Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Can anyone explain to me what these events that causes the Abbasid Caliph to lose 50% decadence out of nowhere are? He's gotten them three times in a row now, every time knocking him down from 100% decadence to 50%. I've been keeping a close eye on him, since I want to attack when he gets a revolt.
Every time a decadence invasion hits a Muslim ruler, they lose 50 decadence, preventing them by being hit by one multiple times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Every time a decadence invasion hits a Muslim ruler, they lose 50 decadence, preventing them by being hit by one multiple times in a row.

I know that, but no invasions appeared. He got hit by one at first, which he beat down within a year, because the invasion force was smaller than what the Caliph had. Then he hit 100% decadence again three times within the next 6 years, but every time an event would push him back down to 50% without having any additional invasions appear.
I hope defeating one invasion doesn't means you're immune to more invasions for a set amount of time, because Muslim realms are strong and stable enough as it is. And it's especially annoying now that the decadence invasions seem so ridiculously easy to beat back anyway.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Weird, that's the only situation in which decadence should drop so fast. At least its not the days when Charlemagne first came out, and the Abbasids never got decadence at all.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Torrannor posted:

You must tightly control you dynasty to cheese tanistry. Never land any family member and make sure that there are only two branches to your family. In both branches you must have only one person continuing the line, every other male member doesn't get to marry. Then you can educate the kids of the other branch yourself, ensuring good heirs. If you spread out your dynasty, it's out of your hands.

Also, vassals really, really hate to vote for people of another realm, so unless the Norwegian branch is the only branch left while your family in your realm died out, you will never unite the realms through simple inheritance.

Whoops. My dynasty is already spread pretty wide, in the 30 years since the game started my kinsmen hosed a whole lot :v:

Too bad about that, I'd have loved to unite Norge + Ireland and steamroll the loving English. Is there a way to get all that poo poo under the same ruler without too much fuckery?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Whoops. My dynasty is already spread pretty wide, in the 30 years since the game started my kinsmen hosed a whole lot :v:

Too bad about that, I'd have loved to unite Norge + Ireland and steamroll the loving English. Is there a way to get all that poo poo under the same ruler without too much fuckery?
Claims seem the most obvious, just make sure they aren't too close, heh.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
have pdx ever addressed the possibility if gaining betrothals in peace deals? It was a fairly common thing at the time, and could be used to secure a good marriage where opinion can't be overcome through caah or improve relations with the chancellor.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
What I'd like to see is some added diversity to CBs. There was a pretty neat one in the GOT mod where you could go to war with people you really hated just to rough them up and extort some money out of them as part of a peace deal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I finished a game for the first time and decided to convert it for use in EU4. Looking through the files it looks like for some reason the empire of Hispannia as well as all the Karling states, except for Italy, and holy orders are in the eastern tech group while the Byzantines and Indians are all western.

paranoid randroid posted:

What I'd like to see is some added diversity to CBs. There was a pretty neat one in the GOT mod where you could go to war with people you really hated just to rough them up and extort some money out of them as part of a peace deal.

I like the way the GoT mod handles civil wars. You aren't automatically drawn into the war if you aren'T directly involved and can actually hold back on choosing sides until you can see which side has the upper hand, or just stay neutral throughout the whole war. Though if I remember correctly that makes neither side like you.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 14, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dareon posted:

Also I recommend making your own mod in order to play around with defines.lua (among other things). You can get a lot of interesting results out of a modded defines.

:stare: Arumba and I have the same desktop background. I'm definitely excited that he made a video about it, I've always wanted to make a mod that lets everyone raid, sail rivers, and do a few other things.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

I finished a game for the first time and decided to convert it for use in EU4. Looking through the files it looks like for some reason the empire of Hispannia as well as all the Karling states, except for Italy, and holy orders are in the eastern tech group while the Byzantines and Indians are all western.

Welcome to the converter! :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Broken Cog posted:

Can anyone explain to me what these events that causes the Abbasid Caliph to lose 50% decadence out of nowhere are? He's gotten them three times in a row now, every time knocking him down from 100% decadence to 50%. I've been keeping a close eye on him, since I want to attack when he gets a revolt.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here but short of console cheating there is nothing you can do about the Abbasids.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

:stonklol:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Welcome to the converter! :v:

How exactly does it decide which tech group to put countries in; Is it the tech levels in CK2 or is it based on culture or location or something?

Like the holy orders have most of their land in the middle east and the formerly pagan areas of eastern Europe so that might be the reason they're all eastern tech except for the knights of Santiago who are in the muslim tech group despite owning no lands east of Anatolia(which is 100% catholic) and being lead by Castillian Karlings.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 14, 2015

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I was looking for the official forum, and...check out the 'testimonials' at the bottom of this page, including "10/10, would imprison and execute my pedophilic gay uncle again." :stonklol: http://www.crusaderkings.com/

Paradox know how to PR for their audience.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Oberleutnant posted:

have pdx ever addressed the possibility if gaining betrothals in peace deals? It was a fairly common thing at the time, and could be used to secure a good marriage where opinion can't be overcome through caah or improve relations with the chancellor.

