Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Playing a human noble romancing Cullen is kind of fun, since the background talk in the throne room from the Orlesians has them talking about you. They loving know EVERYTHING about what is going on in your relationships. I didn't pay attention to if they talked about you when you were an elf. okay. gotta go download cheat engine again, because gently caress hunting. I wanna make some armor for my templar, but all of my leathers are cold or fire defense. I would like some stagger and ranged defense instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Solas has some amusing moments in his prudishness. Does the Fade tongue not count?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

I guess like with Josephine. It's weird to do her romance and then follow it with the embarassingly blocky full frontal Sera nudity.

Josephine's romance is inadvertently risque as a female qunari, I learned. Due to the lady qunari's stature, there are a few scenes where Josephine is clearly supposed to just be hugging you or putting her head on your shoulder or against your chest, but with a lady qunari it ends up with Josephine being really interested in the Inquisitor's boobs.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

GuyUpNorth posted:

Solas has some amusing moments in his prudishness. Does the Fade tongue not count?
I'll admit, the Dream Make Out Session where he goes, "Now it's to WAKE UP!" was cool. He's not an uninteresting character on his own, but as a romantic option he is just wholly unsatisfactory. He's a grim, humourless, condescending elf who makes a grim, humourless, condescending boyfriend. He doesn't suddenly unclench because he likes you.

Parody Threads - ride that Bull. Iron Bull is the best. It really says something that a BioWare game provides a healthier, more informative depiction of BDSM relationships than 50 Shades of Grey. He gives you a safe word!

Edit: I've heard somewhere that if you don't romance Iron Bull or Dorian, their banter eventually implies they're together. 70% of my parties on this last play through had Dorian and Iron Bull but there was almost no banter. Maybe this time?

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

AnimeJune posted:

Parody Threads - ride that Bull. Iron Bull is the best. It really says something that a BioWare game provides a healthier, more informative depiction of BDSM relationships than 50 Shades of Grey. He gives you a safe word!

The gay romance is great too; really Iron Bull is the best romance, mainly because he's such a bro and who doesn't want to have awesome sex with your best bro?

Bored posted:

Playing a human noble romancing Cullen is kind of fun, since the background talk in the throne room from the Orlesians has them talking about you. They loving know EVERYTHING about what is going on in your relationships. I didn't pay attention to if they talked about you when you were an elf. okay. gotta go download cheat engine again, because gently caress hunting. I wanna make some armor for my templar, but all of my leathers are cold or fire defense. I would like some stagger and ranged defense instead.

I love those nobles in the throne room. As a male inquisitor I flirted with Dorian and Bull a couple times and so every time I walked past one of them would say "commited bachelor I hear, pity.".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AnimeJune posted:

I'll admit, the Dream Make Out Session where he goes, "Now it's to WAKE UP!" was cool. He's not an uninteresting character on his own, but as a romantic option he is just wholly unsatisfactory. He's a grim, humourless, condescending elf who makes a grim, humourless, condescending boyfriend. He doesn't suddenly unclench because he likes you.

Edit: I've heard somewhere that if you don't romance Iron Bull or Dorian, their banter eventually implies they're together. 70% of my parties on this last play through had Dorian and Iron Bull but there was almost no banter. Maybe this time?

Yeah, they eventually hook up given enough time, though you do have to bring them around enough for the banters to trigger. You can also ask them for clarification afterwards.

Blackwall and Josephine also start up a small courtship.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Bored posted:

The elf romance with Cullen gets the same commentary I think.

It's surprisingly cute.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

The elf romance with Cullen gets the same commentary I think.

It's surprisingly cute.

You can overhear some nobles at the Skyhold garden talking about you and Josephine if you romance her. I did it as a qunari woman, so one guy naturally voiced concerns that Lady Montilyet was disgracing her station by opening taking up with a qunari, and would obviously have to marry someone else to provide heirs for the family. The other noble opines that bedding Andraste's Herald is the next thing to boinking Andraste herself and thus is the best conceivable match for the Lady Montilyet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Guys, guys

I don't think Cass is happy with my thoughtful gift

:saddowns:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

grack posted:

Guys, guys

That's just what happens when you get fantasy botox.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Being able to name my knives "Friendship" and "Understanding." when they both have +damage to the living amuses me more then I should admit. :unsmigghh:

But to the point, there is no Dex metals, correct? So just slap constitution on there instead?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

grack posted:

Guys, guys

She's just taking a moment to figure out who or what to punch next for this.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Can anyone place who voices Seggrit, the merchant in Haven? He sounds amazingly familiar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thyrork posted:

Being able to name my knives "Friendship" and "Understanding." when they both have +damage to the living amuses me more then I should admit. :unsmigghh:

But to the point, there is no Dex metals, correct? So just slap constitution on there instead?

