Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I have a 100mbps connection solely because my data cap is 400 GiB as opposed to 250 GiB with the second highest tier. It's a good connection, but it sucks that I'm having to pay for something I don't need for no reason other than they have a monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

pandaK posted:

What are you guys even doing with internet this fast :smith:

I'm using it the same as I did my 100Mbit Comcast connection, just now I'm only paying $49.95/month. I don't need 1000Mbps down/up but will gladly accept it. I surf the web, watch netflix/amazon prime. It is nice knowing that I have the speed should I want to use it though.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I agree its completely stupid. Yet ntopng does not lie. It seems to mostly be an issue when streaming to a tablet. So their app may just be retarded.

In any case there are plenty of other ways I cap out my connection without resorting to bit torrent type stuff. And besides, I want to see what my pfSense box is really capable of.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 10, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Panty Saluter posted:

Steam is a torrent style download. Most single servers don't ever get close to 50 Mbps to a single remote computer. If you have a traffic monitor, watch it sometime while you're browsing. very few things will brim any decent connection (or even get close).

Steam is not torrent-style. It uses plain old HTTP, you can actually cache it really easily.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wolrah posted:

Steam is not torrent-style. It uses plain old HTTP, you can actually cache it really easily.

Torrent style in terms of using multiple servers simultaneously. That's why it takes a minute to get to full speed.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Looks like they switched on TWC MAX in my part of the network this morning.

So either they dropped me from ultimate to extreme and owe me a reduction in my monthly bill or I need to buy a new modem to get the advertised speed of the ultimate tier.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Antillie posted:

Looks like they switched on TWC MAX in my part of the network this morning.

So either they dropped me from ultimate to extreme and owe me a reduction in my monthly bill or I need to buy a new modem to get the advertised speed of the ultimate tier.

:argh:

What modem do you have?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

A Motorola SB6141.

I spoke to Time Warner and according to them as a signature home customer I am in the 300/20 ultimate tier. But the 6141 is only rated for 100/10 on their network so its creating a bottleneck at the moment. The only way I can be billed for 100/10 instead of 300/20 is to drop signature home and sign up for 100/10 instead. However if I buy an SB6183 or some other modem they consider compatible with 300/20 they will up my speed to 300/20 at no charge since its just considered "included" with signature home.

They offered to give me a new "gateway" for free to replace my current modem but I hate modem/router combo devices.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 11, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You need the increase in bonded channels on the 6183 to go above 100mbps. That's the max for the 6141.

Great modem though in that it just works as I did not want to use their gateway either.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Yeah I know. I just think the way they do their pricing is funny. At the moment I am technically paying for speed I am not getting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Antillie posted:

Yeah I know. I just think the way they do their pricing is funny. At the moment I am technically paying for speed I am not getting.

I'm sure they would have happily let that continue had you not said anything. That's why I like my FiOS service - "Here's your GbE handoff from the ONT. Have fun!"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah TWC is lovely. They include high-def with their video service but no one told me I had to replace my CRT from 1990 to actually get the benefit. What a bunch of crooks.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah TWC is lovely. They include high-def with their video service but no one told me I had to replace my CRT from 1990 to actually get the benefit. What a bunch of crooks.

I think I can top that. When I ordered signature home they came out and hooked up HD capable DVRs to both of my HD TVs. However in the DVR settings they left the video output set to the default of 480p. I didn't discover this until about three weeks ago, four years after the install. So I just had Dish installed yesterday and so far its amazing. I don't know how I ever lived with cable.

No FiOS in my area sadly, but other than the recent pricing/speed issue with TWC MAXX their internet service has been perfect for a little over seven years. So I am keeping the TWC internet service and getting rid of signature home so I only have to pay for what I am actually getting.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

*whoosh*

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

lol

Keep seeing reports of people at work getting their MAXX upgrades in various parts of the city. C'mon Time Warner, my node has already running 16x4 for at least 2 months now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm planning on switching from my current Internet only Comcast subscription (I'm now getting charged $83 a month for Blast and I even own my modem) to Verizon Fios now that it's available in my neighborhood and I'd probably get tv as well.

I've read conflicting reports, does Verizon charge a router rental fee? Apparently they didn't at the beginning but I've read that that might have changed. If so I'd definitely buy my own router since they're apparently available for sale. If I do buy one, which should I get?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 8, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

I'm planning on switching from my current Internet only Comcast subscription (I'm now getting charged $83 a month for Blast and I even own my modem) to Verizon Fios now that it's available in my neighborhood and I'd probably get tv as well.

I've read conflicting reports, does Verizon charge a router rental fee? Apparently they didn't at the beginning but I've read that that might have changed. If so I'd definitely buy my own router since they're apparently available for sale. If I do buy one, which should I get?

If you get your own router and you have TV, you still need to use their router as a MoCA bridge. That's how I have mine set up, but it's not officially supported and requires you know at least a little about networking. You also need to call them and ask them to pretty-please release your DHCP lease on their end unless you clone the Verizon router's MAC address.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KillHour posted:

If you get your own router and you have TV, you still need to use their router as a MoCA bridge. That's how I have mine set up, but it's not officially supported and requires you know at least a little about networking. You also need to call them and ask them to pretty-please release your DHCP lease on their end unless you clone the Verizon router's MAC address.

