Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

f#a# posted:

STR and DEX builds fare about the same in the late game, but early game is easier on STR builds, generally speaking.

Thanks for the advice. Gonna try a pure STR build when I get home and see if I do any better. At the very least, Fashion Souls will be different this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's still a weird spike in enemy damage around Drangleic where "common" enemies start doing about twice the damage they were doing before and light armour starts seriously sucking.

And then that happens all over again when you hit the DLC.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

faulteroy posted:

Thanks for the advice. Gonna try a pure STR build when I get home and see if I do any better. At the very least, Fashion Souls will be different this time around.

Early weapons that are good: Mace, Club, Caestus, Great Lance, Large Club a little later, maybe Estoc, maybe Rapier, maybe Spear, maybe Drangleic Sword.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bastard sword is good early too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Early weapons that are good: Mace, Club, Caestus, Great Lance, Large Club a little later, maybe Estoc, maybe Rapier, maybe Spear, maybe Drangleic Sword.

The rapier and spear are definitely good, at least in the re-release. I remember not liking them when I tried a dex build early after vanilla release but then I never tried dex again. The rapier is very strong against almost everything in the game and has a safe and quick moveset for PvE, the spear is safe as gently caress but it doesn't kill very fast.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I have 40 faith, a lightning infused priest's chime and Emit Force does more damage than Great Lightning Spear. Why is this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The rapier was used in this ridiculous world record speedrun and is pretty much the bestchoice godweapon against enemies and players alike. I avoid using the thing now just because it's so good but boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsK3hm4qKZ8

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have 40 faith, a lightning infused priest's chime and Emit Force does more damage than Great Lightning Spear. Why is this

Because GLS fell off the nerf tree and hit every branch on the way down a while back.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 14, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh this thing is kind of overpowered in PvE content, guess we'd better tune it down to scale. Reduce casts by 85%, turbo nerf the damage too for some reason, done. Now it's not overpowered anymore! Mission accomplished!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Oh this thing is kind of overpowered in PvE content, guess we'd better tune it down to scale. Reduce casts by 85%, turbo nerf the damage too for some reason, done. Now it's not overpowered anymore! Mission accomplished!

I'm glad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is it worth getting the sunbro sunlight spear or is it poo poo too

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you want to use another attunement slot for one less cast and roughly the same result with a 55 faith requirement then go ahead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I didn't have a Scythe of Want to compare to the Scythe of the Forlorn the other day but now it's just sad. Scythe of Want can't be infused but it does 70 more physical damage than plain Forlorn and 53 more dark damage than dark Forlorn. Same moveset so there's no reason to ever give a poo poo about the new scythe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

I didn't have a Scythe of Want to compare to the Scythe of the Forlorn the other day but now it's just sad. Scythe of Want can't be infused but it does 70 more physical damage than plain Forlorn and 53 more dark damage than dark Forlorn. Same moveset so there's no reason to ever give a poo poo about the new scythe.

Well you can get it without beating the game first...

No reason to use it in PvP, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well you can get it without beating the game first...

No reason to use it in PvP, though.

Good luck getting 5 Forlorn invasions before you're about ready to beat the game. I got my last coming back from one of the giant memories.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure where they moved the Leo Ring in this version, but that might gate Rapiers a bit. They're still good, but the Leo Ring makes them shine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leo Ring's in the same place it always was. It just has an extra doorman now :v:

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Good luck getting 5 Forlorn invasions before you're about ready to beat the game. I got my last coming back from one of the giant memories.

