Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

khwarezm posted:

You'd think but theres a huge ginger outpost in the middle of Russia:

I think that russian outpost is the tatar republic so I guess they also have the red-head gene.

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder how much of that is due to historical English otherization of people from their subject nations.

Approx 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I suspect sometime in the next few decades we're going to figure out how to let people pick their child's hair color, and rarer colors like natural blonde or red are going to be extremely popular. I'm not too worried for the endangered North Eurasian Ginger.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I'm guessing the redhead colony in Flanders is due to the close economic ties between British wool and Flanders textiles in the Middle Ages leading to some migrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheBalor posted:

I suspect sometime in the next few decades we're going to figure out how to let people pick their child's hair color, and rarer colors like natural blonde or red are going to be extremely popular. I'm not too worried for the endangered North Eurasian Ginger.
The technology required to be able to pick your child's hair color would also enable you to pick their skin color I think. Looking forward to every moderately successful darker skinned person investing in their children's future by making them light skinned.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Those red-heads in Russia are Udmurts, not Tatars. Here are some Udmurts:

Also, neat how there are slightly more blondes in Vannes than in most of the rest of Brittany as that was one of the areas attacked earliest and most often by Vikings.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Kulkasha posted:

I'm guessing the redhead colony in Flanders is due to the close economic ties between British wool and Flanders textiles in the Middle Ages leading to some migrations.

It could go even further back, the belgae who were the tribe that inhabited that area in roman times (hence belgium) were very closely linked with the britons to the extent that they might have been the same thing.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The technology required to be able to pick your child's hair color would also enable you to pick their skin color I think. Looking forward to every moderately successful darker skinned person investing in their children's future by making them light skinned.

And body modders insisting on exciting new color palettes for their children.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My Children will be green and blue.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes, but can you imagine the schadenfreude when white racists see white people engineering themselves dark children and vice-versa? I look forward to giggling over them obscenely before my elderly self is shoved in the soylent vat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are anime-crazed parents out there who would gladly assign blue or green or pink hair to their children. We've already seen kids being named "Aeris" or whatever, this is the next step. It'd make a nice dystopian sci-fi short story, I think.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jay Rust posted:

There are anime-crazed parents out there who would gladly assign blue or green or pink hair to their children. We've already seen kids being named "Aeris" or whatever, this is the next step. It'd make a nice dystopian sci-fi short story, I think.

Naruto Goku Sephiroth Williams walks into his kindergarten class...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's going to take him so loving long to power up in this story.

Also, ironically in this dystopian future Japan will still be 100% Japanese looking.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Orange Devil posted:

It's going to take him so loving long to power up in this story.

He'll have a Crowning Moment Of Badass once he's in high school and he finally gets sick of this hot, sociable jock dating some girl he stalks and flips out and beats him up, making him crawl away crying "That kid...is inhuman!"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It could go even further back, the belgae who were the tribe that inhabited that area in roman times (hence belgium) were very closely linked with the britons to the extent that they might have been the same thing.

I agree, I think it's more that there's a significant Celtic substratum in both England and Flanders (and that region of Western Europe in general). Language can be an important indicator of genetic background, but only to an extent. You have a ton of different influences there.

TheBalor posted:

Blonde would obviously be popular (for girls). Red hair, though? I'm not so sure, maybe if they can tweak the skin as well so it's not the kind of sickly pale color that people associate with redheads.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 13, 2015

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't have the map handy, but I thought I remember that, according to an analysis of haplogroup make-up of the population, Belgians and Englishmen are each other's closest genetic cousins.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Soviet Commubot posted:

Those red-heads in Russia are Udmurts, not Tatars. Here are some Udmurts:

One of them has horns, are they jews?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Still a better name than her kid will have:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I think that blonde map has at least two errors:
- There's a group of blonde people in western china.
- there should be some blonde/red haired Sicilians (Vikings again)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mano posted:

How many blonde Sicilians are there? Roughly a tenth of the population could be blonde and still be the darkest color on that map.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mano posted:

Normans more specifically, and do you have actual solid data that can show that blonde hair is above ten percent of the population in either of those places?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'll give my kids red and green hair just to gently caress with the colourblind.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Torrannor posted:

Naruto? Really?

Are you going to tell me he ISNT blond?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Are you going to tell me he ISNT blond?

Honorary Aryans and all that

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Red hair is more of a British/Irish thing, or so I've been led to believe.

