Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
i got a whole bunch of these things from radio shack for making synth noises. i got a bag of bit snaps and wired them to a breadboard so i can do module prototyping but i am disappointed because there don't seem to be any "dick around with electronics" forums or threads anywhere on SA for me to share my tales of littlebit designing with other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
make sure you call it "circuit bending", op

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
only it's not circuit bending. I am, like, looking at datasheets and thinking of what I want to do then figuring out how to do it. I'm not shorting the contacts on a rom ic in an sk-1 using my semen. though if you are interested, feel free to pm me because I do have pics available of me doing that.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I circuit bent an old Casio by leaving it in a closet for three years so the batteries drained real low

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway the idiot spare time projects thread is probably what you're looking for

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

naturally sourced circuit bending

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i've got a little bit for you op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

those things look neat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

put your dick in it

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

akadajet posted:

those things look neat

they are. but you need to dump a bunch of money into them, and either build your own modules or be proficient with arduino c before you can make them do cool stuff. if you have radioshacks that are closing in your area, it may be worth it to clear them out at 40-50% off

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
do they support aftertouch

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
lol what am i saying korg makes them we'll be lucky if it even has midi for the mod wheel

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
actually, tater swiss, if you can wire together a 6n138, a few resistors and a midi jack to the arduino bit, they'll support pretty much any midi commands you can throw at them. a lot of the challenge is figuring out how to do things with them. like how yesterday I learned that an a/d envelope in series with a sequencer will work as a lag processor and give you portamento.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think portamento is traditionally done by running the keyboard cv thru a low pass filter since when you think about it a keyboard is just a reeeeal low frequency oscillator sample/holds voltages for a note and the filter rounds out the instant changes

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

At least post an example of the music OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uMEPzQg8I

I kinda hate koishistyle because he's a musical genius and I'm a talentless hack :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn4D79Jgn_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68nx7BPd7I8

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
loving fucksta man. been making a cd4018 clock divider for the littlebit synth. div by 2/4/6/8 was no problem, but odd divisions require some external logic. the loving data sheet says output 1 nand output 2 will give you divide by 3. loving wrong, I had to consult the cmos cookbook, it's output 1 AND output 2. the other problem is that littlebit power supply is super weak, the and (and nand, for that matter) don't trigger with enough power to drive the 4018 data input, so I also had to throw in a mickey mouse as gently caress basic transistor amp between the output of the AND chip and the data in on the 4018. all my test leds are blinking at the right rate now, it's also 3am and time for bed, gonna have to draw up the schematic and start transfering poo poo to a perf board tomorrow.

here, here are examples. sorry you're not cool enough to read the synth thread in nmd, error1

http://tindeck.com/users/sizone

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Man, got the clock divider bit working. It's pretty cool. Also built a midi->arduino adapter. Playin' the l'bits with a cbx-k1 right now and it is the loving sickest thing.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Haha

The cd4049 distortion circuit from Handmade Electronic Music having a single oscillator run through it and outputted to delay bit is loving amazing. Why aren't you goons getting on this poo poo?

Sizone fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 8, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
can u make a flanger w/ it

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
theoretically, yes. the delay bit is basically just a pt2399. voltage control could be hacked into the delay length of the commercially available bit , or you could just get a pt2399 and make your own. I can't think of any more elegant or crafty way to do it off the top of my head.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
one time i hooked up a speak and spell to my dick and made some music with it but i also singed the hairs off of my dick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

circuit boning

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Space-Pope posted:

one time i hooked up a speak and spell to my dick and made some music with it but i also singed the hairs off of my dick

yeah speaking of little bits

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bits in french means dick

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
its funny tho I dropped like 1300 on a synth last month no sweat but I look at these and I'm like TWO OR FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS WHAT THE HELL

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Tayter Swift posted:

its funny tho I dropped like 1300 on a synth last month no sweat but I look at these and I'm like TWO OR FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS WHAT THE HELL

weirder still, being a synth person and therefore autistic, you've pr'lly done the same with, like, magic cards or legos w/out a second thought.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sizone posted:

weirder still, being a synth person and therefore autistic, you've pr'lly done the same with, like, magic cards or legos w/out a second thought.

mana base alone for a modern deck would be that at the least

• Locked thread