This is a really fun idea.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I want to try a Cathar run, is the fastest way to get it to show up still setting your chaplain to research cultural tech?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's an event or two that can fire in the Religion focus that could see you switching to a heresy. I got cathar out of it, more likely you'll just wind up buddies with bishops. Or worse, Lollard.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dareon posted:

There's an event or two that can fire in the Religion focus that could see you switching to a heresy. I got cathar out of it, more likely you'll just wind up buddies with bishops. Or worse, Lollard.
Honestly, I´d really dig a "minor religion" patch, where they gave Defensive Pagans and Lollards Temple Holdic, maybe Enatic laws for the Cathars and other cool stuff that wouldn't be too hard, as well as making the heresies more of an option. All of that would be core-game influencing content too.

That and a will mechanic for gavelkind. I mean, titles are already given weight, just make that into a more complex mechanic; maybe tie events and traits into it; a content heir wants less land, an ambitious more: By giving up all the duchies you can keep a kingdom or other thangs like that. Also the ability to enforce inheritance laws on my vassals, without the console.

But yea, Lollards and Waldensians are just dull in base game. The only actually noteworthy heresies are the Kharjites, Iconoclasts and Manicheans in game and Messalinans, Cathars and the Bogomils for game mechanics, and even then the last literally only get like, female temple holders I think?

Broken Cog posted:

I want to try a Cathar run, is the fastest way to get it to show up still setting your chaplain to research cultural tech?
Fastest is character creator or the console. :v:
There's no cheevos tied into it anyway. It's a really rough start that way though; unless you picked a king or mega-duke you're very likely to get hosed over hard.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
I'm looking for a good Muslim character to play as. I've only played one other game as Ireland, so I'm looking for something more challenging than that, but not super hard.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DiseasedTempest posted:

I'm looking for a good Muslim character to play as. I've only played one other game as Ireland, so I'm looking for something more challenging than that, but not super hard.

Abbadid in Spain at the 1066 start

Dujure claim on a duchy that you hold 2/3s of. Near the bottom of Spain so you can ally with north African Muslims. Have a few weak rear end single county or small duchy rulers surrounding. Just grab counties from fellow Muslims as they get holy warred/ war between each other.

I conquered all of Spain doing this and now I'm working on claiming Ireland for the great Spanish Sunni empire. Only need 2 more counties lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I also did set mg decadence to a perma 0 though since my king was stuck in some duke's army and I couldn't go on Hajj.

Well I set it to zero and its never gone up so w/e idc that mechanic sucks

e: idk about anyone else but since I'm so far from Sunni holy sites I said gently caress joining wars over there so I'm getting all my Moral Authority from the 16-17 Yazidi revolts I've had. Hovering around a nice 35-38 at all times which seems to be enough that I am able to convert my counties back to Sunni without the Imam

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 15, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:pwn:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
One time Jesus was giving my duke advice but then he was shortly brained in battle regardless of the Good Lord's favor and spent the better part of a decade as a vegetable :(

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

The best you can do is make a decision that allows you to marry prisoners you have captured in a siege.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Some Fraticelli idiot took a bunch of counties in Northern England, so I Holy-Warred him for a couple of them.
A fair few nearby dukes and counts joined the Holy War and we slowly ground the heretic down.
Warscore hit 100%, I hit Offer Peace and watched as the counties failed to change hands, thanks to my erstwhile allies also having ongoing Holy Wars.

The only consolation was an Adventurer invading at that precise moment, letting me move my troops over a couple of counties and squash him almost before he'd finished getting off the boat.
I'd rather have the counties, mind you.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

FreudianSlippers posted:

How exactly does it decide which tech group to put countries in; Is it the tech levels in CK2 or is it based on culture or location or something?

As far as I know, it takes the CK2 areas with the highest tech and makes them Western. It's a bit unfortunate the EU tech groups have location based names in that regard.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Green Wing posted:

I was looking for the official forum, and...check out the 'testimonials' at the bottom of this page, including "10/10, would imprison and execute my pedophilic gay uncle again." :stonklol: http://www.crusaderkings.com/

Paradox know how to PR for their audience.

These are great.

quote:

Daughter contracted syphilis. Made her marry my enemy and give him syphilis. 10/10 biological warfare simulator.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Getting used to playing this game again; having not played in nearly a year makes for a bit of a challenge, between getting used to how things have changed and just having forgotten things, from minor (oh huh everything in Ireland has different names) confusion to somewhat more frustration (where did this window go why can't I get to the diplomacy screen where the hell is everything augh- Oh wait it's a tiny popup that comes when you right-click portraits, huh). Some questions:

How does one vassalize their religious leader? Particularly wondering for Zoroastrians; should it happen automatically, or is there some trick to it?

When changing your capital, you keep all your tech points you have stocked up, right? So if I'm planning on changing capitals the moment I get the new place I should save my points instead of spending them on my current capital, for example.