I got my sixth Forlorn invader in the Crypt. Still don't want to use their weapons though! They're pretty, but not... good.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The greatsword is a lot closer to good than the scythe, but having to be fully hollowed to use it is crap.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've been making my way through the DLC, in release order, for the first time. Just found the white phantom in the Eleum Loyce suburbs, that was pretty funny. Screw those hedgehog things, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Scholar of the First Sin impressions:
  • The Shaded Woods fog specters leaking into other parts of the level are pretty cool and got me real good a few times
  • They "fixed" Harvest Valley by adding titty wizards everywhere. This didn't fix Harvest Valley
  • Earthen Mound is still Earthen Mound. Dammit
  • I swear they like doubled the amount of knights in the Iron Keep in the first big room. Good goddamn lord what a clusterfuck
  • There are a LOT of fake AI invasions. As in I've killed different ones back to back to back
  • That Heide dragon is stupid
Man I dunno. I guess their target audience was purely people who have played before because I can't imagine playing through some of this poo poo my first time. Also they got rid of most of my Lion Bros and that sucks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

I guess there's a lot of RNG because I had gotten 5 before I first talked to Straid.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Man I dunno. I guess their target audience was purely people who have played before because I can't imagine playing through some of this poo poo my first time. Also they got rid of most of my Lion Bros and that sucks.

They lost the great war to the basilisks. You weren't there. It was pretty awesome.

They went down like punk bitches.

I feel sooooooo trolled by new aldia keep and dragon aerie its hilarious. Armorer Dennis 4 lyfe

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The shortcut in the Aerie being open from the start was such a welcome bonus. Like, my whole chest felt relaxed and I got a big smile on my face. I'll come back and genocide your mineral filled babies later, now-dead ancient dragon. For now just getting to you fast was enough.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man the weapon durability bug really loving blows. Good weapons that already broke quickly like the Old Knight Hammer are now completely useless. I've had it go from full to broken in a single goddamn fight!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Man the weapon durability bug really loving blows. Good weapons that already broke quickly like the Old Knight Hammer are now completely useless. I've had it go from full to broken in a single goddamn fight!

This is reminds me of the only thing I got dropped from enhanced undead in vanilla DS2. Malformed Skull has 20 Durability instead of 30 AND it's a totally sweet case of killing people with a skull :colbert:

Of course, even stuff with proper durability like the large club would quickly get hosed. Another reason the Mace sees so much use, it might have less durability by the numbers than the Large Club, but being a smaller weapon let you swing it about wily-nilly without it wearing down too fast.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Map/spawn changes that I did like:
- Shrine of Amana. Significantly less poo poo than before.
- That large room in Drangleic Castle that used to be full of greatbow archers, and now just has a copy of the chariot horse boss instead. Kind of a weird place for a horse, and recycling a boss like that feels a bit lazy, but the room was quite tedious before so I think it was an overall positive.
- Needing to actually lure some enemies towards one of the Drangleic Castle golems, rather than having a bunch of enemies next to it that will inevitably trigger the thing on death without you specifically trying to make it happen.
- No Man's Wharf is a lot better. Lighting up the level as you go is satisfying, and the shortcut at the end was definitely needed. My weapon durability is typically gone by that point, and the original run back was way too long for people who died to the boss.
- No more instant-aggro archers at the Sinner's Rise bonfire.
- Dragon in Heide's Tower of Flame. Kinda cool/impressive/scary for an early game area, though not nearly as fearsome as he appears.
- Phantom dudes scattered throughout Shaded Woods. The first one fooled me into thinking that they were the usual online phantoms that you can't interact with, which was neat.
- Even more spiders on the ceiling of that big Tseldora room. If you're gonna have a room with a million spiders, may as well go all the way. I liked the undead peasants mining in the pit just before it, too.
- More pursuer fights. The pursuer is a cool guy. Powering up one of them in the NG+ Drangleic Castle double pursuer fight makes that more interesting and difficult, too.
- The Forest of Fallen Giants area where the first Heide Knight used to hang out. That place used to seem a bit rough for new players, with all of those hollows immediately rushing you. Now you can take them out one at a time.
- The knights in Dragon Shrine having that weird friendly/honorable combat gimmick. It does make the place shorter and easier, but it's unique and interesting.

