Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goodbye with the military, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh OK, so how do you plan to deal with the fact that your proposal will further exclude minority candidates from police work?

See? You keep throwing that out there like minorities are some massive monolithic pillar of stupid.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Agrajag posted:

See? You keep throwing that out there like minorities are some massive monolithic pillar of stupid.
...which is untrue, because I've never said that performance on standardized tests is a meaningful measure of intelligence. Nice try at a deflection though. However, the gap between white and minority students' performance on standardized tests is extensively documented. Which means: if we make the test to qualify for police training more difficult, the candidates rejected due to the new, higher test score are on average more likely to be from an ethnic minority. So your proposed "solution" keeps an even greater percentage of minorities from becoming police officers. How would you recommend addressing that?

EDIT: For those of you following along, this is what I mean when I say that thinking about the practical implementation of your ideas matters.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 14, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Agrajag posted:

Minority students, especially those from poor families, score lower on standardized tests than wealthier and white students. The educational system systematically discriminates against minorities and you are proposing making it more difficult for them to enter policing, a field already lacking minority applicants, for no gain.

Please articulate why you believe the standard entrance exams for police applicants should be more academically challenging.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm not sure there's anything about knowing how to de-escalate situations or an appropriate knowledge of conflict resolution techniques that requires a high IQ or a high level of academic achievement.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I keep repeating it because I'm asking people to think for five minutes past their gut instincts and maybe possibly consider the real-world implementation questions at even the most basic level. Seriously, who is the information being reported to? A state agency, a federal one? What information is being reported? Will it be made public? How soon must it be reported? Will it be purely factual, or include the results of the inquiry? Since you mentioned an officer "discharg[ing] their firearm", will people who die during arrest due to non-firearm causes be excluded from the data set? How much of this information already exists as public records, but simply isn't indexed and aggregated? Who will pay for the training, technology, and man-hours required to make it work? And, the $64,000 question: what useful information or new conclusions do you think can be extracted from this data that we don't already have?

The Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics already tracks arrest related deaths and deaths in police custody. They, as far as I can tell, don't currently track non-fatal shootings. I know people don't read the reports, because people in this thread, who notionally are interested in the subject of police violence, thought there was no tracking of police killings and didn't know that the BJS reports existed until I linked to them.
You're a lovely poster and the foremost example of someone who pinballs from criticism to shrill criticism without actually examining any of them. I see you've stopped defending your call for more rigorous civil service exams without comment, now that it's been pointed out how dumb it is.
Against my better judgement I'm going to respond to this. The reporting that does get done is to "comply" with the Deaths in Custody Reporting Act, which just got re-upped a few months ago. I put "comply" in quotes because the reporting is optional, so far as I can tell. It's the BJS's job to collect, collate, number-crunch, and disseminate these reports. The problem, as I stated, is that this reporting is optional.

The who's, what's, how's, why's, and when's that you're asking about can basically be the same as what is already collected, though it would be great if they could make their site easier to navigate. That would also help get the data in front of more people that want to read it. I only found that pdf by googling for "NCJ 235385". Anyway, the answer to the $64,000 question is that we need a complete dataset so we can actually analyze the effectiveness of any measures (like bodycams or whatever) put into place.

Edit: these BJS reports also don't include anything about the FBI. The FBI does publish some data, but again it's laughably bad because it includes no detail and it's also optional.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 14, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
First of all if your education system depends entirely on your ethnicity/skin colour then clearly that needs to be changed. However, that has no bearing on the fact that allowing any person that just happens to carry a badge, considering the low as gently caress bar to become a cop in America, to have the capacity to decide life or death of a person, is retarded. So, either arm those that are properly trained and evaluated to have the capacity to not mistake their gun for a taser/shoot everything like it's the wild west or make the selection process to be more rigorous in order to be a cop.

But hey if you enjoy constantly falling back on but "minorities are not as smart"and "won't change anything" then keep it up.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Agrajag posted:

First of all if your education system depends entirely on your ethnicity/skin colour then clearly that needs to be changed. However, that has no bearing on the fact that allowing any person that just happens to carry a badge, considering the low as gently caress bar to become a cop in America, to have the capacity to decide life or death of a person, is retarded. So, either arm those that are properly trained and evaluated to have the capacity to not mistake their gun for a taser/shoot everything like it's the wild west or make the selection process to be more rigorous in order to be a cop.

But hey if you enjoy constantly falling back on but "minorities are not as smart"and "won't change anything" then keep it up.