I remember there being a small mod for Zoroastrian stuff that added things like Sogdian events, certain traits affecting Zoroastrians in certain ways (Honest having a bonus to opinion and piety, etc.), and eventually rebuilding Persepolis if you put your capital in the historical location (sadly a relatively not-great province in CKII; while I liked the other aspects of this mod I wasn't entirely sure on this whole thing really). I can't remember what it was called, though; it was part of one of the larger mod packs but had its own thread on their forums I think. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 15, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The Moabadan Moabad should automatically be vassalized, gaining a temple in or around Isfahan somewhere. And I think I know the mod you're talking about. Can't remember the name but IIRC it hasn't been updated since like RoI came out.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Roland Jones posted:

How does one vassalize their religious leader? Particularly wondering for Zoroastrians; should it happen automatically, or is there some trick to it?

When changing your capital, you keep all your tech points you have stocked up, right? So if I'm planning on changing capitals the moment I get the new place I should save my points instead of spending them on my current capital, for example.

I remember there being a small mod for Zoroastrian stuff that added things like Sogdian events, certain traits affecting Zoroastrians in certain ways (Honest having a bonus to opinion and piety, etc.), and eventually rebuilding Persepolis if you put your capital in the historical location (sadly a relatively not-great province in CKII; while I liked the other aspects of this mod I wasn't entirely sure on this whole thing really). I can't remember what it was called, though; it was part of one of the larger mod packs but had its own thread on their forums I think. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

The decision to restore the Zoroastrian priesthood should make him a vassal, yes.

I think that tech points work that way but I can't remember off the top of my head.

The mod you're thinking of was called Mazdayasna Zarathustrish or something like that - IIRC it is no longer being updated but CK2+ (and I believe HIP) integrated it. CK2+ moved the Persepolis decision to Esfahan for probably that same reason.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks much. Alright, I should probably check out CK2+ sometime. (Again? I can't remember if it was HIP or CK2+ I used when I last played; I think the latter may have not been active back then...) After I get used to vanilla again though; probably gonna finish at least one or two base games first.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Has anybody here tried Monotheism Rising? It sounds rather interesting and after my current Cornish game I'm thinking of trying it out.

Also, ugh, everyday when I get on my computer I hope to find an announcement for the next DLC.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Satan turned me gay.

Playing with the "Voice of Satan" modifier is pretty fun. Loads of events I've never seen before.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Satan turned me gay.

Playing with the "Voice of Satan" modifier is pretty fun. Loads of events I've never seen before.

Yeah Possessed/Lunatic characters are always interesting to play. It's too bad their kingdoms tend to crumble under them because of all the negative modifiers their vassals will have against them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, just remembered, what were the standards for tax/levy laws and what holdings to build in your empty slots? Castles were for troops and towns cash, I think, and churches would be balanced but if you're Catholic all their everything goes to the pope (unless they like you better, which they won't) so they're useless in most western Europe playthroughs. Is that about right?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 15, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, just remembered, what were the standards for tax/levy laws and what holdings to build in your empty slots? Castles were for troops and towns cash, I think, and churches would be balanced but if you're Catholic all their everything goes to the pope (unless they like you better, which they won't) so they're useless in most western Europe playthroughs. Is that about right?

Mostly, except for the church thing you can just make an antipope and then they will always pay to you directly. Generally if you're building stuff yourself though, it's going to be castles and cities (and you shouldn't really build more castles than you can personally hold in your demense). In your capital you're especially going to want to go heavy on castles and cities since you get tax and levy bonuses there, and can boost them even more by using your marshal and steward.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Viet Immersion did that before it died, actually, but I think it was incorporating part of that other mod before it was updated.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ugh, I've gotten 8 or 9 heresy events now, but every single one has been for Waldensian or Lollard.

Edit: Thanks, Jesus.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 16, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Broken Cog posted:

Ugh, I've gotten 8 or 9 heresy events now, but every single one has been for Waldensian or Lollard.

Edit: Thanks, Jesus.

Well, that's an interesting event there.

Also, one more CK2+ Zoroastrian question. Is it possible to become the Saoshyant in it, and if so, how? It did away with the old Persian Empire, so does it have a new method or is it out?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Roland Jones posted:

Well, that's an interesting event there.

Also, one more CK2+ Zoroastrian question. Is it possible to become the Saoshyant in it, and if so, how? It did away with the old Persian Empire, so does it have a new method or is it out?

Conveniently I have an ongoing Zoroastrian game in CK2+ right now!

The Persian Empire title still exists, it is just titular, and the requirements to become the Saoshyant are almost identical to vanilla - you need to hold mostly the same territory (all of the de jure kingdom of Persia plus Basra and a few duchies from Mesopotamia and Khwarizm - vanilla requires you control Afghanistan too), the Persian Empire title, and have either 2000 piety or 1500 plus a top-tier education or the Genius trait. However, in CK2+ the Saoshyant decision won't be visible in the list until you've created Persia (which is probably why you thought it had been removed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If I wanted to play in the Charlieboy start but with the Old Gods requirements for the HRE is that even possible? Could I do it myself? I'd like to see the HRE appear but man the last game I played to about 1000+ AD western europe was a complete clusterf*rt

• Locked thread