Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, but North Africa is all about that DAK (and Italians). Though I don't think there are Panthers in North Africa.

There were never any Panthers in Africa despite what Airfix box art will tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah that's really dumb.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am a dummy and meant to post this here, not the thread that expressly says no historicals.

No! Why? Why did they do it?

Zombies are so over, why would they do this? It's not like I can't find half a dozen other model companies to supply me with models for this already, and why would want fantasy crap like this in my historical game? (OK pseudo-historical, but the point stands.)

What's next, Cthulhu?

E: Yes they are White Walkers, but I still don't care.

The rules do sort of lend themselves to zombies pretty well (and Cthulhu cultists, so actually that'd be a great thing too).

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Eastern Front is all the mid war German Armor lists, including minor axis powers armor.

Aight, thanks. Now, is an armored panzergrenadier company even worth running?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am a dummy and meant to post this here, not the thread that expressly says no historicals.

No! Why? Why did they do it?

Zombies are so over, why would they do this? It's not like I can't find half a dozen other model companies to supply me with models for this already, and why would want fantasy crap like this in my historical game? (OK pseudo-historical, but the point stands.)

What's next, Cthulhu?

I just assumed it was an April Fools when someone told me about this the other day. Now I don't know what to believe.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was wondering why it was over there :v:

Yeah it's clearly a Game of Thrones cashgrab with not-Wights, the rest of SAGA can already cover any Westerosi army you want and a couple from Essos

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or maybe they just realised that non-historicals people kind of might buy into their system more if they already have armies for it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arquinsiel posted:

Or maybe they just realised that non-historicals people kind of might buy into their system more if they already have armies for it?

Yeah, I'm just worried they will spoil what they already have by expanding too far outside their current game mechanics. I will need to see the Zombie Battle Boards before I can form an informed opinion. My gut reaction is negative though.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, I'm just worried they will spoil what they already have by expanding too far outside their current game mechanics. I will need to see the Zombie Battle Boards before I can form an informed opinion. My gut reaction is just negative though.
I dunno how bad it could get. I played with a Rus list the only time I played Saga and they basically had magic on their board anyway.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arquinsiel posted:

I dunno how bad it could get. I played with a Rus list the only time I played Saga and they basically had magic on their board anyway.

I have to admit I don't really like the Rus as a faction, but what can you do?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have to admit I don't really like the Rus as a faction, but what can you do?
There was some ability that allowed you to use fatigue to remove dudes from the enemy's units anywhere on the board, and I was basically using it like AOE magic attacks. You can also just make it snow whenever and slow down movement and shooting. It's at least a year since I played it though, so I might be misremembering.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
It's historically accurate, because snow really exists.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's historically accurate, because snow really exists.

I'm Australian and I dispute this :airquote:fact:airquote:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Abstracting snow as a mechanic is actually good way to handle it, given that SAGA dice don't necessarily equate to a particular decision made by the commander. Facing the Rus means eating snow drifts that they don't even blink at.

Another upside of the zombie thing is that I've already got enough zombies that it's basically a free army (assuming they don't charge for the rules download.) I'd prefer to see SAGA: Fantasy become its own thing, but dipping their toes into skirmish Skyrim / Game of Thrones is probably going to help more than it hurts..

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

I'm Australian and I dispute this :airquote:fact:airquote:

Sure. The Rus have never had a reason to direct it onto your shores. They have to solve that whole Kuril islands thing before they consider looking further south.

Pray your wallabies, koalas, and kangamaloos never have to face the terrifying adversary of a Russian army, armed with a Russian Winter.

It'd be Chekov, Mate.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Thread needs some more homegrown, so here's a Black Powder dump.

I'm adding some new models to my Continental/Allied AWI army as I take it from a Muskets and Tomahawks force towards a Black Powder army.

Lauzun's Legion

Virginia Line

Continental Light Infantry

British Officer for my buddy and some wounded markers

All the minis are Perry, all plastic except for the Legion.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Those are great. If you ever get some pics of a big setup, you should post them here. I'll bet it looks bad rear end.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Where do I get cheap-ish soviet 15mm soldiers in winter uniform? PSC only seems to do the summer uniform, and Stalingrad was a pretty loving cold place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You use the PSC guys and tell them they're lucky to even have a gun each?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You use the PSC guys and tell them they're lucky to even have a gun each?

but muh Guards Rifle Division :negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
FoW infantry aren't actually that expensive, and you get everything you need. TBH just google "15mm Winter Soviet" and see what it gets you, there will be loads of people making them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do I get cheap-ish soviet 15mm soldiers in winter uniform? PSC only seems to do the summer uniform, and Stalingrad was a pretty loving cold place.

Peter Pig?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Anyone have an opinion on Perry miniatures? I've been mainly working with 1/72 and stumbled upon their website today. Man, I'm seriously considering switching to 28mm based on these.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Games Workshop basically built their empire on Perry sculpts. You can do a lot worse, but not much better in 28mm.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Any recommendations for plastic medieval 28mm historicals that would mirror or at least compare to Perry in quality? Perry is great but their cavalry selection is pretty limited.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Perry miniatures? I've been mainly working with 1/72 and stumbled upon their website today. Man, I'm seriously considering switching to 28mm based on these.