He's not saying that minorities are not as smart. Minority groups have consistently opposed the use of standardized testing in order to get police and fire (and other) jobs, and rightly so, as these tests have little to do with the duties of the job. They don't test for your capacity to keep your temper, for example.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Please articulate why you believe the standard entrance exams for police applicants should be more academically challenging.

So far all you've done is shout into the wind.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oh man that old rear end cop was pay to play. I've heard about that from people that transferred to us from out of state, but I didn't know they let them do poo poo besides direct traffic.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/deputy-who-killed-man-after-mistaking-gun-for-taser-is-an-insurance-exec-who-pays-to-play-cop/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Gather data on police shootings? Have you ever stop to consider what we would actually do if we knew how many people the police shot? Ha ha Ha, I bet you have not!

Furthermore, have you considered that if we want cops to be smart, there will be no black or Mexican cops? Look at you failing to consider the implications of what you advocate for! Did I mention that I'm super worth engaging with?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure there's anything about knowing how to de-escalate situations or an appropriate knowledge of conflict resolution techniques that requires a high IQ or a high level of academic achievement.
Conflict resolution requires some degree of "psychological mindedness" ("Can reflect on (i.e. observe and experience at the same time) a full range of own and others' feelings or experiences (including subtle variations in feelings). Can reflect both in the present and with reference to a longer-term view of self, values, and goals. Can reflect on multiple relationships between feelings and experiences, across the full range of age-expected experiences in the context of new challenges.") that the murderers this thread is discussing dont seem to have (or employ). As well as a concern for, you know, ethics, repercussions, children who now lost a parent, and other things.

Too many current cops seem to delight in the fact that gunning someone down gets them a paid vacation and an adrenaline high.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/listen-to-officer-michael-slager-laugh-about-the-adrenaline-rush-from-shooting-walter-scott/

quote:

A voice, reportedly Slager’s, asks, “What happens next?”

“Probably once they get you there, we’ll take you home,” he is told. “Take your crap off, take your vest off, kind of relax for two or three. It’ll be real quick. They’re gonna tell you you’re gonna be out for a couple of days and you’ll come back and they’ll interview you then. They’re not going to ask you any kind of questions right now. They’ll take your weapon and we’ll go from there.”

As Slager agrees, acknowledging the advice, the other officer continues.

“By the time you get home, it would probably be a good idea to kind of jot down your thoughts on what happened. You know, once the adrenaline quits pumping.”

A calm-sounding Slager replies, “It’s pumping,” punctuating it with a laugh.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is not impossible to design some kind of special-cases (in this case pertaining to stress, policing, and dealing with the public while under stress, etc..) critical thinking/response test to deal with the issue. This would have some relation to "IQ" but not highschool tests that Dead Reckoning is going to commit forums suicide over.

Crafting-wholesale a fantasy scenario: A new professional position of Psychologist-Interviewer could take the role of Guadian of the Path of the Gun and answer to a Citizens Commission that would oversee hiring. This would remove the Brothers in Blue test, as well as "well your cousin is in the gang so you can be too!".

The idiot you are defending is shrieking about SATs because thats all he has to derail the idea that there might be a problem with the hiring practices.

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're a lovely poster and the foremost example of someone who pinballs from criticism to shrill criticism without actually examining any of them. I see you've stopped defending your call for more rigorous civil service exams without comment, now that it's been pointed out how dumb it is.
You havent changed anyones mind about anything. Theres just no point cluttering the thread dealing with your constant claims that you are a *deep thinker* the likes of which the rest of us just cant comprehend.

SedanChair posted:

Gather data on police shootings? Have you ever stop to consider what we would actually do if we knew how many people the police shot? Ha ha Ha, I bet you have not!

Furthermore, have you considered that if we want cops to be smart, there will be no black or Mexican cops? Look at you failing to consider the implications of what you advocate for! Did I mention that I'm super worth engaging with?
Yeah.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Everyone laughs nervously after a traumatizibg experience. It's not a huge red flag like the article kinda assumes.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FRINGE posted:

It is not impossible to design some kind of special-cases (in this case pertaining to stress, policing, and dealing with the public while under stress, etc..) critical thinking/response test to deal with the issue. This would have some relation to "IQ" but not highschool tests that Dead Reckoning is going to commit forums suicide over.
Why would you make your special case test the entry gate to training? The training is supposed to teach appropriate thinking and responses. That is literally the singular purpose of training.

