Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Where are you seeing the $200 GC? Do other televisions qualify?

E: Contacted Dell Support. Here is the link to the televisions with deals: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=tv-deals&~ck=mn

Oh, I guess they ditched the $200 card on the 65" model as of yesterday. I snagged one and had it go through.

Always a good idea to keep an eye on those, some are incredibly good deals if you're prepared to spend or eBay the promo codes, some not so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Don Lapre posted:

Vizio p series is better. sub 20ms

Oh nice, thanks, that 65" is sexy.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I've narrowed down to the Samsung UN60H6350 versus the Sony W850B. The Samsung is $200 cheaper and reviews say it's a pretty stellar unit. I don't really care about Sony's quicker input time. Should I roll with the Samsung for the 60"?

Also, I've considered 4k but it seems like there's way more in store for it on the horizon. I can't justify the price. The P series is reasonable @ $1500 though.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 1, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any reviews on the new 2015 Vizio sets?

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

VibrioCholera posted:

I've narrowed down to the Samsung UN60H6350 versus the Sony W850B. The Samsung is $200 cheaper and reviews say it's a pretty stellar unit. I don't really care about Sony's quicker input time. Should I roll with the Samsung for the 60"?

Also, I've considered 4k but it seems like there's way more in store for it on the horizon. I can't justify the price. The P series is reasonable @ $1500 though.

I was in the exact same boat and went with the Samsung 55". Whatever source material they had playing on the W850B at Best Buy didn't exactly show off its strengths, and I loving hate being badgered by salesmen who try to sell me on things that they explain as if they overheard other people talking about it, so I ducked out and went with the (much) cheaper Samsung 6300 at Costco (supposedly the same as 6350 but Costco exclusive) for $750 (again the 55"). I had a 6150 and was very happy with that until the power supply blew so I figured the newer version would be just as good. When I got it home though I was disappointed to find the edge lighting is obvious at the bottom and each corner is somewhat dim. It's still a decent TV for $750 but I'd bet the Sony offers a more consistent picture.

also gently caress a 4K for now

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 1, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Okay, I'm moving and need recommendations for a new television set. I need to pitch this to my significant other, so I'd like some options. Accordingly, give me your best recommendations for the following:

1. ~50 inch, under $700;

2. ~50 inch, under $1100;

3. ~60 inch, under $700;

4. ~60 inch, under $1100.

Will mostly be used for watching movies and playing PS4 games, FYI.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

1redflag posted:

Okay, I'm moving and need recommendations for a new television set. I need to pitch this to my significant other, so I'd like some options. Accordingly, give me your best recommendations for the following:

1. ~50 inch, under $700;

2. ~50 inch, under $1100;

3. ~60 inch, under $700;

4. ~60 inch, under $1100.

Will mostly be used for watching movies and playing PS4 games, FYI.

From the research I've done and what I've bought:

For a 60" under $700 you're going to find a lot of budget models. The Vizio E-series gets great reviews right at that first price point.

For under $1100 you're probably looking at the Samsung 6350 for a 60" TV that hits that $999 price with $100 to spare. Next up would be either the Samsung 7150 or Sony W850B. Both are awesome. The 7150 has a gloss screen, sony semi-gloss. Response times are quicker on the Sony but I don't think you'll ever notice it unless you make a living YouTube streaming headshots on Halo 2. The Sony does have an awkward Wedge shape which could play a part in your decision. Both these come in @ $1200 so right out of the spot you'd like to be.

I'm sure others can give their recommendations for the 60" category. I used rtings.com to make my final decision along with advice from these boards. I have zero idea of what's good @ 50". There seems to be a crapload of great televisions in the 55" bracket though.

My own question: Good wall mount I can pick up off Amazon for my 60"?

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

VibrioCholera posted:

My own question: Good wall mount I can pick up off Amazon for my 60"?

