Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

kefkafloyd posted:

Don't forget that a certain number of pumps will start affecting the flow of the water of the river. Even if you evenly distribute the pumps so that they won't all suck from one location, you may end up with areas that go stagnant.

Or worse, you may reverse the flow of the river and end up with the poop water drifting back toward your pumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

WarLocke posted:

I think I'm in love with this thing. Normally I'm not a fan of ramps on the inside of roundabouts but with the way the traffic AI works in Cities I think it would really work well.

Now I just need to find a workshop premade ploppable version because I suuuuck at setting these things up. :negative:

I just noticed the guy screwed up the one-way onto the roundabout at the bottom, too.

e: video of it in action

I can't for the life of me figure out how you built that tiny offramp circle in the background. As soon as I attach something to a circle that small it gets all weird and deformed. How do?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Not that it's hard to find but here's "The mod for that"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055819&searchtext=

Enables achievements with mods

considering breaking the seal with the terraforming mod.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 13, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Why are good maps so hard to find in this game?!

Because they're a goddamn pain in the rear end to make.

Importing a heightmap sure sounds easy but there's a lot of iteration that has to happen before you can really get the proper scale for the game.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Or worse, you may reverse the flow of the river and end up with the poop water drifting back toward your pumps.

The nightmare scenario.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

RattiRatto posted:

I just got the game.
Is there any mandatory mods or strongly suggested to start with?

Maybe you want a game with the normal setup first but the standalone "remove all traffic lights" mod is a must for me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Clanpot Shake posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out how you built that tiny offramp circle in the background. As soon as I attach something to a circle that small it gets all weird and deformed. How do?

Screenshot wasn't from my game, but IIRC the way you do that without having the roundabout deform when you add exits is you have an X (or plus sign, whatever) of roads in the middle of the circle FIRST, which keeps it from deforming when you attach to the outside. Then you can bulldoze the inner X/cross afterwards.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

suddenlyissoon posted:

If you don't mind maps modeled after cities and towns in Massachusetts, you can always try my maps.

Now that I have most of my current timesinks out of the way, I'm going to try using Cimtographer and make a map of Hartford. We'll see if it saves me any time over using my previous mapmaking methods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

xzzy posted:

Because they're a goddamn pain in the rear end to make.

Importing a heightmap sure sounds easy but there's a lot of iteration that has to happen before you can really get the proper scale for the game.

Don't forget that once you import the heightmap into the game it does so at a lower resolution than what the maps themselves support so you should do at least one in game pass to remove bizarre ridges.

And then get the water working. :suicide:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

What are you looking for in a map anyway?
Opportunity for beautiful scenery? Good resource distribution? Mostly flat with rivers? Archipelago?

Zion is good for mountain villages separated out for scenic views.
The Powhatan (I think?) map is good for lots of flat space and a river, plus sea connection. Very New England.
There's also a Dunes map that's basically this minus the sea connection.

A lot of Nordic maps (specifically Norweigan) have good mountain views but the layouts are usually weird or bad for in game set up. What's that, no farming areas and plenty of oil? Sucks to be a township, scrub. I don't care that it's not realistic for heavy farming in Norway, there's no snow ever either.

Anyway, yeah, what are you looking for?

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Be advised:

Mayor Sued over Erection of Robot Statue

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

quote:

Gökçek said the granite marble head of the robot was more clever than the members of TMMOB who sued him, adding, “Respect the robot.”

Guy's got chutzpah if nothing else.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

WarLocke posted:

Screenshot wasn't from my game, but IIRC the way you do that without having the roundabout deform when you add exits is you have an X (or plus sign, whatever) of roads in the middle of the circle FIRST, which keeps it from deforming when you attach to the outside. Then you can bulldoze the inner X/cross afterwards.

That is really weird but worked like a charm. Thanks!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I hope my citizens don't sue me. :ohdear:
Nothing wrong with a good giant robot randomly in the middle of your city.

