Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Missing Name posted:

followed up with

If you move the cursor to the lower right corner of the chat window, it turns into this arrow thingy, and you can click and drag to make the chat window wider. Then you won't have to put the conversation over 3 screens or something :)

Good job lining up the breaks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srb
Jul 24, 2007

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

By damage ratio do you meant hit ratio? I've played since August 2011 but I only have 4.1k games cause Ill play for a few months and then stop for a while so I still dont know some of this poo poo.

Damage ratio, ie the difference between damage taken and damage dealt. If you're 1 or above in a tank you're good to go, lower and you need to work, below something like 0.7 you really need to work on becoming more efficient at dealing damage.

Players ranking in at very poor skill levels tend to have 0.2-0.4 damage ratios.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

By damage ratio do you meant hit ratio? I've played since August 2011 but I only have 4.1k games cause Ill play for a few months and then stop for a while so I still dont know some of this poo poo.

I mean damage. If your ISU has 1150 health, then an average of 2300 dmg (2.0) makes you an absolute breath-taker. Rare to achieve, for sure, but the turnaround of that is doing 575. THAT'S .5 damage.

[e]: No slight against you Cow.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 13, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey peoples, thinking of playing this game again. Where da goons at?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Missing Name posted:

[pubbie rage]

Excellent work soldier, I've sent you a little something for your trouble.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

The Southern Dandy posted:

I mean damage. If your ISU has 1150 health, then an average of 2300 dmg (2.0) makes you an absolute breath-taker. Rare to achieve, for sure, but the turnaround of that is doing 575. THAT'S .5 damage.

Ahhh I see, I found the number deeper in the service record looking at tanks. Thanks for explaining. I think I'm an all around average player then, lots of stuff at 1+ and 52% win rate and I've mainly pubbed in my games, played like 100 games total with goons probably. I'm at 1.8 with the Hellcat, love that little fucker.

Edit: Its kinda weird looking at tank stats and seeing tanks in my mind I dislike, but have really good stats with and tanks I like that Im just kinda meh with.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 13, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Ahhh I see, I found the number deeper in the service record looking at tanks. Thanks for explaining. I think I'm an all around average player then, lots of stuff at 1+ and 52% win rate and I've mainly pubbed in my games, played like 100 games total with goons probably. I'm at 1.8 with the Hellcat, love that little fucker.

Nah, that's actually significantly better than average by my experience. Keep in mind that average players tend to get around a 48-50% W/R

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

The Southern Dandy posted:

Well, not quite.

If you deal 2300 damage average, and die every game, then you get an average of 2.0.

If you deal your health (1150) in damage in two games, one you die, one you don't take a point of damage, then you still get 2.0.

What this means is those people with .5 are damage sponges. For every point they do to the enemy, they take 2. Not very conducive to winning. 2.0 people generally take two tanks down every time they get killed. But, read on...

Stage 2 is to look at their tank playing ratios. Arty can do a lot of damage, has very little HP. This typically inflates damage ratios. Other tanks like lights and heavies can depress the numbers - lights because they frequently can't deal out a lot of damage, and heavies because they are expected to take a lot.

People with a lot of games in Arty with a meh D/R means their average stats are being brought up by arty, so they are probably terrible. Someone with meh stats and very little arty/ lots of heavy/light might not be so bad.

Oh, and :sperg:

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 13, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The French Army posted:

Excellent work soldier, I've sent you a little something for your trouble.

:toot:

:stare:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Two questions:

A) Does the game actually model the underneath of a tank? I swear to god every time I hit the belly of a tank the shot acts as if it didn't hit anything.

B) Fifth (actually fourth because women crew) skill on a T-54 commander, she has SoS, 6th sense, Repairs, Camo. Should I take Recon or is it worth taking Mentor?

The T-54 has coated optics mounted and the loader is going to start Stiuational Awareness as her next skill.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 13, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Two questions:

A) Does the game actually model the underneath of a tank? I swear to god every time I hit the belly of a tank the shot acts as if it didn't hit anything.

Most tanks have very thin armour underneath it, but you're obviously not going to see it often. Either you hit it at a terrible angle, or the lag means the game thinks you hit something else.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A game wherein myself in my T34 and a pub IS-3 pull off the pro-est flank ever. Also an enemy IS-3 shoots my track roughly a billion times. 5.2k damage.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think I just proved the existence of the Christian God. T34, 9 kills. Watch the chat at the start.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Rorac posted:

Nah, that's actually significantly better than average by my experience. Keep in mind that average players tend to get around a 48-50% W/R

It was an example of how ratios work.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Allright guys, I already got the KV-220, which should I pick?

I am leaning towards the Fury because Murica.

Edit: Clanmates saying BT-SV, but I really don't like low tiers despite the gottagofastness of the tank.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I have no idea if it's the special weekend, or if it's the fact that I just moved and my ISP doesn't like World of Tanks, but every time I click "Battle" and it starts matchmaking, my ping goes to hell.

The odd thing is that it's my entire home network, not just my computer. I start getting 400+ ms ping times on all my computers when it happens, even though only one is playing WoT.

I leave matchmaking/a battle and ping times drop again. According to PingPlotter, the packet loss is inside the wargaming.com network. It's seriously pissing me off and I've been basically unable to play all weekend. This is actually one of my better sessions - ping times are under 1000 and packet loss is under 30%

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mesadoram posted:

Edit: Clanmates saying BT-SV, but I really don't like low tiers despite the gottagofastness of the tank.

