Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Note for players who participated in money fantasy leagues: Gifting restrictions just got lifted. If the total pain in the rear end that was keeping somebody friended for two weeks was keeping you from throwing your mystery skin in, now's the time to prove yourself a person of honour and good taste by giving your mystery gift to the winners. Don't be a welcher!

---

Also yeesh, Pawn really is the China final boss. Even while sick, EDG just stomped with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah their synergy is way better than Clearlove and U's.

Edit: Honestly it's probably just a lot easier to play jungle when you have the best player in the world playing with you.

Even if he's sick and not firing on all cylinders it might just be the mental effect and the overall morale.

Pawn had a game, he looked decent enough but he didn't poo poo all over WE; mostly it was Clearlove and Koro1 doing work.

Spirit looked kind of out of sorts too.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
So how sick was Pawn exactly? I couldn't watch the games due to time zone but going by people's reactions I'm thinking he was literally pulled from the hospital and carried EDG with his dying breath. LPL doesn't gently caress around, eh?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
World Elite doing well is both a surprise and not at all. They had solid players but never got any footing, and suddenly in playoff time they're looking a ton stronger. They're getting good enough to cause upsets but aren't solid enough to be a top 4 team in China yet.

By the way, PawN had Enteritis -- Basically food poisoning

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Am watching Monte's review of C9 vs TL. And I feel like it's slowly devolving into "RIOT STOP POSTING TWEETS!"

He just went on a mini rant about how OGN's player reaction cuts are better than posting random tweets over the status screen.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Calax posted:

Am watching Monte's review of C9 vs TL. And I feel like it's slowly devolving into "RIOT STOP POSTING TWEETS!"

He just went on a mini rant about how OGN's player reaction cuts are better than posting random tweets over the status screen.
OGN has been doing production for E-Sports for a decade, while Riot's been doing it for about 3 years professionally. Of course OGN has their poo poo together.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like the tweets, also not sure I get Monte's consternation about them. They replace the item/gold window for a few seconds. How much of anyones attention is ever on the item window at any given time? Full screen cutaways to casters or audience shots are far worse. Those are my biggest peeve in any sport.

baseball is really bad because they often use shots of the casters, even when the game is not on a break, and if there is an interview with someone they might even do some obnoxious picture in picture split screen so we can see a bunch of adult men awkwardly stand around in the booth instead of a bunch of adult men awkwardly stand around on the field.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
:qq:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

I like the tweets, also not sure I get Monte's consternation about them. They replace the item/gold window for a few seconds. How much of anyones attention is ever on the item window at any given time? Full screen cutaways to casters or audience shots are far worse. Those are my biggest peeve in any sport.
Based on what I'm seeing, for him part of the issue was tht he's trying to talk about builds then a tweet from Dyrus pops up. And on top of that his opinion is that the tweets do nothing but distract the casters, while the OGN face shots will create a mythology behind the game (he specifically brings up the Ryu.jpg and Piglet.gif images that run around)

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I know Kobe got interrupted at least once during that series so Riv could read a tweet. I'm basically with Monte; I don't really care that Dyrus thinks Quas is a god. Dyrus isn't in the game. Let me see things that relate to the game instead.

Like, think of all the low resolution reaction gifs or pictures people make from the player cams on the bottom half of the screen, and imagine those being something you could actually see.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Calax posted:

I like the concept of the player reaction shots from OGN but the execution is really lackluster a lot of the time. It's wonderful that you are showing me The_Way_Trace_Looks_Literally_100%_Of_The_Time.gif but there are still fights happening. Have the discipline to keep it in your pants for another 15 seconds.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Disinterested posted:

I love that the Chinese analyst twitteratti are raging out so hard that EDG is losing.

they are nutso man, they literally refuse to give Pawn (and also Deft) for hard carrying them all the loving time lol. they also think weiless is some kind of god it's super weird.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Lovechop posted:

they are nutso man, they literally refuse to give Pawn (and also Deft) for hard carrying them all the loving time lol. they also think weiless is some kind of god it's super weird.

