Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
God drat the general is 20 months away and already I'm yelling at hyperliberals about whether pragmatism (aka 'not voting third party') means being complicit in war crimes and also global warming and the eventual extinction of the human race. I want to go live in the woods until this is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Joementum posted:

*pauses awkwardly, reaches off screen, opens water bottle, takes a sip of water*

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

:golfclap:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
"Vote for Hillary? Can't you see that this bus is heading for a cliff, and we're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic that's on the bus, and our children will curse our names, and would you support a Democrat who was pro-life and also an admitted rapist?? NO? Then how can you support Hillary?"

"So what's your plan, then?"

"Not voting for WAR CRIMINALS"

"I mean the plan that doesn't result in a Republican in the White H-"

"WAR CRIMINALS!"

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So there's an article in TalkingPointsMemo that says Ben Carson is actually going to announce in May. Setting aside the issue of lack of money, experience, knowledge and everything else it takes to win, is he actually angling for the VP spot. Would he even be acceptable as a VP, what would he bring to the game other than being one of the good ones on display to show how un-racist the GOP is?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I learned a lot in this speech. 1999 was the worst year in American history. Truly, bad times to which we should never return.

Also, the American dream is that if you work hard enough your children can give up an important and high paying job to run for President.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

showbiz_liz posted:

God drat the general is 20 months away and already I'm yelling at hyperliberals about whether pragmatism (aka 'not voting third party') means being complicit in war crimes and also global warming and the eventual extinction of the human race. I want to go live in the woods until this is over.

Conservatives and effective Democrats are able to focus on real issues because you don't accept the premise that 'America is not exceptional'. You free yourself to focus on the real issues when you know in your heart of hearts the truth that America does not commit war crimes nor human rights violations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

showbiz_liz posted:

"Vote for Hillary? Can't you see that this bus is heading for a cliff, and we're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic that's on the bus, and our children will curse our names, and would you support a Democrat who was pro-life and also an admitted rapist?? NO? Then how can you support Hillary?"

"So what's your plan, then?"

"Not voting for WAR CRIMINALS"

"I mean the plan that doesn't result in a Republican in the White H-"

"WAR CRIMINALS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

So that's a share of what, 1? And probably mostly int he wrong age group?

.5 for the 18 to 49s, same as the Daily Show gets, incidentally. Nightly show was down at .3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

I learned a lot in this speech. 1999 was the worst year in American history. Truly, bad times to which we should never return.

Also, the American dream is that if you work hard enough your children can give up an important and high paying job to run for President.

99 huh? Figure he woulda gone for 08 at least.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

So there's an article in TalkingPointsMemo that says Ben Carson is actually going to announce in May. Setting aside the issue of lack of money, experience, knowledge and everything else it takes to win, is he actually angling for the VP spot. Would he even be acceptable as a VP, what would he bring to the game other than being one of the good ones on display to show how un-racist the GOP is?

It would be a Palin-level mistake to pick him as a VP. He has no political experience and has careened from making one statement after another in the last six months that shows he doesn't really know what he's talking about on policy. He'll have a bit more time than she did to read up on the topics, but it won't be enough. And that's not even getting into his 7th Day Adventist beliefs.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 13, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got it at >50% that Rubio is the nominee.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

site posted:

99 huh? Figure he woulda gone for 08 at least.

For some reason he mentioned that 1999 was literally the worst time for America and the economy was really bad and the President was even worse!

Seriously though I bet that was actually a dig at Bill Clinton, although it's beyond me why you would pick his last full year in office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Arkane posted:

I got it at >50% that Rubio is the nominee.

Not an unreasonable bet, in my opinion. He's one of the three possible nominees right now.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

It would be a Palin-level mistake to pick him as a VP. He has no political experience and has careened from making one statement after another in the last six months that shows he doesn't really know what he's talking about on policy. He'll have a bit more time than she did to read up on the topics, but it won't be enough. And that's not even getting into his 7th Day Adventist beliefs.

The only hope Carson has for getting the nod is if race becomes a serious issue in 2016 due to spreading civil unrest and continued blue-on-black shootings.

Joementum posted:

Not an unreasonable bet, in my opinion. He's one of the three possible nominees right now.

Rubio, Walker, and, uhh......uhhh.....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Beeftweeter posted:

For some reason he mentioned that 1999 was literally the worst time for America and the economy was really bad and the President was even worse!

Seriously though I bet that was actually a dig at Bill Clinton, although it's beyond me why you would pick his last full year in office.
Was the economy actually bad in 99?

I thought Bill had left us with a surplus?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yeah, he's no great shakes, but he's very lucky that both Jeb and Walker are somehow even worse on television than he is.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The economy was incredible in 1999.

It went to poo poo in the latter part of 2000.

