Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PupsOfWar posted:

With dogs, and the knife.

I know, it's not even a hard question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

zoux posted:

Mars Squid.

Wait yeah whats that about liquid brine on Mars?! Like, historical traces or did they find honest to god water based liquid on the surface soaked into the soil now? Because that would be huge, between this and that likely geyser they spotted a few years back things are looking real good for at least isolated water deposits there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Looks like Obama wasn't the only Definer of Civilization's Rules touring Panama this week.

That may be the worst wearing of a hard hat that I've ever seen.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

withak posted:

That may be the worst wearing of a hard hat that I've ever seen.

Seen on left show off the logo, seen on right: Dont gently caress up the hair skull protection is secondary.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

Looks like Obama wasn't the only Definer of Civilization's Rules touring Panama this week.

Jackets look MS-painted for some reason

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Quidam Viator posted:

No, I left last time when someone asked me to, out of courtesy. I did formally post a toxx if anyone can convince me of a better way to undo the total dominance of the American Right in a better way than accelerationism, but nobody's taken me up on that one.

Would you like me to leave again?

Yes please. Your posts are insane, long narcissistic garbage founded on a dumb principle (accelerationism), which is something that well off white people tell themselves will totally work because, uh, um

I look forward to your 15000 word post in response to this.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “I can’t believe I missed ‘Game of Thrones’ for this.” ~ a Democrat who was on the Hillary campaign conference call, 9:30pm Sunday.

To be fair, most political conference calls are pretty dumb. The majority of them could be summed up in two paragraphs and maybe a couple slides that you could just shove in an email, but everyone feels the need to speak about slowly so they can circle-jerk each other off.

lapse posted:

Jackets look MS-painted for some reason

Can't un-see.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zelder posted:

Yes please. Your posts are insane, long narcissistic garbage founded on a dumb principle (accelerationism), which is something that well off white people tell themselves will totally work because, uh, um

I look forward to your 15000 word post in response to this.
I'd like to second this, in case you're serious about leaving when people ask. Literally, we are better off not having to scroll past you, because you provide no meaningful content beyond the first of your posts. It's all repetition and bullshit.

(MIGF is the same way but he won't leave)

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Very well, I'm off again then. It doesn't hurt to be polite.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I don't know why people think organizing would work in many parts of the country. Most people would probably be cool with reforms to help poor people as long as they are white, but the moment they realize it will help black people too they're going to balk and go back to a more conservative position. It's been that way for hundreds of years and it's not going to change. The whole "gently caress you got mine" thing cascades down no matter what tax bracket you're in. It's no different than wealthy southerners telling white trash "You may have nothing but the clothes on your back, but at least you aren't black" and having people cling to that. The only way I can see it working is in areas of the rust belt where people have been hosed over for two or more generations and the population is generally homogenous.

That being said, there's no reason people cannot organize for different or better candidates. If a bunch of loonies in Richmond can unseat Cantor with Dave Brat, that shows how powerful of a force it can be. Money wasn't a factor there. Cantor outspent him by a large margin. I just think that organizing for a candidate rather than a cause is a very different thing if you are going for one rather than the other. I was just thinking about all this the other day while driving back up from the southside in Richmond, and I could be 100% wrong though.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Accelerationism is premised on encouraging the GOP to be so openly spiteful and horrible that they completely alienate the American voting public; thus there is no sounder strategy for an accelerationist than supporting Hillary Clinton because the GOP will throw every nasty bit of misogyny and vitriol they have at her up to the point of ripping of their own dicks to have one last thing to fling.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CheesyDog posted:

Accelerationism is premised on encouraging the GOP to be so openly spiteful and horrible that they completely alienate the American voting public; thus there is no sounder strategy for an accelerationist than supporting Hillary Clinton because the GOP will throw every nasty bit of misogyny and vitriol they have at her up to the point of ripping of their own dicks to have one last thing to fling.

Men are only 47% of the electorate (there's that number again!) so I am all in favor of some rank misogyny driving a few percentage points' worth of women to the Democratic total.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

CheesyDog posted:

Or they'll just let the left devolve into a pragmatism versus idealism civil war and laugh gleefully as they watch, as the left has been doing these past few years while the tea partiers and RINOs duke it out.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Amergin posted:

Or they'll just let the left devolve into a pragmatism versus idealism civil war and laugh gleefully as they watch, as the left has been doing these past few years while the tea partiers and RINOs duke it out.

