Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Weatherman posted:

Bullshit. We know he owns buttcoins--that's more than enough to base a value judgement on.

It'd be like my friend simultaneously owing me $10,000 and buying $1,000 worth of lottery tickets every week. Except the tickets are for a lottery that doesn't exist.

---OR---

A wild white knight appears!

Somebody's jelly they didn't mine coinz back in '10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
ahahahahaha

quote:

I'm scared we're going to lose our home. Or have to sell it because we can't afford to pay property taxes. I'm a long time fan of this sub, but today I'm using a throwaway because I'm sharing financial information. Please help us save our home!

Situation: I am engaged, and we have a 1 year old. He works 50-60 hours a week. I'm still stay at home because daycare is outrageously expensive & local jobs don't pay enough to offset childcare costs. I have 2 college degrees once of which is in Nursing (R.N.). But I don't care what the news says, the economy SUCKS at least in my part of the country. Only places hiring are things like Walmart cashier or fast food.

The good news: House has no mortgage! All our cars are paid for - no loans. My student loans are paid off. And I try to live frugally. Only one credit card carries a balance (about $10,000) because of the months where necessities such as car repairs happened and we just didn't have the money; interest rate 12%. I do have excellent credit of close to 800, so refinancing the debt should be an option.

Income: fiancee is paid $15.60/hour, does 50-60 hours per weeks, brings home after taxes maybe $700. He's got excellent driving record and 10 years experience with a CDL Class B license, but the truth is companies just aren't paying much in my area and taxes are that high. So let's say it's an average after taxes of $600/week = $31,200/year

Assets: House: $450,000 (I own / no liens) Vehicles: my Toyota econobox $5k, my Chevy pickup $6k, his Chevy suv $5k (we are working on selling his SUV)

Expenses:
Property taxes for the house $3,900/year
Homeowners insurance $1,700/year
Auto insurance $2,400/year between his policy and mine. Insurance company won't let us combine things until married. We both have excellent driving records.
Food $300-400/month (??)
Utilities: Power $200-$250/month, Heat & hotwater $300/month average, Water & sewer = well is free, Trash= I take to landfill myself for $6/visit .... monthly total about $500-550 (Heat: I turn thermostat back to 58-62F in winter and installed programmable thermostats but house is 2700 sq ft)
Phone: no house phone. Cell phones $200 total.
Internet: $45 (cheapest plan)
TV: no satellite or cable. Netflix $8/month
Minimal maintenance on house & cars: $2,000/year estimate
Pets expenses- cats, dog, 4 horses: food, shots, medical, etc: $3,500/year. (The horses aren't very marketable so they'd be hard to sell and it would devastate me to have them put down because of budget. This is the last thing I'll give up. I'd rather subsist on ramen noodles!)
Household items, clothes & shoes (thrift store or walmart), and other essentials: estimate $1,000/year
Interest payments on the stupid credit card. Currently about $100 each payment is interest and another $100-150 additional makes up minimum payment of $250/month
Gas for him to get to work and me to run minimal errands: $100-150/month
Savings and retirement: we have nothing left to put in these accounts (!!!)
Child's expenses: clothes, formula, etc - currently my mother buys most of what baby needs. But this isn't a way to live!? estimate at $1000/year plus we want to put $ away for her for emergency or education, but we can't. So right now is $0
Health insurance: currently enrolled in Medicaid (free) but we may lose that now that he's working so many hours. To buy health insurance through his employer, his contribution is $525.00 a month plus co-pays. I'm budgeting $0 but don't know what will happen if we lose Medicaid eligibility.

