Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Bicep curls with my palms facing up hurt a lot (I've switched to just hammer curls which helps). Otherwise it's dull most of the day. Sometimes gripping will make it flare up.

Almost certainly tendonitis. While I don't agree with the poster above in thinking this originated with your weight training, I do think you'd be well served by taking a bit of time off from weight training - at least with exercises that cause pain, which might involve most pulling motions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Haven't been on the ice in two weeks. I have a game at 10:10 tomorrow night and a game at 10:00 on Sunday morning.

I like the sounds of this.

I have the same 10 am Sunday game, and a 1:40 game that Sunday afternoon.

Everyone's playing hockey this weekend, all over everywhere. It's the post-easter hockey rush.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Habibi posted:

Almost certainly tendonitis. While I don't agree with the poster above in thinking this originated with your weight training, I do think you'd be well served by taking a bit of time off from weight training - at least with exercises that cause pain, which might involve most pulling motions.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I know you're probably right but ugh.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I know you're probably right but ugh.

Don't I know it. My tendency to be the world's worst recuperating athlete only began to fade as I entered my thirties, as the tradeoffs became too significant to ignore. With elbow-related tendonitis, I can tell you from personal experience that that poo poo can linger for months and months, and until it heals completely will always verge on reinjury.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pleads posted:

Do you work for them in any capacity? There's some wicked corporate stories in the BFC thread. I hope their tourny is run as poorly.

nope, my dad does, but they're letting family come. My dad has spent the last year in corporate hell tho

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I want to perform a six degrees of separation test. So if you don't mind getting hammered and crashing a golf cart, I will time how long it takes to make it into the other thread. tia

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I guess karma bit me for boasting about my magnificent hockey weekend, missing my first game tonight 'cause I got a flat tire an hour before game time.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

So I'm thinking of playing hockey again.

I started fairly young, around 10 or so, and played up through first year of college (southern D3) but had to give it up for school, work and a temporary medical issue. That was... 13 years ago now, holy poo poo.

My skates are still in pretty good shape, CCM 652 Super Tacks. I took them on the ice a few weeks ago (lmao literally my first time back on the ice in probably 11 or 12 years) and they're still fit well and are very light. Have there been any major modern improvements to skates anyone would recommend I should check out? I don't mind buying new skates if they're somehow even lighter or have a better form or something.

I'm also pretty out of shape. Since I stopped playing I haven't done much of any strenuous physical activity. In my playing prime I was around 145~150 lbs, now I'm down to 130. I need to build back that lost muscle.

More importantly though I need to really get my cardio back to full. Being slightly winded after 30 minutes of freeskate is a pretty good sign I let this poo poo slip too far away.

Any suggestions/links to some exercises to get me back up to speed? I figured I'd ask here because all I care about right now is getting back into hockey playing shape.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you like your skates they're fine, but they've come a long way since Tacks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only issue I've seen with using old skates is the plastic on the blade holders gets really brittle after sitting in storage. Dudes returning to the game after 10-15 year breaks show up to my Thursday skate every so often, and it's super common for the first puck they take in the skate to shatter the holder. One guy even broke his in half just doing tight turns, the plastic was too weak to even take his weight anymore.

So just keep that in mind, the skates might be fine for a little while but put some pennies in the piggy bank for a new pair if something goes wrong.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

So I'm thinking of playing hockey again.

I started fairly young, around 10 or so, and played up through first year of college (southern D3) but had to give it up for school, work and a temporary medical issue. That was... 13 years ago now, holy poo poo.

My skates are still in pretty good shape, CCM 652 Super Tacks. I took them on the ice a few weeks ago (lmao literally my first time back on the ice in probably 11 or 12 years) and they're still fit well and are very light. Have there been any major modern improvements to skates anyone would recommend I should check out? I don't mind buying new skates if they're somehow even lighter or have a better form or something.

I'm also pretty out of shape. Since I stopped playing I haven't done much of any strenuous physical activity. In my playing prime I was around 145~150 lbs, now I'm down to 130. I need to build back that lost muscle.

More importantly though I need to really get my cardio back to full. Being slightly winded after 30 minutes of freeskate is a pretty good sign I let this poo poo slip too far away.

