Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I don't get why pubbies think destroyers are god-awful. If it comes down to me in a cruiser facing another cruiser or a destroyer, then the destroyer is going to be my primary target because of how dangerous they are to the battleline. On top of that, I have very little problem with driving one all over the map and smashing cruisers and battleships on torp runs. I think the difference is that I'm actually patient and wait for an opening, rather than rush in and die hilariously. I use maneuver and smoke to avoid enemy fire, and I never drive in a straight line for more than 10 seconds. Even better I will retreat if at all possible if the situation gets too hot - it may seem like cowardice to a pubbie, but he'll be watching the rest of the game in spectator mode while I'll go on notching up a couple more kills.

tl;dr - pubbies don't know how to play botes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, I just had the dumbest match in the Sims. Tier 10s on both sides and a fail-division of an Omaha and a Kitakami on the enemy team. Ended up with a torpedo into an Amagi for some damage, four more into a Yamato and I tore up the Kitakami from full health with guns. Then lost the match on cap points with only me and the Omaha remaining alive (and jsut coming within gun range of each other as the points ticked over) after the Omaha killed the freakin' Yamato on our team. :shepface:

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 12, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Sometimes....sometimes the teams just don't want to win.

Killed 3 destroyers, 1 cruiser, and a BB. Got another 2 BBs down to low, but my team decided to just....not shoot the red ships, I guess.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
So I loving love the Fuso, and this wasn't even a 1.5x exp game. Were people complaining about the Fusos spread? Because I think it's great.

The funniest bit by far of that battle was getting 3 citadel hits with one salvo on a mogami, one shotting it and making it rain with pubby tears.

I also love how I did more work than all the other bbs on my team combined :smug:

Chucullinn fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 12, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm losing money with my Lexington. :negative:

But the last game wasn't my fault, the poo poo mm put me in a game with 8 ships. 8 in total. 5 on my team and 3 on the enemy. But the enemy team had the tier 10 carrier which located and effortlessly sank me. My fighters were barely a speedbump and my AA did nothing. gently caress you game. :sigh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Poil posted:

I've sunk a few destroyers with torp bombers but I think it's mostly them being not paying attention because they're not expecting that I'm actually going to torp them. Or they are really bad and think they're invincible to anything but hacks and cheats.

I've sunk one while he was dropping his torps and I point blanked him so he got no warning.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Chucullinn posted:

So I loving love the Fuso, and this wasn't even a 1.5x exp game. Were people complaining about the Fusos spread? Because I think it's great.

The funniest bit by far of that battle was getting 3 citadel hits with one salvo on a mogami, one shotting it and making it rain with pubby tears.

I also love how I did more work than all the other bbs on my team combined :smug:

The Fuso is absolutely fantastic. I dont know how anyone can complain about the dispersion on its guns when it's way easier to do lots of damage in it compared to Kongo and Nagato.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I did a thing on New Dawn with the Mogami.

That's three destroyers, three cruisers, a Nagato, and an aircraft carrier. My team started crying about killstealing in a team game halfway through the match which distracted themselves as the enemy team started dumping smoke, so they started dying. So I killstole some more.

Looks like I suffered about 27k damage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I did a thing on New Dawn with the Mogami.

How is that thing? What I've seen makes it look like a big ol citadel, but it's also a serious looking turret farm.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

xthetenth posted:

How is that thing? What I've seen makes it look like a big ol citadel, but it's also a serious looking turret farm.
Much like the Aoba, the Mogami is a support gunner. It needs maps with lots of islands like New Dawn or a bunch of other ships drawing fire away from it to get good games like that. I personally use the 6-incher turrets to attempt to score as many RNG penetrations as possible, and I've found some decent use in the rudder shift time upgrade to get my hull to do what I want it to do ASAP.

I'm quite sure the 8-inchers will actually get you higher-damage games as you penetrate cruisers and battleships with ease, but much like with the Cleveland, the 6-inchers are the best compromise if you absolutely want to shoot every boat in the game.

ninja edit: someday I will attempt to get kills with the long lances.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

xthetenth posted:

I once got a couple of citadel hits on one firing my 5-inchers in my Farragut :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Finally took my Pensacola out for a spin.

Oh glorious citadel hits, how I've missed you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Mogami is good. You'll eat a lot of shells just from being gigantic, but it's maneuverable enough that you can stave off the citadel hits. I assume you're good enough at positioning that you won't get blindsided by a Cleveland.

