Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Goober Peas posted:

Terrible advice. I wouldn't trust them to even wash my windshield.
I dunno they put tires on for me once and they spin pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Stuffed all 5 tires and wheel back into my little car for now. :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

SFH1989 posted:

I've seen one but expensive cars aren't really uncommon in Fairfield County. So many Tesla Model S' around here.

That reminds me, I forgot to put this picture in my album earlier.

It looks really good in person, but right next to the 33 Stradale it ends up looking just a little derpy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Scrambles posted:

no no no no no no no no no

Been there done that with three different locations in three states, every single time they scratched the hell out of my wheels and couldn't balance them halfway right. Stock subaru 17s too, nothing special. Good luck finding anyone to give a poo poo about your complaints either.

agreed.

I brought my shitcan XJ to them with my tires already mounted, just needed to be balanced, and it took them like 2.5-3 hours of the slack-assest, most retarded mechanic dicking around before they were "done." Except they weren't balanced worth a poo poo.

It took half an hour for my car to even end up in the bay. Another half hour before it was off the ground. And a long rear end time to balance the tires. In like a six bay shop with several mechanics and maybe one or two other cars in the same time period.

Pretty sure they were stretching time out and trying to avoid being sent home. I was not happy in the least, because I had poo poo to get done on my half-day vacation other than wait for some shitforbrains to balance my tires and got none of it done, and still had to have my tires rebalanced again. It was a lifetime balance but gently caress that, they can keep the goddamn money, I would rather pay again somewhere else than go through that shitshow again.

... it took me maybe 45 minutes to balance all 4 myself at ACEofsnett's dad's place, and that's jacking each corner up manually and using a 4-way not an impact to take them off, then having to be taught how to use the balancing machine. They balanced great. What a pack of retards, gently caress walmart.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

last night an escalade whose driver was too busy on her phone hit a tire in the road and launched it at my car while i was going about 75mph

i tried to flag her down but she wouldn't pull over, so i got her license number and called the cops. It could have gone way, way worse but still, finding a hood for a quad coupe /redline will be challenging, and finding a replacement bumper even more so

Yikes, that may total it. What would happen if you had an Ion with a salvage title? :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

kintetsu semi-express to nagoya:

hikari shinkansen towards hiroshima:

trains own.
Japanese trains own. A lot of places they still suck.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I can't remember the details but my friend took his car to Wal mart for an oil change once. There was a hole in the oil pan and they just patched it up without telling him. He drove 200 miles and found out that his car was pissing oil. Luckily, he got them to pay for the repair.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
The Wal-Mart where I grew up had great mechanics.

Because once they opened, almost all of the mom and pops had to shut down :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Argh the cell phone repair place didn't fix what I asked of them and charged me for what should have been covered under their warranty. Now the speaker doesn't work either. :argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

I found a black quadcoupe hood in the area for $50, should I go full ricer and just go with the black hood or should I submit the insurance claim and get it fixed?

Buy the black hood either way.

If the other party's insurance is paying make them do all the legwork to get you a brand new hood.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

kintetsu semi-express to nagoya:

hikari shinkansen towards hiroshima:

trains own.
Trains do own. Trains in Germany were excellent and I miss having that as an option for long trips. Hop on, eat a bit then take a nap and wake up at your destination. It's like a train without all the TSA bullshit.

iwentdoodie posted:

The Wal-Mart where I grew up had great mechanics.

Because once they opened, almost all of the mom and pops had to shut down :(
Pretty much the same here. A couple were able to stay open but only because they had the fleet contracts in town.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I somehow have zero BMW apparel.
From earlier this month...this has been fixed. Yay closeouts.