No way Hillary is greater than 50% to beat Rubio, right? 50/50 at best, possibly even 60/40 Rubio. The two of them debating will be Nixon Kennedy all over again.

She better pray he flames out in the primaries.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Arkane posted:

The two of them debating will be Nixon Kennedy all over again.

Depends on whether the debate rules let him bring a water bottle :v:

I'd give Hillary the advantage now over Republican challengers because the fundamentals (economy and Obama's favorability) are trending in favor of the Democratic party, but it's by no means a lock.

They'll both get a lot of experience in the next year and a half.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Joementum posted:

They'll both get a lot of experience in the next year and a half.

If Rubio turns out to be teachable he could be really deadly. Have us go through the sort of normal recession we're supposedly due for and he could easily be the favorite.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Arkane posted:

No way Hillary is greater than 50% to beat Rubio, right? 50/50 at best, possibly even 60/40 Rubio. The two of them debating will be Nixon Kennedy all over again.

:allears:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Personally I think Huntsman could still win it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i am a literal crazy person who thinks rand paul will win the r nomination

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sir Kodiak posted:

If Rubio turns out to be teachable he could be really deadly. Have us go through the sort of normal recession we're supposedly due for and he could easily be the favorite.

We already went through that recession, Hillary will cruise on the back of a good economy and nothing really important happening abroad and then somehow manage to gently caress it all up in four years because she has terrible luck (opposite of Obama who's just been perpetually lucky over and over again.)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm a big fan of Rubio. He's one of the best (if not the best) of the current crop of GOP contenders that actually does a good job of bridging the gap between traditional conservative ideals and tangible policy outcomes. The past two election cycles, they've had a lot of trouble because they essentially just sold CONSERVATISM as an end in and of itself, while everyone else was basically asking "well how do conservative values actually help us?"

He's also the perfect foil for Hillary character wise. The guy just finished paying off his student loans several years ago, comes from a family of immigrants, is young, etc. If it ends up being Hillary vs. Rubio, the narrative is pretty obvious.

I think he's going to have a lot of trouble dealing with the Bush juggernaut, and it's a zero-sum game between them in Florida, but I hope he can manage it.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 14, 2015

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Rubio, Walker, and, uhh......uhhh.....

Jeb.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

site posted:

Was the economy actually bad in 99?

I thought Bill had left us with a surplus?

Pretty sure the economy in 1999 was significantly better off than its been since 2001. Even if the Dotcom bubble bursting gets tossed in there it's nothing compared to the housing crisis or continuing student loan debt problems.

e: Rubio surviving the primaries to be the one in the general would be interesting but anyone who thinks he wouldn't be a hard right tacking president (except on immigration, maybe) is pants on head retarded.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The 1999 thing was a Prince reference, bros, not a specific thing about that year.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I just don't see Rubio as a strong candidate, mainly in the primary. He could be a threat in the general if he learns how to loving speak. He just seems very bland, aimless, and opportunistic --- if the Republicans go with a Florida nominee, it's gonna be Jeb. And I don't think Rand Paul winning the nod is out of the question. Ben Carson would fill the role of "batshit insane conservative successful in one field and decides to try politics" that Herman Cain filled last cycle. Cain at least had a failed senate run to his name, though.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

railroad terror posted:

He could be a threat in the general if he learns how to loving speak.

I've heard many criticisms of Rubio and this has never, ever been one of them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamnit

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Arkane posted:

The 1999 thing was a Prince reference, bros, not a specific thing about that year.

Funky, if true.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

mdemone posted:

Joe, I accepted that you knew off the top of your head which Presidents did not have dogs, but this is a bridge too far. Are you Skynet?

Hillary's order is in basically all the news stories on this. That should give you an idea of how horny and desperate the 24-hour news folks are for this campaign to begin in earnest. In my mind I'm imagining her Scooby-Do van being trailed by like 3 newsvans and a couple of reporters in Priuses.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arkane posted:

lol you think the GOP will nominate someone with a Hispanic last name, funny.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

From Michelle Malkin's website portal

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
People still read Michelle Malkin?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

People still read Michelle Malkin?

Her website Twitchy is like a hive of republican idiocy sexism, homophobia, ageism etc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Venom Snake posted:

lol you think the GOP will nominate someone with a Hispanic last name, funny.

They've nominated a Mormon and a Quebecois, so... oh wait, those are both whiter than any other group of white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

They've nominated a Mormon and a Quebecois, so... oh wait, those are both whiter than any other group of white people.

Rubio is just white enough to be able to be allowed to speak without to much scrutiny, but once the competition starts up he will be swept under the rug after a short time in the lime light like every minority republican candidate.

Narco Ruben also doesn't realize nobody gives a poo poo about Cuba anymore.

• Locked thread