Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Speaking of Calvados, for a little while I was making Old Fashioneds with the bottle of Berneroy (sorry Kenning) that I picked up, muddling a thin slice of apple with the simple syrup and cardamom bitters that I had swapped out for the angostura, and it ended up being quite nice. The cardamom bitters work really well with the apple flavors. Haven't tried it with my Laird's BIB though, so that might be worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

20 or 30 proof, or 20 or 30 percent? 20 or 30 percent isn't too bad. Still weaker than the average liquor, but my impression is 20-30% is pretty average for a liqueur, is that not right?

applejack should be a spirit, i.e. 40%+ without any sugar added however applejack traditionally was made through freeze distillation (i.e. brewing a cider, and leaving it out in the winter cold so the water freezes out and the alcohol concentrates) and if they make it with this method, 20-30% would make sense. This is, however, illegal in the united states and can be dangerous. Any impurities such as methanol present in the original cider are not distilled out like they would be on a still, and so drinking freeze distilled spirits can cause wicked hangovers or other worse effects.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

swimming anime posted:

applejack should be a spirit, i.e. 40%+ without any sugar added however applejack traditionally was made through freeze distillation (i.e. brewing a cider, and leaving it out in the winter cold so the water freezes out and the alcohol concentrates) and if they make it with this method, 20-30% would make sense. This is, however, illegal in the united states and can be dangerous. Any impurities such as methanol present in the original cider are not distilled out like they would be on a still, and so drinking freeze distilled spirits can cause wicked hangovers or other worse effects.

You could heat things up and wait until it hits 172°F and that should be around the temp that some bad poo poo has boiled off. But you'd still be left with some stuff above the boiling temp of water.

This is like my 3rd edit because I am dumb but finally googled poo poo.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 2, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That poo poo about methanol being a problem doesn't make any sense to me. If the base is being fermented like a normal alcoholic beverage then why would there be any more present in it than, say, wine or beer?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Thoht posted:

That poo poo about methanol being a problem doesn't make any sense to me. If the base is being fermented like a normal alcoholic beverage then why would there be any more present in it than, say, wine or beer?

It becomes "more present" in the sense that it is concentrated when you freeze-jack (just remove water) to concentrate a spirit, as opposed to distilling, which lets you cut out undesirables.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bakersfield chimp posted:

Speaking of Calvados, for a little while I was making Old Fashioneds with the bottle of Berneroy (sorry Kenning) that I picked up, muddling a thin slice of apple with the simple syrup and cardamom bitters that I had swapped out for the angostura, and it ended up being quite nice. The cardamom bitters work really well with the apple flavors. Haven't tried it with my Laird's BIB though, so that might be worth a shot.

Oh I love Calvados, don't get me wrong. I just also love Laird's.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

It becomes "more present" in the sense that it is concentrated when you freeze-jack (just remove water) to concentrate a spirit, as opposed to distilling, which lets you cut out undesirables.

But you're concentrating everything else like the ethanol, too - the ratio of methanol (and other congeners, which are really what you'd be more worried about anyway) to ethanol should stay the same. So if you drink the same amount of alcohol from a shot of applejack instead of as a glass of cider, you should end up drinking the same amount of methanol as you did before, right?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Thoht posted:

But you're concentrating everything else like the ethanol, too - the ratio of methanol (and other congeners, which are really what you'd be more worried about anyway) to ethanol should stay the same. So if you drink the same amount of alcohol from a shot of applejack instead of as a glass of cider, you should end up drinking the same amount of methanol as you did before, right?

Assuming you're talking about freeze jacked applejack, yes. The danger is that you can drink a lot more concentrated stuff, especially once you have a tolerance, and so get the higher doses of the (more) deleterious stuff.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I guess, though that seems like a relatively niche case. People get drunk as hell all the time from just wine and beer, neither of which have been distilled. So yeah, I guess if you're the kind of person who puts away a fifth of liquor by themselves then you might want to steer clear.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Thoht posted:

I guess, though that seems like a relatively niche case. People get drunk as hell all the time from just wine and beer, neither of which have been distilled. So yeah, I guess if you're the kind of person who puts away a fifth of liquor by themselves then you might want to steer clear.

One distinct problem with applejack in particular is apple juice itself already has way more methanol than wine or beer does. 2-3L of regular apple juice is enough to get you to borderline levels of methanol. Add more from the effect fermentation has on high-pectin liquids and concentrate the methanol and >6 shots worth can start causing problems.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Huh, that's interesting. I didn't know that apple juice had such a high baseline concentration in it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Maybe that's why the local alcoholics who predominantly drink hard cider look and behave 100x worse than the others.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My mom wants a bottle of limoncello for her birthday/easter dinner thing. What sort of stuff can I make with it that isn't just drinking it straight after dinner? Which is the current plan, but I'm not sure if there's anything neat you can do with it.

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker in general (I'm mildly allergic to orange and pineapple) so I don't really know where to start.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

My mom wants a bottle of limoncello for her birthday/easter dinner thing. What sort of stuff can I make with it that isn't just drinking it straight after dinner? Which is the current plan, but I'm not sure if there's anything neat you can do with it.

I'm not much of a cocktail drinker in general (I'm mildly allergic to orange and pineapple) so I don't really know where to start.

Never tried it, but I always thought a simple cocktail of limoncello and club soda would be delicious.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

George Zimmer posted:

Never tried it, but I always thought a simple cocktail of limoncello and club soda would be delicious.