BT-SV is a tournament tank, and both it and the Grosstraktor are cash shop only in packages that are waaaaay too much money.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Fury makes good credits in strongholds.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

BadLlama posted:

Fury makes good credits in strongholds.

It also has pretty limited availability. I actually like the tank.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

What was the super awesome and secret prize? Was it announced yet? I guess I'm getting whatever it is...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

What was the super awesome and secret prize? Was it announced yet? I guess I'm getting whatever it is...

Top eight in the Invitational are invited to a "Clan League". Please await a complete disaster.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Top eight in the Invitational are invited to a "Clan League". Please await a complete disaster.
A clan league? What the hell is that? Is it just another tournament?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

A clan league? What the hell is that? Is it just another tournament?

I assume it'll be like the WGLNA but for clans instead. Should help for attendance slightly - silver league especially suffers a high casualty rate of teams just collapsing. Then again it isn't unheard of for a clan to disband, especially if someone kills the clan. Also PINGU was in the top eight, and also I'm in PINGU and I am the clan killer.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I've still got my Te-Ke hanging around in my garage for some reason. How many of you sold it, and if so, how long ago?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

poo poo IS teammate shoots my T-34 in the back of the turret and leaves me with 40hp so I go and shoot him in his gas tank until he lights on fire. gently caress him.

Not even blue.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 13, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Had a 44% w/r shitlord in a T1 Heavy push my brother's Matilda IV out round a corner in front of four enemy tanks, killing him. And I don't mean a nudge either, he pushed him two tank lengths to do it. Then he TK'd a friendly Woverine. All while flailing wildly and missing the enemies he was so set on getting at.

There are people playing this game who defy belief.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

I've still got my Te-Ke hanging around in my garage for some reason. How many of you sold it, and if so, how long ago?

I sold mine immediately for the slot. I don't think a single gift tank has been good since the Tetrarch, with the possible exception of the Combat Car which got a huge buff.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

i hate this loving game

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DonkeyHotay posted:

i hate this loving game

You should try playing World of Warplanes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
A batchat with no shells left managed to reset our E-75 with 1:25 left on the clock by ramming him and forced a draw. This E-75 was playing ring-around-the-maus-corpse with said batchat for the last two and a half minutes of the game, mind you, and could not land a single hit on the batchat except when the batchat literally ran into him.

He did not seem to realize that there was not enough time to cap and had no loving idea how to deal with a tank running around another tank. He was one of those pubbies who goes around corners with his gun in the direction he's moving and then turns it 90 degrees, while he's out in the open, towards the enemy. If he had autoaimed he had a good 3-4 opportunities where he managed to drive in a way that caught the batchat out and could have shot.

Based on how he was driving around earlier I really, really do believe that he drives in first person and toggles his minimap off when he "doesn't need it."

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Do people still run brothers in arms for any of their skills on medium tanks?

I am working on my 4th skill for my Chinese medium and these all seem more important than BiA.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Do people still run brothers in arms for any of their skills on medium tanks?

I am working on my 4th skill for my Chinese medium and these all seem more important than BiA.

BiA is great on artillery since nothing else matters, but I'll also retrain to BiA when repair/camo (whichever is less important) will end up being at like 60-70%. That'll give a large enough bonus, and doesn't take that long compared to the last chunk of XP on the skill.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

DonkeyHotay posted:

i hate this loving game

After the poo poo I went through in the last 2 hours of playing, I swear if I could stab people in the face over TCP/IP, WG's NA branch would close within the week because there wouldn't be enough fuckers left to fund the game by the time I got through with them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rorac posted:

After the poo poo I went through in the last 2 hours of playing, I swear if I could stab people in the face over TCP/IP, WG's NA branch would close within the week because there wouldn't be enough fuckers left to fund the game by the time I got through with them.

I don't know what you're complaining about my 5x weekend was great.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I take BiA on mediums once the third skill is done and they've started on their 4th skill. Camo and repair are more important than BiA, plus the requisite sixth sense and safe stowage.

Also my stats were barely treading water this weekend and I blame arty missions and Hellsau.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Desuwa posted:

I take BiA on mediums once the third skill is done and they've started on their 4th skill. Camo and repair are more important than BiA, plus the requisite sixth sense and safe stowage.

Also my stats were barely treading water this weekend and I blame arty missions and Hellsau.

Kinda surprised you didn't blame me to be honest.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Is there a good site for spots to scout in LTs with on different maps?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

On Fiery Salient/Prokhorovka either active scout in the middle if there are arties, or go passive scout in the west.
On Malinovka, either try spotting from the bushes in roughly the middle of the map (when starting north), or go near the swamp area.
If the enemy team is dumb, you can try spotting from the central rock around 7 line on Steppes (preferably if starting south, though north sometimes works as well).
On Redshire if you start in the north you can go hide in the bushes near a building in the center.
On Lakeville you can try spotting from the middle if you're lucky and if you're extremely lucky, there's a rock on the eastern shore near the middle of the map, from which you can spot a lot of tanks.
On any other map, you're pretty much hosed.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

maev posted:

Is there a good site for spots to scout in LTs with on different maps?

Closest thing I know of is the VBaddict heatmaps and showing only light tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Any suggestions, I have only played for a short time, about 390 missions so far. i picked up the RAM II pack off Amazon and also got the Black Prince with the gold. Are there any tanks in the tier IV or V that are worth the gold. I saw the 4 pack bundle of the Wargaming site with the Tog II, T14, FCM 36 pal 40 and the Panther/M10. Are these worth getting?