Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

quote:

We have good news! We now have delivery date(s) for your item(s) listed below. We’ll send a confirmation when your items ship. If you would like to view the status of your entire order or make any changes to it, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.

Delivery Estimate Details
Placed on Saturday, December 27, 2014

Your new estimated delivery date is: Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Your shipping speed:
AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping

• Star Wars - Armada
Sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Just got my email

with one day shipping it should be at my house on Tuesday

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Anyone else having trouble with adjusting the stuff on the fighter stands without accidentally nudging them slightly out of place? It's not a huge deal for a casual player like me but x-wing was fairly precise and you didn't have to touch the models quite so much.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kore_Fero posted:

Anyone else having trouble with adjusting the stuff on the fighter stands without accidentally nudging them slightly out of place? It's not a huge deal for a casual player like me but x-wing was fairly precise and you didn't have to touch the models quite so much.

Thankfully in Armada, positioning of fighters is not nearly as precise as X-Wing. We usually just pick up the token, adjust, and place it back in approximately the same spot. Use a spot marker if you want to be more precise.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, when the fighters get into a big furball its hard to fiddle with their bases. But fighters in armada are represented pretty loosely anyways, what with moving in any direction and the whole engagement mechanic. Once your fighters are stuck in with each other their exact placement really only matters to capital ships, and it's pretty hard to nudge a fighter stand out of an arc if you take just a little bit of care.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
It just struck me as a thing that might possibly cause an issue in a game at some point though I appreciate that the bases remove the need for more tokens (or exceptional memory). I think I will place a coin or something to mark their position while fiddling with the fighters. TIEs tend to die in a single attack anyway :v:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Yeah, every game I've played so far we've been pretty loose with the squadrons' positioning, just picking them up and twisting the dial, and putting them back. If somebody is worried about something being moved out of a firing arc it's barely in, or out of engaged distance, you can double check to be sure it gets put back within that distance fairly easily, but so far everybody's just been letting things go. This may change a bit once the squadron packs come out, but for now I'm liking the laid back approach, and have yet to encounter someone behaving maliciously with regards to positioning.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Fuckers. Ordered Jan 6th and Ive got nothing yet

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I feel bad for you guys. I ordered mine on miniatures market on Wednesday and it got here yesterday on standard shipping

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I feel bad for you guys. I ordered mine on miniatures market on Wednesday and it got here yesterday on standard shipping

Eh with exchange rates and shipping it works out to around $80AUD; that's half the price locally assuming you can find anyone with stock. The shipping from any other US or international stores makes it just as expensive if not more so than local stock.

Oh well, it's not like I've got anyone to play with so i guess i can play the waiting game.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I've now got 4 games under my belt (where i've won... 1?) i've played as imperials most of the time, and they'll be the faction i'll build my collection around since i have mostly rebels in X-wing. This game basically satisfies my spacecombat itch i've had since i tried Battlefleet Gothic for the first time.

I think my expansion path will be a box of imperial squadrons, a second victory class, an imperial class and then use this as my core. a gladiator class is also in my sights because it just looks cool

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kore_Fero posted:

I'm hoping that with use, the motion will free up enough on the sliders and discs that they'll be manipulable without having to pick them up.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice for playing the rebels side of an Imperial Assault campaign. My girlfriend and I played through a campaign and it seemed pretty even the whole time. She played the Jedi and female Han Solo and they seemed to work pretty well. I think we went back and forth most missions until the end.

We flipped sides and I chose Gaarkhan and Mak to check out some new characters and I'm getting destroyed. So far I won the first mission and I've lost the next 5. Either racing for objectives or on missions where I need to kill things I find that Mak is hardly able to do anything. I can see him being decent with a team of 3 or 4 rebel characters but he seems pretty poor with just 1 other character. Any advice for playing these guys together?

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Iron_Chef posted:

Eh with exchange rates and shipping it works out to around $80AUD; that's half the price locally assuming you can find anyone with stock. The shipping from any other US or international stores makes it just as expensive if not more so than local stock.

Oh well, it's not like I've got anyone to play with so i guess i can play the waiting game.

Wooo! From no communication to shipped. Some time early May I might get to unbox.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Iron_Chef posted:

We make a group order off Minature Market and usually save a bit each.