No dex metals, no, but you can probably make something with leather as part of the formula if you schematics that allow it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i actually failed to romance anyone in my playthrough. I selected the heart with Cassandra every time but I didn't know she wasn't into women so lol. I had done the same thing with Josephine but apparently not enough or something? Last thing I had down that path was Leliana wanting to talk to me about Josephine and warning me that if I hurt her she'd kick my rear end or whatever and then basically nothing else happened until the game ended. Could never quite tell if that was supposed to be the relationship or if there was supposed to be more :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zzulu posted:

i actually failed to romance anyone in my playthrough. I selected the heart with Cassandra every time but I didn't know she wasn't into women so lol. I had done the same thing with Josephine but apparently not enough or something? Last thing I had down that path was Leliana wanting to talk to me about Josephine and warning me that if I hurt her she'd kick my rear end or whatever and then basically nothing else happened until the game ended. Could never quite tell if that was supposed to be the relationship or if there was supposed to be more :shrug:

There was more. If you already did Josephine's family quest, then after Leliana's warning the next time you talked to Josephine it should have triggered a scene between you and Josephine to continue the romance.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Thyrork posted:

I did one with +damage to living and one with +damage to demons to cover my bases, named 'Man-Eater' and 'Her-Hot-Friend' and threw whatever fade-touched material casts Hidden Blades on each. Overpowered would be a significant understatement.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Some art assets someone found- possible upcoming spoilers: http://burritorat.tumblr.com/post/116310348882/biowuuuur-pls-my-heart

e: looks like it's for multiplayer?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I flirted with Scout Harding but that doesn't go anywhere.

Have they released Black Emporium yet? I might start up again if they have. It's been a while since I played.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Nihilarian posted:

I flirted with Scout Harding but that doesn't go anywhere.

Have they released Black Emporium yet? I might start up again if they have. It's been a while since I played.

Not yet. If you have Origin on PC, you can see they are planning it and it will be free.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh. Romance question. Sorry!

So I'm playing a daelish elf. Want to romance someone. But how far can I take it before I lock out options? I'd say the game has so far been good with prompts. Like: if you do x then you can't do y.

But now it just threw me a question : do you want to blah blah with Josephine.

Do I? Does that mean I have to stop flirting with iron bull and Dorian? Or cullen for that matter?

Ugh. Romance is the worst. But also kinda cute and often funny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Affi posted:

Ugh. Romance question. Sorry!

So I'm playing a daelish elf. Want to romance someone. But how far can I take it before I lock out options? I'd say the game has so far been good with prompts. Like: if you do x then you can't do y.

But now it just threw me a question : do you want to blah blah with Josephine.

Do I? Does that mean I have to stop flirting with iron bull and Dorian? Or cullen for that matter?

Ugh. Romance is the worst. But also kinda cute and often funny.

You're romance-locked in the game, yeah. Once you commit to one you can't date someone else unless you break it off. You can basically flirt around til you commit, then flirt options won't even show up for other characters.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Leelee posted:

Some art assets someone found- possible upcoming spoilers: http://burritorat.tumblr.com/post/116310348882/biowuuuur-pls-my-heart

maybe, that multiplayer info looks like it's just from an anon

I'd be on board with a "go hang out with pirate admiral Isabela" DLC

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 13, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pattonesque posted:

maybe, that info looks like it's just from an anon

I'd be on board with a "go hang out with pirate admiral Isabela" DLC

For some reason ever since Varric mentioned that Isabella is now Pirate Grand Admiral I haven't been able to help picturing her obsessing over a crocodile and having fights with an abomination who has stolen a child's body.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Reveilled posted:

For some reason ever since Varric mentioned that Isabella is now Pirate Grand Admiral I haven't been able to help picturing her obsessing over a crocodile and having fights with an abomination who has stolen a child's body.
I would 1000% be behind a gender-swapped Peter Pan retelling.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

The DLC I want the most is the expansion of Val Royeaux into an actual city and not just a tiny vendortown.

e: vvv I would love it if they took the opportunity to do something with the Enigma of Kirkwall, and also for us to do something about it, like burning it all down.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 14, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Stroop There It Is posted:

The DLC I want the most is the expansion of Val Royeaux into an actual city and not just a tiny vendortown.

really just any city

even kirkwall again

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Leelee posted:

Well at least she got her pants back.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Haven't read a word of this thread but I'm thinking of getting this. If I liked the first game but was mildly annoyed by the second one would I like this?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pattonesque posted:

really just any city

even kirkwall again

Now that Cory's making trouble, looking into the evil blood magic machinations beneath the city that may or may not have something to do with his power seems like an obvious move.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

ven kirkwall again

We burnt down Kirkwall and we meant it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Haven't read a word of this thread but I'm thinking of getting this. If I liked the first game but was mildly annoyed by the second one would I like this?

