Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

There was a show I saw randomly on a Friday evening a couple months ago called "World's Funniest Fails" which was basically just a bunch of C-list celebrities commenting on and voting on a variety of categories of Youtube videos, but it was hosted by Terry Crews and god dammit if he didn't make an entire hour of that totally watchable.

To my great shame, I have yet to be able to see an episode of this. For what it's worth, my friends who have seen it pretty much had the exact same reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

As a person that has/had absolutely no interest in the character, Daredevil is fun as hell, beautifully shot and a really enjoyable show. It's what I wanted Agents of SHIELD to be, i.e. a show showing more mundane but far-reaching stories in a fantastical world.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Daredevil really highlights how ugly AoS and Agent Carter are in comparison to a competently run show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It turns out shows don't need to be well-made or well-written as long as they can vaguely convince nerds they're "fun".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bown posted:

It turns out shows don't need to be well-made or well-written as long as they can vaguely convince nerds they're "fun".

It's actually that no show needs to be well-made or well-written if a large enough audience finds it fun. Nerds aren't special in that regard.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

raditts posted:

Daredevil really highlights how ugly AoS and Agent Carter are in comparison to a competently run show.

It's more to do with time constraints really. When you have to churn out 22 episodes with about 8 days filming each, things like looking good suffer.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turn: Washington's Spies began it's second season on AMC last night with a two hour episode.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gonz posted:

Turn: Washington's Spies began it's second season on AMC last night with a two hour episode.

The first season was alright, not great. If they had kept it on Saturdays I would definitely have jumped back in, but it doesn't make the cut on Mondays.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ShakeZula posted:

The first season was alright, not great. If they had kept it on Saturdays I would definitely have jumped back in, but it doesn't make the cut on Mondays.

More happened in the first two hours of the second season than 85% of the first season. A lot of big historical names introduced to the cast.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

As a person that has/had absolutely no interest in the character, Daredevil is fun as hell, beautifully shot

It's too dark (even with screen brightness turned to max) which ruins many of the shots.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's more to do with time constraints really. When you have to churn out 22 episodes with about 8 days filming each, things like looking good suffer.

Yet comparable other network shows like PoI still look great. The AoS crew is just incompetent.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

less laughter posted:

The AoS crew is just incompetent.

This cannot be said enough. Nerds love to justify AoS's failures with excuses that make no sense.

"They couldn't make the show good because Marvel wouldn't let them!"
"Their hands were tied until the release of Winter Soldier!"
"Its impossible to produce 22 episodes a year!"
"Ward's wooden acting and complete lack of on-screen charisma was deliberate because he was actually a mole!"
"[something something] Dollhouse! [something something]"

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

What failures? You just gonna make stuff up cause you don't like the show?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm referring to AoS's general failure to be an entertaining, well-written, well-produced, well-acted and relatively good-looking television show.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yes, that was what I mean by 'make stuff up cause you don't like the show'.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Joe knows this because he still watches every week, while obviously hating it the entire time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm assuming he's being a hate watch cock? i can't see his posts. Tell me i'm right

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I'm assuming he's being a hate watch cock? i can't see his posts. Tell me i'm right

Yeah, he's pretending not to like Agents of Shield, but I'm aware of his reputation so I'm not believing a minute of it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I feel like I stumbled into the world's most passive-aggressive game of telephone.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hey Rocksicles, Irish Joe says he'd like to call you up and discuss how good Agents of Shield is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If he wants to call during work hours, when i get paid for dealing with morons, i'm all ears.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I feel like I stumbled into the world's most passive-aggressive game of telephone.
I think there's a Blondie song about this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

Still find it kind of odd how they rebranded the show between the first and second season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Still find it kind of odd how they rebranded the show between the first and second season.

Yeah, and when they were showing reruns in the winter, they changed the name, too. I guess people were flipping through the channels and something called TURN in all caps wasn't exactly giving them a good idea of what the show was about. Though it's not just cosmetic; the new season does indeed feature a metric shitload of spying by people associated with George Washington.