The Chinese analysts on twitter are basically the hipsters of the league scene so no surprises.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bubble-T posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GniZHF82mc

Monte's review of UoL vs SK game 5 is pretty amusing, the first half is him being shocked that UoL eventually win.

Also is something wrong with smite? I swear we've seen too many barons/dragons stolen by regular abilities lately, especially when it's against pro teams running two smites.

Monte's exasperation and bewilderment throughout this game is just amazing to behold. :allears:

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GniZHF82mc

Monte's review of UoL vs SK game 5 is pretty amusing, the first half is him being shocked that UoL eventually win.

Also is something wrong with smite? I swear we've seen too many barons/dragons stolen by regular abilities lately, especially when it's against pro teams running two smites.

"Oh wow, look at this! The top tower went down to SK's minions! Good job, SK's minions! Doing what SK won't." :allears:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
is anyone watching Tabbz stream? there was a dumb rumour he was going to some turkish team so he's playing turkish music, has a map of turkey over the map, a kebab shop over his items and is playing sultan tryndamere (who he decided to be the most turkish champion)

basically it's funny as gently caress

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I watched EDG/WE spoiler free this afternoon and wow that was quite a series. Pawn should make sure to not get sick ever again, or just cart an IV to the stage and play seated in a custom gaming toilet or something if he's got food poisoning.

Also the EDG Galio pick was baffling in that it didn't fit their team composition well or counter WE; and I say that as a lover of the Gargoyle.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Apparently it'll take him two months to recover too

Lovechop posted:

is anyone watching Tabbz stream? there was a dumb rumour he was going to some turkish team so he's playing turkish music, has a map of turkey over the map, a kebab shop over his items and is playing sultan tryndamere (who he decided to be the most turkish champion)

basically it's funny as gently caress
I went to check and he set up a poll asking whether to play
sultan tryndamere
sultan gangplank
kebab

wtf

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Score eSports posted:

After seeing Edward Gaming lose their first game, pawN asked to be rushed to the stadium from the hospital, saying that "EDG needs me." San Shao did not want to force him to play through his pain, but pawN performed exceptionally, bringing tears to his eyes.
:3:

But yeah, it's not food poisoning by the sound of things.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
man who said league hipsters was right, froskuurin on twitter:
"I believe EDG's victory hinged far more on champion pick than individual performance or roster swaps. GGWP to EDG."

lol yeah it wasn't down to a world champion god moding it on kassadin to save their dumb asses of course, they could have easily won with the retarded galio guy too

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ihki posted:

:3:

But yeah, it's not food poisoning by the sound of things.

poo poo you can get from spoiled food can be very serious.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
gently caress that poo poo, do not risk ruining your back at 12 years old or whatever for a goddamn video game. This goes for sports also. Don't be a macho hero, you're gonna be done before 30 no matter what. Even for the short term! Don't risk your health for Worlds for the first round of spring playoffs.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Then I don't know where the food poisoning story came from then (was posted pretty affirmatively in this thread).

Pawn's probably got a bad back from carrying teams too hard for so long. When he saw the Galio pick in Game 3 he slapped an icy hot on that motherfucker and chartered a private helicopter to the eSports stadium.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Lovechop posted:

lol yeah it wasn't down to a world champion god moding it on kassadin to save their dumb asses of course, they could have easily won with the retarded galio guy too

iirc the sub was told he'd be playing like 2 hours before the match started

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

archduke.iago posted:

iirc the sub was told he'd be playing like 2 hours before the match started

who needs practice when ur the loving galio GOD, dude

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Lovechop posted:

who needs practice when ur the loving galio GOD, dude

"Well I did just play Galio in a soloQ game..."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Hey, you know how it goes, he's gotta git gud for the new skin. And there's no practice like practice against a pro team!

