Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

fordan posted:

Anyone else with a Surface Pro 3 having the power adapter cable shielding start to show at the tablet connection plug side?

Geirskogul posted:

Yes. I put heat shrink tubing over mine. Common fault.

Following up on this, took it to the Microsoft store and they were fine with swapping it out under warranty. Of course, I was also there getting a new Surface under the accidental damage coverage of the extended warranty they offer after putting my Surface in a bag where it apparently found a sharp point despite being in a neoprene case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
My Lenovo Yoga Tablet 13 showed up yesterday. It's worth keeping in mind that every netbook/tablet I've had before this was 11.6" or under display with a 720p resolution.

- It comes in a box with no retail packaging or instructions. Tablet, keyboard, two micro USB cables and a wall adapter.
- There's a refurbished sticker on both the tablet and the keyboard. Easy to peel off.
- The tablet itself doesn't feel too heavy. It's nice to hold one handed with the little battery bump. The back's plastic. The kickstand is metal and has a button release. I've used it on my bed, a table and a desk and it's solid. I guess it's possible that you could use it on your lap but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.
- It can't stand on it's side with the kickstand.
- Pairing the keyboard to the tablet was a motherfucker. Enough where Lenovo felt like they had to put up a support article on how to do it http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-tablet-2-1371/documents/HT102593?tabName=Solutions Be sure to finish your Windows updates before trying to pair it. Besides the pair issue, I'm really enjoying the keyboard. Very nice to type on. Full sized. It has a weird textured feel around the keyboard and on the trackpad. The keyboard magnet is weak but it's enough to keep it from sliding around as you type.
- The 2560 x 1440 screen is beautiful. I was afraid that the text would be really tiny but I guess Windows was able to realize the resolution and scale the text accordingly.
- Downside to the screen, the text in desktop programs look jaggy if you use the tablet close to your face. Not that big of a deal since the keyboard is bluetooth.
- I'm having an issue where it's plugged in but not charging. I haven't been able to charge it to 100% yet. I haven't really looked into it yet but I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. Much better quality than my old Acer tablet. Fantastic for the price.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 11, 2015

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

OK, so I'm thinking about either the Venue 10 Pro with a pen, or the Surface 3 with a pen. I have the Venue 8 Pro now, and use it a lot, but the wife needs something to take notes on, so she's going to inherit it.

Do we have any idea of the performance gap between the two, or just have to wait for the Surface to get into the wild?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

tecnocrat posted:

OK, so I'm thinking about either the Venue 10 Pro with a pen, or the Surface 3 with a pen. I have the Venue 8 Pro now, and use it a lot, but the wife needs something to take notes on, so she's going to inherit it.

Do we have any idea of the performance gap between the two, or just have to wait for the Surface to get into the wild?

Venue 10 Pro seems to use Wacom tech similar to what's in the Toshiba Encore 2 Write but I haven't read any trip reports with it. Surface 3 has the new version of Atom in it but there's no real world reports on how much better it is compared to Bay Trail.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm thinking of saving up for the Pro 3 over the regular Surface, because once you get the stylus and bump it up to 4Gb of RAM, it isn't a huge leap in price to get a proper i3 and I'm not sure how well the Atom would do with Manga Studio (it won't even start on my original Encore).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ars has their Surface 3 review up.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/surface-3-review-smaller-slower-cheaper-better

Looks good. It's not fast, not by any means, but for what it is and what it costs, you really don't feel like you are compromising with the Atom.

Really think i'm going to RMA my SP3 over the yellow band and then sell it off and pick up one of these. The smaller size would work better and charging via standard microUSB is a massive massive draw.

I'll wait to handle one in person to see if the smaller size and lighter weight transfer over to real impressions.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The reviews I've seen so far doesn't make me feel like the Surface 3 is worth that price.