I'd go for champagne instead and how about some st Germain also

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really like gimlets, gin fizz, and moscow mules. What else should I try making?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Elderbean posted:

I really like gimlets, gin fizz, and moscow mules. What else should I try making?

Try a Gin Buck. It's the exact same thing as a Moscow Mule but with gin instead of vodka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elderbean posted:

If you like long drinks and want to branch out from gin and vodka, try a Dark & Stormy and a Horse's Neck. Since you like gimlets, try a white spider (gin, Cointreau, lemon juice, egg white, served up).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Beardless posted:

Try a Gin Buck. It's the exact same thing as a Moscow Mule but with gin instead of vodka.

I never knew there was a name for that. I always just thought of them as London Mules.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have basically a full bottle of Kraken. I like me some Kraken but have found it too strong neat/on the rocks. What are some awesome, preferably simple, cocktails I can make besides a Dark and Stormy? I can pick up mixers but would prefer not to buy a bunch of liquor to mix with.

Also, Black Russians are the best cocktails as far as I'm concerned. I was converted after I started drinking them the traditional way rather than the typical Australian way with a tonne of coke. They taste so good but they can get you hosed up unexpectedly. They also completely wreck my calorie counting :/

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I know it's not exactly mind blowing but Kraken & root beer is one of my favorite quick drinks to make. I like to use Abita root beer because it's cane sugar based.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

8one6 posted:

I know it's not exactly mind blowing but Kraken & root beer is one of my favorite quick drinks to make. I like to use Abita root beer because it's cane sugar based.

I mean, that's kinda just a dark and stormy but less stormy.

Reminds me of the light and breezy I ordered one at a company party where they only has light rum and ginger ale.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any whiskey/vermouth recommendations for a manhattan?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Rye is traditional but I've made some drat good ones with Maker's Mark.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Dolin for vermouth and Rittenhouse BIB or Sazerac rye.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

PatMarshall posted:

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

PatMarshall posted:

2:1:2 rye, vermouth, bitters to start.

edit: yes dashes ofc
edit2: 2:1:0.033 just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
edit3: also 212 is Manhattan's area code

The Hebug fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 8, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Hebug posted:

2:1:2 rye, vermouth, bitters to start.

Meaning 2 dashes, right?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I once had a drink that had a shot of bitters in it. I can't for the life of me remember what else it had, which is a shame, because it was loving delicious.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

cptn_dr posted:

I once had a drink that had a shot of bitters in it. I can't for the life of me remember what else it had, which is a shame, because it was loving delicious.

Trinidad or Angostura sour probably.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not a shot of bitters, but a Saywer is pretty drat good too

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

PatMarshall posted:

I like Dolin or Vya for negronis (or a lighter bourbon manhattan) because they are a little softer, but rittenhouse/carpano for Manhattans

Also I lean towards 2.25 oz spirit, .75 oz vermouth, and 3 dashes Angostura

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Bulleit is my favourite rye, but Rittenhouse makes a good Manhattan in particular. But try Bulleit too.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

This sounds good, I need to give a shot. In the realm of "drink with excessive amounts of bitters" there's also the Seelbach which I personally hate but some people like.

1 Bourbon
.5 Cointreau
7 Ango
7 Peychauds
Stirred and poured into a champagne flute and topped with champagne, lemon twist.

It's somehow a pre-prohibition classic drink despite having a totally bizarre formula with no other drink ive ever seen being similar.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

And it is perfect and I will fight you buy you one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning, since I don't have PMs and I know you read this thread, I'm curious about the Limmer Club punch. Going off of the recipe, it sounds like a Tom Collins with some orange flavor. Is the orange the primary flavor, or is the lemon? I'm probably going to try making a scaled down batch of it some time. Does the carbonation from the soda last a few hours, or does it go flat quickly?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Um, it's not orange flavor, it's orange blossom flavor, which is totally different. And I guess it's somewhat like a Tom Collins, but you've got to remember that a Tom Collins is balanced very differently – it will be both tarter and sweeter, with more of the boozy flavor. If you do a long extraction of the oils for the Limmer's Club, you get this lemon essence flavor with a bouquet of orange blossoms, in a very light and quaffable mix.

If you use strong soda water (my perpetual recommendation is Jarritos Mineragua, but I understand if that's not available in your area) the carbonation should be noticeable and present for at least 2 or 3 hours. After that it's getting more dilute and less sparkly, but by that point in the punch it's actually a bonus that it's more watery – you need to be drinking some water.

The smallest batch I'd recommend making is 1 oz. sugar, 2 oz. syrup, 3 oz. lemon juice, 10 oz. gin, and 1 liter of soda. That's enough for 2 people to feel quite good, or 3 people to have a nice relaxing evening. Serve it in a 2.5 quart bowl with a few Tovalo King Cubes and you're straight.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Mr. Wookums posted:

Made this tonight and it came out great, thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah I made it too and it is a drat fine cocktail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. Next time I go out (which will probably be a while, since I'm trying to be a responsible adult), I need to remember to ask the bartender for a Sawyer. A gimlet is one of my favorite gin cocktails (although I'm a philistine and use Rose's at home).

I don't know what orange blossom tastes like. I guess I'm going to find out. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to test it out, though. I don't drink much, neither does my fiancee. So 10 ounces of gin between us would be a bit much. Maybe at some point during the wedding planning process when we get all the bridesmaids and groomsmen together, so we can spread it out over more people.