I exclusively use the 8-inchers because they seem to have better penetration. You can really prey on other cruisers with them, and consistently score on battleships. The torps are nothing special, but are angled so you can throw them down while running away.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Chucullinn posted:

I thought the spread was bad because I was not aware ship hitboxes were off from a bug. When I found that out, I suddenly was pulling results like yours. It's a great ship.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Mogami is good. You'll eat a lot of shells just from being gigantic, but it's maneuverable enough that you can stave off the citadel hits. I assume you're good enough at positioning that you won't get blindsided by a Cleveland.

I exclusively use the 8-inchers because they seem to have better penetration. You can really prey on other cruisers with them, and consistently score on battleships. The torps are nothing special, but are angled so you can throw them down while running away.

Yeah, I tend to prefer 8 inchers and fast turrets, so I'd definitely be doing that. I will give up a great many things for good shell velocity and penetration.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I will probably end up doing the same thing eventually. Nothing says hello like ten 278-pound shells coming down all at once. e: in games vs. tier 4 ships

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 12, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRc, one little crazy thing about the Mogami is that if you train Aiming Expertise on your captain, the nominally slower 6-inchers will actually rotate faster than the 8-inchers. And at least against T4 and T5 ships, you don't really need the 8-inchers to score citadels outside of shooting up a Myogi or Kongo. What the 8-inchers are really good at is sniping at the Mogamis long range due to faster flight times and I think less dispersion.

In other news, brawling with the Nagato is just so much fun:

The Atlanta got a bit salty because he dumped something like 160 shells into me without me even caring while I was brawling another Nagato. 5-inchers just don't do poo poo to the Nagato. Also, he really didn't seem to like my secondaries ripping into him a bit from 7km out.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 13, 2015

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I can see why demon has trouble ramming Rossmun every game they meet up; he tries to torpedo everyone who comes close to his destroyer! I had a go at it but had to settle for shooting him since he sent a pack coming my way. Very rude goon if you ask me, would not try to ram again.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Magni posted:

IIRc, one little crazy thing about the Mogami is that if you train Aiming Expertise on your captain, the nominally slower 6-inchers will actually rotate faster than the 8-inchers. And at least against T4 and T5 ships, you don't really need the 8-inchers to score citadels outside of shooting up a Myogi or Kongo. What the 8-inchers are really good at is sniping at the Mogamis long range due to faster flight times and I think less dispersion.

In other news, brawling with the Nagato is just so much fun:

The Atlanta got a bit salty because he dumped something like 160 shells into me without me even caring while I was brawling another Nagato. 5-inchers just don't do poo poo to the Nagato. Also, he really didn't seem to like my secondaries ripping into him a bit from 7km out.

Tell me your secrets to doing well in this ship.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

Lee Outrageous posted:

Yes, I just started playing in the Nagato, it is loving poo poo in comparison to the fuso and kongo.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Stock Nagato is a shitfest. The upgraded guns make a pretty sizeable difference and the hull upgrade giving it a vastly better rudder shift time is *huge*.

Lee Outrageous posted:

Get Advanced Firing Training and the secondary battery upgrade that increases the range. The Nagato has considerably more nasty secondaries than the Kongo and Fuso and with those two, the range on them gets bumped up to 7km. Destroyers will utterly loathe you, cruisers tend to start hurting fast and even other BBs get seriously inconvenienced in a slugfest. The 16-inchers are hit and miss in long-range shooting, though they can be suprisingly good still as they fly pretty fast and require less lead. What you really want, though, is to get closer. You have a ton of HP and armor, better penetration than the Kongo and Fuso (giving your shots into the belt a higher chance of pens and citadels) and the fastest rudder shift of the entire BB line.

When fighting another BB, don't go broadside-on against the enemy, face towards/away from them and only swerve out to unmask the rear/front turrets to fire, then swerve back until you're almost pointing at/away from the enemy again. Your angled belt is drat near impossible to penetrate (you can get penetrated through the bow/stern, but that will not cause citadel hits) and your profile as a target is a lot smaller that way. And the closer you get, the more nasty it becomes for your opponent given that brawling is your forte. The Kongo can kinda do this, but is outmatched against you up close due to the disparity in firepower and resilience and the Fuso can't really pull the same stunt due to her turret arrangement and slow rudder.

Against cruisers and even DDs, you also want to get closer. Secondaries will murder the lightweights and the 16-inchers rip cruisers apart once you're within 10km or so. Evading torpedos is actually a good deal easier than with the Fuso due to the Nagato being shorter and having that fast rudder shift.