Particularly since Best Buy has a promo where you can get $200 in gift cards and coupons when you trade in a tablet for a Surface Pro 3.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/surface-pro-3-130057

Even without taking value of the trade in into account, the fact that the i5-128GB SP3 only costs about $50 more than 128GB S3 with the pen makes the upgrade more tempting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Edward IV posted:

Even without taking value of the trade in into account, the fact that the i5-128GB SP3 only costs about $50 more than 128GB S3 with the pen makes the upgrade more tempting.

I'm not sure you have the prices right.

i5-128 SP3 is $999

128gb S3 is $599. Even with adding the $49 pen, the SP3 is $350 more expensive than the S3.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure you have the prices right.

i5-128 SP3 is $999

128gb S3 is $599. Even with adding the $49 pen, the SP3 is $350 more expensive than the S3.

Whoops, I didn't notice the as tested price in the Arstechica review also included the dock. That's what I get for being lazy while cross shopping on my phone.

I do wonder if it's worth trading in my Venue 8 Pro and Yoga 2 for the convenience factor instead of just selling it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

gently caress Dell in the rear end!

I go to check on my Venue 8 Pro and prepare it for the trade in and, on top of the battery being dead, it refuses to charge. I leave it plugged in with the original charger and cable for about half an hour but it won't power on and the charger is cold meaning it's been doing nothing. I go to charge it with a charger that indicates current draw and see that nothing meaningful is going through. Then I take a closer look at the microUSB slot, which mind you I have damaged a few times because Dell (in their infinite wisdom) made the microUSB slot rectangular (rather than the usual trapezoid) so it's possible to plug in the wrong way, and see that tongue is partially broken and one of the pins has worked their way free. Based on diagrams, it looks like it is the ground pin that worked its way loose but I couldn't find a way to get it to work again. And it's now out of warranty. Some data is still on it, but not super important, and I doubt Best Buy would take it in its current condition.

I feel like Dell should be sued for using an out of spec micro-USB slot. Particularly since the design allows inadvertent insertion and damage. I know I can't get anything done in time to do the trade in deal but I feel like I should do something about it since I have a brick at the moment. Should I take it up with Dell customer service?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 15, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've always associated DELL with cheap nasty poo poo from the workstations in the 90s (just like Acer and others). I know they had a good marketing campaign about ringing up and ordering them to your door for cheap, but I've never seen a DELL that made me want one. Am I out of date?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tony Montana posted:

I've always associated DELL with cheap nasty poo poo from the workstations in the 90s (just like Acer and others). I know they had a good marketing campaign about ringing up and ordering them to your door for cheap, but I've never seen a DELL that made me want one. Am I out of date?

The Dell Venue 8 Pro was once the go to Windows 8.1 tablet and the build quality was extremely solid. And the XPS 13 is basically the top laptop recommended outside of Macbooks.

Seems like the company has been turning around since they went private.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Current Dell hardware is impressive, so they have fixed things since going private, I guess.

I owned the DVP8 and never understood the blasting of the microUSB port. Sure you can shove it in both ways, but I never, not once plugged it in wrong. I guess I just knew what orientation was correct and inserted it accordingly. It's not a lightning cable. Sold it a while back, so it's my dated take I guess. Just pause, look and think before plugging it in and never attempt in total darkness. Takes milliseconds and is a piece of cake to never do it wrong.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yeah, the recent Dell tablets and ultrabooks that I've seen have been pretty nice pieces of hardware, and the workstations seemed to be functional in smallish form factors. I didn't have to deal with the budgeting or maintenance for those machines though, so there may be other issues to keep in mind, but as far as end user usage goes they were perfectly fine.

hotsauce posted:

I owned the DVP8 and never understood the blasting of the microUSB port. Sure you can shove it in both ways, but I never, not once plugged it in wrong. I guess I just knew what orientation was correct and inserted it accordingly. It's not a lightning cable. Sold it a while back, so it's my dated take I guess. Just pause, look and think before plugging it in and never attempt in total darkness. Takes milliseconds and is a piece of cake to never do it wrong.

Do you go through tablets as quickly as you go through phones? :v:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Just pause, look and think before plugging it in and never attempt in total darkness.

