Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Isolationist posted:

I've done 20,000k's with my full face, and I reckon I've put my visor down only a couple of times (heavy rain). As long as you're wearing eye protection and don't mind a massive bug to the face occasionally, feels good man!

Having been hit and stung by a hornet at 70 I will never not wear a helmet. It was miserable enough in the throat, I can't imagine the torment if I got stung in the face. On the upside I found out I'm not allergic to hornets, just bees.

I'm seriously thinking about making a light mesh attachment to the chin of my helmet to catch bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

How do people ride without a helmet???

I got stuck behind a dump truck full of mulch for 5-6 miles on a rural stretch where I couldn't safely pass it, and just got hammered with giant chunks of bark at 60 mph. Even hanging back didn't help as the mulch just bounced off the road up at me. Felt like getting pelted with rocks

I'd a been hosed without my gear, least of all my full face shield

Agree with the "how the gently caress do people ride without a helmet," but lol if I were getting constantly pelted by wood chips I'd just pull over for like 20 seconds and let the truck get a quarter mile ahead of me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The gouges I have in my helmet from rocks/road debris keep me riding with my visor down at anything above neighborhood speeds. I hope the visor can take one of those hits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

Agree with the "how the gently caress do people ride without a helmet," but lol if I were getting constantly pelted by wood chips I'd just pull over for like 20 seconds and let the truck get a quarter mile ahead of merev the poo poo out of the engine and dash past effortlessly.

FTFY.

nsaP posted:

The gouges I have in my helmet from rocks/road debris keep me riding with my visor down at anything above neighborhood speeds. I hope the visor can take one of those hits.

Big flying insects are like a grape being shot at your head.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Big flying insects are like a grape being shot at your head.

Big flying insects are like big flying insects being shot at your head

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

nsaP posted:

As long as your lid is SNELL you shouldn't have a problem. One of their tests iirc is impact testing on the visor.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Empty log trucks are the worst because you get huge chunks of bark, rocks, and sticks coming off the empty trailer.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
For clarification, I did pass the truck as soon as I was able to, but a combination of hills, oncoming traffic, and curves in the road kept me stuck behind it for several miles.

Which didn't matter to me because with armored gear and a full helmet, getting pelted every 5-6 seconds doesn't hurt at all.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

OSU_Matthew posted:

How do people ride without a helmet???

One of my MSF instructors (V-Rod guy) wore a 3/4 on his way to class. Apparently it was a long ride, and early in the morning at that. Even by noon, we all had to warm up our gloves on the engine blocks in between exercises. It was loving cold out, in whatever month that was. The dude's face was bright red for like half the class in the morning. I don't know how you can ride when it's under 45 or even 50, on the goddamn highway for an hour without something covering your face.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Just when you think you've seen it all out there: chick dancing while driving. Not grooving, Detroit leaning, or drumming on the dashboard. All out, both hands off the wheel while in motion, c'mon Vogue dancing. My eagles weep for the future.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I cackle wildly every time I see a dude with a brain bucket and one of those novelty bandanna/neckerchief things with the SPOOKY SCARY SKULL graphic on it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

I cackle wildly every time I see a dude with a brain bucket and one of those novelty bandanna/neckerchief things with the SPOOKY SCARY SKULL graphic on it.

Harley guys in my area don't wave back, so I've started giving those cats the finger. Eagerly awaiting the day when one of them slowly wobbles after me to teach me a lesson. :jerkbag:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Isolationist posted:

I've done 20,000k's with my full face, and I reckon I've put my visor down only a couple of times (heavy rain). As long as you're wearing eye protection and don't mind a massive bug to the face occasionally, feels good man!
I assume you mean sunglasses. Have you ridden much without them? I used to wear sunglasses almost all the time under the helmet and now that I switched to tinted visors I'm amazed how much nicer it feels with the extra room and visibility in the helmet.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love tinted visors (and LEGO visors), not only because it's much more pleasant to ride around but also because it makes me look like a robot.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I assume you mean sunglasses. Have you ridden much without them? I used to wear sunglasses almost all the time under the helmet and now that I switched to tinted visors I'm amazed how much nicer it feels with the extra room and visibility in the helmet.
I'm just concerned about night riding if I went tinted.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got a bag like this to keep a clear shield in when I think it might be close to dark when I'm riding.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gillingham posted:

I'm just concerned about night riding if I went tinted.