Luxury expenses:
dining out: no restaurants but we have been doing Chinese Take out 2-3x a month = $100/month. It's my only indulgence.
cigarettes: I don't smoke. He's at close to 2 packs a day, he says due to work stress. $300-$350/month
he sometimes grabs lunch at convenience store because he's driving 12 hour days. I wouldn't do this, but I can't control what he does. Let's say 1-2x a week @$10 visit = $100/month
we stopped going to movies, stopped taking trips, don't go to shows, etc. No vacations. No nothing. I don't buy jewelry, don't shop the mall, dont eat fast food, don't buy things for fun. I buy my clothes used. Furniture is older and bought secondhand. I stopped going out with friends. This is getting depressing.
I do all our own lawn care, dog grooming,cleaning, housepainting, etc. I try to fix as much as I can myself. No manicures. No spa days. Right now I have shaggy hair because I'd rather not spend the $25 right now. No nothing we don't absolutely need.
no money to open pool so I will leave it covered again this summer
Bottom line: Take home pay $31,200/year + projected tax refund $5k-$6k = about $36,200
Expenses at least $37k (which doesn't pay down credit card)
And as soon as we start getting ahead something big & unexpected happens. For example water heater died and it's special order so it was $2,000 installed. We have nothing in savings. We have no retirement. The tractor we depend on for snow removal for our long driveway & mowing for big lawn is broken ($4000 repair or $20,000 to replace). The Toyota failed emission this month and will need $800 to $1000 in repairs to pass. The pickup has a power steering leak that ought to be fixed. House/yard would benefit from a lot of fix up that isnt a necessity and not included in my estimates, but it looks crappy.

PLEASE HELP!

Is selling this house to buy a less expensive house or move to area with lower expenses smart? We're willing to leave this part of the state. Friends say that North/South Carolina offer much better cost of living while still offering jobs near the cities. To move I estimate $30,000+ in expenses (sales commission, closing costs on new house, truck rental)

If I put this house on market, is it worth it to put $ into making this house look nice? And if so, how much? House is 20 years old. Right now it's a bit shabby due to lack of $ for renovation. Most buyers want pretty move-in ready houses. But where will I get the $5 or $10k I'd expect it would cost to fix up issues I can't fix/repaint/clean myself? But that puts me more in debt until this house sells, which may take 6-12 months. Guesstimate is that it's worth $425-450k as is, and closer to $500k if it's in excellent cosmetic condition.

Is it worth it to go to my credit union for a personal loan to pay off credit card, even know we're still hemorrhaging money and likely will keep using the credit card?

He's is watching the help wanted ads for something better. But we've found that the good paying jobs are the ones nobody quits.

I browse ads to see if I can find something part time that would pay more than what childcare costs. There isn't much, considering my schedule somewhat limited because of baby and his long hours. I have a Registered Nurse license but nobody wants to hire someone who can't work any shift they assign or work 10-12 hour shifts.

*tl;dr: Family of 3. No debt except $10k on credit card. Income estimated at $36k. Barebones expenses at least $37k/year with no $ left for savings or retirement. Plus facing some big expenses we ought to take care of. *
The whole thing is kind of :psypop: but seriously, four horses??

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

She's an RN but insists that she wouldn't be able to find work, even though an RN is one of the most in-demand positions out there right now. If she were to work and have her husband stay home, their take home would likely double and depending on where they live, maybe even triple.

I know it's obviously not easy to find work, but man.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

No debt except $10k on credit card. Income estimated at $36k. Barebones expenses at least $37k/year with no $ left for savings or retirement. Plus facing some big expenses we ought to take care of.

No debt, except this debt. Income is fine but we spend more than we earn. Oh and that's before counting the outstanding bills we left out. No debt.

I'm prepared to lose the house and starve instead of sell the horses.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

quote:

Pets expenses- cats, dog, 4 horses: food, shots, medical, etc: $3,500/year. (The horses aren't very marketable so they'd be hard to sell and it would devastate me to have them put down because of budget. This is the last thing I'll give up. I'd rather subsist on ramen noodles!)

quote:

dining out: no restaurants but we have been doing Chinese Take out 2-3x a month = $100/month. It's my only indulgence.

Four horses as well, jesus.

3.5k a year sounds really small for having 4 horses, dogs and cats...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 13, 2015

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

MrOnBicycle posted:

3.5k a year sounds really small for having 4 horses, dogs and cats...

$1000/year sounds really small for a human baby. :(

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Breetai posted:

$1000/year sounds really small for a human baby. :(

Ain't no baby equity, unlike horses and trucks.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Senf posted:

She's an RN but insists that she wouldn't be able to find work, even though an RN is one of the most in-demand positions out there right now. If she were to work and have her husband stay home, their take home would likely double and depending on where they live, maybe even triple.