Should have the core set tomorrow hopefully, it's been floating around NZ for far longer than the rest of the trip took.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Played my first game of Armada yesterday using the starter box. I was Rebels, and happened to randomly draw the Ambush scenario. While my ships escaped I lost and X-wing squadron early and was not able to line up any good anti fighter shots with my Nebulan B, so he whittled down my remaining fighters.His VSD and my ships traded fire but in 6 rounds neither of us ever managed to get through the others shields. My ships got going at high speeds, which resulted in me mostly overshooting the VSD and neither of use getting very many good shot. All in all though it was tons of fun, and I have successfully convinced my friend that this is a game that he will want to play in the future.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The fire-then-move mechanic makes for some very odd stern chases.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For anyone wondering if it's worth buying the FFG playmat for Armada/Xwing/Whatever. Played on mine after it arrived in the mail last week and the thing holds to the table like it was glued to it. Vinyl mats have this slight tendency to shift around a little while the neoprene FFG mat doesn't budge at all. Thing's pretty much a big mouse pad. Moving ships around on it feels good and dice bounce off the surface nicely. It's not especially thick and rolls up real easy. You'll have to keep the box it comes in though since it doesn't come with a storage tube.

Other than for verity I don't see myself willingly playing my other mat which is a Gale Force 9 vinyl starfield. So I recommend it to any goon humming and hawing about spending more money on Star Wars spaceship stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Frontline has a connecting pair of 3x3 space fat mats, and a couple of other options in 3x3, 4x4 and 6x4, same neoprene mousepad material

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

NTRabbit posted:

Frontline has a connecting pair of 3x3 space fat mats, and a couple of other options in 3x3, 4x4 and 6x4, same neoprene mousepad material

For a hundred dollars? Hell no. The official FFG playmats are a great material, cost 20% less for a pair of them, and are tournament-legal.

You can argue that the official playmats being the only tournament-legal playmats is mostly FFG grabbing for money, and I'd generally agree ... BUT ... the FFG playmats are the highest-quality playmats I've personally seen or used. They're neopreme, the nice grippy back and the nice top surface, thinner and more lightweight than the other neoprene playmat I own, but still more satisfying to move ships and throw dice. For the same $40 I paid for the inferior playmat. I can't actually be mad, because I think it's a superior product.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've never played in a tabletop game tournament and really don't ever plan to, so tournament legal means nothing to me. I have a couple fat mats and found them to be excellent, so I thought I'd share, that's all. For me the 6x4 mat is better than a 6x3 because I can use it for Firestorm Armada as well.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I know a lot of people in my area have bought armada because it has sold out twice at the gaming shop and the gaming club themselves have moved a lot of copies. Struggling to find people to play with though, hopefully after the x-wing store champs it picks up again.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So being at long range in Armada is not the almost guaranteed miss that it is in X-Wing, especially with the Victory Class and it's 3 dice at long range. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So being at long range in Armada is not the almost guaranteed miss that it is in X-Wing, especially with the Victory Class and it's 3 dice at long range. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Also close range is not the guaranteed buttload of damage that it sounds like at first, because Brace defense tokens mean you can half eight damage into four. Four damage is still bruising, but not crushing the way eight is.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Having the blue dice guaranteed to do something is pretty interesting. The other dice have more damage potential but it seems to encourage a strategy around floating around medium range so you can dip into that blue damage/utility pool.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Cobbsprite posted:

Also close range is not the guaranteed buttload of damage that it sounds like at first, because Brace defense tokens mean you can half eight damage into four. Four damage is still bruising, but not crushing the way eight is.
But at medium/long range, you can use evasive tokens. Game is designed to have more than one ship firing at something at once in order to get over defenses, it seems balanced overall.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cobbsprite posted:

For a hundred dollars? Hell no. The official FFG playmats are a great material, cost 20% less for a pair of them, and are tournament-legal.

You can argue that the official playmats being the only tournament-legal playmats is mostly FFG grabbing for money, and I'd generally agree ... BUT ... the FFG playmats are the highest-quality playmats I've personally seen or used. They're neopreme, the nice grippy back and the nice top surface, thinner and more lightweight than the other neoprene playmat I own, but still more satisfying to move ships and throw dice. For the same $40 I paid for the inferior playmat. I can't actually be mad, because I think it's a superior product.

Grip mats are much better. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/gripmat-get-a-grip-on-your-game

Not sure where you can get them now, they sold them at last year's Gencon. They are super great and not as slippery as the mousepad ones.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

Unless you're running a VSD-1 with Dominator on a concentrate fire order and you roll three accuracy dice and 8 damage with a black critical hit to trip concussion missiles OHMYGAWD it is so fun when you find an enemy capital ship at range 1 of your forward arc.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Tekopo posted:

But at medium/long range, you can use evasive tokens. Game is designed to have more than one ship firing at something at once in order to get over defenses, it seems balanced overall.

I agree. In my first game neither of us did enough damage to really hurt each other because my opponents VSD could not get close enough to my ships, and I foolishly had one ship go to each side of him so i could not focus on one side of his shields...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Played the intro game. I was Imperial and found it pretty difficult to set up my VSD. I don't think I got a single forward medium/close shot off the whole game. And those Rebel ships are pretty good at long range. Similar dice but they also have the evade...

