Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
ah poo poo just when i was planting the seeds to buy low on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow people already panic-dropping Mat Latos?

Moneyball posted:

So Miller is definitely the closer now in NY?

Has to be. Betances has thrown a dickload of walks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

loving closers. God drat it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

euphronius posted:

loving closers. God drat it.

This was my mantra last season

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rand alPaul posted:

Huuuuge velocity drop. He may just be plain bad now.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

Huuuuge velocity drop. He may just be plain bad now.

I knew it dropped but not by that much. Wow. He's in Lincecum land now :(

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

kensei posted:

Evan Gattis got a hit today :toot:

YAY! Bout time! He's all I've got on a two-catcher team!

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
How long do I let the clock tick on Betances? He looks like dogshit, and even though I don't need him to close (H2H, points for holds), its not hard to find a back-end reliever that gets usage and can consistently hit the loving zone.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

JackssWastedLife posted:

In a vacuum I like that deal for Tulo, but I'd be wary about having Samardzjia as my number one pitcher, even with the depth you have at the backend of your rotation. There's a lot of upside there, but also a lot of risk. As for the Harper trade, I am very bullish on Harper this year, but I think your outfield is solid enough that looking to upgrade SS is smarter.

My thoughts exactly. Gonna keep the Tulo scenario in the back of my head, but the more I think about it, the more I lean toward holding onto Scherzer.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Rand alPaul posted:

In shallow leagues, with his velo drop, I'm looking elsewhere.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I acquired Betancourt, which means he will have 0 saves the rest of the season.

I am sorry friends.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I turned on mlb.tv to watch Carlos Carrasco pitch and instead saw him getting loaded onto a cart after getting hit by a line drive. Welp :(

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Shane Greene: A Cool Dude.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
gently caress a Mike Zunino and when the gently caress is espn updating Stephen Vogt to catcher elg? I think im just going to punt catcher and hold Vogt until espn gets their poo poo together and yea hes seriously my best option on the wire :(

Real talk, does anyone know when they usually update elg? its not like he did a one game stint hes literally the A's starting catcher and hes still just 1b on espn

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

the_american_dream posted:

gently caress a Mike Zunino and when the gently caress is espn updating Stephen Vogt to catcher elg? I think im just going to punt catcher and hold Vogt until espn gets their poo poo together and yea hes seriously my best option on the wire :(

Real talk, does anyone know when they usually update elg? its not like he did a one game stint hes literally the A's starting catcher and hes still just 1b on espn

I think ESPN is 10 games, Yahoo is 5 starts or 10 games total appearing at the position.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thank you so yea think ill go ahead and stash

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
ESPN is 10 games, I'm kind of wondering why he didn't have it to begin the season.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thinking I should probably drop granderson or aramis ramirez now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Closers

CLOSERS

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
yep, looks like Ottavino was the one to add in Colorado

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Piper posted:

nice, looks like I made a steal by nabbing him.

some dude offered me freddie freeman and marcell ozuna for adam jones lol.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Looks like my "spend $1 on relievers who could become closers" draft strategy is already paying off with Ottavino.

I also spent $5 on Doolittle.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Piper posted:

God damnit.

Closer merry-go-round has been particularly annoying this season.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

God damnit.

Closer merry-go-round has been particularly annoying this season.

I disagree. I'm leading my roto league in saves with the elite staff of Reed, Boxberger, Soria and Familia. Never pay for saves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ottavino was drafted in my league for 5$

I want to play in a less competitive league some time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JackssWastedLife posted:

Never pay for saves.

This is not true all the time.

In competitive leagues you may have to pay for saves depending on WW/FAAB rules and roster sizes.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You end up dropping half your roster anyway by the end of the year. If you draft 3 closers you''ll probably end the year with 1 or 2 of them which is not much different from most other positions.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The three closers I drafted have all lost their jobs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

You end up dropping half your roster anyway by the end of the year. If you draft 3 closers you''ll probably end the year with 1 or 2 of them which is not much different from most other positions.

true but in competitive leagues you STILL have to pay for guys like Walden, Familia, Ottavino . . .

So DONT PAY FOR SAVES is not true all the time.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I invested in backups and value closers and hit Grilli hard and I have 5 closers without really paying.

Draft talent not role.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Draft talent not role.

This might be a better mantra regarding relief pitchers. And obviously I paid more than $1 in the draft for Reed or Boxberger, so it's not literally "Don't Pay for Saves", maybe more like "Don't invest heavily in saves"?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dont invest heavily in bad pitchers who happen to have the C role.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Do you guys think I'm misguided in holding onto Rusney Castillo for the time being? My league has an NA slot that is currently occupied by Kris Bryant, but am hoping that he'll be called up soon (right? please? ugh), allowing me to stash Rusney there.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Vernacular posted:

Do you guys think I'm misguided in holding onto Rusney Castillo for the time being? My league has an NA slot that is currently occupied by Kris Bryant, but am hoping that he'll be called up soon (right? please? ugh), allowing me to stash Rusney there.

If someone in my league dropped Castillo I'd pick him up in a heartbeat, if that helps.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Isn't Bryant practically guaranteed to be called up this weekend? I thought that if he played 12 games in the minors that made it so he couldn't be an FA for another year.

edit: point being, your NA spot should be open quite soon.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I'm sure Tomas is being stashed in all your leagues but he just got called up. Why the Diamondbacks sent him to AAA for 10 days is beyond me.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

weas posted:

I'm sure Tomas is being stashed in all your leagues but he just got called up. Why the Diamondbacks sent him to AAA for 10 days is beyond me.

Maybe because he doesn't have a position and is a butcher in the field? And it's not like his bat was lighting the world on fire. But it is weird timing for his callup.

He was dropped in a couple of my leagues, but I'm not rushing to pick him up. Dave Stewart said they called him up to be a bench bat, and I can't imagine they want 2 butchers in the outfield at the same time in Trumbo/Tomas. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Tomas is gonna make an immediate impact like other cuban players have.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

Isn't Bryant practically guaranteed to be called up this weekend? I thought that if he played 12 games in the minors that made it so he couldn't be an FA for another year.

edit: point being, your NA spot should be open quite soon.

He should be up Friday. I'm, uh... patiently waiting. :getin:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Oh Taijuan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Tomas is gonna make an immediate impact like other cuban players have.

I agree but I'd consider stashing him in some leagues to see how things play out with his production and playing time.

• Locked thread