Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vendictus Prime posted:

Any suggestions, I have only played for a short time, about 390 missions so far. i picked up the RAM II pack off Amazon and also got the Black Prince with the gold. Are there any tanks in the tier IV or V that are worth the gold. I saw the 4 pack bundle of the Wargaming site with the Tog II, T14, FCM 36 pal 40 and the Panther/M10. Are these worth getting?

You really shouldn't have bought the Black Prince. The Ram-II also doesn't have fixed matchmaking, and since it's one of the 'old'uns,' unfortunately it's been hit pretty hard by power creep.

As for premiums at T4/5 worth getting:

Churchill III / T14 / Excelsior (these three together, when on sale, are easily your best value-for-money credit-makers in the game)
KV-220 (unfortunately will only ever be for sale in the premium store or as an event reward)
Pz. B2 (again, premium store and event reward - best if you platoon with other B2s)
105 leFH (see above)

TL;DR: Get the 'big three' T5 heavies while you can, because they're fixed-matchmaking, and WG seems pretty eager to take those away from the in-game store.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Vendictus Prime posted:

Any suggestions, I have only played for a short time, about 390 missions so far. i picked up the RAM II pack off Amazon and also got the Black Prince with the gold. Are there any tanks in the tier IV or V that are worth the gold. I saw the 4 pack bundle of the Wargaming site with the Tog II, T14, FCM 36 pal 40 and the Panther/M10. Are these worth getting?
The Churchill III is probably the best tier 5 premium. It gets favorable matchmaking and has a good experience multiplier bonus. It has a very simple playstyle--hold down W and the left mouse button while pointing at red tanks. Also, it trains Soviet heavy crews, and Soviet heavies are some of the best in the game. They are consistently good through all tiers, with few exceptions.

Personally, I wouldn't buy that tank pack because it has too much dead weight.

The T14 is legitimately good and is kind of similar to the Churchill III. It's a little faster, has good armor, has a good gun, but IMO it's not quite as good as the Churchill III. It trains crew for American heavies, which are also very good.

The Tog II would be the world's greatest garbage barge, if only it could float. Instead, it's the world's largest coffin. Its only redeemable feature is that it is occasionally funny to platoon with two other Togs to see if you can manage to win.

The FCM 36 is technically really great at some things. On some maps it's insanely good. On most maps it's meh. If it weren't for the one or two maps where it's good, it would be considered garbage. It might be worthwhile to buy if you have spare gold when it's 50% off and you already have all the good premium tanks. Just don't buy it thinking you're getting a great value.

The Panther/M10 I don't know much about but it doesn't look that good. If it sees tier 9s then it's definitely not good.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 13, 2015

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
So last night I realized that I needed to play 30 games to get the chi nu Kai. I also realized that I had to wake up in 6 hours for work.

Solution: tank much stats and play all 30 games in an hour and 15 minutes. Battle, rush, do damage, quit. Still managed 58% win rate for the night (overall).

srb
Jul 24, 2007

JohnGalt posted:

So last night I realized that I needed to play 30 games to get the chi nu Kai. I also realized that I had to wake up in 6 hours for work.

Solution: tank much stats and play all 30 games in an hour and 15 minutes. Battle, rush, do damage, quit. Still managed 58% win rate for the night (overall).

Should have done it in a 59-16, literally just run in and kill the softest thing you can find then ram into a heavy tank.

Easy 4k wn8.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Uranium 235 posted:

The Panther/M10 I don't know much about but it doesn't look that good. If it sees tier 9s then it's definitely not good.

The War Crime Panther is a tier 7 pref, same as the E-25, most it sees is tier 8s. If you like driving Panthers you'll like driving this, if you don't, buy something else.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Since we touched on damage ratios recently, this is what a 0.2 damage ratio player looks like

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Fury makes good credits in strongholds.

The Fury is what I actually wanted. The T34-85M does look good with it's speed, but I am not too sure if the gun is good.

Hellsau posted:

BT-SV is a tournament tank, and both it and the Grosstraktor are cash shop only in packages that are waaaaay too much money.

GT looks like hot poo poo, the damage is nice but the pen makes me want to vomit. The BT-SV looks fun, but I KNOW I will never play it (T-127 kinda tired me out of T3)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mesadoram posted:

The Fury is what I actually wanted. The T34-85M does look good with it's speed, but I am not too sure if the gun is good.
GT looks like hot poo poo, the damage is nice but the pen makes me want to vomit. The BT-SV looks fun, but I KNOW I will never play it (T-127 kinda tired me out of T3)

Put it this way, if you want the T-34-85M at some point in the future you can buy one for gold or cash money, the Fury is unlikely to be on sale many more times.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Oh really

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/433245-why-does-game-tolerate-such-rudeness-from-people/#topmost

utvolsbaby
May 19, 2004
Go Big Orange

Hellsau posted:

OH MY loving GOD I AM A GODDAMN KING

http://wotreplays.com/site/1789401#swamp-chillsau-m53_m55

I won this game because I chose not to lose. I chose the only possible route to victory, and won because of it. If you think you're going to lose, bitch and moan all you like - but keep trying to win. There's usually something that's extremely far odds of working but very rarely is a game 0% to win - you never know when the enemy will choose to lose it.