Yeah, that's where I went wrong. I was using it in bed and was going to plug it in before falling asleep but didn't pay attention to its orientation. Still, there is a reason why the port is shaped as it is in its proper spec. That tongue isn't supposed to take any force and isn't as strong the tongue on a full size USB port.

Here's a photo showing the damage. Sorry that its overexposed (my camera and flash really isn't really set up for macro shots) but it does show the broken tongue and exposed pin on the left side of the port.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

isndl posted:

Do you go through tablets as quickly as you go through phones? :v:

Nah. My SP3 and Note 4 has pretty much chilled me out from running through a bunch of stuff. I'm content for now and have been since getting them. It's a miracle :newlol:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Edward IV posted:

I feel like Dell should be sued for using an out of spec micro-USB slot.

It's in spec and technically correct imo for a micro usb host port. It's just that that's not typically how it's done. Did you use a proper A type cable end for that type of port?

Combined charging and on-the-go ports are an abomination and shouldn't exist. And in spec or not, this was de facto a bad design decision because it would still be possible (though definitely more difficult) to insert even the right plug the wrong way, never mind that a massively more common micro usb b-type is practically guaranteed to ruin it at some point.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's in spec and technically correct imo for a micro usb host port. It's just that that's not typically how it's done. Did you use a proper A type cable end for that type of port?

Combined charging and on-the-go ports are an abomination and shouldn't exist. And in spec or not, this was de facto a bad design decision because it would still be possible (though definitely more difficult) to insert even the right plug the wrong way, never mind that a massively more common micro usb b-type is practically guaranteed to ruin it at some point.

tl;dr I can't wait for the new USB 3.1 ports to come out. All of the micro-USB 2.0 and 3.0 slots are horrible and prone to damage.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nope. I was using the provided type-B micro cable with the typical trapezoidal plug. I don't think I have ever encountered a type-A micro cable before.

Type-C cannot become more common soon enough.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Edward IV posted:

Nope. I was using the provided type-B micro cable with the typical trapezoidal plug. I don't think I have ever encountered a type-A micro cable before.
Well, then allow me to belatedly join in on the "gently caress Dell" sentiment. That's just not right.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I learned a few things getting my Yoga 2 appraised at Best Buy today. First is that that they'll only take devices that are in their trade in system which my Yoga 2 was not. That's Despite the fact that I bought that Yoga 2 at the same Best Buy a few months ago. I guess I'll just sell it.

Second is that for the Surface Pro 3 deal, you get a minimum of $50 gift card for each tablet traded in with a max trade in of two. If the trade in value is greater than $50, you get a gift card with the value of the trade in instead of $50. This may actually be a good way for me to unload my Nexus 7 (2013) since they only seem to go for less than $200 on eBay and Amazon. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I want a Surface Pro 3.

I also got a chance to play with the Surface 3 and I like what I saw. It looks small enough to fit in my camera bag (roughly the same size as the Yoga 2) and was very snappy when I used it. It has a nicer build quality than my Yoga 2 and the benchmarks are slightly better as well but not amazingly better. The only thing the S3 is missing compared to the Yoga is that the Yoga does have GPS. While the LTE models of the Surface 3 will have GPS, they're $100 more, won't come out until midsummer, and I can get USB GPS unit for much less. Plus, I don't plan on getting data plan if I did get the LTE model.

The SP3 would barely fit in the bag, has a shorter battery life, uses a proprietary charger, and the 128 GB model is pretty expensive. However the SP3 doesn't have that much worse battery life, is a lot more powerful and faster, has a more flexible stand, and has been on the market long enough that most of its bugs have been worked out.

I'm still a little torn but I think I will get 128 GB Surface 3 and go through the hassle of selling the tablets I no longer use. Also, the Venue 8 looks relatively painless to service (no glues or specialized tools to deal with) so I might try some solder magic and replace the rectangular micro-USB port with a proper trapezoidal micro-USB port though I could be in over my head.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Would there be any concerns purchasing a SP2 new off amazon? Do the batteries degrade without use?