I have both tinted and clear visor. I wear the tinted one if I know I'm only going to be out during the day. Only been caught with it at night once and I just rode with the visor up. If I know I'll be riding into the night I bring the clear one + sunglasses.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Harley guys in my area don't wave back, so I've started giving those cats the finger. Eagerly awaiting the day when one of them slowly wobbles after me to teach me a lesson. :jerkbag:

You may want a bike that can outrun an 883 before you go picking bikerfights.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marxalot posted:

Like a ninja 250?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marxalot posted:

If he lives somewhere with corners I think he'll be fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A DRZ S can corner?

Like, on pavement?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

A DRZ S can corner?

Like, on pavement?

...yes...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

If he lives somewhere with corners I think he'll be fine.

I live in an area that is literal desert as well, so I can always hop off road. :c00lbert:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Carrying multiple visors sure seems like a lot more work than just using sunglasses but YMMV

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Both are fairly lovely alternatives to getting a helmet with an internal sun visor.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Frosty- posted:

Both are fairly lovely alternatives to getting a helmet with an internal sun visor.
I have one in my shoei, but I don't like how it it doesn't give full coverage and the bottom lines up exactly with my console/navigation. I do however love it for dust/dawn situations where I could use it in addition to sunglasses.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Smoked visor 24/7 unless I'm heading into the mountains or desert. My eyes have been super sensitive to light over the last few months.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
My HJC had an internal sun visor. It was better than nothing but wasn't good enough. I had to stop part way in to my last big road trip and get a pair of sunglasses - much better. My eyes are very sensitive to glare, and the tint was pretty weak.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yep, Maui Jim's are great helmet sunnies. I'm in Australia, home of the HOLY poo poo BRIGHT sun, so always sunnies.

I've got a photochromatic pinlock visor insert (like $140 USD, WTF) that I hate and do not use.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Frosty- posted:

My helmet has one, and while it is amazingly convenient if I suddenly find myself riding into the sun, it's honestly kind of bad. The tint is fine but there's a bunch of minor distortions that make maneuvering with it down a slightly dizzying experience.

I guess it's possible that more expensive helmets would have better sun visors, but sight unseen I strongly suspect it's one of those things that everyone cheaps out on (except for one brand that is terrible in every other way) because compound curves are hard.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Some less expensive helmets with internal visors have poo poo side protection as well because of the visor mechanism.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person who thinks internal visor helmets are hella dorky looking?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

Am I the only person who thinks internal visor helmets are hella dorky looking?

Nah, I agree with you. I hate any transparent visor.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mirrored visors 4 lyfe

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I prefer no visor,

but it's not real practical for spending weeks on the highway, so I have more than one helmet.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Renaissance Robot posted:

My helmet has one, and while it is amazingly convenient if I suddenly find myself riding into the sun, it's honestly kind of bad. The tint is fine but there's a bunch of minor distortions that make maneuvering with it down a slightly dizzying experience.

You're the first person I have aver heard about getting any kind of headproblem from a visor, internal or not.

Good internal sun visors rule, too bad all of them are just a tint too light to be perfect.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Glasses with transition lenses trump all these gewgaws. Jesus, half the younguns are wearing non-prescription glasses they don't need anyway, just spring for the extra 40 bucks or whatever and forget about the need to swap.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KARMA! posted:

You're the first person I have aver heard about getting any kind of headproblem from a visor, internal or not.

It's not like it gives me headaches or anything, I just find it really distracting to be tracking an obstacle or road feature and suddenly have it do a little shimmy as it moves across my field of vision.

If I'm just cruising it's fine though, and infinitely preferable to loving about with glasses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Glasses with transition lenses trump all these gewgaws. Jesus, half the younguns are wearing non-prescription glasses they don't need anyway, just spring for the extra 40 bucks or whatever and forget about the need to swap.

I found that my transition lenses wouldn't transition with the visor shut, presumably because it blocked the UV rays that set them off. Contacts are a million times better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Plus, Transitions are never not dorky.