This was better than last nights GoT episode. Loved you telling the E-100 what was about to happen.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

NTRabbit posted:

Put it this way, if you want the T-34-85M at some point in the future you can buy one for gold or cash money, the Fury is unlikely to be on sale many more times.

Great point. Thank you :hfive:

Also I won a beta code for botes last night while being AFK in chat. Ole!

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Fury is pretty nice, it's an E8 that makes more money.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

quote:

The T34-85M does look good with it's speed

The tank is slow as poo poo mate

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

maev posted:

The tank is slow as poo poo mate

Oh, I thought it's speed was in the high 50's. Oh well.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It's probably fast in the same sense the IS-7 is.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

53, which is pretty OK. The thing is that it has both worse hp/t and passability than a regular T-34-85 so actually reaching and maintaining that speed can be a bit tricky.

It should be a little faster than an IS-7 but not a lot.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

On paper it gets the same top speed as the normal T-34-85 but in practice it rarely achieves that because it has a lower horsepower engine.

EDIT: Goddammit Prav!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Prav posted:

53, which is pretty OK. The thing is that it has both worse hp/t and passability than a regular T-34-85 so actually reaching and maintaining that speed can be a bit tricky.

It should be a little faster than an IS-7 but not a lot.

That is terribly disappointing. Oh well, another chalk up for the Fury.

Arishtat posted:

On paper it gets the same top speed as the normal T-34-85 but in practice it rarely achieves that because it has a lower horsepower engine.

EDIT: Goddammit Prav!

Too slow :ocelot:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have the T-34-85M and really the best way to describe it is simply unpleasant to drive. It's probably not necessarily bad but driving it just isn't fun where as the Fury is pretty fun because its just an E8 with a worse mantle (I think).

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

3 tanks left to find on Fiery Salient. Our Rhm has been sitting in the H line for approximately a century and is encouraged by several teammates to move. He tells me to STFU, and the next thing you know my FV207 shell goes WAY offline and one shots him. It was pretty tragic. Someone asked him to move up again and I told them he moved up to heaven. He told me I was getting banned and otherwise cried a river of tears, and then sent me this after the game-

quote:

SaqEsq (4/13/2015 12:53:25 PM) well done poo poo head. How about you learn to play before telling others how to play you whiny little bitch.
SaqEsq (4/13/2015 12:53:31 PM) Reported and Ignored ...

Never don't shoot pubbies. Each episode is its own ray of sunshine.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

JohnGalt posted:

Wait, you don't have to win 30?

Reading comprehension is unfair to some. :saddowns:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Don't even wait for a reason to shoot pubs. If they get in your way mid match get them out of your way.

I had a great match in my e4 doing around 5k while a tier 8 kept blocking my shots going where I went repeatedly in an is3. Shot the gently caress way too late.

Always shoot pubbie blockers.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Itzena posted:

Wait, you don't have to win 30?

Reading comprehension is unfair to some. :saddowns:

Reading is overrated. In-fact I wish I was illiterate sometimes so I would not have to read the vile poo poo that spews out of pubbies dumb rear end mouths.

Fake Edit: I am totally not jaded and cynical.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
In a similar vein as Mesa, which of those free tanks are worth the most in gold? The Fury or T-34-85M? I already own everything else because I hate myself so I just want whichever gives the most gold.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

primelaw posted:

In a similar vein as Mesa, which of those free tanks are worth the most in gold? The Fury or T-34-85M? I already own everything else because I hate myself so I just want whichever gives the most gold.

Fury and the T-34-85M are both 3750 gold

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

primelaw posted:

Gotta catch em all :homebrew:

I got to say I am a little confused on why the KV-220 is one of the choices, it is OK but not as OP as it used to be (due to pubbies just giving up and shooting gold a it/knowing their weakness at this point). Gold value is not that high either.

NTRabbit posted:

Fury and the T-34-85M are both 3750 gold

I think you get a slot as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mesadoram posted:

I think you get a slot as well.

True, but it doesn't really matter, the point is they're both worth as much gold as each other

texasmed
May 27, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

fixed-matchmaking

What is this? Does the tank show up in different battle tiers than normal?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've not played it much, but the 34-85M seems decent enough. If nothing else it's a Soviet medium crew trainer that plays like a Soviet medium. The Matilda IV is awesome, but it's not quite the same playstyle.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

texasmed posted:

What is this? Does the tank show up in different battle tiers than normal?
Some premium tanks (specifically the tier 5 heavies in this context) have eased matchmaking that lets them only face tanks one tier higher than then at max, instead of the usual two tiers. The Ram II sadly doesn't have this luxury. Also, WG are really hankering to get rid of the easy MM premium tanks, so get one while you can.