I hadn't even played either of the first two and I loved this one. Dive in!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I was like that, and I'm really enjoying this.

But I'll state what the OP said as well as adding my own extra. GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE HINTERLANDS.

Maybe do the stuff with the horsemaster too, hes a cool duder.

Also do the dragon age keep, its abit of work but oh my god the little payoffs are so great. :magical:

But eitherway, get the gently caress out of the hinterlands.

AnimeJune posted:

I would 1000% be behind a gender-swapped Peter Pan retelling.

I... never realised that I wanted this. :aaa:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hasn't Peter Pan already been a woman for like a hundred years?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Hasn't Peter Pan already been a woman for like a hundred years?

Think Captain Hook.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

I enjoyed the first one, skipped the second, and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Get it!

To elaborate on what Thyrork said above, though - the Hinterlands is the first big zone you come to, and it's larger than any other zone you'll encounter. A lot of players get tempted to clear it out before moving on with the story and get burned out, so basically as soon as you're able to move on with the story and open up more areas, do so. You can always come back later and clear it out.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

really just any city

even kirkwall again

How dare you want a Baldur's Gate when you could have a generic and bland alleyway with a few vendors devoid of personality.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

Space Racist posted:

I enjoyed the first one, skipped the second, and thoroughly enjoyed this one. Get it!

To elaborate on what Thyrork said above, though - the Hinterlands is the first big zone you come to, and it's larger than any other zone you'll encounter. A lot of players get tempted to clear it out before moving on with the story and get burned out, so basically as soon as you're able to move on with the story and open up more areas, do so. You can always come back later and clear it out.
Yeah, most areas will have one or two major quests (in the Exalted Plains you have to burn corpses, in Emprise de Leon you have to storm a keep and defeat a demon, etc) and then a lot of grind-y Kill This Dude or Find These Things filler quests. However, not every area will have a Major Storyline quest in it - as long as you keep your levels up, you can actually skip certain areas entirely without losing one iota of story. In my last play through, I stopped by the Hissing Wastes solely for the Dog Merchant and avoided Emerald Graves entirely.

The Hinterlands has - maybe - four important quests. Rescue Mother Giselle, do the Horsemaster's errands, spank the Mage and Templar camps, and activate Solas' glowing green veil-protecting artefact. Everything else is filler - although the Hinterlands has a lovely Starter Dragon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
One notable bit is that the Hinterlands is bursting with agents who count as Inquisition perks and can help you get some of the more useful perks a bit faster; there's three in or near that cult's base alone if you just do a couple of close fetch quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

AnimeJune posted:

Ugh. Finished my second play through where I attempted to romance Solas. After seeing the epilogue, I thought bringing that knowledge to another play through where I'm romancing him would allow me to see him from a different perspective.

NOPE. Guys, friends don't let friends romance Solas. Dude'll only date an elf, and only if she'll let him condescendingly lecture her on how the culture she's been raised in is wrong and stupid. There's actually a romantic scene where he's like, "Elves are stupidly misguided fools, but they created you - I suppose they are not complete loving morons. Isn't it great to be the one exception?"

It's like dating that one philosophy major in college who thinks it's so deep to talk about how humanity is God's greatest mistake. He makes Anders look like Prince Charming. Like, Anders is a terrorist, but at least he's not a COMPLETELY passive-aggressive dick about it?

However, it IS hilarious that the romantic Solas fan art on Tumblr almost always depicts him with hair (usually dreadlocks, for some reason). Like, they'll put up with him being a condescending, grim, paternalistic, disapproving history teacher of a character BUT GOD FORBID HE BE BALD. Is there some fanon that he lost his hair, Dr. Evil style, when he took mortal form or something?

Doing my third play through as a haughty, aggressive human noble warrior who completely buys into that Andraste's Herald stuff - who's riding the Cullen train all the way to the end of the station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK6CCmNbFKU

• Locked thread