Parts that I didn't like:
- Heide Knights being moved into Heide's Tower of Flame as normal enemies. They were a lot cooler when there were only a small handful of non-respawning, non-hostile ones scattered across the game, with some sweet loot. Much more mysterious.
- Abomination dudes in Sinner's Rise replaced by a Flexile Sentry. Way to recycle a boss that you likely just fought a short whole ago. The previous enemies were a lot creepier and more threatening. Are there even any of those things in the game anymore, other than the single caged one in Aldia's Keep? Which you'd be retarded to actually fight considering all of the other stuff around it, and the conveniently placed doorways that none of those enemies can fit through while you pelt them with arrows.
- That part of Aldia's Keep. Just a whole bunch of poo poo that you have no reason to fight rather than arrow them all to death from the doorway.
- The dragon skeleton, also in Aldia's Keep. It was cooler when it tried to murder you as soon as you walked in, from a more impressive camera angle. Now it's tied this weird torch lighting thing that most people won't experience.
- The big room in Iron Keep is garbage now. Aggro range on the knights almost seems like a bug or something.
- Why is the Dragon Aerie shortcut open by default? Just lets you skip the entire area for no reason. Here's a bonfire. Now here's a bizarrely opened shortcut that immediately takes you to the next bonfire in the next area without fighting anything. I don't get it.
- The Shaded Wood changes mean that there are very, very few lion dudes to fight now. Bit of a shame.

Pretty neutral on everything else. I'm mostly glad I got back into this game to see all of the DLC. The spawn changes were a nice little something extra, but I don't think that they're substantial or good enough to warrant spending money and time playing through Dark Souls 2 again solely to check them out unless you really wanted to replay DS2 anyways.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 14, 2015

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Yodzilla posted:

Scholar of the First Sin impressions:

Man I dunno. I guess their target audience was purely people who have played before because I can't imagine playing through some of this poo poo my first time.

This here is the thing. Playing SOTFS as a 1st palythrough? Holy poo poo. No way. I wouldn't recommend the game to anybody. DS2 vanilla was - at least - a pretty good single player game with some decent co-op. But now, a year later, on a harder version with a smaller playerbase...nah. I'll stagger through it mainly because I quit playing DS2 right at the 2nd DLC release. I'll get through this for sure - but I just can't recommend anything about the game to newcomers. I'd sooner send them to Demons' Souls or Bloodborne. Not so much Dark Souls 1 because the PVP and co-op is so integral to the experience.

But for me, random AI invasions - the more the better, as far as I'm concerned.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone who misses the enhanced undead at Sinner's Rise should pop an ascetic.

Also, it's pretty funny to take a torch up one of the taller parts of the Gutter and watch the conga line of torch undead go through half the level to your position.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

faulteroy posted:

So this is my first Souls game. I've been playing for a week or so and have about 20 hours between all of the chars I keep rolling. I'm at the point now where I can get through FoFG in maybe 30 minutes, and none of the basic enemies there are giving me any trouble. However, I still can't kill the Pursuer solo, and the enemies in Heide's Tower are shredding me to ribbons.

:words:

Please help me git gud.

Each time you pick up a weapon, especially if it's in a different weapon class, try it out. Try it one handed, two handed, try the rolling attack and the backstep attack. It'll be slower than normal if you don't meet the requirements but if you like the moveset consider using it. If the stats are out of reach consider respeccing or rerolling a character (as you don't seem to mind). In DS1 I absolutely loved Iaito because it had good range on it's R2's and backstep attacks but was able to dish out moderate DPS with it's R1's. Thus far the katanas I've used in DS2 are loving abysmal. They're slow, the R2's don't have nearly as much range and the thrust attacks track so poorly in DS2 I had to find something else. So I followed my own advice and settled on the Flamberge with Ricard's Rapier as a backup.