I know it's obviously not easy to find work, but man.

it's very possible she can't find work if she has an associate's degree and there aren't many jobs in her area

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Cicero posted:

Situation: I am engaged, and we have a 1 year old. He works 50-60 hours a week.

They just never pull in enough money at that age.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
They should move to where they can both work but clearly she likes horses too much. I'm sure the $3.5k a year on pets is a lowball.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$3.5k is probably just what they spend on food for the horses -- after medical attention, farrier bills, riding equipment, fencing maintenance, and the time-cost of caring for horses, that number probably skyrockets.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Not a Children posted:

$3.5k is probably just what they spend on food for the horses -- after medical attention, farrier bills, riding equipment, fencing maintenance, and the time-cost of caring for horses, that number probably skyrockets.

It's also possible they're not taking very good care of the horses and cheaping out some things. Good with money, bad with being a decent human being :smith:

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Her fiance is spending over 10% of his income in cigarettes and naturally that is non-negotiable as well. Granted, it's not easy to quit smoking, you'd think he could cut it down at least a little bit.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
There are so many questions I have to wonder about that.

How did they get a giant house paid off?

Why do they have so many drat horses.

Her best answer is, maybe I should get a smaller house with more land so I can have more horses.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Florida Betty posted:

Her fiance is spending over 10% of his income in cigarettes and naturally that is non-negotiable as well. Granted, it's not easy to quit smoking, you'd think he could cut it down at least a little bit.

2 packs a day is perfectly fair and reasonable what are you talking about.

He's lucky that they don't live in NYC then. I think they run ~$14 a pack around here now. One of the many reasons I don't smoke.

e:

TLG James posted:

There are so many questions I have to wonder about that.

How did they get a giant house paid off?

Why do they have so many drat horses.

Her best answer is, maybe I should get a smaller house with more land so I can have more horses.

I'm willing to guess most, if not all of it, was inherited.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Phrasing posted:

I just started an entry-level government job in Los Angeles that starts at just below twice the minimum wage. Previously I was working two jobs, 56 hours seven days a week, at just over minimum wage. I was as comfortable as I could be working 56 hours a week.

My new coworkers complain incessantly about their pay. About how they can just barely make ends meet paycheck to paycheck. I just want to ask them what the gently caress they're spending all of their money on.

It sounds like you just started your first 'real' job with decent hours, pay, and benefits. That implies a youthful glow to your cheeks. You didn't say how old your co-workers were.

If everyone could just freeze their living expenses at say, age 25 levels of spending, we'd all have a lot more money. I'm going to guess some of your co-workers have kids, some have unexpected expenses like medical bills, and a minority of them are actually bad with cash.

Granted, complaining about your finances to co-workers is bad with professionalism, which in turn could be bad with money. That's like making GBS threads where you eat.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Why do stupid people get all the inheritances. I'll be lucky if I don't have to pay for my parents' funerals :argh:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Why do stupid people get all the inheritances. I'll be lucky if I don't have to pay for my parents' funerals :argh:

It's cyclical. You will persevere and leave a modest inheritance to your children. They in turn, having faced less financial adversity growing up, will be somewhat worse with money but this will be masked by the boost you gave them and will leave a larger inheritance to your grandchildren. Your grandchildren will be horse rich, cash poor, and will loudly complain on the neural web about how life is so hard in Malia Robobama's America.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Krispy Kareem posted:

It sounds like you just started your first 'real' job with decent hours, pay, and benefits. That implies a youthful glow to your cheeks. You didn't say how old your co-workers were.

If everyone could just freeze their living expenses at say, age 25 levels of spending, we'd all have a lot more money. I'm going to guess some of your co-workers have kids, some have unexpected expenses like medical bills, and a minority of them are actually bad with cash.

Granted, complaining about your finances to co-workers is bad with professionalism, which in turn could be bad with money. That's like making GBS threads where you eat.

Money is pretty great.

I doubled my pay in a year and half going from retail, temp to hire, and finally full time at my current company.

