Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Largepotato posted:

You should be able to slander them so they get demoted.

It's what I do whenever the ruler promotes a generic.

I think you can only slander as a vagabond unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

I think you can only slander as a vagabond unit.
I think you can also do it if there's an officer with slander in your kingdom?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lurksion posted:

I think you can also do it if there's an officer with slander in your kingdom?

Yep, or you can unlock the option to have all viable tactics on in the bonus screen of a new game+.

Warning if it matters to you: Slander is super bad for your virtue. Right up there with pillage. Not really a concern unless you're trying to avoid negative virtue titles.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm looking to grab something mindless to play while I work out, and am trying to decide between DW8:E and SW4, any suggestions there? Mostly after whatever gives me the best sandbox to make pretty anime princesses or horrific freaks of nature in CAW and level up/get loot and hopefully be challenged at least a little.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Never played a SW game but 8E definitely has you covered in that department.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You're good with either one. DW8E is more open-ended, while SW4 lets you use your custom characters in the story battles which might be more interesting than empire's battles. If you want strategy oriented management (building up your rep, maintaining your kingdom/army, etc), then go with empires, otherwise go with SW4 if you just want to kill dudes and get money.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I've never actually played a Dynasty Warriors style game before, like, ever. But I've gotten curious about trying this because it seems like a lot of fun, so what would be a good game to get into this with? I initially got intrigued when I was watching my friend play DW7:E, so I think I wanna play something on the Empires side of things, but would 8: Empires be a good starting point or are there going to be problems with it that would make a different game a better starting point? I know the OP said to start with 7, but 7 doesn't seem to have gotten any sort of PC release which makes playing it a little trickier for me. (Although not completely impossible, since I could always mooch off of my friend and play 7:E still.)

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I've never actually played a Dynasty Warriors style game before, like, ever. But I've gotten curious about trying this because it seems like a lot of fun, so what would be a good game to get into this with? I initially got intrigued when I was watching my friend play DW7:E, so I think I wanna play something on the Empires side of things, but would 8: Empires be a good starting point or are there going to be problems with it that would make a different game a better starting point? I know the OP said to start with 7, but 7 doesn't seem to have gotten any sort of PC release which makes playing it a little trickier for me. (Although not completely impossible, since I could always mooch off of my friend and play 7:E still.)

If 7 isn't an option for you, 8 is still very good. It doesn't do the storytelling as well, but the gameplay is, if anything, better. If you want to start with Empires instead, 8E is perfectly good, but I can't compare it to 7E since I haven't played it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Silvergun1000 posted:

I'm looking to grab something mindless to play while I work out, and am trying to decide between DW8:E and SW4, any suggestions there? Mostly after whatever gives me the best sandbox to make pretty anime princesses or horrific freaks of nature in CAW and level up/get loot and hopefully be challenged at least a little.

Why not combine the two and get Warriors Orochi 3? You can't make a CAW but you can make a team of guys, which is really about as much customization as you get in the CAW anyway.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Why not combine the two and get Warriors Orochi 3? You can't make a CAW but you can make a team of guys, which is really about as much customization as you get in the CAW anyway.

Orochi is a lot harder than the main series though. It might not be what they're looking for in terms of "mindless."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also it's not very helpful if you don't know who everyone is.
Being harder than the main series still doesn't make it particularly difficult though, you just have to be a bit more careful around certain characters.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

On the other hand, I've barely touched the SW series, and I had no problems. Picking the biggest available badass at any given moment is never a bad way to play. It does make the non-Musou characters feel like more of a novelty than anything, though that may just be me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I didn't know where to post this but it looks like after 6 years Nobunaga's Ambition might be returning to the West with Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. "Creation" is the only Nobunaga's Ambition on PS4 so I assume that SoI is the localized title of that. I guess someone convinced KT USA that maybe 50,000 people would buy it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Orochi is a lot harder than the main series though. It might not be what they're looking for in terms of "mindless."

My memory of Orochi is hitting R1 as Jean D'arc and watching everything die around me forever.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I wish we'd gotten Orochi Z over here, because I'd love to play the originals in full HD with all the extras, as opposed to getting the 360 versions and the PSP version of Orochi 2 together for the full experience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Also it's not very helpful if you don't know who everyone is.

It is especially hilarious if you are a historian though! :hist101:

Though to be fair, the Dynasty Warriors series itself has gone pretty far off the historical rails after they introduced magic in DW3.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Rutibex posted:

It is especially hilarious if you are a historian though! :hist101:

Though to be fair, the Dynasty Warriors series itself has gone pretty far off the historical rails after they introduced magic in DW3.

