Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

bpower posted:

There's a document written by value on how to monetise free to play games. They discuss things like how they came to decide on gun skins and how the the economy is built. In one section they list the factors that affect the price of skins. Rarity is the main one I think , but one of the most important was how often a weapon is used. Im certain the main thing driving the insane compulsion to make all weapon 'viable' is the price of skins on the market place. :tinfoil:

you'll notice that the recent change to make stattraks trade-uppable has "fixed" a lot of the prices of blue and purple stattrak weapons

I sometimes wonder exactly how much influence Yanis Varoufakis had on the cs:go skin economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Found the document, its very interesting even if it is full of business wank talk.

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2014/gdc_2014_grimes_csgo_econ_content.pdf

Seems reasonable they'd try to increase the number of highly "conspicuous" weapons.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ixtlilton posted:

At all seriously? Like 2 months.

I started playing again a while ago and my aim was as good as always after a small amount of practice on 128 tick DM servers, but I had forgotten lots of map knowledge and game sense, and I started around nova 2. I think theoretically someone with really really bad game sense but good aim would be around a silver elite, but I think it's more likely it's your aim instead of game sense, because even someone who's read and digested the OP of this thread and done nothing more should be better than silver elite

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 14, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

icantfindaname posted:

I started playing again a while ago and my aim was as good as always after a small amount of practice on 128 tick DM servers, but I had forgotten lots of map knowledge and game sense, and I started around nova 2. I think theoretically someone with really really bad game sense but good aim would be around a silver elite, but I think it's more likely it's your aim instead of game sense, because even someone who's read and digested the OP of this thread and done nothing more should be better than silver elite

Game-sense is over-hyped because it's so much more measurable. 90% of the game is crosshair placement.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Lacedaemonius posted:

Game-sense is over-hyped because it's so much more measurable. 90% of the game is crosshair placement.

what

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Lacedaemonius posted:

Doesn't game sense impact where you're placing your crosshair, nooblord?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Akumos posted:

Please don't bring logic into this thread we've had a great run

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Lacedaemonius posted:

Exactly, everyone knows game sense is very precisely measured in seconds-spent-staring-at-B-tuns-after-Ts-have-taken-A-plat. I rate at about a 2.73, but I've seen a couple of 15+ in MM.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Did GTA releasing somehow gently caress up the Matchmaking servers?

My group of all east-coast guys have now played 3 games in a row of comp on west coast servers vs. all west coast people, 120+ ping each for us.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Akumos posted:

Please don't be a meaniehead, thank you. Game sense is a big part of crosshair placement, but it's a means to that end. The game is about clicking heads before they clicks yours, and because it's so hyper-lethal even crap like the dualies can kill armored opponents in a fraction of a second with perfect aim/luck. There's a whole lot you can do with the other 10%, and that's pretty much where all of the high level play and skill ceilling is, but quite frankly if you can click heads sufficiently well and consistently (which really is at an inhuman level when you're dealing with skilled players) you're unstoppable.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
MM servers have been hosed since the last update. My best guess is some sperglord with a botnet is really irrationally mad at valve.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Lacedaemonius posted:

Please don't be a meaniehead, thank you. Game sense is a big part of crosshair placement, but it's a means to that end. The game is about clicking heads before they clicks yours, and because it's so hyper-lethal even crap like the dualies can kill armored opponents in a fraction of a second with perfect aim/luck. There's a whole lot you can do with the other 10%, and that's pretty much where all of the high level play and skill ceilling is, but quite frankly if you can click heads sufficiently well and consistently (which really is at an inhuman level when you're dealing with skilled players) you're unstoppable.

Game sense can get you way further than pure aim

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Lacedaemonius posted:

I mean unless you train on a moving bot map for 5k-10k hours I really doubt you'd ever develop perfect aim before you develop good gayme sense.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Akumos posted:

I mean unless you train on a moving bot map for 5k-10k hours I really doubt you'd ever develop perfect aim before you develop good gayme sense.