Part b precludes option a. The GOP is not sitting back and laughing at anyone, they are observing their own internal rifts with abject horror, the quibbles on the left are not even on their radar at the moment.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

Amergin posted:

past few years

Oh, I think we've been gnawing at our own limbs far longer than that. At least since the 19th century, give or take.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure the only thing holding each party together is wanting to see the other implode first.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While he's an obnoxious chicken little, I get why QV is so hysterical about the state of American politics, because I can't really see a way the status quo evolves back into a workable system without some sort of catastrophe. Between the nature of campaigning for national office and the way that political communications are done and the polarization of the electorate, I don't know how we get to a point where governing is possible.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

At this point I'm pretty sure the only thing holding each party together is wanting to see the other implode first.

The democrats are united by a common cause, the Republicans are united by a common hatred. This makes the Republicans more robust in the sense that hate is really hard to get rid of, flimsy as gently caress in the sense the minute they start finding things to hate in each other everything implodes.

zoux posted:

While he's an obnoxious chicken little, I get why QV is so hysterical about the state of American politics, because I can't really see a way the status quo evolves back into a workable system without some sort of catastrophe. Between the nature of campaigning for national office and the way that political communications are done and the polarization of the electorate, I don't know how we get to a point where governing is possible.

The people who think QV makes good points are just as insufferable and dense as he is HTH

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think he makes any good points at all but I understand the impulse to run around like your hair's on fire if you haven't cultivated an impenetrable shell of cynicism around you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Venom Snake posted:

The people who think QV makes good points are just as insufferable and dense as he is HTH

:eyepop: drat!!!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

The democrats are united by a common cause, the Republicans are united by a common hatred. This makes the Republicans more robust in the sense that hate is really hard to get rid of, flimsy as gently caress in the sense the minute they start finding things to hate in each other everything implodes.

Republicans are united by a common hatred? :allears:

Republicans are united by a desire for efficiency, autonomy and morality. Democrats are united by the same thing, they just see different paths to those end goals.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Wait yeah whats that about liquid brine on Mars?! Like, historical traces or did they find honest to god water based liquid on the surface soaked into the soil now? Because that would be huge, between this and that likely geyser they spotted a few years back things are looking real good for at least isolated water deposits there.

They found that, at least the soil where Curiosity landed, contains ~35l/m3 so you could just throw it in an oven and bake out all the water you could want. Can't grow anything in it until you remove the phthalates, though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

zoux posted:

Electing a white guy again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zelder posted:

Electing a white guy again?

Sure, but where are we going to find a white guy?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Markup on the Iran agreement bill in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee will be at 2:15 today. Senator Corker says they have a bipartisan agreement on moving the bill.

I can't believe there are Democrats that are actually going along with this farce. "Yeah, let's cave to the Republicans on foreign policy, when has that ever backfired horribly for us?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

Republicans are united by a desire for efficiency, autonomy and morality. Democrats are united by the same thing, they just see different paths to those end goals.

Honestly at this point there both 'united' by a hatred of the other. If the one splintered, progressives/tea partiers would split off from the third wayers/establishment pretty quick imo.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

Not really, Goldwater Republicans are gone. They've been replaced by idiots who will shout the loudest about Obama during the primaries.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Accelerationism actually makes a ton of sense once you stop seeing people who disagree with you politically as human beings and instead see them as brainwashed zombies who don't deserve to live a full and healthy life

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"Man dies in Saigon street in an apparent religious message."

We cannot grant legitimacy to domestic terrorism and politically motivated suicides by giving this man a venue for his beliefs. Better to just brush it aside to maintain the status quo. It's simply the most prudent and safest action for all involved.

Did he even use an American made gun to off himself?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_Nhu#Buddhist_crisis second paragraph

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

No, (and yes I know I'm replying to Amergin), Republicans want to get rid of things they hate. Democrats want to get more things. The thing is Democrats don't always get what they want so they remain united, with Republicans they just move on to new things to hated so they remain united.

The tricky thing is when your party is based on hate, when you start finding things to hate internally poo poo goes south fast. The Republican clown car is the perfect evidence of this.

DaveWoo posted:

I can't believe there are Democrats that are actually going along with this farce. "Yeah, let's cave to the Republicans on foreign policy, when has that ever backfired horribly for us?"

They are doing it to embarrass the Republicans.

zoux posted:

I don't think he makes any good points at all but I understand the impulse to run around like your hair's on fire if you haven't cultivated an impenetrable shell of cynicism around you.

zoux posted:

I get why QV is so hysterical about the state of American politics, because I can't really see a way the status quo evolves back into a workable system without some sort of catastrophe. Between the nature of campaigning for national office and the way that political communications are done and the polarization of the electorate, I don't know how we get to a point where governing is possible.