Oh. When I read about people doing that with a google search I assumed it was people wanting to use a better quality router for Wi-Fi coverage alongside their FiOS router. I was planning on buying an official Verizon router like this one before ordering the service and hoping not to have to rent one. Is that not possible?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

Oh. When I read about people doing that with a google search I assumed it was people wanting to use a better quality router for Wi-Fi coverage alongside their FiOS router. I was planning on buying an official Verizon router like this one before ordering the service and hoping not to have to rent one. Is that not possible?

Oh yeah, if you're using a Verizon router it will work fine. Make sure the one you use supports the speeds you're ordering.

Also, I don't pay a monthly fee for my router, so :shrug:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KillHour posted:

Oh yeah, if you're using a Verizon router it will work fine. Make sure the one you use supports the speeds you're ordering.

Also, I don't pay a monthly fee for my router, so :shrug:

Ok, I just assumed they worked like Comcast and the results from my internet search was unclear. I'm happy to not pay 100 bucks just to own my own equipment if it's not actually saving me anything, though I'll probably ask one of my friends or relatives who have subscribed recently if I can check their bill.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man why is my internet so slow. It's half as what it should be. It used to be faster when the tech tried speed test. I'm using the newer Netgear routers as well :ohdear:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

caberham posted:

Man why is my internet so slow. It's half as what it should be. It used to be faster when the tech tried speed test. I'm using the newer Netgear routers as well :ohdear:

I believe I speak for most people here when I say:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

caberham posted:

And the speed to somewhere actually useful? Unless you live on Discuz all day?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have an ISP question in regards to me possibly getting sued for crazy amounts of Filez downloaded 6 months before I had rented the modem listed in the subpoena. This a good place to ask about ISP law stuff or can I get pointed in the right direction? I don't steal from the Internet and I'm not asking how to avoid getting caught.

Edit: I feel stupid for even posting this here, but I don't post about computer stuff on SA and couldn't find a good ISP questions thread.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 30, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rolo posted:

I have an ISP question in regards to me possibly getting sued for crazy amounts of Filez downloaded 6 months before I had rented the modem listed in the subpoena. This a good place to ask about ISP law stuff or can I get pointed in the right direction? I don't steal from the Internet and I'm not asking how to avoid getting caught.

Edit: I feel stupid for even posting this here, but I don't post about computer stuff on SA and couldn't find a good ISP questions thread.

Call a lawyer.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Rolo posted:

Call a lawyer; google the law firm or company that sent you the notice (or whatever) to see if anyone else has experience with the same thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Call a lawyer; google the law firm or company that sent you the notice (or whatever) to see if anyone else has experience with the same thing.

Yeah I'm just gonna lawyer up. Everything I googled was people that actually had the modem during the violation dates listed.

I'm just assuming a lawyer will take my account information, say "here you go" in a letter and that's it?

We'll find out. I just don't want to spend money on this...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably you can claim for costs when defending a frivolous lawsuit? I know nothing, discuss it with your lawyer.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm paying $50 a month for 6 down and .5 up which usually translates into 5 and .4 . It is the best I can get at my apartment.

Meanwhile, less than half a mile away from me, at my university, they have this:

This is on my laptops crappy wifi.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm paying $50 a month for 6 down and .5 up which usually translates into 5 and .4 . It is the best I can get at my apartment.

Meanwhile, less than half a mile away from me, at my university, they have this:

This is on my laptops crappy wifi.

You mean paying for high bandwidth dedicated access to be rolled to your premises yields better results? hosed up if true

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's crazy. At my office where people bring in money for the company we spend ~£600 a month for a 200 Mbit fibre service. At home I only have 60 Mbit because £26 is all I wanted to spend on Internet each month.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

caberham posted:

Were they the same speedtests? You might just be closer to one server on the internet then ookla.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

$50 for ~5 down and less than .5 up is kind of a hosed up speed, yes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Always nice to start a download and notice it's going 50% faster than usual...

I'm officially on a 100/10 plan, but it looks like new tiers are rolling out:

Apparently it's supposed to be 150/15 for now, then 300/30 is coming in a few months.

The Arris Password of the Day generators I used to use don't seem to be working anymore so I can't see what my modem's actually configured for. Anyone know anything about that changing recently?

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

10 euros a month in Finland. I could bump it up to 350 down/20 up and pay €20/month, but I don't think I'd ever need that extra speed.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Neron posted:

10 euros a month in Finland. I could bump it up to 350 down/20 up and pay €20/month, but I don't think I'd ever need that extra speed.

Yeah I honestly never thought this day would come but I have no idea what I'd use faster Internet for :(

buzzor
Jul 3, 2007

Well it is the winter. In Antarctica. Cant ask for much more.
Satellite link to the Janet University fibre backbone in the UK.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

buzzor posted:

Well it is the winter. In Antarctica. Cant ask for much more.
Satellite link to the Janet University fibre backbone in the UK.

It's the latency that kills, the .............................................................................................................................. latency.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm not trying to set the bar too low but I'm floored it works at all :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Anyone played with http://speedof.me - I think made by the dslreports people, but don't quote me on that.

Comes with such awesome claims as "SpeedOf.Me is an HTML5 Internet speed test. No Flash or Java needed! It is the smartest and most accurate online bandwidth test. It works well on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows 8 and other mobile devices, as well as desktop computers."

So far seems pretty accurate in my testing.

• Locked thread