And Benedict Arnold slowly turning into the world's biggest piece of poo poo will apparently be a major part of this season.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 14, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Come on guys, this was a good one.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Hey, remember when I hoped that Terry Crews would be a veritable shot in the arm for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" like Steve Harvey has been for Family Feud? It turns out that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Citing Terry's "successful and demanding film and primetime TV projects, Chris Harrison from The Bachelor is taking over as host. My own bias aside, I thought Terry did a good job from what I've been able to see of it.

If there's another thing to take from this, this announcement and the open contestant calls in New York and Stamford, also answer the question of whether or not the show's getting renewed.

The execs are claiming Terry is leaving the show because of his heavy workload right now. Which is a reasonable excuse, given B99 and whatever else he's doing at the moment.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bown posted:

I think Daredevil is definitely much better written than easily any other comic book show at the moment, at least if compared to Arrow/Flash.

The problem some might have is that Daredevil doesn't really have much to say except surface level examinations of whatever it's about or broader themes and issues it uses to service its story. I think someone linked a WP 'review' on DD which sorta criticized the show for coming out at a bad time where the show more or less portrays extra-legal punishment (i.e. vigilantism) in a much more positive light (not really glorifying it, but) without really wanting to broach the subject or explore it in depth via the fiction.

I mean one could also make the argument it shouldn't apply because it's just a comic book adaption doing comic book-y things but quite a few people got riled up by someone's opinion about a show they found "fun", probably because of some, "someone unfamiliar with the source material is coming after them" mentality.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That was a dumbass review of clickbait bullshit that made it clear the reviewer hadn't watched or understood what she'd watched.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was because the reviewer hadn't even watched an episode, from what I recall.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

That was a dumbass review of clickbait bullshit that made it clear the reviewer hadn't watched or understood what she'd watched.
Last I checked when I read it, it was for the first 7 episodes and she missed a detail in the pilot?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sober posted:

Last I checked when I read it, it was for the first 7 episodes and she missed a detail in the pilot?

You know like how his powers work and that he even has powers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

The problem some might have is that Daredevil doesn't really have much to say except surface level examinations of whatever it's about or broader themes and issues it uses to service its story. I think someone linked a WP 'review' on DD which sorta criticized the show for coming out at a bad time where the show more or less portrays extra-legal punishment (i.e. vigilantism) in a much more positive light (not really glorifying it, but) without really wanting to broach the subject or explore it in depth via the fiction.

Kingpin has the cops on the take, that was a key plot point in like the pilot and only got more solidified as the season progressed. It's also not a remotely unique conceit in superhero shows that the cops are crooked, and if it isn't that, they're incompetent. Either way they become a frustration for the hero and aren't filling the enforcement role the hero is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo, Courteney Cox played in Ace Ventura.

This movie is really weird, it's full of poop and sex jokes, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be for children or really immature adults.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 14, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kurtofan posted:

This movie is really weird, it's full of poop and sex jokes, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be for children or really immature adults.

Yes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You forgot the homophobia!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bobkatt013 posted:

You forgot the homophobia!

quote:

Sean Young as Lt. Lois Einhorn / Ray Finkle

wait a minute

I can't wait till the big reveal

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

wait a minute

I can't wait till the big reveal

There was also the scene with him looking at the rings in the bathroom, and a player prances out after him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also the scene with him looking at the rings in the bathroom, and a player prances out after him.

After doing a big :mrgw:

Edit: curiously I think the mask holds up much better, though it was released the same year.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 14, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not entirely sure where this goes since I don't think there's a movie forum or whatever

I'm currently watching Pain & Gain. It's significantly darker than I expected from Michael Bay. Don't get me wrong, I love dark comedies, but this is uncomfortably dark. It's weirdly good, but also dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm not entirely sure where this goes since I don't think there's a movie forum or whatever

I'm currently watching Pain & Gain. It's significantly darker than I expected from Michael Bay. Don't get me wrong, I love dark comedies, but this is uncomfortably dark. It's weirdly good, but also dark.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=151

• Locked thread