All brands / variants look similar, so I'm willing to bet they're all made by the same impoverished Chinese children. Meaning just get one that fulfills your needs and don't worry too much about its quality. From a design standpoint (from what I've seen) and for weight considerations I wouldn't put much faith in swing-arm type setup, though. I got whatever tilting mount that Home Depot had and it works great and looks the same as the cheaper ones online.

As long as you're smart enough to find a pair of studs to mount it to then pretty much anything rated for your tv's size and weight will do.

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 3, 2015

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I have a brief tech question which I think goes here (please point me to the correct thread if this goes elsewhere). I have a cheap rear end Westinghouse LED TV that I think might be dying. If it's dying then I can rationalize buying a NOT cheapass TV but if it's something else then I should fix that something else. Here are the symptoms;

1) Turn it on at 8:30pm (kids in bed, dinner eaten), pull up Roku (Roku 3, HDMI, hard wired to the router, DSL to internet), pull up NetFlix and watch for 5 or 6 minutes and start getting a "signal not found" message.
2) Flip to DVD, no problem
3) Flip to antenna, no problem
4) Unplug the whole goddamn thing and start again but this time go straight to Plex on the same connection but Plex is running on my server, not DSL, "signal not found".
5) Go to computer and pull up TF2 and my ping times are what I expect, no lagging.

I thought it was the DSL getting overwhelmed at that time in the evening. This is an old neighborhood and the MAX speed I can pay for is 1.5 down. 1950's copper wire does that as far as Denver knows and no upgrades possible.... but we've gotten the same error at different times of the day and the same error while watching Plex makes me think that either the Roku is dying or the TV is dying. How would you diagnose that? Any help is enormously appreciated. I just want to watch Walking Dead, okay world?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

"signal not found" in this situation probably refers to an HDMI signal. So the problem is either the source of the signal (the Roku, as I understand your description), or the HDMI cable, or that input on the set.

To diagnose:
Try a different input source through the same cable, try a different cable, try a different input if you have more than one HDMI input.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks, I'll do those things. 2 HDMI inputs and I probably have an HDMI output cable for my tablet.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
What's the best widi wireless hdmi device these days? I need to travel ~15ft, so I'm looking for uncompressed widi rather than that other compressed lower band tech.

I'm looking to connect my PC to my TV, play some steam games and use xbmc and netflix via the PC. I've got a 3.1 setup and with an old non-hdmi receiver that I may need to replace as well (since optical out passthrough may/may not work, not sure).

I'm buying this TV http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W630B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN8S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 as per video lag it's got the best value/size with low latency for gaming. Downside, it seems to have issues with the passthrough not supporting dolby digital.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 4, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does anyone know if a Vizio Soundstand will fit my 60" Vizio P-Series without it looking odd?

The official specifications are 55"/60lbs but the dimensions of the stand are 19"x"10.5".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its gonna look odd no matter what you do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Its gonna look odd no matter what you do.

Do you know where I can get the exact dimensions?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 5, 2015

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Tab8715 posted:

Do you know where I can get the exact dimensions?

if you look hard enough on Vizio's website, you'll find technical specifications.

Both "Sound Stand" variants are listed as 21" wide x 3" high x 15.5" deep.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I got the Sound Stand but it's just like the other common soundbars I've had it just sounds terribly muddy? Do I need shell out hundreds for a Sonos or real speakers?

Also, my cabling also shows specifically the 4k-60hz port on the side. My initial thought is some duct tape but this seems gross :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You are buying a $90 speaker solution, of course its gonna be poo poo. This is something with 2.5" cones that are supposed to do everything except the bass from the huge 5 1/4" subwoofer. It doesn't even have real tweeters.

Id atleast get a soundbar with some separate drivers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's my next best option thats a Soundbar?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The vizio 42" has multiple drivers and a seperate subwoofer and can be had for $150-$250 if you watch for deals. Amazon warehouse has some in the $170 range openbox.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not a popular opinion but I love my sonos soundbar with its sub. I got it off of craigslist for cheap because the optical port was broken but I easily fixed it.