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
The tank meta dude........ Galio.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

An excerpt of a post one of the EDG management made on Facebook after the win:

quote:

U has not been in our scrims very often. You have to understand that U was absolutely the carry of our team, deserving so much credit for our dominance last year, transitioned into a sub. There is a huge amount of pressure on him, win or lose. He played very well today, not afraid to make plays, which give us a huge boost in confidence. I asked him before the match: are you nervous? He said no problem, as long as our team come on top, he’ll accept any arrangement. Right before the match, deft told me that pawn said if we lost the first game, he’ll crawl to the stadium if he had to. As the score became 2:2, I was hesitating to bring pawn in. For such a young man, is it to harsh for him to play with the injury? Then pawn sent a message to me: EDG need me. I watched him as he was sitting there like a stone, unable to move and waiting for the translator to set up his equipment. As I continued to watch, pawn instant locked and performed perfectly with kassidan, tears begin to drop. We knew how much pain he had to endure to play this game. After the match he hugged me and said “me boom~”. I don’t know what to say. I returned a big hug to him and quickly sent him on bus.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
pawn is a loving monster holy poo poo

comes from the brink of death to save his team from the edge of the abyss, EDG is so not loving worthy holy poo poo

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Disinterested posted:

poo poo you can get from spoiled food can be very serious.

For sure, but the article talks about back pain specifically. Not a doctor, but my best guess is it'd have to be a pretty wild diagnosis that food poisoning induced back pain would hospitalize him twice.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
When they make the movie are they going to have Pawn parachute from a fighter jet down to the stadium ?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Luna Was Here posted:

comes from the brink of death to save his team from the edge of the abyss, EDG is so not loving worthy holy poo poo

Sounds like they really appreciate it, from the FB post.

Also, U was an incredible mid laner back in the day, when he was on EDG they were incredibly dominant. Obviously he wasn't in top form during his matches today, but you can't really blame him. With so little preparation, I'd say he honestly did pretty loving well also.

I guess considering Pawn's injury it's good that EDG has two of the best mid laners in China on their roster, but I kind of wish U was on the main roster somewhere else.

E: also, pawn's a hero but holy poo poo I don't think it's worth risking your back for a video game....

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 14, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ihki posted:

For sure, but the article talks about back pain specifically. Not a doctor, but my best guess is it'd have to be a pretty wild diagnosis that food poisoning induced back pain would hospitalize him twice.

You can hurt your back wretching your guts out.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

http://www.thescoreesports.com/lol/news/1216

Feels a bit melodramatic.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
EDG is one of the rich owner teams so Pawn's probably going to get a bonus for his heroics.

It may be melodramatic, but it's also perfect ESPORTS narrative tbh

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i'm surprised EDG's new HQ doesnt have a hospital wing where PawN can recover.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Luna Was Here posted:

Seriously, no wonder the guy is the world champ, that's some loving HUGE hunger. EDG better loving win the tournament for his sake or he might work himself into an early grave.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
About the Analysts:

I mean, on one hand, yeah, Pawn coming back did change things

But on the other hand I can see where they were coming from for a couple of reasons

1) EDG still managed to beat WE in game 1 and 2 without pawn, and especially in match 2 it was a handy victory; game 3 they pick Galio mid for some reason, let spirit get Nid and everything blows up. Game 4 was weird and the whole thing was reversed vary fast after baron. So after winning 2 games it seems like they spoiled themselves a bit - perhaps its psychological?

2) Pawn doesn't seem like the direct deciding factor in game 5 IMO; I mean, he played a good Kass for someone who was sick and coming in on short notice but to me Clearlove and Koro1 were the ones who took control of the game. And they just picked better.

It might be an intangible thing or it might be a communication thing; or something about 'lets win this for our sick star' and everyone getting in gear. Or maybe as mentioned above Clearlove plays differently around U and the style didn't work as swell as the classic EDG. That, and teamfighitng with a different mid and a more passive style probably takes some adjustment.

Personally I think that yeah, PawNs return did a lot psychologically/compositionally to get the team working again but I think the narrative that he came and 1v5ed WE or something, while tempting, is kinda off.

Bonus content: Team Fusion picks up Bubbadub as another Analyst, as if they didn't have enough already. Still, good to see them giving him work - he was a good guy

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

So, did the Alpha Draft Challenger League just slip under this thread's radar, or what? Misfits (Alex Ich's team) just beat Cloud9 Tempest quite convincingly (18-4)

• Locked thread