Any suggestions/links to some exercises to get me back up to speed? I figured I'd ask here because all I care about right now is getting back into hockey playing shape.

Depending on how much time you have/want to invest into it, and your physical condition, good hockey related cardio will be anything that trains your anaerobic performance - alternating short, high intensity bursts with short periods of rest - such as jumping rope or burpees. You can search YouTube for high intensity workouts/exercises and get a lot of video help.

Building back the lost muscle is a different story, and will involve actual resistance training of one kind or another. Again, a lot will depend on the time you have available.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Thanks for the info, I probably will just start with the anaerobic training

Also good to know about the skates, they did take beating during my last couple years of playing and then sat for over a decade. They performed well in my recent freeskate, but I can definitely see that plastic falling apart under actual play.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Playoff game tomorrow at 6:40pm :stare:

I've never played a men's league game earlier than 8pm, so this is actually nice

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We did a bunch of weak side pivots in Learn to Play today, holy crap it just feels so wrong. Do you ever get to a point where doing stuff on the weak side doesn't feel super unnatural? It feels like the skating version of playing with a wrong-handed stick.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

prom candy posted:

We did a bunch of weak side pivots in Learn to Play today, holy crap it just feels so wrong. Do you ever get to a point where doing stuff on the weak side doesn't feel super unnatural? It feels like the skating version of playing with a wrong-handed stick.

yeah with practice it should feel natural

my experience after 10+ years of not skating made my weak side feel awful again while my strong side got back to 100% pretty quickly, so that leads me to believe you really do need to keep up on the weak side moves

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyduck posted:

Playoff game tomorrow at 6:40pm :stare:

I've never played a men's league game earlier than 8pm, so this is actually nice

I have two games tomorrow, 10am and 1:30pm. :v:

poo poo's weird once high schools are done with the ice.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

I have two games tomorrow, 10am and 1:30pm. :v:

poo poo's weird once high schools are done with the ice.

Aren't they at different rinks?

At least my two within 12 are at the same place.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I had an hour and 15 minute practice this afternoon at 3:30 of all times, now I have a game with my beer league team tomorrow at 7:30

I'm kinda glad because I need some time to work on my shooting mechanics, which are still kinda shaky even after 20 years of playing, lmao

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Habibi posted:

Depending on how much time you have/want to invest into it, and your physical condition, good hockey related cardio will be anything that trains your anaerobic performance - alternating short, high intensity bursts with short periods of rest - such as jumping rope or burpees. You can search YouTube for high intensity workouts/exercises and get a lot of video help.

Building back the lost muscle is a different story, and will involve actual resistance training of one kind or another. Again, a lot will depend on the time you have available.
Shuttle runs are great too if you have a little bit of space.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I love my high intensity metcons but I have to grudgingly admit that lower-intensity treadmill walk/jog intervals help a lot, too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Thanks for the info, I probably will just start with the anaerobic training

Also good to know about the skates, they did take beating during my last couple years of playing and then sat for over a decade. They performed well in my recent freeskate, but I can definitely see that plastic falling apart under actual play.

My toecaps started crumbling first. It was real weird.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Having Easter off then a bye today really feels weird. Well, at least some nagging injuries have a good amount of time to recover a bit before I tweak them again.

On a side note, I'm thinking about selling my truck since the only thing I use it for at the moment is getting groceries (I'm single and use my motorcycle for almost everything) and going to the rink. Do you guys think Uber drivers would be pissed if I threw my hockey stuff in the car with them when I couldn't catch a ride with a teammate?

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I finally started playing via an instructional class 7 weeks ago, after saying for 5+ years I wanted to play.

I suck at skating.
I suck at puck handling.
I suck at shooting.
Generally, I suck all around.

But I'm having an utter blast, and I absolutely love it. Seriously, this sport is just so much fun, even when you're utter garbage.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Nitramster posted:

Having Easter off then a bye today really feels weird. Well, at least some nagging injuries have a good amount of time to recover a bit before I tweak them again.

On a side note, I'm thinking about selling my truck since the only thing I use it for at the moment is getting groceries (I'm single and use my motorcycle for almost everything) and going to the rink. Do you guys think Uber drivers would be pissed if I threw my hockey stuff in the car with them when I couldn't catch a ride with a teammate?