Isn't red hair much less common in Ireland than it is in Scotland and Wales, and also Scandinavia? Way I've heard it is that Irish people mostly have dark brown or black hair with a good number of people with blond and red hair, proportionally higher in the east and north (where you had Brits and Scandinavians settle).

edit: Though that conflicts with that map at the top of the page, though I think I've seen maps where it looks different.

e2: maybe the maps I saw just was frequency of light hair colors in general? and it turns out that in Ireland/Scotland/Wales red hair is the most common of those.
Can't remember ever having seen a Welsh ginger though, but ofcourse that doesn't really say anything.

e3: Did meet a Palestinian ginger in the West Bank though, I don't think I've ever seen so many freckles.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 13, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
The problem with your thinking is that you assume the centre of Insular Celtic (who are just as British as the English) genotypes is Ireland. Most likely because of the Gaelic settlement of north and western Scotland. And anyway the map doesn't conflict with the majority of Irish having brown hair that will pretty much always be the case outside of Scandinavia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rumda posted:

The problem with your thinking is that you assume the centre of Insular Celtic (who are just as British as the English) genotypes is Ireland. Most likely because of the Gaelic settlement of north and western Scotland. And anyway the map doesn't conflict with the majority of Irish having brown hair that will pretty much always be the case outside of Scandinavia.

Yeah I had that thought myself.
Is blond hair really the most common one in Scandinavia though? It might be in Sweden, and maybe Finland, but I'm not so sure about Norway and Denmark. Being Norwegian myself I think its also slightly interesting (though not more than slightly) to point out that the most common "blond" hair color in Norway is some sort of dark dirty blond/brown thing (which easily bleaches in the summer), usually called "kommunebrun/kommunegrå" ("commune brown/grey") or something. Truly "pretty" blond hair is rare or is the case of someone dyeing their hair (which is really common for women with the "kommmunegrå" hair color, because its usually seen as unattractive).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 13, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Is blond hair really the most common one in Scandinavia though? It might be in Sweden, and maybe Finland, but I'm not so sure about Norway and Denmark. Being Norwegian myself I think its also slightly interesting (though not more than slightly) to point out that the most common "blond" hair color in Norway is some sort of dark dirty blond/brown thing (which easily bleaches in the summer), usually called "kommunebrun/kommunegrå" ("commune brown/grey") or something. Truly "pretty" blond hair is rare or is the case of someone dyeing their hair (which is really common for women with the "kommmunegrå" hair color, because its usually seen as unattractive).

Maybe it is due to all the women the Norwegian Vikings brought back with them from their raids.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I was just going to post something similar, for Denmark. I do see blondes with truly non-dyed stereotypical blonde blonde hair, but generally "blonde hair" is of the slightly dirtier variety, and even then I don't think it's as common as a lot of these maps make it seem like. I suppose we might be a bit more selective in what we would call light or blonde hair than people from places where it's comparatively rarer?

Is this what you think of when you think "kommunebrun"? That's what we in Denmark would call "kommunefarve" (commune color) or more commonly in my experience, leverpostejfarvet (liver pate colored.). How does everyone else feel about that hair color? How would you classify it?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Normans more specifically, and do you have actual solid data that can show that blonde hair is above ten percent of the population in either of those places?

No hard data and no idea how many, didn't realize the scale. I just know that it's a surprising amount for the generally dark-haired Italians.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Randarkman posted:

Isn't red hair much less common in Ireland than it is in Scotland and Wales, and also Scandinavia? Way I've heard it is that Irish people mostly have dark brown or black hair with a good number of people with blond and red hair, proportionally higher in the east and north (where you had Brits and Scandinavians settle).

edit: Though that conflicts with that map at the top of the page, though I think I've seen maps where it looks different.

e2: maybe the maps I saw just was frequency of light hair colors in general? and it turns out that in Ireland/Scotland/Wales red hair is the most common of those.
Can't remember ever having seen a Welsh ginger though, but ofcourse that doesn't really say anything.

e3: Did meet a Palestinian ginger in the West Bank though, I don't think I've ever seen so many freckles.

I'm Irish and I can guarantee this place has lots of redheads, especially compared to Wales, as a fully independent country it has the highest proportion in the world in fact (one of the records we would have lost to the scots if they went independent last year :v:). I think that the Viking origin of red hair here is too exaggerated, it was associated with Celts by Greeks and Romans well before the Viking raids and some people even think some of it was given to the Norse by British/Irish people they married or enslaved.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was just going to post something similar, for Denmark. I do see blondes with truly non-dyed stereotypical blonde blonde hair, but generally "blonde hair" is of the slightly dirtier variety, and even then I don't think it's as common as a lot of these maps make it seem like. I suppose we might be a bit more selective in what we would call light or blonde hair than people from places where it's comparatively rarer?

Is this what you think of when you think "kommunebrun"? That's what we in Denmark would call "kommunefarve" (commune color) or more commonly in my experience, leverpostejfarvet (liver pate colored.). How does everyone else feel about that hair color? How would you classify it?

Yeah that's what I mean. I guess in English people call it "mousy" or "straw" or somehing, I dunno. I'm pretty sure it's the most common natural hair color in Norway (with emphasis on natural, because alot of people dye it away). As for it being blond (I get that you are asking others to say whether it is blond or not), I guess so, but the thing though is that it really depends on the season, because it bleaches so easily in the sun, in the winter it basically looks greyish-brown (especially in Norway where winters are generally very dark, especially so further north).