Well the two improve in tandem, but the point is that people put a lot of emphasis on good game sense, knowing the smokes, nades etc. over reflexes and crosshair placement even though it's more valuable because:
1. There are insurmountable human/individual limits that cap your skill
2. It's incredibly hard to teach good crosshair placement
Point one is pretty disheartening for obvious reasons.
The closest we've seen to point two are mouse sensitivity and recoil patterns because they're the only things that can be academically taught and are discretely measurable. aborn may have been joking but he was right on the mark. There is no good way to quantify aim, to measure one's ability to twitch and flick shot under pressure, so instead the focus is on new and unique (but marginal) ways to smoke X from Y.

hello internet posted:

Game sense can get you way further than pure aim

It's a lot harder to win a game with no kills than just killing them all.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lacedaemonius posted:

i taught some low nova player good crosshair placement and postioning in about 20 minutes and they managed to rank up to the low mgs in about a week just following my advice

vehk
Jan 31, 2014
I think you've got it backwards or we might just have a different definition for gamesense. To me gamesense isn't smokes and nades. It's knowing the maps and correctly anticipating where enemy players will be and how to approach a given situation that is dynamically changing. Good crosshair placement occurs as a result of good gamesense.

I can top frag valve DM, wreck some bots in aim training and recoil train all day but I have lovely gamesense and thats why I'm Nova 3. Let's say its Nuke and someone calls 1 'Mustang' - ok even if I understand the call knowing how to react to that information is difficult for a new player. How do I counter a guy playing Mustang in a 3v2 situation, we 3 are all in the lobby, we don't know where the other CT player is? Maybe ramp? Might be heaven or mini. (I've learned if the missing guy in minineo always assume he's hiding in toxic) As a result a large portion of my deaths seem pretty stupid to a veteran player. The worst part is very few people offer advice on the correct play so the learning curve is really steep.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Lacedaemonius posted:

Well the two improve in tandem, but the point is that people put a lot of emphasis on good game sense, knowing the smokes, nades etc. over reflexes and crosshair placement even though it's more valuable because:
1. There are insurmountable human/individual limits that cap your skill
Point one is pretty disheartening for obvious reasons.
The closest we've seen to point two are mouse sensitivity and recoil patterns because they're the only things that can be academically taught and are discretely measurable. aborn may have been joking but he was right on the mark. There is no good way to quantify aim, to measure one's ability to twitch and flick shot under pressure, so instead the focus is on new and unique (but marginal) ways to smoke X from Y.

Counterpoint: I got to LE spraying a p90

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Of course it would happen now.

I tried to screenshot the game view but I took a screenshot of my desktop :saddowns:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

vehk posted:

I think you've got it backwards or we might just have a different definition for gamesense. To me gamesense isn't smokes and nades. It's knowing the maps and correctly anticipating where enemy players will be and how to approach a given situation that is dynamically changing. Good crosshair placement occurs as a result of good gamesense.

I can top frag valve DM, wreck some bots in aim training and recoil train all day but I have lovely gamesense and thats why I'm Nova 3. Let's say its Nuke and someone calls 1 'Mustang' - ok even if I understand the call knowing how to react to that information is difficult for a new player. How do I counter a guy playing Mustang in a 3v2 situation, we 3 are all in the lobby, we don't know where the other CT player is? Maybe ramp? Might be heaven or mini. (I've learned if the missing guy in minineo always assume he's hiding in toxic) As a result a large portion of my deaths seem pretty stupid to a veteran player. The worst part is very few people offer advice on the correct play so the learning curve is really steep.

You start singing "Let's all go to the lobby"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone else getting higher than normal ping on Valve servers today? Mine have been 100+ all day and they're usually below 80.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

The Ferret King posted:

Anyone else getting higher than normal ping on Valve servers today? Mine have been 100+ all day and they're usually below 80.

