Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krailor posted:

You're right, we don't need Shield in there, Marvel's Damage Control works just fine.

You just reminded me that Ty Pennington exists and I hate you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Doctor Butts posted:

Coulson's gotta be pretty fuckin' amazing considering SHIELD went down the shitter and he was not only able to secure the resources and manpower to upgrade Dethlok, but also do it without anyone knowing.

Project TAHITI is proof that Fury considers him about as crucial as any of the Avengers.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chakram posted:

Project TAHITI is proof that Fury considers him about as crucial as any of the Avengers.

Coulson is Shepard, Fury is the Illusive Man, and REALSHIELD is Cerberus.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pander posted:

And a special guest appearance by Ultron as the Reapers

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chakram posted:

Didn't Fury even say that TAHITI was used to resurrect an Avenger?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Didn't Fury even say that TAHITI was used to resurrect an Avenger?

It was designed to be used on a fallen Avenger, not that it had been used.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

swickles posted:

It was designed to be used on a fallen Avenger, not that it had been used.

I don't recall the exact dialogue, but it was along the lines of:

Coulson: Why did you use TAHITI on me? It was supposed to be used only to resurrect a fallen Avenger.

Fury: That's right. That's what I did. I'm glad I did it.

Coulson: ...Oh. (blown away by Fury calling him an Avenger)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

rujasu posted:

I don't recall the exact dialogue, but it was along the lines of:

Coulson: Why did you use TAHITI on me? It was supposed to be used only to resurrect a fallen Avenger.

Fury: Exactly.

Coulson: (blown away by Fury calling him an Avenger)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coulson was part of the Avengers since before Thor. They all trusted him, which is more than they can say for Fury

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Beens posted:

Why would you be suprised about this? Deathlok's last appearance was walking off on his own, there has been literally no reference to him in the show since and Coulson has been in serious trouble before and didn't call Mike in.
Are you seriously saying that when Coulson said backup was coming your immediate thought was "Yeah he's given Deathlock a call", or is this just hindsight :smug:

Like Javid pointed out, who is in Coulson's back pocket?

Peterson
Koenigs
Maria Hill
Fury
Ward
Gen. Talbot
Thor
Stark
Rogers
Banner
Barton
Romanoff

From there it's a matter of elimination. Avengers are out for obvious reasons. Talbot, Hill, and Fury would bring a lot more than just themselves. Ward's evil. Koenigs probably aren't up for combat.

As far as we know, Coulson has no idea how to contact Asgard, and it doesn't seem likely Sif or anyone up there would be interested in helping resolve an internecine fight among humans.

Peterson has been like the elephant outside the room for a while now, he just came back in.

I'm seriously wondering where the gently caress the World Security Council is at this point. Coulson's SHIELD is cool with the Pentagon at this point. Where's the WSC?

I think whichever SHIELD has the backing of the WSC is the real SHIELD, gently caress what anyone says internally.

Keshik fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 11, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The World Security Council was just a governing body for Shield, and all their delegates were killed save for one. It was probably dissolved just like Shield.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a big Buffy fan, I think large swathes of that show are nigh unwatchable these days, but The Body is seriously one of the best episodes of television to ever exist

Seriously. That episode is insanely brutal, emotionally, and I was warned beforehand. I can't imagine how fans who watched live and had no idea reacted.

Ironically given the presence of EJO, RealSHIELD is giving me a whole Battlestar Pegasus vibe. AoS probably won't take that to BSG's extreme, what with the torture and rape of prisoners and military fascist policies and what-not. Man, the Bush administration was a dark time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a big Buffy fan, I think large swathes of that show are nigh unwatchable these days, but The Body is seriously one of the best episodes of television to ever exist

I looked it up to double check, and yep, it's that one. I had just started dating this girl in high school who was a Buffy fan, and she wanted me to come over and watch it with her sister and mom. I was vaguely aware of the show but had never seen it before, and that was the episode. That was loving awkward, sitting there with no idea wtf is going on with this weird rear end morbid show, while everyone is sobbing their eyes out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I looked it up to double check, and yep, it's that one. I had just started dating this girl in high school who was a Buffy fan, and she wanted me to come over and watch it with her sister and mom. I was vaguely aware of the show but had never seen it before, and that was the episode. That was loving awkward, sitting there with no idea wtf is going on with this weird rear end morbid show, while everyone is sobbing their eyes out.

They had you watch it out of context without ever having seen the rest of the show beforehand? The gently caress?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Deakul posted:

They had you watch it out of context without ever having seen the rest of the show beforehand? The gently caress?

Maybe first time on the air? There's kind of a lead-in in the last episode (Buffy finds Joyce looking really still on the couch), and as a viewer you have no idea you're in for one of their conceptual episodes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, it was the original airing. I was promised happy vampire slaying funtimes, no one was expecting that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw The Body in real time and it was like a freaking punch in the gut. It started in the previous silly episode featuring a sexbot of all things too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, it was the original airing. I was promised happy vampire slaying funtimes, no one was expecting that.

Nice.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just caught up with everything and wanted to pop in and say Skye's floaty electro-buddy is super dreamy and he can transition me anytime. :allears:

FAKE EDIT: I stand by my unfortunate word choice. :colbert:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I've been reading some of the old Nick Fury comics including the one Agents of SHEILd is based off of, and this show really needs the old school comic Nick Fury.