FRINGE posted:

The idiot you are defending is shrieking about SATs because thats all he has to derail the idea that there might be a problem with the hiring practices.
I'm not defending anyone. I'm voicing my opinion that a commonly used basic aptitude test is an incredibly dumb thing to pick as your subject for a This Will Fix Policing in America (You Racists!) essay.

FRINGE posted:

You havent changed anyones mind about anything.
Welcome to the internet.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 14, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Everyone laughs nervously after a traumatizibg experience. It's not a huge red flag like the article kinda assumes.
Absolutely, Ive dealt with it myself many times. The context of this one though is: "Hey, take a vacation, start crafting your story and practicing your lies, its no big deal."

The person reassuring the killer is part of the problem.

quote:

The senior officer again reassured Slager that he would not have to explain the shooting on the record immediately. “The last one we had, they waited a couple of days to interview officially, like, sit down and tell what happened,” he said.

The fact that Slager seems like he may have a history of problems using force suggests that it is part of his character (in some, or a variety of ways), while also suggesting that his seniors do not mind his behavior.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/09/south-carolina-officer-who-shot-black-man-was-subject-prior-excessive-force/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/michael-slager-man-filed-previous-conduct-complaint-article-1.2178669

quote:

Moments later, she saw the police officers drag Givens out of the house and throw him in the dirt. Brown said she kept yelling to the officers they had the wrong man, but they wouldn't listen. Though Givens was offering no resistance, she said she saw Slager use the stun gun on him again.

quote:

In that case, Slager allegedly entered Givens' home and used a Taser against him multiple times, though he, too, was unarmed — and not the person police were trying to question, according to the AP's exclusive report.

After Givens filed a complaint with the North Charleston Police Department, officials quietly “exonerated” Slager without ever contacting Givens, or the woman who made the complaint that brought police to his home and witnessed the encounter, according to the report.

quote:

Givens shook his head Wednesday when asked about his reaction to learning Slager had been charged with murder. Slager is being held in jail without bond.

"It could have been prevented," Givens said of Scott's death. "If they had just listened to me and investigated what happened that night, this man might be alive today."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why would you make your special case test the entry gate to training? The training is supposed to teach appropriate thinking and responses. That is literally the singular purpose of training.
You want people that can absorb and use the (theoretical) training to begin with. When you find them you train those individuals.

You dont bring in a sociopath and then assert: "Well after we lecture them for a few days they will be right as rain!"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FRINGE posted:

You want people that can absorb and use the (theoretical) training to begin with. When you find them you train those individuals.
Which is why you give them a basic aptitude battery to determine whether they have the academic chops to understand your training. This iis why tests like POST and ASVAB exist. They work reliably to weed out candidates who can't absorb training.

This entire argument is beyond ridiculous. Does anyone in this thread believe that the commonly used entrance exams are even in the top one thousand problems with American law enforcement?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Which is why you give them a basic aptitude battery to determine whether they have the academic chops to understand your training. This iis why tests like POST and ASVAB exist. They work reliably to weed out candidates who can't absorb training.

This entire argument is beyond ridiculous. Does anyone in this thread believe that the commonly used entrance exams are even in the top one thousand problems with American law enforcement?
Top 1000 sure, top 10 maybe not.

They do seem to be an issue though. You cant have results this consistently bad across the nation in unrelated departments without it seeming likely that there is a problem with the selection process - in addition to the many other problems.

It is related to the problem where a "bad apple" *cough* is found, and then the rotten barrel rallies to protect it. There is a screening problem before, and a screening problem during.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FRINGE posted:

They do seem to be an issue though. You cant have results this consistently bad across the nation in unrelated departments without it seeming likely that there is a problem with the selection process - in addition to the many other problems.
Oh you'll get no argument from me that the selection process is commonly rear end backwards. Even discounting good-ol-boyism and straight racism. I just can't grasp how making the entrance exam more academically challenging is supposed to address that issue. Do you and the other posters in this thread complaining about the POST being too easy have some data that shows a correlation between academic achievement and police brutality? Does knowledge of calculus correlate with a decreased rate of police abuse? If applicants were quizzed on Homer and Virgil would cops stop murdering people so much?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Edit : Posting works better if you refresh the page.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 14, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh you'll get no argument from me that the selection process is commonly rear end backwards. Even discounting good-ol-boyism and straight racism. I just can't grasp how making the entrance exam more academically challenging is supposed to address that issue. Do you and the other posters in this thread complaining about the POST being too easy have some data that shows a correlation between academic achievement and police brutality? Does knowledge of calculus correlate with a decreased rate of police abuse? If applicants were quizzed on Homer and Virgil would cops stop murdering people so much?
I havent called for a use of SATs. I dont know if anyone did or if that is just something that was invented as a convenience. I gave one fantasy outline of a direction to go not far above this.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Actually, the FBI tracks this information through the unified crime reports... which police departments aren't required to report police shootings to.