Anyone who doesn't love Perry Minis should be castrated with rusty modeling knives.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah the Perrys are seriously the hobby's gold standard. Great quality, good prices.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Any recommendations for plastic medieval 28mm historicals that would mirror or at least compare to Perry in quality? Perry is great but their cavalry selection is pretty limited.

Fireforge Games makes some really nice stuff if you're looking for Crusaders. I believe Gripping Beast has some plastic cavalry coming out too, but they'll also be Crusades (Arabs and Europeans). Gamers love crusading, I guess.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'd like to get a mix of medieval troop types - "peasant" spearmen all the way up to armored knights. Fireforge has some pretty cool vikings I may get as well, thanks for the recommend.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I'm going to be listing some of my painted warlord ww2 28s on eBay, would it be kosher to link that here? Or is that for the SA mart only?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Safest is probably posting on SA Mart and then linking that thread here. Possibly. I dunno how SA Mart works TBH.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Those are great. If you ever get some pics of a big setup, you should post them here. I'll bet it looks bad rear end.

http://imgur.com/a/s4AW7

Here's our first game of AWI Black Powder!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Those Native American figs are loving awesome.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It annoys my sperg mindset to no end that Battlefront hasn't made an M4A1 Sherman variant in plastic for Normandy US companies. The difference is big enough to be noticeable, with the rounded hulls of the earlier variants combared to the straight front glacis plate of the A2 and A3's. They've even included a Panther/Jagdpanther hull option in the German kit, why couldn't they have done that for the yanks too? I know PSC has a kit but I prefer BF's plastic kits where they are available.

Thanks for lettingnke get my Sherman rant off my chest guys. I knew you'd understand. :spergin:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My club's work on a CoC campaign system is having great progress lately. I'm busy making roster cards for platoons and support options, and there's a whole system of platoon creating, support option pools and multiple tracks where you have to semi-secretly juggle the resources so that you can bluff your opponent. If it turns out well (it's based on what we learned from our first campaign), I'd love to share if there's interest.

And gently caress Shermans, we're sticking to Barbarossa with this Campaign as well. :black101:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Throbbing blob posted:

It annoys my sperg mindset to no end that Battlefront hasn't made an M4A1 Sherman variant in plastic for Normandy US companies. The difference is big enough to be noticeable, with the rounded hulls of the earlier variants combared to the straight front glacis plate of the A2 and A3's. They've even included a Panther/Jagdpanther hull option in the German kit, why couldn't they have done that for the yanks too? I know PSC has a kit but I prefer BF's plastic kits where they are available.

Thanks for lettingnke get my Sherman rant off my chest guys. I knew you'd understand. :spergin:

Simple: the answer is money. This is why everyone makes fifteen Tigers and dumb poo poo like E-100s but god forbid someone make an MS-1 or a T-50, because the German obsessed crowd will pay big bucks for anything with a Balkenkreuz.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Throbbing blob posted:

They seem to release plastic kits to correspond with new books, so it may already be in the pipeline. If I had to guess, they're probably creating a kit with the original hull and the later versions with applique armor, and are waiting for whenever they release a new version of North Africa to come out with it. Which means in that case it wouldn't be released for another year, if not more. Battlefront! :argh:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I would just think they'd be able to make a killing off M4A1's. In my area, D-Day seems to be the most popular theatre to play, so that's why I'm puzzled.

I'm a bit sceptical about them releasing big new things for WW2 next year. They'll probably have their hands full with Cold War. My friend who used to manage my FLGS said they were planning to make Cold War a pretty thorough release, hoping to make it at least as big as WW2 FoW. How much of that is PR hype I don't know, we'll see. I'll probably just pick up some M4A3's instead and deal with it.

Also, my group is planning to start up some Barbarossa too. Gonna be FoW though, but I'm looking forward to painting hordes of lovely lovely tanks.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Throbbing blob posted:

I would just think they'd be able to make a killing off M4A1's. In my area, D-Day seems to be the most popular theatre to play, so that's why I'm puzzled.

I'm a bit sceptical about them releasing big new things for WW2 next year. They'll probably have their hands full with Cold War. My friend who used to manage my FLGS said they were planning to make Cold War a pretty thorough release, hoping to make it at least as big as WW2 FoW. How much of that is PR hype I don't know, we'll see. I'll probably just pick up some M4A3's instead and deal with it.

Also, my group is planning to start up some Barbarossa too. Gonna be FoW though, but I'm looking forward to painting hordes of lovely lovely tanks.

They've (Battlefront) always said they would shift to the Pacific/Eastern Theater when they finish Europe. So we might start to see that trickle out. And Cold War sounds great, too. There's only so much WWII you can do before you start parsing the individual battles.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

So anyone play Sails of Glory? I was thinking about picking up the starter but I haven't really heard anything about the game at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So how ostracized would one get if he showed up to an FoW game with a Pink Panzer Division or Hello Mien Kitty, or maybe a Russian Red Tide?

Both for pick up and serious play... There is an inherent appeal to harvesting immersion tears but it's more about pulling off a ridiculous theme. And getting into a game that's more about playing and less about power gaming. I am assuming that the very nature of historical settings leads to less aggregate power creep... is that naive?