Doubled my pay in a 2 year time span with, until recently, no significant change in lifestyle (if anything, I saved money by going to bars less because I didn't have to numb the pain of work as much) and I still felt like I wanted more and more money the entire time.

Granted this is because I'm pretty cheap and like putting money away into savings and retirement because I like watching little numbers grow into big numbers.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I really, really want to see a $2500 vacuum now. I like to imagine it's just a portable black hole.

http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-E2-Type-12-Complete/dp/B005R4AB1W

A used one on Amazon. I've seen Rainbow salesmen sell $3500 vacuums.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Those fixed monthly expenses are nutty, and I'm not even talking about the cigarrettes, food, animals etc.

quote:

Property taxes for the house $3,900/year
Homeowners insurance $1,700/year
Auto insurance $2,400/year between his policy and mine. Insurance company won't let us combine things until married. We both have excellent driving records.
Food $300-400/month (??)
Utilities: Power $200-$250/month, Heat & hotwater $300/month average, Water & sewer = well is free, Trash= I take to landfill myself for $6/visit .... monthly total about $500-550 (Heat: I turn thermostat back to 58-62F in winter and installed programmable thermostats but house is 2700 sq ft)
Phone: no house phone. Cell phones $200 total.
Internet: $45 (cheapest plan)
TV: no satellite or cable. Netflix $8/month

They own their drat house, yet these monthly expenses total almost $1,500. gently caress huge houses.

Throw in some horses and a vicious cigarette habit and their finances are FUBAR.

The best part is that unlike many "living beyond your means" situations, she is acutely aware of how few luxuries they indulge in.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thesaurus posted:

Those fixed monthly expenses are nutty, and I'm not even talking about the cigarrettes, food, animals etc.

They own their drat house, yet these monthly expenses total almost $1,500. gently caress huge houses.

Throw in some horses and a vicious cigarette habit and their finances are FUBAR.

The best part is that unlike many "living beyond your means" situations, she is acutely aware of how few luxuries they indulge in.

Assuming they got rid of the horses, I wonder how feasible it would be to rent out the house and move somewhere with better work. It seems to me like it's in the middle of nowhere (horses, a loving tractor used to plow snow), so it probably wouldn't be easy.

That's not a rhetorical question by the way, I'm legit curious if it's feasible.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

No kidding. They're working their infant child to death so the wife can keep large animals while her husband produces an oak tree's worth of ash from between his lips each day to the tune of 12% of his net income. I love how she starts right out with laughable dishonesty. "I have two degrees, and I am an R.N., but I can't find any work because this economy sucks so hard." She could probably stumble into a random medical facility drunk and reeking of marijuana, and still leave with two job offers.

I love this line:

quote:

Barebones expenses at least $37k/year

Horses: not a luxury expense.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Thesaurus posted:

My house is about 2400 Sq. Ft and much older and we spend less than half of that on "heat and hot water" and electricity (and it's pretty high as we are big on electronics). Hell, we leave the thermostat on 68 through the winter (58 when we aren't home).

It's either really lovely insulation, a super expensive area to live or they are just doing something way wrong (probably option 3).

Edit: also not being able to find a job as a RN makes this whole thing sound like complete bs.

subx fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 13, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Cicero posted:

ahahahahaha

Dear lord, is that ever bad with money. Naturally, OP is making excuse after excuse after excuse in the thread and doesn't seem willing to change much of anything. What a train wreck.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Renegret posted:

Assuming they got rid of the horses, I wonder how feasible it would be to rent out the house and move somewhere with better work. It seems to me like it's in the middle of nowhere (horses, a loving tractor used to plow snow), so it probably wouldn't be easy.

That's not a rhetorical question by the way, I'm legit curious if it's feasible.

Or they could sell the house and the horses, buy a small condo in a city, and still have a couple hundred grand to put into investments/a very large emergency fund, plus be able to get better-paying work.

There are people who can afford to live in a giant fancy paid-off house in the middle of nowhere and it's not them.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
What size condo do you need for 4 horses in the city?