So even the research org that's not barred isn't doing it.
The FBI can't even convince the states to cooperate with the NICS. Seriously, the states in this country won't even tell the federal government who is a violent criminal and/or insane person in order that those people not be sold guns. Not because of any principled political stance, but simply because it would cost money so gently caress it.

Good luck getting 10,000+ different police departments to report something that could be used against them. Not that I don't support the idea, but there's no legal basis to compel reporting and no political will to fund it so long as it's only poor folks getting murdered.

FRINGE posted:

I havent called for a use of SATs. I dont know if anyone did or if that is just something that was invented as a convenience. I gave one fantasy outline of a direction to go not far above this.
The complaint that started this ridiculous argument was "The POST exam is too easy. It should be harder."

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 14, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Good luck getting 10,000+ different police departments to report something that could be used against them. Not that I don't support the idea, but there's no legal basis to compel reporting and no political will to fund it so long as it's only poor folks getting murdered.

I'm open to any and all reform proposals, except for ones that cops won't like or anything effective at all really, those are off the table.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vahakyla posted:

This. Also, fwiw, I used to train military special forces types on how to give proper shooter statements. A big part of it was calm the gently caress down. Wait for the adrenaline to leave your system. Gather your thoughts. Record everything. Nothing about that is coaching someone to lie. It was making sure we got complete statements the first go round. Having an adrenaline dump as a physiological reaction to a high stress event does not necessarily mean someone is a thrill seeker who gets off on it.

As for testing, I'm not sure how pointing out that poors from underperforming schools (which includes a disproportionate number of minorities) statistically do poorly on standardized testing makes one a racist. No one has suggested that it's because minorities are dumber. But you can't ignore the data. If it's not true that there is a performance gap, why do we care about school reform?

That said, giving pay to play cops a gun is loving stupid.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vahakyla posted:

Goodbye with the military, then.

Incorrect. The military as a whole has higher test scores and possesses a higher average education level that the population writ large. Even if you exclude the officers corps where a bachelors degree is a minimum requirement for line, advanced degrees are required for most staff, and graduate coursework is needed for promotion, there is a 20% high school drop out rate in this country which is a disqualifier (unless you have a GED and some college) and of those who graduate high school, many can't pass the ASVAB. I'm not saying everyone in the military is a genius. But our general population is pretty loving stupid.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

IMO doing a bit of paperwork after you literally kill someone isn't to much to ask but apparently some people disagree.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FRINGE posted:

Conflict resolution requires some degree of "psychological mindedness" ("Can reflect on (i.e. observe and experience at the same time) a full range of own and others' feelings or experiences (including subtle variations in feelings). Can reflect both in the present and with reference to a longer-term view of self, values, and goals. Can reflect on multiple relationships between feelings and experiences, across the full range of age-expected experiences in the context of new challenges.") that the murderers this thread is discussing dont seem to have (or employ). As well as a concern for, you know, ethics, repercussions, children who now lost a parent, and other things.

Right, but that kind of "mindedness" can be taught and isn't necessarily dependent on a high IQ, test scores, or academic performance.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

But part of the impunity for police officers has to do with juries favoring law enforcement over minority defendants. The no-bills in the cases of Eric Garner and the SWAT team that burned a toddler is a problem with society that you can't fix by changing policies and procedures.

Interesting that you should use the Eric Garner no-bill as an example of something that's a society problem that can't be addressed with policy/procedure because I think it is exactly the opposite of what you say.

It's very likely that Garner's death was no-billed precisely because the DA and Grand Jury procedure serves as a gatekeeper and barrier to the policemen being indicted. Since the DA's in these cases often have a working relationship with the police involved, there is a systemic conflict of interest in their vigorously pursuing justice for a police victim like Garner in that it might hamper their working relationship with the police there.

It's precisely this sort of thing that policies and procedures can help address even if class, race and other societal issues may still provide an impediment to justice being served. For instance, if there was an indictment and it went to trial, it could happen that the cop's defense attorney was able to finagle an all white Staten Island jury and get an improbable acquittal due to racial attitudes. But at least there wouldn't be the systemic barrier of a conflicted DA tanking the case before a grand jury and preventing a trial in the first place.