There are issues with what formats your tv can pass through but my 2007 Sharp aquos passes through my plex audio which aside from OTA broadcast is all I need.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

The vizio 42" has multiple drivers and a seperate subwoofer and can be had for $150-$250 if you watch for deals. Amazon warehouse has some in the $170 range openbox.

I'm in an apartment that a sub isn't necessary but what about this?

Soundbar

Or the new Soundstand Slim Soundstand

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Tab8715 posted:

I'm in an apartment that a sub isn't necessary

What about being in an apartment makes a sub unnecessary? They don't have to be turned up loud to contribute significantly to the soundstage.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Oh nice, thanks, that 65" is sexy.

I just set up my 70" P702B3-UI yesterday, and it is astounding. Make sure to do a service check first to get the latest firmware, otherwise the factory calibration is pretty crappy.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Tytanium posted:

I just set up my 70" P702B3-UI yesterday, and it is astounding. Make sure to do a service check first to get the latest firmware, otherwise the factory calibration is pretty crappy.

How much did you pay and where?

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!
Mine was $1800+local tax, got it at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Kansas City. Think it's about $2000 now, it was on sale when I found it and I jumped on it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

How much did you pay and where?

Amazon has it right now for 1798$ I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one myself.

Edit: Oops sorry that price is for the 65.

E2: Costco has the 70in for 2k plus $50 in shipping.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 6, 2015

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

MacheteZombie posted:

Amazon has it right now for 1798$ I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one myself.

Edit: Oops sorry that price is for the 65.

E2: Costco has the 70in for 2k plus $50 in shipping.

I ordered mine online a few weeks ago and picked it up on a trip back to Kansas City (just moved, had to go pick up stuff we left behind). Didn't see it til I stumbled upon it at Costco a week or so later and I was sold. Very happy with it. I'm no videophile, so this is more than sufficient for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

piercedbronson posted:

What about being in an apartment makes a sub unnecessary? They don't have to be turned up loud to contribute significantly to the soundstage.

Which Vizio model?

Does anyone have the TruVolume stuff continuously messing with their HTPC sound?

EDIT - I used to have these Swans M200 as speakers and they were incredible. What's the soundbar equivalent?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 7, 2015

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Tab8715 posted:

Which Vizio model?

Was speaking in general. 2.0 sounds okay, 2.1 will sound better even at low volumes.

I have no personal experience with Vizio products, other than with my friend's old Vizio sound bar that stopped working one day.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nm

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I was at Best Buy earlier and bought this model TV for $550: Samsung PN60F5300AFXZA

It's replacing a 47" Vizio LED that broke. It was a spur of the moment purchase so I'm wondering if I made a good decision in buying that. Thoughts?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ev posted:

I was at Best Buy earlier and bought this model TV for $550: Samsung PN60F5300AFXZA

It's replacing a 47" Vizio LED that broke. It was a spur of the moment purchase so I'm wondering if I made a good decision in buying that. Thoughts?

Yes you did.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
$2k for the 70" Vizio P at Costco. Need to find a membership that I can use and this poo poo is mine.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Yes you did.

Got it hooked up today and it is sooooo much better than the Vizio it replaced. Very happy with it and I haven't tweaked any of the settings either so maybe it'll get even better! But even if it doesn't, it's a drat fine looking TV.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Is a new series about to drop? Everybody down here in Australia seems to have gone through all their stock of Sony KDL60W600Bs and Samsung UA60H6300s and even Costco seems to be struggling.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

In the US the samsung J series is already in stores. Sadly they went back to 60hz panels on the 6300 series (the H6300/6350 had 120hz native, the J6300 has 60hz native)

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

$2k for the 70" Vizio P at Costco. Need to find a membership that I can use and this poo poo is mine.

If you find someone that has the executive membership (such as myself) and they get 2% back on your purchase, I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I am going to order this tonight when my direct deposit drops

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-multi/7870004.p?id=1219298196643&skuId=7870004

Will I regret it? It'll be used for games and some tv/movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
I'm waffling between Vizio's M Series and the Samsung H6350. Is one a clear winner?