I realize they can't use him so why not rename him Richard Stone (shields first director) and give him the old school personality. Have him show up in the last episode as Phil and Adema fight it out and take over.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This show isn't really based off any book in particular. But it does incorporate several plot points from Secret Warriors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spergatory posted:

I just caught up with everything and wanted to pop in and say Skye's floaty electro-buddy is super dreamy and he can transition me anytime. :allears:

FAKE EDIT: I stand by my unfortunate word choice. :colbert:

He was previously one of the leads of the cancelled CW show The Tomorrow People and FYI he went shirtless a lot on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

He was previously one of the leads of the cancelled CW show The Tomorrow People and FYI he went shirtless a lot on that.

He was an actor on Home and Away and as was standard spent a great deal of time in board shorts. Before that, he was on a show about teenage surfers with superpowers or something like that; I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve shirts. He's played to his strengths, you gotta admire him for it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 12, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Deadpool posted:

This show isn't really based off any book in particular. But it does incorporate several plot points from Secret Warriors.

It borrows really heavily from Secret Warriors, more then I remembered to be honest. Even Daisy's sex new boyfriend appears in it.

Also if I can't get the comic Nick Fury then I will settle for the Contessa as Deputy Director of Shield.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Rewatching all the MCU movies prior to Avengers 2. Interesting line in Iron Man 2:

Justin Hammer posted:

In the last six months, Anthony Stark has created a sword with untold possibilities. And yet he insists it's a shield.

Particularly epic foreshadowing, or just a poetic turn of phrase?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
SHIELD, SWORD, HAMMER, hmm, are they brothers?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
As awesome as things are getting, I'm kind of worried now that they've got the first inhuman out there. What if the whole thing degenerates into a X-Men style ridiculous power arms race? What if superpowered inhumans lose their inherent special-ness? What if we end up with Cable? :ohdear:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
We need the 12 year old Phones, God of Fear

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

sbaldrick posted:

It borrows really heavily from Secret Warriors, more then I remembered to be honest. Even Daisy's sex new boyfriend appears in it.

Also if I can't get the comic Nick Fury then I will settle for the Contessa as Deputy Director of Shield.

Huh? Lincoln isn't a 616 character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Barry Convex posted:

Huh? Lincoln isn't a 616 character.

I looked this up earlier because I was curios; it's possible Lincoln is some kind of amalgamation of various Phantom Riders. There have been a whole bunch of them through the generations, back to the 19th Century. One of them was named Lincoln, and another one was Daisy's boyfriend at one point. There powers don't really match AoS Lincoln's, but it's not that far away. Daisy's boyfriend had some fire creation powers, it's the same general type as electricity, i.e. "shoot energy stuff".

It's a far stretch, but I'd say there's maybe a chance they took some inspiration from that comic book guy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Now that she's revving up, I really wanna see Quake throw down with Gordon now, because it's pretty clear he's not on the level. It's also pretty clear that New Day SHIELD and the Inhumans are both being assholes and gearing up for a war, and Coulson's people are getting caught in the middle.

I'm really going to like Civil War if it's going to be the same---inhuman jerks versus human jerks with people like Cap and Coulson trying to reason with both sides. It's better than a dumb fight over whether people should carry a superhero license.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Chokes McGee posted:

Now that she's revving up, I really wanna see Quake throw down with Gordon now, because it's pretty clear he's not on the level. It's also pretty clear that New Day SHIELD and the Inhumans are both being assholes and gearing up for a war, and Coulson's people are getting caught in the middle.

I'm really going to like Civil War if it's going to be the same---inhuman jerks versus human jerks with people like Cap and Coulson trying to reason with both sides. It's better than a dumb fight over whether people should carry a superhero license.

"When I say 'Mary Sue,' you say 'Poots!"

I do wonder how her vibration powers would mess with Gordon, especially if he was in mid teleport. Could potentially be...messy.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 13, 2015

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think Lincoln is supposed to represent Hellfire from Secret Warriors. They would be missing out if they didn't use him like in the comics.

Now I wish the spinoff was about adapting Secret Warriors with Dum Dum leading them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think Lincoln is supposed to represent Hellfire from Secret Warriors. They would be missing out if they didn't use him like in the comics.

Now I wish the spinoff was about adapting Secret Warriors with Dum Dum leading them.

Lincoln is clearly Hellfire with Eden's powers.

Who says Dum Dum can't appear having taken the Infinity formula.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

I'm not sure how canon the one-shot short movies are, but I'm pretty sure one of them makes reference to Dugan being an old man.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

sbaldrick posted:

Lincoln is clearly Hellfire with Eden's powers.

Well seeing as the real (comic book) Dum Dum died in 1966, and has actually been an incredibly advanced LMD the whole time (which makes it especially hilarious that he had been kidnapped and replaced by an imposter at least three times to my knowledge), we don't even have to worry about any of that Infinity Formula nonsense!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
On the "why don't they hit Dethlok in the head thing", besides all the internal armor bolted to his skull, isn't he effectively on a watered down version of extremis 24/7? Unless it was a really big gun, he'd probably just regenerate. A pistol isn't going to do it.

Pander posted:

Unrealistically perfect lead, thin character carried by a skilled high profile actor, and comically incompetent B-plot villain group?

Fits pretty well, actually.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He also beat Godzilla in a fist fight

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Godzilla gets consistently beaten by a hippie caterpillar with a twins fetish so that's not all the impressive, to be honest. Come back when he's beaten Gamera in a fist fight, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Godzilla gets consistently beaten by a hippie caterpillar with a twins fetish so that's not all the impressive, to be honest. Come back when he's beaten Gamera in a fist fight, maybe.

What about if he fights Charles Barkley?

Afterlife is somewhere in Himalayas, right? Because in Agent Carter, one of the Howling Commandos said he saw a yeti and there's an actual Inhuman in the comics who resembles a yeti (and is in fact known as Yeti).

• Locked thread