Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I use a pair of old SCSI hard drives that I had nothing better to do with.

I use the phone book which for some reason they still deliver 100 copies of in TYOOL 2015...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I stopped getting phone books around the same time I stopped having a landline at home.

Maybe coincidence, but at the same time, maybe not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tailored Sauce posted:

Have any of you guys left your jobs because you felt morally compromised? That's the road I feel I'm going down.

The job I mentioned before that I quit was a really terrible job stresswise, but one of the things that motivated me to quit was that we had a project that I didn't feel comfortable doing. It was a emergency paging system with some life safety applications. We were switching out an old analog system for a new VOIP based on, and I really felt like it was incredible dangerous and irresponsible. I voiced those concerns and was basically told "it's fine, we can guarantee uptime so it's ok" but I was actually configuring the servers and there wasn't any sort of high available component at all. Their idea was to just have two identical servers and if one died, just switch to the other one, but we had no clear plan how to switch, and the software didn't actually do it. It was a nightmare project that I worked on for nights and weekends for a couple months, and then when faced with another six months of it, I couldn't deal with it and found a new job.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

I nicked a pair of outdated law books from our legal department to prop my monitors up.

I've had to replace 3 monitors in the last year internally here and I couldn't find any with an adjustable mount. They were all static bases. I had to find some old manuals to prop them up.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Spazz posted:

In the short term: Grab some unwanted text books/technical manuals and raise your monitors. Looking down like that will gently caress your neck up over time and can cause serious posture problems.

In the long term: :yotj:

I hit up Fry's for some small desk stands that have helped out a fair bit already. I also grabbed some poster boards to throw up over the top of my desk to cut down on the glaring overhead florescent lights.

As to your second statement: Oh I am already considering it. Just can't figure out a good way to get the almost 20K of non vested 401K money. Might have to hold out a year.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 13, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

this is how your workstation should be set up. you really don't want to be looking up at your monitors.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I had one of my monitors propped up on a couple of reams of paper until somebody got mad that it was ugly so they bought me a proper stand.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Phoneposting, so no source, but I'm pretty sure sitting upright is bad for your back. 135 degrees is supposed to be healthier. I know my back feels better after hours of leaning back than sitting at 90 degrees.

Doesn't have to do with monitor height, just that illustration.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Phoneposting, so no source, but I'm pretty sure sitting upright is bad for your back. 135 degrees is supposed to be healthier. I know my back feels better after hours of leaning back than sitting at 90 degrees.

Doesn't have to do with monitor height, just that illustration.

Yep this was definitely proven a little while ago, but I now can't remember the source either.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The best position is the next one. Move around. No matter the position it's going to be bad for you if you stay in it for several hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Technically, sitting for most of your day in any position is bad for you, if you want to be like that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well yeah, standing is a position. :v: I probably shift between sitting and standing a dozen times in a day.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

nitrogen posted:

this is how your workstation should be set up. you really don't want to be looking up at your monitors.

Neutral wrist position is the most important thing by far imo! The rest of your body follows suit if you plant your feet firmly on the ground, but working with bad wrist flexion can cause a lifetime of problems. I took a whole course on workplace ergonomics in college, it was way more engaging than I thought it would be.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
poo poo that pisses me off at home: The Netflix web client is locked to 720p (3000 kbps) max, and in the case of some movies, 480p (1750 kbps). The Windows 8 Netflix app, however, does 1080p (5000+ kbps) no problem.

Fucks sakes, Netflix. Get it together. This isn't 2010, we can stream 5mbit in browser now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo that pisses me off at home: The Netflix web client is locked to 720p (3000 kbps) max, and in the case of some movies, 480p (1750 kbps). The Windows 8 Netflix app, however, does 1080p (5000+ kbps) no problem.

Fucks sakes, Netflix. Get it together. This isn't 2010, we can stream 5mbit in browser now.

There might be really dumb licensing reasons for this.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

There might be really dumb licensing reasons for this.

Probably.

I know I can't watch half the poo poo on Hulu on my Roku due to some lovely licensing.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The best position is the next one. Move around. No matter the position it's going to be bad for you if you stay in it for several hours.

Cue some company making a chair that constantly morphs into several different positions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rolleyes posted:

Yep this was definitely proven a little while ago, but I now can't remember the source either.

-Waseem Amir Bashir, MBChB, clinical fellow in the department of radiology and diagnostic imaging at the University of Alberta Hospital, Canada. Annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago. Nov. 26-Dec. 1, 2006. News release, Radiological Society of North America.

Here's something on the BBC right around when the paper was presented.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6187080.stm

quote:

Rishi Loatey of the British Chiropractic Association said: "One in three people suffer from lower back pain and to sit for long periods of time certainly contributes to this, as our bodies are not designed to be so sedentary."

Levent Caglar from the charity BackCare, added: "In general, opening up the angle between the trunk and the thighs in a seated posture is a good idea and it will improve the shape of the spine, making it more like the natural S-shape in a standing posture.

I sit like this all the time, and it's super comfortable after you get used to fact that you are not going to fall over backward.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

the littlest prince posted:

Cue some company making a chair that constantly morphs into several different positions.

That would be pretty cool. I'm envisioning a VR future where you just climb into one of those back injury traction things and pop on a headset, and while you're computing it just wiggles your body.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

That would be pretty cool. I'm envisioning a VR future where you just climb into one of those back injury traction things and pop on a headset, and while you're computing it just wiggles your body.

