Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Xelkelvos posted:

Is that how "beautiful woman" is translated?
"Shawty" is slang and fits the tone of the show so it checks out.

Also, made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, made me laugh.

This show will live on the Rule of Cool and Rule of Funny.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Just caught the first two episodes, looks fun so far. Nice to see a protagonist who has a rad ability (because in a setting like this you gotta have something) but is an absolutely pathetic fighter compared to everyone else around him, although constantly closed eyes tend to irritate me as a character design. I guess it's justified for the first time ever as him using his eyelids as a filter and being able to see right past them all the time anyway with his magic eyes. I'm looking forward to fights that aren't one sided as well, although I wonder who can stand up to Libra in a straight-up fight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

"Shawty" is slang and fits the tone of the show so it checks out.

Also, made me laugh.

I feel like "hottie" or some variation thereof would be closer, but idk how Japanese thinks english slang works.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NowonSA posted:

Just caught the first two episodes, looks fun so far. Nice to see a protagonist who has a rad ability (because in a setting like this you gotta have something) but is an absolutely pathetic fighter compared to everyone else around him, although constantly closed eyes tend to irritate me as a character design. I guess it's justified for the first time ever as him using his eyelids as a filter and being able to see right past them all the time anyway with his magic eyes. I'm looking forward to fights that aren't one sided as well, although I wonder who can stand up to Libra in a straight-up fight.

Depending on how linear they're drawing from the manga stories, you might get your answer in Episode 4. There's also plenty of stuff in later chapters that requires all of them working together to stop.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like "hottie" or some variation thereof would be closer, but idk how Japanese thinks english slang works.

That's what a shawty is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I wanna know what the japanese portion of DICK SUCK says though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never heard the term shawty before so I guess +1 for my knowledge of American slang now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Depending on how linear they're drawing from the manga stories, you might get your answer in Episode 4. There's also plenty of stuff in later chapters that requires all of them working together to stop.
I thought the second episode did a pretty good job depicting them working together, even if the "Fight" was decided in seconds. Leonard found the van and stopped it, Zap marked it, Chain tracked it, and Klaus and Stephen put the boots to the bad guys.

That said, the show does seem more geared towards fights as the culmination of a conflict, rather than serving as a basis for them.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I wanna know what the japanese portion of DICK SUCK says though.

Looks like it's "baka/idiot." Dick suck is still pretty amusing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem's Lot is cooler than Hellsalem's Lot. Also this was a dope episode and I'm glad that Leo can do cool poo poo with his powers and won't have to be a dead weight who has to be bailed out by others.
I like that Zapp uses his awesome blood bending for petty theft :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

That's what a shawty is.

I thought it was slang for "shorty".

I have seriously never heard that word before and I've been in america my whole life.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I went looking to see if anyone posted the episode titles for 4-6 but all I found was this, and I dunno if it means anything since I haven't read the manga.

4.BB
5.ハマー
6.ネジ

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

aers posted:

I went looking to see if anyone posted the episode titles for 4-6 but all I found was this, and I dunno if it means anything since I haven't read the manga.

4.BB
5.ハマー
6.ネジ

It means they're skipping over the zap gets high and has adventures in the city story, but the rest of the titles match up to the normal progression.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sharkopath posted:

It means they're skipping over the zap gets high and has adventures in the city story, but the rest of the titles match up to the normal progression.

I don't read the manga but that sounds like a tragic omission and I hope it's just being shuffled around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharkopath posted:

Eh it's not exactly something you can spin out to 25 minutes, and with only a single cour you can probably assume all the little chapters are getting skipped like K.K. dragging Leo out to go hunting for a card for her kid's birthday, or Chain drinking a thug under the table and leaving him with the tab.

I'd wager Steven A. Starphase's dinner party makes it in as a scene somewhere though.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh it's not exactly something you can spin out to 25 minutes, and with only a single cour you can probably assume all the little chapters are getting skipped like K.K. dragging Leo out to go hunting for a card for her kid's birthday, or Chain drinking a thug under the table and leaving him with the tab.

I'd wager Steven A. Starphase's dinner party makes it in as a scene somewhere though.

They could easily cover those in OVAs or later in the season thanks to how loose the plot threads are in the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dj Meow Mix posted:

They could easily cover those in OVAs or later in the season thanks to how loose the plot threads are in the series.

Not really. There's enough "big" chapters to adapt as-is, plus whatever anime-exclusive story is going to happen.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. There's enough "big" chapters to adapt as-is, plus whatever anime-exclusive story is going to happen.

Hell even if they don't fit NOW I don't think it would be too big of a deal to have them in a theoretical second season.

look, just let me dream, fucker

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Hell even if they don't fit NOW I don't think it would be too big of a deal to have them in a theoretical second season.

look, just let me dream, fucker

Oh don't worry, I'm hoping for a second season too :pray:. At the very least they could just say "gently caress it" and stuff them all into a single episode for a filler ep.

edit: On a side-note, if Episode 4 is going to be Blood Line Fever, I can't wait to see Lucky Abrahms turn up :munch:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 13, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I have seriously never heard that word before and I've been in america my whole life.

no its a cute girl

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

New thread rule: You have to all start listening to rap.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

it's kinda antiquated now though, i think lil wanye circa carter iii was the last time i heard it in a song and lol lil wayne

but how you never heard like in da club before.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

New thread rule: You have to all start listening to rap.

or watch the classic The Wire

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iFiPANvxfDg

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the very least they could just say "gently caress it" and stuff them all into a single episode for a filler ep.

That would make for a pretty fun episode and it would be a shame to miss out on that stuff, so I hope they work them in somehow. As fun as Zapp's cat hunt is I think Chain in the bar was my favorite. I could see an episode that's just Leo bouncing between them all getting caught up in this stupid poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nalin posted:

I don't know. The TV stations abbreviate it the city as HL, you can hear the police call themselves the HLPD, and so on. I think it's actually supposed to be Hellsalem's Lot in the anime.

Looks like it is indeed officially Hellsalem. I just re-watched the episode and noticed that if you look very very carefully you can see the license plate on the car when it dives off the bridge, and it says Hellsalem's Lot.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I am embarrassed about the amount of nerds in here who don't know what shawty means.

Sharkopath posted:

it's kinda antiquated now though, i think lil wanye circa carter iii was the last time i heard it in a song and lol lil wayne

but how you never heard like in da club before.

It's not really that antiquated either Run the Jewels use it all the time.

Vire fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 13, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vire posted:

I am embarrassed about the amount of nerds in here who don't know what shawty means.

Judging by the dance in the ending, she appears to also be very short.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vire posted:

It's not really that antiquated either Run the Jewels use it all the time.

oh yah mike's used it too, it just slipped my mind

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 13, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Fun fact rap artists love anime. That was entirely unironic.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fiend Computer posted:

Fun fact rap artists love anime. That was entirely unironic.

uhhh duh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSzLBLX204g

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Other mind blowing true facts: water is wet and the sky is above you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

only white IT people hate anime

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

:nignog: what do you think shorty means?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Davincie posted:

p much

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Davincie posted:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

if i ever go into IT i want one of you guys to kill me and sell my organs to buy blu-rays and figmas

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Davincie posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

if i ever go into IT i want one of you guys to kill me and sell my organs to buy blu-rays and figmas

You have my word.

• Locked thread