While I'm uploading pictures from my city, this roundabout used to be ridiculously over capacity, and after watching the traffic for a while I felt I needed a Swindon Solution to get the cars in and out without going around the whole roundabout. Well, you can see I didn't quite manage the magic roundabout, but it's some kind of witchcraft at least. It turned a perpetual traffic nightmare into something entirely manageable.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Tenterhooks posted:

Just picked this up for the Mac yesterday. Really enjoying it. I don't play many games and Google hasn't been helpful, but is there a way to enable a modifier key for right click in game? I can enable secondary click in System Prefs beforehand and that'll do the job but I'd rather map it to cmd-click or ctrl-click if possible.

I use the two-finger-click on trackpad or use a mouse that wasn't pooped out by Steve Jobs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do they still make one-button mice for macs? I see them in a lot of workplaces and they're always 2-button with an invisible wheel. Like it all looks like one button but it knows which finger you used.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Eiba posted:

I hope my citizens don't sue me. :ohdear:
Nothing wrong with a good giant robot randomly in the middle of your city.

While I'm uploading pictures from my city, this roundabout used to be ridiculously over capacity, and after watching the traffic for a while I felt I needed a Swindon Solution to get the cars in and out without going around the whole roundabout. Well, you can see I didn't quite manage the magic roundabout, but it's some kind of witchcraft at least. It turned a perpetual traffic nightmare into something entirely manageable.

This is loving cool, thanks! There's also a nice USS Enterprise park.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, one button mice disappeared a long time ago. The mighty mouse was released around 2005 and that was the end of the era of one button.

Trackpads got multi-touch in 2008.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All Apple mice and trackpads and OS versions for the past 6-7 years are able to right-click properly. On both the mice and trackpads, use a single finger and click down the right-hand side. In other words, if you have the Magic Mouse or whatever you need to lift your left finger and click the button with just the right finger. On a trackpad you place your finger on the lower right corner and push down to click.
At least that's how it worked last I used a Mac.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The game should still respect ctrl-click as a right click since that's been a systemwide behavior since OS 8.

Otherwise use two-finger click for a trackpad or make sure your mighty/magic mouse has right click enabled.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I love these random things that would be totally out of place irl.

USS Enterprise memorial park right in downtown in the middle of the central park? Hell yeah.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I spent way too much time making this by hand:

I know I could have downloaded several hundred different options from the workshop, but I still kind of want to play the 'game' part of starting with basic roads and earning the better ones, so this is my attempt at a two-lane highway-to-roundabout exit.

Eventually upgraded to an actual highway overpass, with on- and off-ramps instead of two-lanes.

I actually upgraded the roads coming off the roundabout to four-lanes later, trying for an arterial-type flow (hgihway -> four-lane 'arteries' -> two-lane neighborhood roads).

Lining up that thing with the pre-built highay is going to be a chore, you can see where I had to deviate from the roads leading in to the city limits since they're not parallel :argh:

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I'm just starting out.
Is it normal that i need 5 fire stations since everything caches on fire but i still only need 1 small police and they are all ok? Just asking'

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

I'm just starting out.
Is it normal that i need 5 fire stations since everything caches on fire but i still only need 1 small police and they are all ok? Just asking'

Sounds about right... I've noticed you really don't need many police stations, especially compared with fire stations.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

All the fires are keeping the criminals at bay, obviously.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

RattiRatto posted:

I'm just starting out.

Sounds like your fire trucks are getting stuck in traffic or something. Or they are on the wrong side of the road and are taking a super long way to get to the fire. You can solve the latter by putting them near roundabounts.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RattiRatto posted:

I'm just starting out.

I have never needed more than one police station. I typically upgrade to the bigger one with 25 cars but I've still never gotten a city big enough to need more than that. I kind of wonder if it's one of those vaguely euro-centric things (like how much cims loooove mass transit or how much better green energy is than coal).

Fire stations, yeah you need a few, especially if you have big blocks of Industrial zoning. I swear those buildings are made of asbestos.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i think you have fundamental misunderstandings of what asbestos is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BallsFalls posted:

Sounds about right... I've noticed you really don't need many police stations, especially compared with fire stations.