Well, if you're just looking for something to wiggle your body while you sit, you could get a hawaii chair.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not pissing me off: First day at the new job and it was… relaxing. I'm amazed. I did not come home angry (which I did not even realize until today that I had been, lightbulb moment). There's real projects, with real budgets, and real direction. There are issues, but we know about them and are prepared to fix them. This is… weird, but in a good way. :)

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Good to know about that study on posture. I'm honestly considering replacing my chair with an exercise ball -- I think it'll keep me from fidgeting as much during boring tasks because otherwise I'll fall off.

poo poo not pissing me off: I got a promotion and I'm now handling engineering escalations for the whole company.
poo poo pissing me off: The guy I replaced didn't document poo poo, didn't give me a clean handoff on anything, and there's absolutely no notes on his progress for almost every open escalation. No logs, shelved some but not all changes in TFS, etc. This is also the same guy who (almost proudly) said "I usually just give the fastest answer, even if it's not the right one."

I'm going to basically have to start at square one with the majority of these. The silver lining is that our completely hosed up escalation process is now mine to own and fix, and I can design it the way it should be.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

RyuHimora posted:

Well, if you're just looking for something to wiggle your body while you sit, you could get a hawaii chair.

I want something where I don't have to expend effort and also I want it to move literally every part of my body. The VR is important because nobody would want to look that ridiculous unless everyone else around them had something covering their eyes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kazinsal posted:

I stopped getting phone books around the same time I stopped having a landline at home.

Maybe coincidence, but at the same time, maybe not.

I was standing outside one day, this guy hopped out of a truck, threw a plastic bag with a phone book on to my porch, and walked away.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

I was standing outside one day, this guy hopped out of a truck, threw a plastic bag with a phone book on to my porch, and walked away.

Did he come back for his truck?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Mmmmm, that's good punchline!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

In my apartment building they usually just drop a huge stack of them outside the entrance. Eventually someone gets sick of seeing them and just tosses them all in the recycling bin.

Volmarias posted:

Did he come back for his truck?
:golfclap:

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Someone set a printer up on a static IP that was already "assigned" to someone else's computer. Now I have to move the computer to a new static IP because nobody can physically locate this printer.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Maniaman posted:

Someone set a printer up on a static IP that was already "assigned" to someone else's computer. Now I have to move the computer to a new static IP because nobody can physically locate this printer.

just keep printing something to it that says 'low toner, please call IT' and someone will ring soon enough :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
What the everloving gently caress is the point of a printer no one can find?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Maniaman posted:

Are all these switches unmanaged? Seems like something that could be figured out in a few minutes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

I print sensitive documents that can't go to the main photocopier, also my office is locked also I'm never in my office

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maniaman posted:

Worst haunting ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mewse posted:

I print sensitive documents that can't go to the main photocopier, also my office is locked also I'm never in my office

"Hey, you're an IT guy, could you print this document for me?"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

How about a printer everyone can find?

I once installed a VOIP PBX for a small brokerage firm that had all public IPs on everything. This included their eight PCs and two network printers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Kazinsal posted:

"Hey, you're an IT guy, could you print this document for me?"

Sure thing. While we're busy doing jobs that aren't our own, here are my car keys. Please have my car pulled around at 5:00pm sharp.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

Sure thing. While we're busy doing jobs that aren't our own, here are my car keys. Please have my car pulled around at 5:00pm sharp.

I have so many stories. Sorry to keep telling anecdotes, but one time a hedge fund I worked for called me at 6am. I happened to be at another client nearby. The elevator had broken so they couldn't get into their office. There was a door by the back entrance up the fire stairs, but it didn't open from the outside. The guy said "I don't care what you have to do, but we need to get into the office so we can trade!" I asked him why he called his IT guy of all people, and his answer was basically "you solve problems. so solve this one."

I ended up getting a sludge hammer (there was construction going on in another floor) and beating their door down so they could enter the office. I made sure the owner was there, so when the alarm went off and the police arrived I wasn't arrested.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have so many stories. Sorry to keep telling anecdotes, but one time a hedge fund I worked for called me at 6am. I happened to be at another client nearby. The elevator had broken so they couldn't get into their office. There was a door by the back entrance up the fire stairs, but it didn't open from the outside. The guy said "I don't care what you have to do, but we need to get into the office so we can trade!" I asked him why he called his IT guy of all people, and his answer was basically "you solve problems. so solve this one."

I ended up getting a sludge hammer (there was construction going on in another floor) and beating their door down so they could enter the office. I made sure the owner was there, so when the alarm went off and the police arrived I wasn't arrested.

You know, sometimes there are tasks outside of our job scope that are worth doing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

his answer was basically "you solve problems. so solve this one."

Hey, look, buddy. I'm an engineer IT guy. That means I solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

m.hache posted:

You know, sometimes there are tasks outside of our job scope that are worth doing.

I know, I used to have a screen shot of the ticket printed out. 1HR: Beat down fire door with sludge hammer.

Hey, look, buddy. I'm an engineer IT guy. That means I solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems.

The ticket for that one was equally interesting: 4HR: Watched a video of a bag blowing around by a brick wall until I cried.