EDIT: Also, this 6th sense icon from Aslain's pack keeps cracking me the gently caress up

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 13, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The BT-SV is the rarest and most valuable tank on that list. If you ever think to sell your account, that's the only one (other than the *mythic* Type 59) that'll command a premium, because people like having things others don't.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Arty games are normally pretty boring, click a few times and hope you hit then your team all dies and you die. This was a rare fun game though, I should have died so many times. Thankfully the other team couldn't shoot for poo poo and I got a gores out of it. Skip ahead to about 4 minutes in, when the northern flank falls, when it starts to get interesting.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

God, the E-75 is so good. And I love that you can shoot APCR against tier 10 heavies and still break even, if not make money, as long as you damage with most shots. If it had a few hundred more hp and a small ROF increase it could probably pass as a tier 10.

I haven't played any of the Maus line. How does the VK B compare to the E-75, qualitatively? It has the same gun and even better frontal armor. What's the catch? Is it just that it's significantly less maneuverable?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 13, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

God, the E-75 is so good. And I love that you can shoot APCR against tier 10 heavies and still break even, if not make money, as long as you damage with most shots. If it had a few hundred more hp and a small ROF increase it could probably pass as a tier 10.

I haven't played any of the Maus line. How does the VK B compare to the E-75, qualitatively? It has the same gun and even better frontal armor. What's the catch? Is it just that it's significantly less maneuverable?

It's got a rear turret, so bad gun depression. Not as big of a deal as it could be, considering the now-ludicrous front armour.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Call me crazy but WG needs to do a huge balancing pass for tiers 1-4. I would go as far as saying those low tiers are far far more lethal than the higher tiers just do to the fact that there is tons of poo poo that will quite literally one shot you. Either you die to a one shot from a comedy derp or you get clipped from full to 0 in 2 seconds flat from auto loaders. It's making it hard to teach a new player the game because by the time I can start explaining the decision they just made is bad they are dead.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

The Churchill III is probably the best tier 5 premium. It gets favorable matchmaking and has a good experience multiplier bonus. It has a very simple playstyle--hold down W and the left mouse button while pointing at red tanks. Also, it trains Soviet heavy crews, and Soviet heavies are some of the best in the game. They are consistently good through all tiers, with few exceptions.

Personally, I wouldn't buy that tank pack because it has too much dead weight.

The T14 is legitimately good and is kind of similar to the Churchill III. It's a little faster, has good armor, has a good gun, but IMO it's not quite as good as the Churchill III. It trains crew for American heavies, which are also very good.

The Tog II would be the world's greatest garbage barge, if only it could float. Instead, it's the world's largest coffin. Its only redeemable feature is that it is occasionally funny to platoon with two other Togs to see if you can manage to win.

The FCM 36 is technically really great at some things. On some maps it's insanely good. On most maps it's meh. If it weren't for the one or two maps where it's good, it would be considered garbage. It might be worthwhile to buy if you have spare gold when it's 50% off and you already have all the good premium tanks. Just don't buy it thinking you're getting a great value.

Just keep in mind, all the tanks in that pack will no longer be available for purchase. At this point it's no longer a question of, "should I purchase this over something else?" and instead, "should I purchase this now or possibly lose the chance to do so forever?" In that case, it's probably yes for the T14 and probably for the FCM36 as well (unless you don't play low tiers.) The Warcrimes Panther is OK (it's a bone-stock Panther, including the 75/70,) but it does get pref MM so you can platoon with E-25s (which you also can no longer purchase!) or the AT-15A, in addition to regular 6s. The TOG is the TOG. :shrug:

BadLlama posted:

Call me crazy but WG needs to do a huge balancing pass for tiers 1-4. I would go as far as saying those low tiers are far far more lethal than the higher tiers just do to the fact that there is tons of poo poo that will quite literally one shot you. Either you die to a one shot from a comedy derp or you get clipped from full to 0 in 2 seconds flat from auto loaders. It's making it hard to teach a new player the game because by the time I can start explaining the decision they just made is bad they are dead.

Well yeah, the tanks in the lowest tiers have ridiculous DPM compared to their HP. Like, I think it's a 10:1 ratio IIRC. :eyepop:

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Something like that, 120-150 hp tanks with 1200-1500 DPM in tier 2.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BadLlama posted:

Tiers 1-3 are weird unfun degenerate gameplay.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

A Cruiser III can kill itself in 1,9 seconds.

And that's still slow compared to the howitzer TDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My own play experience is that every gun is awful in your own hands, but is a laser-guided death ray in the hands of others. (This is slightly mollified if you play gold.) But I'm also bad at tanks so :v:

I think I'm giving up on American arty though, the Priest is simply Too Bad. I'll keep it around I suppose in case for some reason I feel like double-artillering.