If anyone was thinking about picking up a steering wheel for iRacing or whatever here's the G27 for $150 - http://slickdeals.net/f/7795183-logitech-g27-racing-wheel-pre-order-150-free-shipping Best price I've seen.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

AI GTA Krew:

Just completed my first heist and bought this spiffy thing. I'm down to host some Heists this weekend if anyone's interested :getin:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do we have an official AI GTA5 steam group?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

BraveUlysses posted:

We have a Social Club Crew. There's also the AI Steam Group. I'd recommend joining the Social Club crew and friending people, more likely to get matched into freeroam with AI guys that way.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Oh no no, I agree with FreeNAS, but the Enterprise SSDs at least come with a better warrenty, we just purchased a bunch for our database server.

Eh, we're not too bothered by warranty on the drives. We just carry a few replacements. And TBH, SSD failure rates especially in some of the hostile environments we deal with are.... actually I dont remember a SSD failing out of the blue for a long while. We had that on earlier SSD's but the later ones, cant complain.

quote:

drat I'll never complain about my couple systems and other systems I babysit and help out on.

As long as the people I work alongside are good, I aint either. My last job was loving hostile as hell, I got written warning for not filling out my time sheet in the way they wanted - you had to account for EVERY 15 minute block. It took two loving hours every week to do it sometimes and every 15 minute block not marked on a client was argued over and you basically had to justify taking a dump. Oh and then you had to detail your time with the exact task in the worst loving interface known for timesheeting. Employee stress levels on Monday were off the charts due to the pissing around and management was always lurking if you made a mistake - I dont recall a single person not dragged over the coals for a timesheet infringement - I basically started looking for new job once probation was over and timesheet poo poo was jus thte tip of the iceberg for stupidity there. Small business trying to believe they are big enterprise are a loving joke.

Funny thing is, now I'm at a loving huge Enterprise that tries to behave like a family small business. Sometimes I wonder if they actually grasp just how genuinely huge they are - just things like the fact if they were a trucking business, they would have one of the largest fleets in the country. Where I was yesterday has twenty semis dedicated to it, at the other site they have 3 to 4 B-Doubles at one time unloading or loading from 4am to 6pm, in and out. I always wanted to work in a big place.... ohhhh boy do I ever now.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

We have a KREW and a steam group

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Buy the black hood either way.

If the other party's insurance is paying make them do all the legwork to get you a brand new hood.

We have no fault insurance here, so I guess that means I only deal with my insurance company but idk if that means I actually pay the deductible or not. STR knows all about how that stuff works, and the nice policeman gave me an incident report and I wasn't ticketed so :shrug:

meatpimp posted:

Yikes, that may total it. What would happen if you had an Ion with a salvage title? :ohdear:

I don't think so, at most it's like $1500 of work and parts and the car is worth anywhere from $4,000-$6000 depending on the kid that would buy it.

I definitely wouldn't be able to get anything fun since we're saving to buy a house right now :( Even if it was a salvage title afaik the insurance company pays out the same but whoever told me that was probably wrong.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Like a week after buying my first car I took it to Walmart to get the tires balanced and a slow leak fixed (because I was a dumb kid). They took over an hour to accomplish this, and by the time I got home the tire that had a slow leak (took several days to get low) now had a fast leak, and was nearly flat. In the process of removing said wheel so I could put the spare on and drive back to do some righteous rear end-chewing, I also noticed that they had completely hosed up about 3 lug nuts and two of my lug studs were now broken as well.

gently caress Walmart forever and ever and ever. I don't care what aspect of it we're talking about either, gently caress everything about that company.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I found out the idiot way that fix a flat royally fucks up tire balance on the highway so I took my car over to Discount Tire to see if they could balance it out. They took the tire off the wheel, cleaned out the fix a flat and the bead so it sealed properly, balanced all four and charged me 20 bucks. The guy even told me if I come back he'd just charge me the difference between a one time balance and a lifetime balance if I wanted it.

Can't say enough good things about those dudes really.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friends took their car to WM for an oil change and after waiting for two hours they were told the car had a cracked oil pack and they couldn't change the oil. They brought it to my place and I crawled underneath to find the pan crunched and scraped. They'd owned this car for 4 years and had never been told the pan was damaged so we assume the WM techs did something.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok my bad don't go to walmart unless you need some kraft mac & cheese or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I won't even buy food from that place.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

As long as the people I work alongside are good, I aint either.