Not to keep the city running, no. But police stations give a pretty good boost to happiness if you're chasing max upgraded buildings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

crabrock posted:

i think you have fundamental misunderstandings of what asbestos is.

Start building hospitals now going to have a lot of lung cancer in 20-30 years.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

Not to keep the city running, no. But police stations give a pretty good boost to happiness if you're chasing max upgraded buildings.

It kind of bugs me that the game rewards spamming superfluous service buildings like this. It's a relatively minor complaint since I seem to get plenty of max-level buildings without doing this much (adequate service coverage and lots of park access usually does it), but it's still kind of silly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Anyone else find the school capacities low? I feel like I'm spamming them literally everywhere. I didn't grow up in a city though, my perception might be screwed.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Poizen Jam posted:

Anyone else find the school capacities low? I feel like I'm spamming them literally everywhere. I didn't grow up in a city though, my perception might be screwed.

300 for an elementary school seems about right for the little ones around here. That's only 10 to 15 classrooms.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Poizen Jam posted:

The numbers are in the right ballpark for where I live. There are also schools everywhere where too. Within a 2kmx4km area of my neighbourhood (two tiles in CS), there at least 3 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 3 high schools.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I think the point where you start to have to 'spam' schools is when/if you end up with a lot of dense residential. For low-density residential the demand is low enough that you don't necessarily need a grade school every third block, but if your city is apartment highrise hell you have a shitton more of the little brats to educate, and you don't really have the option of a 'high-capacity' school, all you can do is plop a bunch down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

It kind of bugs me that the game rewards spamming superfluous service buildings like this. It's a relatively minor complaint since I seem to get plenty of max-level buildings without doing this much (adequate service coverage and lots of park access usually does it), but it's still kind of silly.

This has been normal for every city builder ever made so I'm not super annoyed about it.

My main issue is there seems to be a disconnect between the happiness provided by the service, and how much of that service you actually need. Universities are the worst about this, capacity for 5000 students means you never, ever max out capacity. But to provide all residential in the city with the happiness bonus you can easily use 4 or more Universities.

Police is the same way, but crime suppression is comically broken in general.

Like you said it's not actually necessary to max out buildings, you can pick and choose, but it does make the happiness system feel disconnected with the actual benefit provided to the city.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I just go by the coverage map for a service. If everything is green I have enough, if not build more.

I end up wasting a good bit of money relocation services doing this, too. :shepspends:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I wish so long as you were not having problems with a service that automatically maxes it out. Is there a police station covering me? If yes, then max police happiness.

It would be cool to have some bigger schools. They are quite small in the game. Schools are often pretty big, taking up a whole block with buildings and play fields and such. Cities often have large office-building like schools that barely have any play field, or none at all.

I just went and measured the distance between elementary schools in my town. In a fairly mid-density area of just houses there's a school every 800m or so. But even these schools are all mostly bigger than the schools in the game. 300-600 capacity schools, and of course huge fields. Highschools are spaced out a bit more but generally much bigger with 1000-2000 kid capacities.

But in terms of the building having a capacity based on the model, if anything the capacities are a tiny bit high in Skylines as the buildings are fairly small. Thats just a problem with the game, the buildings are small. But in the real world it's better to have a bunch of tiny 300-kid elementary schools all over the city so everyone can walk to school vs a few huge ones were you have to deal with buses and poo poo.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 13, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The high school in my city had 3500 kids in it when I graduated (counting my graduating class), and they recently opened another one because they were already way overcapacity at that point and kept getting more kids.

I love when cities just let developers build poo poo tons of housing (more housing more housing more housing CRASH THE MARKETS MORE HOUSING!) and then no one improves the infrastructure so our city services built 20-30 years ago are suddenly expected to handle a crazy influx of people.

Someone somewhere in local government is getting kickbacks somehow, I am sure of it. Doesn't help that our mayor ran unopposed last election.

I might run on a Cities: Skylines ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I spent a few seconds misunderstanding that sentence because I have a filthy mind.