Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

My name is Bear Grylls and this is my favorite mod on the Citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cicadas! posted:

My name is Bear Grylls and this is my favorite mod on the Citadel.

Being able to equip Simon's Soul as some kind of Stand has really turned me around on this mod.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A series of stands based off famous zookeepers and adventurers would be pretty cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

someone make a jojo's bizarre adventure mod for starbound and then maybe i'll play it again

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

I figured out how to make slippery, frictionless surfaces. :woop:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I Said No posted:

That's really cool, and also something I didn't even know was possible within the limitations of the engine. I guess the partnership with Aperture Science is paying off, then?
Seriously, how did you accomplish this? Can blocks transfer status effects to whoever's touching them now, or is this some kind of object fuckery?

e: Does it work vertically as well as horizontally? What are the things on the ends, speed boosters? Are you a wizard?

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 13, 2015

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Yeah I figured out a way to hijack the main processing loop for player characters and stick my own block of code in there that checks what you're standing on and applies a status effect if it's a tile modifier that I have set up to give a status effect. The cyan/yellow goo is Accelerator Gel that gives you a speed boost while you're standing on it, and the blue strip is a frictionless surface that switches the player's friction off as long as they're standing on it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I Said No posted:

Yeah I figured out a way to hijack the main processing loop for player characters and stick my own block of code in there that checks what you're standing on and applies a status effect if it's a tile modifier that I have set up to give a status effect. The cyan/yellow goo is Accelerator Gel that gives you a speed boost while you're standing on it, and the blue strip is a frictionless surface that switches the player's friction off as long as they're standing on it.

This is awesome and something dearly needed to make more interesting biomes, I hope you post it when you get it worked out how you like it.

I Said No posted:

You may want it like you have it, but if you want to set it up so that the player has momentum when jumping out of a slide, instead of stopping the moment he hits air, you'll have to change the air friction as well. Back when I cared about making a Starbound mod, these were values that I thought gave a pretty fun balance of "flying all over the place" and "still having some control":
code:
  mcontroller.controlParameters({
	normalGroundFriction = .1,
	ambulatingGroundFriction = -25,
	airFriction = -100,
	airForce = 20,
	groundForce = 5
  })

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I Said No posted:

So, yes to the wizard question then, cause that sounds like some technomancy to me. Are you planning to make it into an API of sorts?
I was hoping they'd made status blocks a feature in the nightly builds or something, but it's all the more impressive you found a workaround like that. It seems like a key feature that should have been in place from day one (in a game about blocks for chrissakes), but we all know better than to expect these things by now. Kudos on keeping the spirit of fun alive.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Ah, you don't actually lose all momentum when you jump, that was just me faffing around. :downs:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
if people keep making good mods starbound might become good

someone stop these madmen before it's too late

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RottenK posted:

if people keep making good mods starbound might become good

someone stop these madmen before it's too late

There is no chance of that happening, godspeed.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

There is no chance of that happening, godspeed.

How does one have such knowledge AoA?

I feel as though every time i see more "LETS ADD MORE GATING MECHANICS TO COOL IDEAS SO THINGS ARE TEDIOUS AND BORING HARD" a piece of me dies. And then i remember that AoA said starbound will never be good and i fear he is right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I Said No posted:

owns

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Going to be working on making a custom ship for awhile, so I started a server.

account = guest
password = alpaca

I assume you need every mod I am using so:

CompactCrops1.1
CreativeMode
FCSMod
IlluminatedOres
LetteredOres

Silento Boborachi fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 18, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

That's your internal address, also I don't think those spoilers are going to protect you from anything.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I fixed it! also I thought somewhere we were supposed to spoiler emails, servers, etc. Whatever.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Silento Boborachi posted:

I fixed it! also I thought somewhere we were supposed to spoiler emails, servers, etc. Whatever.

That's only really if you don't want the general public joining in on them. We generally use the Private Games Servers subforum if you only want goons joining in, spoiler tags won't really do much because you can just mouse over them.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
lol starbound

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

haha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wish it was a dick

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

starbound more like fartbound

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i used to play shartbound

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Starbound is the new Cube World

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, I remember Cube World. I even helped track down why it wouldn't run in wine, and how to fix it in a non-lovely way. (read: likely to be accepted upstream, rather than as yet another CrossOver hack.)

That was a fun game too, for some days after buying it and playing it with a few friends. I love how it had third party launchers to relaunch the server every time it crashed, and oh did it crash often.

Did Cube World ever go anywhere?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No, Wollay got scared away from game development for a while. I'm pretty sure you can't even buy the game anymore, which is good, since selling it when you don't plan to update it for a long time would be really lovely

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
has this game been confirmed as cashgrab vaporware yet or is it getting a proper release one of these decades

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Malek posted:

Starbound is the new Cube World

Pretty sure a major difference is that somebody, somewhere has looked at the Starbound code in the last year.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing; that got us bullshit like the drat crystal mine.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
New stable update showed up on my Facebook feed. I have a lot of posts in the old SB thread about how excited I was for this game. I have to say, Chucklefish has done a very impressive job of killing almost all the enthusiasm I had with their insanely unfocused design decisions. They need some sort of project manager really badly.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

dog is project manager

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

LordZoric posted:

New stable update showed up on my Facebook feed. I have a lot of posts in the old SB thread about how excited I was for this game. I have to say, Chucklefish has done a very impressive job of killing almost all the enthusiasm I had with their insanely unfocused design decisions. They need some sort of project manager really badly.

Yeah, it's hard to get hype. Looks prettier now, should have been out and done months ago.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

LordZoric posted:

It says energy was rebalanced, is this any good?

I'd check myself but I would rather be playing any other game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

quote:

Mission dungeons will persist for 10 minutes after all players have left, allowing continuation of a mission after dying.
This is a pretty good change.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Oh good, the underground parts are even more tedious, can't save+quit to get back to your ship.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

quote:

EXISTING CHARACTERS WILL LOSE THEIR HOME PLANETS! Make sure to write down your home planet’s coordinates or leave your ship in orbit so that you don’t lose track of its location.

Yeah that's a good idea because I can go in and go back to my home planet before steam automatically updates my game for me.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Trastion posted:

Yeah that's a good idea because I can go in and go back to my home planet before steam automatically updates my game for me.

Looks like you got Starboned

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
The changes make me happy, Starbound is a good game.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Smuggins posted:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Smuggins posted:

Your words say yes.
Your avatar says no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Trastion posted:

"Should we add the player's Home Planet to the list of bookmarks upon loading a legacy save? I mean, we know right where in the save this data is located and where it would have to be written to bring the save up to date so this would be like a 5-minute code job."

"Nah"

• Locked thread