I guess part of it is also that the 16-inchers just kind of clicked for me. I'm not using the aim mod and still tend to hit other BBs from 19km out if they don't swerve. (Always be swerving erratically while doing that - you're a lot harder to hit at range than a Fuso or Amagi that way.) But that's mostly something you do to pass the time. The Nagato is no sniper, she wants to get stuck in and brawl. :black101:

Edit: If your secondaries score a citadel hit (happens rarely, but is possible), don't forget to type "SKILLSHOT!" into chat.

Magni fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 13, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Magni posted:

Stock Nagato is a shitfest. The upgraded guns make a pretty sizeable difference and the hull upgrade giving it a vastly better rudder shift time is *huge*.

Get Advanced Firing Training and the secondary battery upgrade that increases the range. The Nagato has considerably more nasty secondaries than the Kongo and Fuso and with those two, the range on them gets bumped up to 7km. Destroyers will utterly loathe you, cruisers tend to start hurting fast and even other BBs get seriously inconvenienced in a slugfest. The 16-inchers are hit and miss in long-range shooting, though they can be suprisingly good still as they fly pretty fast and require less lead. What you really want, though, is to get closer. You have a ton of HP and armor, better penetration than the Kongo and Fuso (giving your shots into the belt a higher chance of pens and citadels) and the fastest rudder shift of the entire BB line.

When fighting another BB, don't go broadside-on against the enemy, face towards/away from them and only swerve out to unmask the rear/front turrets to fire, then swerve back until you're almost pointing at/away from the enemy again. Your angled belt is drat near impossible to penetrate (you cna get penetrated through the bow/stern, but that will not cause citadel hits) and your profile as a target is a lot smaller that way and the closer you get, the more nasty it becomes for your opponent given that brawling is your forte. The Kongo can kinda do this, but is outmatched against you up close due to the disparity in firepower and resilience and the Fuso can't really pull the same stunt due to her turret arrangement and slow rudder.

Against cruisers and even DDs, you also want to get closer. Secondaries will murder the lightweights and the 16-inchers rip cruisers apart once you're within 10km or so. Evading torpedos is actually a good deal easier than with the Fuso due to the Nagato being shorter and having that fast rudder shift.

I guess part of it is also that the 16-inchers just kind of clicked for me. I'm not using the aim mod and still tend to hit other BBs from 19km out if they don't swerve. (Always be swerving erratically while doing that - you're a lot harder to hit at range than a Fuso or Amagi that way.) But that's mostly something you do to pass the time. The Nagato is no sniper, she wants to get stuck in and brawl. :black101:

Honestly I find the Nagato gets better and more frequent penetrations even at longer range. I was sailing with a Nagato, and where I'd drop salvoes all around enemy battleships for okay damage, he'd be chunking them with a citadel hit or more from salvoes from basically the same place. That squares with my experience with it earlier.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Vorkosigan posted:

Sometimes....sometimes the teams just don't want to win.

Killed 3 destroyers, 1 cruiser, and a BB. Got another 2 BBs down to low, but my team decided to just....not shoot the red ships, I guess.

Know how you feel:

Got more raw HP than the top guy on the winning team.

And, yeah, the pepsi-cola is pretty :black101:. I love one-shotting destroyers in that thing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Welp I just caved and bought the USS Sims pack so now I'm committed to this terrible game. This means I'm not allowed to post anything bad about the game anymore, right?

Also holy poo poo does this thing drift like no other or what :rice: Spent an entire game plinking at BBs at ~9/10km and doing pretty decent damage; I usually was getting ~800 to 1k damage per barrage but one time I got lucky and did ~3k in a single barrage on an Amagi. I only ended up dying when I decided to be an idiot and try for a torpedo run on a Nagato. It's never ended well when I do that but I keep trying anyway.

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, I tend to prefer 8 inchers and fast turrets, so I'd definitely be doing that. I will give up a great many things for good shell velocity and penetration.
Yeah 8-inch guns are sick + nasty and I love them

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Yeah 8-inch guns are sick + nasty and I love them

Which is why I love the aoba. As long as poo poo ain't looking at you, those 8 inchers can deliver. Also, it is fun to give 8 inches of love to tier 5 ships. Those cruisers really aren't yet armored to handle that kind of firepower.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't like the Fuso very much. It's much too sluggish for my tastes. Kongo is the life.

Battleships should be even faster, and have even bigger guns, and even less armour. Jutland was a disaster because those ships weren't fast enough. We can call the new ships battledestroyers, which is an even greater name. Nothing can go wrong with this.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Some teams are just so bad.... and for once it was not on my side.