It's been fine for me, but I haven't played too much tonight. Speaking of which:

:woop:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
*flies around corner and headshots everyone in the thread with an mp7*

rekt fgts new meta life

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

mcvey posted:

*flies around corner and headshots everyone in the thread with an mp7*

rekt fgts new meta life

because thats so much worse than getting 1 shot awp from someone camping the site for 33 years isnt it, thu best thing about thu smg change is all the autistic purist video gamers becoming angry

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BurnBlackJay posted:

because thats so much worse than getting 1 shot awp from someone camping the site for 33 years isnt it, thu best thing about thu smg change is all the autistic purist video gamers becoming angry

:allears:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

BurnBlackJay posted:

Look at how cute you are. So precious.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Vaah posted:

It's been fine for me, but I haven't played too much tonight. Speaking of which:

:woop:

Weird, wonder if that'll fix itself or what.

Congrats.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

BurnBlackJay posted:

thu best thing about thu smg change is all the autistic purist video gamers becoming angry

back in my day you were supposed to buy a bizon after winning pistol :bahgawd: :2013:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Looked up specs and realised that my otherwise wonderful 16:10 is just 60hz :catstare:

Am I really obsessed/autistic enough to switch screens over this, though? (probably)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

BurnBlackJay posted:

Valve's target audience.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

BurnBlackJay posted:

because thats so much worse than getting 1 shot awp from someone camping the site for 33 years isnt it

I don't mind the changes at all, but how is this any different post patch? (it's not)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
new account +2nd - 16th round nova is awesome. 3/3 games ive converted the entire MM server to nova only.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I do love solo queuing a deag league game with vibes so strong, I convert the entire team and most of the enemy team into using the deag too.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

yes

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Last night I peaked mid on mirage with an awp and got the CT who was awping from window.

He used chat to complain about the new awp and I almost stopped playing to explain to him why that was a dumb thing to say.

Luckily I have good game sense and decided to keep playing.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013

Lacedaemonius posted:

It's a lot harder to win a game with no kills than just killing them all.

Let's take it to the extreme and compare the two best players in the world at their respective "fields", ScreaM and GeT_RiGhT. ScreaM has the best aim and crosshair placement in the world, while GTR has the best game sense. GTR has better stats in everything except HS% (including a higher average of kills per round) and has way more impact on his matches than ScreaM does. ScreaM has a more aesthetically appealing playstyle and is better at producing highlight-worthy frags, but that's about it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Cover side advantage is the dumbest thing about this game. The camera should be in the middle of your head, not one side.

Can't even use "the maps are balanced around it" excuse to defend it cause CS 1.6 had left eye advantage, not right.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Jessie Tanner posted:

Let's take it to the extreme and compare the two best players in the world at their respective "fields", ScreaM and GeT_RiGhT. ScreaM has the best aim and crosshair placement in the world, while GTR has the best game sense. GTR has better stats in everything except HS% (including a higher average of kills per round) and has way more impact on his matches than ScreaM does. ScreaM has a more aesthetically appealing playstyle and is better at producing highlight-worthy frags, but that's about it.

scream never had fifflaren to bait though

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Jessie Tanner posted:

I completely agree with your point, but kill stats are a total nonsense way to measure team impact. ScreaM is the spearpoint of his team for entry fragging, while GTR is basically a professional baiter. He will always be getting more kills, because more often than not ScreaM will get refragged after getting a pick.

To the original person saying that 90% of the game is crosshair placement, that is just nonsense. For a start, player positioning is more important. Even a poo poo player will come out on top getting the drop on a better aiming player. If I stand in the middle of A site, it doesn't matter if my crosshair placement is perfect when I get flashed and sprayed down. Even perfect crosshair placement won't even necessarily mean you get the kill.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
In other news, playing Nova only MM is awesome because you never eco and you can pretty constantly drop streams of novas to your team. Novas for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Jeza posted:

In other news, playing Nova only MM is awesome because you never eco and you can pretty constantly drop streams of novas to your team. Novas for all.

replace nova with scout and you achieve my MM gimmick

• Locked thread