How about Sweden though? I think that the general stereotype, in Norway at least, is that they are a bunch of white-blond motherfuckers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That picture has somewhat odd lighting that makes her hair look a bit grey, but I'd say Taylor Swift's hair color would probably be most accurately described in english as "dirty blonde", which is sort of halfway between brown and true blonde. The particular hair colour in that picture including the lighting is what I'd call Ash Blonde (which is usually blonde hair with bits of grey, black and brown depending on how the light catches it).

However, I think most English speaking people don't tend to get more specific than "blond", "brown" and "red" unless you're talking to your hairdresser or something where you need to be particularly specific. In which case I'd call that Blonde.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I'm Irish and I can guarantee this place has lots of redheads, especially compared to Wales, as a fully independent country it has the highest proportion in the world in fact (one of the records we would have lost to the scots if they went independent last year :v:). I think that the Viking origin of red hair here is too exaggerated, it was associated with Celts by Greeks and Romans well before the Viking raids and some people even think some of it was given to the Norse by British/Irish people they married or enslaved.

Ok. That pretty much settles it.
Just out of curiosity, regarding the Roman association of red hair with Celts was that referring to Celts in general or Britons in particular (or the inhabitants of Gallia Celtica)? Because as far as I can recall the Romans didn't really refer to all Celts as "Celts", "Celtica" was a name applied to a region of Gaul (the inhabitants of which were known as Celts), but was distininct from other places like Belgium, Narbonensis and Arvernia I think.

Reveilled posted:

That picture has somewhat odd lighting that makes her hair look a bit grey, but I'd say Taylor Swift's hair color would probably be most accurately described in english as "dirty blonde", which is sort of halfway between brown and true blonde. The particular hair colour in that picture including the lighting is what I'd call Ash Blonde (which is usually blonde hair with bits of grey, black and brown depending on how the light catches it).

However, I think most English speaking people don't tend to get more specific than "blond", "brown" and "red" unless you're talking to your hairdresser or something where you need to be particularly specific. In which case I'd call that Blonde.

The hair color does look gray though, its not really the lighting thats odd (it might be in that picture though). But yeah, people would likely just call it "blond" outside of Scandinavia I guess, where as I said its regarded as more of a disticint hair color and an unattractive one at that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 13, 2015

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Randarkman posted:

Ok. That pretty much settles it.
Just out of curiosity, regarding the Roman association of red hair with Celts was that referring to Celts in general or Britons in particular (or the inhabitants of Gallia Celtica)? Because as far as I can recall the Romans didn't really refer to all Celts as "Celts", "Celtica" was a name applied to a region of Gaul (the inhabitants of which were known as Celts), but was distininct from other places like Belgium, Narbonensis and Arvernia I think.

Well, just regarding Britain, one of the most notorious British rebels, Boadicea, was described by Dio as having all this freaky red hair, as well being massive and having a commanding voice. Even if its not a truly accurate despriction it could offer an insight as to what characteristics the Romans associated 'Those people' with.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I'd call that Taylor Swift colour dirty blonde, but definitely blonde if I had to choose between blonde, brown or grey.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Randarkman posted:

Yeah that's what I mean. I guess in English people call it "mousy" or "straw" or somehing, I dunno. I'm pretty sure it's the most common natural hair color in Norway (with emphasis on natural, because alot of people dye it away). As for it being blond (I get that you are asking others to say whether it is blond or not), I guess so, but the thing though is that it really depends on the season, because it bleaches so easily in the sun, in the winter it basically looks greyish-brown (especially in Norway where winters are generally very dark, especially so further north).

How about Sweden though? I think that the general stereotype, in Norway at least, is that they are a bunch of white-blond motherfuckers.

Speaking of mousy, in Swedish, the colloquial term for that shade is "Råttfärgat" (rat-colored).

Speaking as a Swede, what you describe about Norway might as well describe what i see over here . That 65% blonde figure on the map seems accurate if you include lightbrown hair.
But for "true" natural blonds (white-blond or yellow/golden shades), if i had to guess a percentage based on my anecdotal experiences, i would put it at 10-15%. Excluding children, who can go from lightblonde to lightbrown/brown when growing up.

I always thought that among Scandinavians, Danes were the most lighthaired. Especially among men, never seen as many white-blonde men as in Denmark.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Mano posted:

That blob in Xinjiang is referring to Uyghurs, who (like many Central Asian peoples, Mongolians includes) include the occasional blond and redhead.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Red hair was associated by the Greeks and Romans with a lot of peoples to their north, not just the Celts. Ancient writers also ascribed red hair to the Sarmatians and the Daco-Thracians. It's a bit odd to note that the places those people lived (Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, and Ukraine) have no incidence of red hair on that map.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
maps maps maops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not a map, but close enough

Is "THE HOLE LEFT BY THE CHRISTIAN DARK AGES" too long for an SA username?