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
why doesn't she just tap that equuity for a mortgage? Losing the house later beats losing it sooner! :v:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

The Nards Pan posted:

Not sure but if this thread has taught me anything, they surely have affordable urban horse condos in Des Moines

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Nards Pan posted:

Well that's why I said horses and the house. I'm sorry but if you're pulling in 30k a year you don't get to have loving horses.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

The Nards Pan posted:

Not huge if you get a condo pony!
http://www.skymaul.com/condo-pony/2014/9/19/condo-pony

Folly
May 26, 2010

loving poors.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nail Rat posted:

Or they could sell the house and the horses

Think they may need to pay for disposal of the horses nowadays, since you no longer send them for slaughter.

Or find some other dumbass to take it off their hands for free! Good with money.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Ain't no baby equity, unlike horses and trucks.

Hey, that used to be a thing in agrarian societies. Increase your productivity by having more (male) children!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Horses: not a luxury expense.

"Dear 1880's Reddit.
My husband works a really cushy job at only 60 hours a week as a machinist. We live in shared housing that we split with a couple other families. Even though we earn a decent income, we are having a hard time getting by on $728/year. Despite what everyone says, the economy here sucks. Maybe once Cleveland gets out of office things will get better."

comments:
"Have you considered saving up for a horse? Owning your own is the secret to financial independence"
"Why don't you just have more kids, so they can go work in the factories? Passive income!"
"Cancel your newspaper subscription. Just pull yesterday's issue out of the trash and read that"

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Renegret posted:

Money is pretty great.

I doubled my pay in a year and half going from retail, temp to hire, and finally full time at my current company.

Doubled my pay in a 2 year time span with, until recently, no significant change in lifestyle (if anything, I saved money by going to bars less because I didn't have to numb the pain of work as much) and I still felt like I wanted more and more money the entire time.

Granted this is because I'm pretty cheap and like putting money away into savings and retirement because I like watching little numbers grow into big numbers.

That's awesome and all, but I think you gotta run a few laps first on the treadmill before you can speak so confidently. Brains have a funny way of never allowing a person to be content with what they have and where they are. That's why this thread exists =)

That All Clad stuff is very good and at least they can easily sell it on Craigslist for 50% of what they paid for it if they live in a large city. I've only ever seen people get All Clad, as well as Henckels knives, as wedding presents from rich relatives. I've never seen someone spend their own money on that stuff. A $2,500 vacuum is definitely lol, though.

The tragedy of that $450K house poster is that she has so many advantages, fucks it up. Could sell her giant house and still have plenty of advantages, but will gently caress it up. Kid out of wedlock while financially strapped, fuckup. She and her fiancee are fuckups. There aren't any cures for that affliction and very few treatments. As for her degree, I know that the market has been flooded with 2-year nursing school graduates who saw a TV ad and heard about the jobs in nursing. Financial freedom! Live the dream! Get your degree! They have no experience and hospitals won't hire them because they have no experience. Poor folks are caught in this catch-22. Going through that nursing training is another sign that she's a fuckup.

Edit:

quote:

I'm scared we're going to lose our home. Or have to sell it because we can't afford to pay property taxes. I'm a long time fan of this sub

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 13, 2015

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
This is old I think but I just saw it. Pretty much sums up every bad with money looking for help post ever.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

SmuglyDismissed posted:

This is old I think but I just saw it. Pretty much sums up every bad with money looking for help post ever.

Bad With Money: "my family is dying" "spend less on candles" "no"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
@dril is good

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

ahahahahaha

The RN part gets better. She won't have her husband stay at home while she gets an RN job because

quote:

I need my partners support if I'm going to tell him to quit his job. He was raised that the man is the breadwinner. While you and i know that doesn't have to be true, he is resisting the idea. I'm caught between trying to balance the finances and accepting I am not able to change another person.
So he won't stop smoking away his family's money, and he's resisting being a stay at home dad while his wife earns more money than he can. I don't want to jump to SEVER like so much of the internet does, but they need to have a serious talk about priorities now that they have a baby to provide for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Haifisch posted:

but they need to have a serious talk about priorities now that they have horses to provide for.

Fixed that for you. Don't be forgetting the horses.

• Locked thread