Don't be afraid to smith up a few different weapons just to see how they actually perform too. I think I smithed up something like 6 different weapons while I was working my way through the Bastille in order to figure out what actually worked well in combat.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

This here is the thing. Playing SOTFS as a 1st palythrough? Holy poo poo. No way. I wouldn't recommend the game to anybody. DS2 vanilla was - at least - a pretty good single player game with some decent co-op. But now, a year later, on a harder version with a smaller playerbase...nah. I'll stagger through it mainly because I quit playing DS2 right at the 2nd DLC release. I'll get through this for sure - but I just can't recommend anything about the game to newcomers. I'd sooner send them to Demons' Souls or Bloodborne. Not so much Dark Souls 1 because the PVP and co-op is so integral to the experience.

I played SOTFS first time and really enjoyed it :shobon: Heck if anything I'm glad I skipped it when it came out so I got this enhanced experience as my first impression.

Also I dunno about pvp/coop being integral to DS1, I played it completely solo and loved it.

Honestly coop in particular in these games has always felt... wrong, to me. I'm glad it's there and people dig it, but the atmosphere of these games is as much isolation as it is lurking fear (much less so in DS2, which is all over the place thematically - but very much in DeS/DS/BB).

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm playing SotFS as my first time entirely blind, and it went just fine for me.

But to your broader point, why would you tell a newbie to play the one game in the series that is a sequel? :confused:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Djeser posted:

I'm playing SotFS as my first time entirely blind, and it went just fine for me.

But to your broader point, why would you tell a newbie to play the one game in the series that is a sequel? :confused:

It's barely a sequel. Absolutely nothing from the first game is required knowledge and barely anything is even referenced.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ok. Question for those who PvP. Is the netcode worse than it was in DS1? I just fought 4 separate people in front of Iron Keep and literally none of them were facing me when I died. I know phantom range is a thing but I'm talking 20+ meters away facing the opposite direction.

Shame I can't tell if they were all just on the other side of the planet or something.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

fennesz posted:

Ok. Question for those who PvP. Is the netcode worse than it was in DS1? I just fought 4 separate people in front of Iron Keep and literally none of them were facing me when I died. I know phantom range is a thing but I'm talking 20+ meters away facing the opposite direction.

Shame I can't tell if they were all just on the other side of the planet or something.

The netcode is absolute garbage. Lagstabs and projectiles hitting you from 5 meters away is a constant issue in PVP encounters.

There is an option for restricting regions but I don't know if that does anything at all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Man, people say there are a lot of dud DS2 bosses, but Ceaseless Discharge was terrible. It looked neat though!

Speaking of, Izalith looks incredible. A welcome dose of awesome after the utter horror that was Blighttown again, ugh.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
^^^ First time I've ever seen someone say Izalith was an interesting place :stare:

Yeah, I don't know - I think SOTFS is by far the best, most polished experience for a newcomer (leaving aside that careless swinging will break your weapons before unlocking the smithy :shobon:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

Yeah, I don't know - I think SOTFS is by far the best, most polished experience for a newcomer (leaving aside that careless swinging will break your weapons before unlocking the smithy :shobon:)

I think there were three lovely areas in the game, and one of them was the entire beginning - though that's more from mechanical issues than zones mostly. The limited estus charges, durability, lack of gear/options/stats all combine to make for a really, really unfun start.

That aside the game has immense variety; in size, in builds, in area diversity. Once you're past that initial hump it's a great ride. Also the NG+ support... I haven't even touched it yet, but I'm eager to dig into it, both to try another build and to see what changed, since apparently it's a lot compared to DS or BB (hah).

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

victrix posted:

Man, people say there are a lot of dud DS2 bosses, but Ceaseless Discharge was terrible. It looked neat though!

Speaking of, Izalith looks incredible. A welcome dose of awesome after the utter horror that was Blighttown again, ugh.

A lovely boss that at least looks good is something. DS2 bosses are almost all variants on Armored Big Guy with 3 Hit Combo.

The bosses that aren't are pretty cool though, freya is fun, and the DLC humanoid bosses own bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I found it easier this time around - the parts where I died the most are gone. Only a few sections seem harder but it's in a fun way, like more pursuer fights.