I'm sure hockey gear is by far not the worst thing an Uber driver has to deal with. They get puking drunks.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

but which smells worse??

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wonder_Bread posted:

I suck at skating.
I suck at puck handling.
I suck at shooting.
Generally, I suck all around.

But I'm having an utter blast, and I absolutely love it. Seriously, this sport is just so much fun, even when you're utter garbage.

Whatup LTP buddy this is me to a T as well. :hfive:

Also I have a no-found loathing for the ice at my nearest stick'n'puck good lord have some self respect and try not to have almost bare-concrete in the corner and massive ankle-biting ruts, guys. :clint:
But the LTP ice? Holy poo poo that place is dreamy by comparison. I'm just gonna be sad I don't get to skate there anymore when classes are done.
mostly I'm just mad cause I ever so slightly tweaked my ankle at SnP tonight before class tomorrow - poo poo's gonna be soooooooooore

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 13, 2015

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Duke Chin posted:

Also I have a no-found loathing for the ice at my nearest stick'n'puck good lord have some self respect and try not to have almost bare-concrete in the corner and massive ankle-biting ruts, guys. :clint:

You don't happen to be in the Boston area, do you (guessing from av)? And you don't happen to be talking about Hockeytown USA, are you? Cause holy poo poo, gently caress that place. The thinnest, ruttiest, worst ice I have ever seen. I went to one Saturday night S&P there and vowed to never go back.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So in practicing my weak side transitions last night I realized my strong side transitions are pretty lovely too because I'm keeping both blades on the ice and losing a lot of speed. It's almost like a 180 degree pivot where I stop and turn in one motion. I checked out some videos and it seems like some people are teaching lifting up one leg and swinging it behind the other leg to turn around, and others are teaching a kind of 3 step thing. What's the right way to do it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both are basically the same thing, just a different way of explaining it. I think the 3 step one is an easier way to visualize it even though it's not super accurate.. because if you actually do it as three steps you're gonna land hard on your rear end. It's a single quick motion.

Slowing down on transition as a beginner is super common, as you develop edge control and some trust in your balance it'll get a lot better.

Oddly one thing that really helped my transitions was backwards one foot glides.. both inside and outside edges. Awkward as gently caress but it's a simple routine that really gets you focusing on trusting an edge going backwards.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well that was a game.

- 1 own-goal :hellyeah:
- 1 breakaway goal
- 1 snapped stick thanks to someone chopping at it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Lost our game last night. Some dude who had stamina for days on the other team scored 3 goals. After the game, I come to find out he's only 16 or 17. Awesome.

Bear in mind that this is a mid-level beer league.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We lost 9-1 in a game that seemed much closer than that. They had 2 kids who looked fresh out of high school, I don't know if they could even drive themselves to the rink yet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Hope you guys are ready for all the 20 year old college club players on summer vacation playing on their dad's lower-intermediate team!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's cool guys they're just gonna take it easy out here

*team scores 14 goals*

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Or the classic "they're just gonna take it easy out there unless you get a lead"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've yet to see a high school age kid ever take it easy out on the ice. Drop-in or a game they always go 100% trying to impress the scouts.

Soon as I see one step into the rink I shift from "try to get better at hockey" to "one hour cardio workout" style thinking.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I play in a semi-private pickup league and there are a few high school aged kids that play with us. They're pretty easy to get off kilter, bump them a bit while fighting for the puck and they get so pissy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We've got a kid who plays with his dad that takes it easy.

He actually apologized after he was left wide open by a team and just took what appeared to be a half hearted shot that was launched bar down.

It was like seeing a unicorn.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In the Scottsdale AZ tourney I've played in a few times with my dads team (I'm fat and slow already) 3 years ago we came up against the young 19-20 year old try hard team in the finals and beat them.

It was the best feeling.

You just have to use old man strength and grit to beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

We've got a kid who plays with his dad that takes it easy.

He actually apologized after he was left wide open by a team and just took what appeared to be a half hearted shot that was launched bar down.

It was like seeing a unicorn.

I played on a team one season with a family that had 2 high-school aged boys. They grumbled a little that the game wasn't fast/hard enough for them, but they were great teammates, just super chill and generous and unlike 2/3 of the adults they understood positioning.