can mean anything from "trying to not confuse 10-year-olds" to "quality writing minus the grimdark".

The Drowned Cities is kind of a sequel to Ship Breaker in that it shares a character and is set after the events of Ship Breaker. Both those books are also set in a world that is similar to but not quite exactly the same as The Windup Girl. If you like his stuff I would recommend his book of short stores "Pump Six" which are mostly, but not all, similarly themed around horrible futures.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Amberskin posted:

BTW, the best part is the beginning. But don't get too attached with those characters and their cosmonautical adventures: they have no continuity.

That's actually really terrible to hear since that first chapter really hooked me.

Reading it so far, which again I'm only just about up to chapter 3 now, it kind of reminds me of American SciFi of that Era, until an actual black character showed up which I will say a big improvement over some SciFi today, not to invoke the Hugo's and the Puppies :can: Heavily pro communist message doesn't bother me at all.

I just need some time where I can sit and read more than a few dozen pages every few nights

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Guess who John C. Wright is talking about here:

Terry Pratchett

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

fritz posted:

Terry Pratchett

That one's never not hilarious. Do you have the one where he confesses he struggles with dark, mohammedan desires? I can't find it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fritz posted:

Terry Pratchett

Let me guess, the discussion was on assisted suicide?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I Bought wrights book of essays

He dissed Pullman in the intro and I immediately regretted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

thehomemaster posted:

I Bought wrights book of essays