If you don't take baby steps you can't take the bigger ones. I haven't read up on the South Carolina SLED, but it sounds like something independent of the local jurisdiction PDs and maybe that's why there's some actual action on some cases there?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

As for testing, I'm not sure how pointing out that poors from underperforming schools (which includes a disproportionate number of minorities) statistically do poorly on standardized testing makes one a racist. No one has suggested that it's because minorities are dumber. But you can't ignore the data. If it's not true that there is a performance gap, why do we care about school reform

Nobody is saying the gap isn't real, but that's so easy to address in hiring that we don't understand why it would be an excuse to throw up your hands at the suggestion of getting smarter cops.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Nobody is saying the gap isn't real, but that's so easy to address in hiring that we don't understand why it would be an excuse to throw up your hands at the suggestion of getting smarter cops.

How do you assess "smarter" if not through entrance exams? I agree standardized tests are not always an accurate predictor of intelligence, but when you say they should hire "smarter" how will that decision be made in a way that stands up to the objectivity requirements of public employment?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

How do you assess "smarter" if not through entrance exams? I agree standardized tests are not always an accurate predictor of intelligence, but when you say they should hire "smarter" how will that decision be made in a way that stands up to the objectivity requirements of public employment?

Racial hiring quotas *sinister music plays*

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Why the hell would you think this would be easy to address in hiring? And why would that be different from every other context of gating something with a standardized test that people complain about having disparate impact on minorities?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ActusRhesus posted:

This. Also, fwiw, I used to train military special forces types on how to give proper shooter statements. A big part of it was calm the gently caress down. Wait for the adrenaline to leave your system. Gather your thoughts. Record everything. Nothing about that is coaching someone to lie. It was making sure we got complete statements the first go round. Having an adrenaline dump as a physiological reaction to a high stress event does not necessarily mean someone is a thrill seeker who gets off on it.

The issue isn't coaching an officer to lie. It's giving him time to get his facts in line with the investigation. How long would you wait before questioning a civilian shooter? Do you tell him to head home and relax for a couple days while you let his buddies write out their statements first? The entire process is transparently designed to ensure the officer has the best possible chance of not facing repercussions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Racial hiring quotas *sinister music plays*

B-b-but that would be... reverse racism! The worst kind of racism!

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

DARPA posted:

The issue isn't coaching an officer to lie. It's giving him time to get his facts in line with the investigation. How long would you wait before questioning a civilian shooter? Do you tell him to head home and relax for a couple days while you let his buddies write out their statements first? The entire process is transparently designed to ensure the officer has the best possible chance of not facing repercussions.
I've taken a couple of CCW/self defense courses and they stress not talking to police before speaking with legal counsel, even if it means spending extra time in police custody. Every suspect, cop or otherwise, has the right to remain silent etc.

Now a police officer is unlikely to tell a non-cop shooter to take a few days to compose themselves (although technically I guess they'd have to/should mirandize the shooter), but I don't know if that means the process is designed to give extra protection to police shooters.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lemming posted:

B-b-but that would be... reverse racism! The worst kind of racism!

The only kind of racism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah the difference is that police officers want shooters to give them an inconsistent story before they've had time to calm down. Unless it's a cop.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ActusRhesus posted:

Incorrect. The military as a whole has higher test scores and possesses a higher average education level that the population writ large. Even if you exclude the officers corps where a bachelors degree is a minimum requirement for line, advanced degrees are required for most staff, and graduate coursework is needed for promotion, there is a 20% high school drop out rate in this country which is a disqualifier (unless you have a GED and some college) and of those who graduate high school, many can't pass the ASVAB. I'm not saying everyone in the military is a genius. But our general population is pretty loving stupid.

A major component of the problem is that significant chunks of our population are willfully, deliberately stupid. Among conservatives being as uneducated as possible is seen as a good thing because that makes you a salt of the earth good old boy with common sense unlike those ivory tower nerds with their fancy titles, arrogant attitudes, and loving literacy. Just because somebody has studied a subject for ten years doesn't mean they understand it. Me, I know how the world works so let me tell you how global warming is a hoax...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not so sure stupidity and ignorance are limited to any one political ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I think most people in here don't actually know what they want. They don't actually want "smarter" cops per se, but cops that are better able to handle stressful situations and deescalate instead of continuing to escalate. This is a cultural and training problem, and probably requires significantly more training than US police departments can afford.

• Locked thread