I also sucked using the 3 commands, really didn't like it when my opponent only had a 1 and 2 stack to work with.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Played the intro game. I was Imperial and found it pretty difficult to set up my VSD. I don't think I got a single forward medium/close shot off the whole game. And those Rebel ships are pretty good at long range. Similar dice but they also have the evade...

I also sucked using the 3 commands, really didn't like it when my opponent only had a 1 and 2 stack to work with.

ya the speed of the rebels really helps get out of the front arc right now, I think that will change though once more ships are on the board as the Imps will be able to set up kill zones that the rebels will have harder times keeping out of.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, when I played a 300 point game with two VSDs it seemed difficult for the rebels to totally avoid my firepower (also, two broadsides from VSDs are still nasty).

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I had a lot of fun using a corvette B Dodonna's pride (commanded by Dodonna of course) popping crits on the VSD every turn I was in medium range. In the starter box, it really seems like it's the rebel's game to lose, I completely dominated one game while playing carefully and flying around at top speed, I kept each ship in a single arc at a time, just out of close range. I lost the second game really quickly because I was super overconfident from the previous game, and accidentally flew the Pride into front and right arcs at close range, losing it in a single turn.

That starter box seems very well balanced, despite seeming harsh one way or the other the first time you play it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

alchahest posted:

I had a lot of fun using a corvette B Dodonna's pride (commanded by Dodonna of course) popping crits on the VSD every turn I was in medium range. In the starter box, it really seems like it's the rebel's game to lose, I completely dominated one game while playing carefully and flying around at top speed, I kept each ship in a single arc at a time, just out of close range. I lost the second game really quickly because I was super overconfident from the previous game, and accidentally flew the Pride into front and right arcs at close range, losing it in a single turn.

That starter box seems very well balanced, despite seeming harsh one way or the other the first time you play it.

It really seems up to play. It's easy to get a ship crushed as the rebels if you fly it into a bad spot, and it's easy to flounder about as the Imperials and fail to get anything into position for a good shot. Right now everyone is still getting a feel for how the two factions roll, and I think we'll see more decisive engagements as people get the hang of it and Wave 1 hits stores.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

AndyElusive posted:

For anyone wondering if it's worth buying the FFG playmat for Armada/Xwing/Whatever. Played on mine after it arrived in the mail last week and the thing holds to the table like it was glued to it. Vinyl mats have this slight tendency to shift around a little while the neoprene FFG mat doesn't budge at all. Thing's pretty much a big mouse pad. Moving ships around on it feels good and dice bounce off the surface nicely. It's not especially thick and rolls up real easy. You'll have to keep the box it comes in though since it doesn't come with a storage tube.

Other than for verity I don't see myself willingly playing my other mat which is a Gale Force 9 vinyl starfield. So I recommend it to any goon humming and hawing about spending more money on Star Wars spaceship stuff.
I got the FFG starfield mat, and it works decently for X-Wing. It grips the table really good, but the surface is still a little bit slippery and allows the slightest bumps to move your ships around. It is also just slightly glossy... not enough to look bad, but it is very poor at reflecting a line laser if you are aiming it away from you. If you aim it towards yourself, it is highly visible, but this means using a laser for LOS requires two people in most situations.

Here is a very no-frills alternative: http://www.lowes.com/Search=shelf+l...N%5B%5D=1z10wbp

Check out your local hardware store for black shelf liner. You can usually find rolls that are 12 inches by 6-7 feet for less than $10 each. Three of them together make a flat, matte, *very* grippy surface of 3x6 for a total price of less than $30. The stuff I bought is pretty similar to the one in the link above, and is maybe 1/8th of an inch thick. It is VERY grippy on both sides, and matte enough to reflect lasers at any angle. It looks very ghetto compared to a printed playmat, but for a space game it isn't too terrible.

Also, having 3 separate rolls makes it pretty easy to store in a regular grocery bag. The material is stiff enough that it doesn't curl easily and you can lay them side-by-side without gaps.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I have learned to fear luke skywalker and his ability to completely ignore shields. My opponent keeps rolling crithit on the black die... Never a blank

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Frobbe posted:

I have learned to fear luke skywalker and his ability to completely ignore shields. My opponent keeps rolling crithit on the black die... Never a blank

I tried to do that... but HowlRunner and his ties butchered my X-wings...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pash posted:

I tried to do that... but HowlRunner and his ties butchered my X-wings...

Her

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I cannot wait for the Imperial Squadrons expansion to come out. Mauler Mithel is gonna be a beast in TIE swarms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

By "his" I meant my opponent's, although I did write it in an easily misunderstandable way...