Working with people you like is a really great thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I found out the idiot way that fix a flat royally fucks up tire balance on the highway so I took my car over to Discount Tire to see if they could balance it out. They took the tire off the wheel, cleaned out the fix a flat and the bead so it sealed properly, balanced all four and charged me 20 bucks. The guy even told me if I come back he'd just charge me the difference between a one time balance and a lifetime balance if I wanted it.

Can't say enough good things about those dudes really.

The only gripe I've ever had about Discount is that their pricing used to be a lot higher than Tirerack, but they've been much more aggressive the past few years. By the time you add in shipping and mounting, the only reason I have to go anywhere but Discount is if I really want a tire they don't carry at all.

There's a reason every single Discount in metro Phoenix has a line at the counter, all day every day.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only gripe I've ever had about Discount is that their pricing used to be a lot higher than Tirerack, but they've been much more aggressive the past few years. By the time you add in shipping and mounting, the only reason I have to go anywhere but Discount is if I really want a tire they don't carry at all.

There's a reason every single Discount in metro Phoenix has a line at the counter, all day every day.

I bought tires off Tire Rack and took them to Discount Tire to get mounted. The guy asked me why I did that since Discount Tire would have price matched the online price anyway and I felt like an idiot and then we awkwardly held hands and I think we're dating now and that's my story about Discount Tire.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

I won't even buy food from that place.

same

Not by choice, anyway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't think so, at most it's like $1500 of work and parts and the car is worth anywhere from $4,000-$6000 depending on the kid that would buy it.

I.... ummm... :thejoke:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

meatpimp posted:

You get a good car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

My friends took their car to WM for an oil change and after waiting for two hours they were told the car had a cracked oil pack and they couldn't change the oil. They brought it to my place and I crawled underneath to find the pan crunched and scraped. They'd owned this car for 4 years and had never been told the pan was damaged so we assume the WM techs did something.

on the other hand, there's plenty of people who scrape the poo poo out of their cars and never ever pause to think about what kind of repercussions it could have.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

on the other hand, there's plenty of people who scrape the poo poo out of their cars and never ever pause to think about what kind of repercussions it could have.

but enough about hellaflush

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

For most people I would agree. Not with this couple though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

For most people I would agree. Not with this couple though.

right, and thats why they were dumb enough to go to walmart for an oil change

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The moral of the story is if you're going to Wal-Mart for an oil change make sure you have a skid plate over the pan.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I.... ummm... :thejoke:

:doh:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

Recommendations? Sever. :v:

seriously though I don't know anything about crossovers because they are the worst cars and I don't pay them any attention

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My wife wanted a minivan in the future and I was like lol nooo so we compromised on a Ford Explorer since the new ones look sweet

welp that's my story about wives and automobiles!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MustardFacial posted:

The modern "crossovers" just just soooo loving bad and bland. You are screwed :(

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Recommendations? Sever. :v:

seriously though I don't know anything about crossovers because they are the worst cars and I don't pay them any attention

I told her already if she wanted a minivan I was going to divorce her. I also know nothing about CUV's but I think all she wants is a driving appliance so I'm just going to get whatever unless I can find something even mildly interesting. They still offer the STI engines in the Forester XT right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Das Volk posted:

If anyone was at VMworld in 2009 when the labs completely cratered, it was partly because we were dumb enough to use FreeNAS to present object storage rather than block. Over Cisco UCS on FCoE. Whiiiich means one IOP was looping back and forth through the same wire 4 times. The whole reasoning behind this was that block would introduce the problem of VMFS only being able to have 8 open file handles per file, however the provisioning software was set up so it didn't need to do that to begin with. So I just cut FreeNAS out of the loop by directly mounting the FCoE LUNs and bam, lab goes from non-starter to usable.

Haha, yeah, I was there for that :o:

Well done on the fix!

• Locked thread