Playing with my Lexington, I was first annoyed when I noticed that both ranger on the other team were fit with 3 fightersy. 6 fighters to my 2 sounded like really bad odds. Somehow, despite being completely outnumbered, both my torpedo bombers made it all the way to one of the ranger and proceeded to unload all their torpedoes. I really only needed one squadron since all 6 torpedoes slammed in the first Ranger, teaching him the valuable lesson that being completely stopped with an Island blocking your escape is a very stupid loving idea.

While my planes were on the way back, the enemy team played a game of origami and folded like paper. By the times by bombers landed for a refit, more than half of the other team was dead.

I sent my planes on what ended up being a last run, sinking one of their 2 remaining battleship with a perfect run. I admit I kinda impressed myself. A few seconds later, their last ship sank and we won the match.

Edit to avoid double-post: That aiming mod.. :negative:
Just played a match in my Nagato and got owned so loving bad. Every shot landed on me despite the fact that I was zig-zagging as much as possible and modifying my speed. If these guys were not using the mod, then they are loving good at leading.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 13, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I just don't get the Nagato. I had no issues hitting with the Kongo or Fuso, but Nagato I continually over or undershoot by a dramatic margin.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

srb posted:

I just don't get the Nagato. I had no issues hitting with the Kongo or Fuso, but Nagato I continually over or undershoot by a dramatic margin.

I did this at first on various guns and made it a habit now to not get used to a specific gun, but instead use the Alt key to get the flight time and then adjust my lead by that.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 14, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't like the Fuso very much. It's much too sluggish for my tastes. Kongo is the life.

Battleships should be even faster, and have even bigger guns, and even less armour. Jutland was a disaster because those ships weren't fast enough. We can call the new ships battledestroyers, which is an even greater name. Nothing can go wrong with this.

Large light cruisers bro, Jackie Fisher has you covered.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I guess you will just have to wait for dedicated Fast Battleship/Battle Cruiser/Pocket Battleship lines :v:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I hope we get the Furious in it's half length flight deck+18 inch cannon aft configuration.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What you want is an Iowa-class. 33 knots with 9 16-inches gives you enough speed to match Pensacolas, and is only one knot short of an Aoba.

Or Le Fantasque-class DDs. 45 knots? Yes, please!

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

I hope we get the Furious in it's half length flight deck+18 inch cannon aft configuration.

Courageous 4x15" will probably make it in, with Furious 2x18" premium.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

golden bubble posted:

What you want is an Iowa-class. 33 knots with 9 16-inches gives you enough speed to match Pensacolas, and is only one knot short of an Aoba.

Or Le Fantasque-class DDs. 45 knots? Yes, please!

The wait for French destroyers is harming my emotional state.

I'm looking forward to Russian ones, it looks like they're consistently fast and the Grim is fun.

Iowa is sweet, looking forward to getting it back, but the line overall is pretty slow.

What I really want though are the early Condottieri class cruisers, the Giussanos, the Italian counter to the Fantasques. 37 knots and 8 6" guns? Check and check. 20 mm deck and 24mm belt that I'm pretty sure are just the thickest bulkheads? Check and motherfucking check.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Ah, the good old "All or nothing"-armor scheme, opting for "nothing". Those things are going to get citadel penned by destroyers at maximum range, it'll be hilarious.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Ah, the good old "All or nothing"-armor scheme, opting for "nothing". Those things are going to get citadel penned by destroyers at maximum range, it'll be hilarious.

The Japanese light citadels already do, and they have thrice the armor. A Grim tears through them and the phoenix/Omaha if they don't look out. I've had a game where I plugged away at Japanese light cruisers for maybe a minute before dying, and got 31 hits, 15 citadels and something like 2800 XP dying first on my team.

Looking forward to overpenning them in a Cleveland.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Magni posted:

Get Advanced Firing Training and the secondary battery upgrade that increases the range.

You would actually pick +20% secondary range over increased main gun accuracy?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PirateBob posted:

You would actually pick +20% secondary range over increased main gun accuracy?

The Nagato's secondaries really are that good. And if you're trying to brawl then you don't really need all that much accuracy.

I'm planning on switching for the secondary upgrade as soon as I get the captain skill to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

The Nagato's secondaries really are that good. And if you're trying to brawl then you don't really need all that much accuracy.

I'm planning on switching for the secondary upgrade as soon as I get the captain skill to go with it.

Does it have 6" secondaries? Because switching to AP would explain them being that good and iirc 5" and less fires HE.