You took him seriously, that is enough to show you are just as insane/crazy as he is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, that follows.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Venom Snake you're deliberately misinterpreting Zoux's posts, and Lord knows we don't need anymore of that. He understands where QV's bullshit stems from, he didn't take it seriously or agree with any of it

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DaveWoo posted:

At least 108 Democrats attended Bibi's speech. And we have a new face of the Democratic Party in the Senate anyway, now that Reid's a lame duck.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of foreign policy

quote:

In 2012, Republicans unanimously made a vow. If their party captured the White House, they would repeal President Obama's signature achievement, the Affordable Care Act.

In 2016, they've added something else: the reversal of Obama's signature foreign policy achievements, his outreach to hostile nations.

In his second term, Obama has been working to restore diplomatic relations with Cuba for the first time in more than half a century. His administration has also been negotiating a deal to limit Iran's nuclear program.

A number of GOP presidential contenders have vowed a U-turn on both policies, no matter what may happen between now and the next Inauguration Day.

That's why Obama's foreign policy may shape up to be the Obamacare of 2016. Republicans pledge to erase the president's acts as soon as a Republican is again sitting behind the Oval Office desk.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is among those calling for a reversal. Rubio spoke with NPR on Monday, the day he announced his presidential campaign. Rubio, who is Cuban-American, made the announcement at Miami's Freedom Tower, where Cuban exiles fleeing Fidel Castro's regime once came to receive federal support. Rubio is a fierce critic of Cuba's government and of warming U.S. relations with it.

Would Rubio really re-break diplomatic relations with Cuba if elected?

"Absolutely," he says. He says he wants "free and fair elections" in Cuba and that U.S. policy can provide "major leverage."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/04/14/399435501/republicans-are-making-foreign-policy-the-obamacare-of-the-2016-election

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

No, (and yes I know I'm replying to Amergin), Republicans want to get rid of things they hate. Democrats want to get more things. The thing is Democrats don't always get what they want so they remain united, with Republicans they just move on to new things to hated so they remain united.

The tricky thing is when your party is based on hate, when you start finding things to hate internally poo poo goes south fast. The Republican clown car is the perfect evidence of this.

You still keep using this word "hate" as though it's just an agreed-upon and accepted fact. Republicans don't just want to get rid of things, and the things they want to get rid of tend to be things they think are unconstitutional rather than they simply "hate" it.

It's easy to belittle a large group of people if in your mind you boil their complex thought processes to "Oh you just hate X" probably followed-up in your pretentious mind with "... because you're too ignorant to see why X is good."

Progressivism is constantly trying to throw things at problems, usually money. Conservatism is thinking twice before you throw those things and trying to find out exactly who is throwing what for how much cost and at whom. There's no hate involved other than what you dream up to help you validate your own political convictions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but very few, if any, national Republicans fit that definition of conservatism.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

For a party that distanced itself pretty swiftly from W they really seem to want a return to those days.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

Progressivism is constantly trying to throw things at problems, usually money. Conservatism is thinking twice before you throw those things and trying to find out exactly who is throwing what for how much cost and at whom.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Accelerationism isn't going to help because things aren't going to get better after a catastrophe, they're just going to settle back into a worse status quo. History shows people can put up with far worse circumstances than they're in now, and will only make things better over the long term. And even if there is a response against the catastrophe, that's no guarantee that things will get better. Revolutions get crushed, or co-opted, or cut off from the rest of the world far more often than they succeed, for the same reasons the current horrible situations they're caused by happen in the first place. Accelerationism just speeds up a train that's going to crash either way, and is more likely to make the post-catastrophe situation worse than it is to improve it. People have already posted on this page that they agree we're headed for disaster, and they're right. But they're also right when they say accelerationism is spiteful and pointless. So instead of going full steam ahead, they're trying to slow the metaphorical train down so it won't crash as quickly. There's only so much time left before things go to poo poo, so why try to shorten it? Let people be happy a bit longer while they can.

But that's not to say everyone is completely doomed. Humans are loving resilient, and we'll cling to life even as the environment goes to hell. We've survived mass extinctions and environmental collapses back before we could even write, and there's no reason to think we're any less durable now. We have scientific and cultural knowledge our ancestors couldn't even dream of, and that knowledge isn't going to just vanish overnight. Climate change is going to make things horrible, and people will absolutely suffer, but we'll survive. Humanity will get through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

Would Rubio really re-break diplomatic relations with Cuba if elected?

"Absolutely," he says. He says he wants "free and fair elections" in Cuba and that U.S. policy can provide "major leverage."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2015/04/14/399435501/republicans-are-making-foreign-policy-the-obamacare-of-the-2016-election

I know because we were almost there and Obama had to come in and gently caress it all up. Just a few more years of US pressure and Cuba would've cracked!

• Locked thread