To be fair, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms book also features the odd bit of magic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Enallyniv posted:

To be fair, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms book also features the odd bit of magic.

That's not surprising, actual Chinese history turns into mythology if you go back far enough; they don't make any kind of distinction between the real and the made up stuff like we do with the Greeks. It would be as if we included Hercules as a real historical person, and considered Homers Illiad to be an accurate account of ancient politics and warfare.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Not seeing much chatter on Bladestorm Nightmare. Is it a dud?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's an early PS3/360 game with a new campaign, a nicer lighting model and some extra bits. It's not bad, but it's not worth full price, especially when K-T games tend to go on sale very quickly.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

victrix posted:

Not seeing much chatter on Bladestorm Nightmare. Is it a dud?

There is a demo for it, it's mostly a tutorial but since it's a mission where the days aren't limited you can capture the entire map before capping the objective towns. I like the game but I also liked the first one that a lot of people thought was hot garbage.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I like Bladestorm but it started to get a little busy when I unlocked the ability to have two people but all of their progression and equipment are totally separate.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DQ Heroes gets a subtitle for the overseas release.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Policenaut posted:

That rhyming subtitle gives me hope that it's translated by the same team that did DQIX. Because that translation was incredible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

My memory of Orochi is hitting R1 as Jean D'arc and watching everything die around me forever.

My memory of Orochi is realizing that using R1 with speed-type officers kills top-tier guys like Lu Bu and Tadakatsu Honda in a single hit on Chaos difficulty. Well, technically 500 hits, but that's just because that's how many times their R1 attack hits in half a second :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

lets hang out posted:

I like Bladestorm but it started to get a little busy when I unlocked the ability to have two people but all of their progression and equipment are totally separate.

The station stuff is so overpowered that this quickly becomes a non-issue.

Also if you haven't realized it skill points from stationing are pooled so you can spend them on whoever you want.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So is Bladestorm good, or is it basically just a re-release of the original with some tacked on fantasy mode in it?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Hakkesshu posted:

So is Bladestorm good, or is it basically just a re-release of the original with some tacked on fantasy mode in it?

It would be the latter mostly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The old campaign has had a lot of retooling with the new features like multiple playable commanders and some balancing but it's still very much the same game.

The fantasy campaigns also not that tacked on as its pretty drat long with its own unique content.

Still yeah not worth full price.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Eeeeeeeeee, I'm so excited! :swoon:

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
There's a smattering of Warriors games in the new psn flash sale. Glad I held off on Orochi 3 since I was able to pick it up for half off!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Suicide Pacmen posted:

There's a smattering of Warriors games in the new psn flash sale. Glad I held off on Orochi 3 since I was able to pick it up for half off!

:eyepop:
Thank you for posting this! I was holding off on Orochi 3 Ultimate because of the price too, but now it 50% off! If I had missed this I would have kicked my own rear end

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I just dropped ten bucks on W:O1 on PSN not realizing it was a PS2 classic since I got the code via Amazon... and I already have the disc. :saddowns:

Since I'm apparently frigging collecting this game now, is there any appreciable difference in the 360 version or should I just suck it up and play what I bought?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I just bought warriors orochi on my PS4 having never played a Samurai Warriors game before. Hope I don't need some knowledge of that series to enjoy this one.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If only the DLC was also discounted. :(

But whatever, I finally get to check out the new Samurai Warriors.

E: And by finally I mean after it takes 10 hours to download and probably another hour to install.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 19, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
DW7: Empire is also on sale for a very reasonable price. What is the improvement between it and DW8: Empires? Is it worth picking up?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dewgy posted:

So I just dropped ten bucks on W:O1 on PSN not realizing it was a PS2 classic since I got the code via Amazon... and I already have the disc. :saddowns:

Since I'm apparently frigging collecting this game now, is there any appreciable difference in the 360 version or should I just suck it up and play what I bought?

The 360 version looks a bit shinier but it's the same game just in HD. Those early PS2 -> 360 ports were as low effort as you'd expect.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

littleorv posted:

I just bought warriors orochi on my PS4 having never played a Samurai Warriors game before. Hope I don't need some knowledge of that series to enjoy this one.

Kill guys that are not on your team. Rinse, repeat.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

Kill guys that are not on your team. Rinse, repeat.

I've played Dynasty Warriors 8 before but yeah you're right this isn't the type of game I need to pay close attention to enjoy. It's all Japanese VA right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sakurazuka posted:

The 360 version looks a bit shinier but it's the same game just in HD. Those early PS2 -> 360 ports were as low effort as you'd expect.

I got a big-rear end TV so HD is tempting, but that's good to know. Thanks! Maybe I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap copy somewhere if I get into the classics version.