I'm looking to pick up something for school that's also capable of running Diablo 3, and I love the concept of using the pen for note taking. I also don't have infinite funds, and a SP3 doesn't look like a big enough leap to justify the expense.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Psyker posted:

Would there be any concerns purchasing a SP2 new off amazon? Do the batteries degrade without use?

I'm looking to pick up something for school that's also capable of running Diablo 3, and I love the concept of using the pen for note taking. I also don't have infinite funds, and a SP3 doesn't look like a big enough leap to justify the expense.

The SP3 is a big leap, what's the price the SP2 is going for?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Psyker posted:

Have you thought about the non pro surface 3?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Stick100 posted:

The SP3 is a big leap, what's the price the SP2 is going for?

$700 for a 256gb. I don't see a huge leap between the 2 and 3 though. Internals are similar, screen is better on the 3 but having 1080p on the 2 is plenty for me.

Sri.Theo posted:

Have you thought about the non pro surface 3?

I have, but it can't handle light gaming really. Looking for things for downtime between classes. Also for a non-SP3, you're looking at $599 + $49 pen + $129 for a typecover. I can pick up an SP2 for $700 and get a power cover for $60. In a nutshell, same price both ways and the SP2 has better guts than the S3.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it's a simple as 'better guts'.

It's more along the lines of the SP2 has less throttling which is sweet for gamers but for people doing work on it solely, the throttling means less fan spin up and less heat or something like that. Without looking it up I'd guess the architecture of the CPU in the SP3 is newer than the SP2 and as that's also your GPU.. that matters. It's just that the SP3 is a more evolved mobile device.. I've also read a bit about disabling the throttling. Haven't tried it though.

But as you're probably talking Office and then as many frames as you can get in Diablo, from all I've read so far the SP2 is probably the choice. That battery cover is sweet too.. waiting for that to be released for the SP3.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Tony Montana posted:

That battery cover is sweet too.. waiting for that to be released for the SP3.

It doesn't seem like they're coming out with one any time soon since we're nearing the end of the SP3 lifecycle (presumably they're going to introduce a new Surface Pro with the Windows 10 release). I wish they would though, it would make the Surface so much more compelling. I guess it would be harder to implement now that the type covers have that extra angling magnet bit.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm just hoping for something to replace my Dell Venue 8 Pro. The pen support is a joke in comparison to Surface and the best I can say about it as a tablet is "the battery life is better than the iPad". The iOS home screen is gigantic waste compared to the Start screen but those 32GB iPad mini 2's are looking really nice.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

MY GIRLFRIEND needs a new laptop and had also mentioned that she wants a tablet. I'm wondering if tablets have gotten to the point of being usable for word/excel/PowerPoint if you have a keyboard and mouse. Other use besides office would be YouTube/Netflix and internet browsing.

What would be done recommended products?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Surface 3 is probably your best choice as it's the only thing that gets close to iPad weight that I would want to do actual work on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Any Windows tablet with a 10" screen or bigger will do the job for you. The Surface 3 is nice but pricey, so maybe an Encore Write 10? Then grab yourself a keyboard cover and you're good to go.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The general principle of using a tablet as a computer is sound at this point in technology?

edit: how are the Lenovo windows tablets? Are the outlet store ones decent?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 22, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Massasoit posted:

The general principle of using a tablet as a computer is sound at this point in technology?
The experience still varies greatly depending upon the device. YMMV

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Massasoit posted:

edit: how are the Lenovo windows tablets? Are the outlet store ones decent?

I bought a 13 inch one from Lenovo's outlet and it's been good so far. I was having an issue with the Bluetooth keyboard disconnecting every once in awhile but that seems to have gone away for the most part. And I figured out the issue with the not charging while turned on, you have to use the correct USB cable. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/yoga-series/yoga-tablet-2-1371/documents/HT101633?tabName=Solutions

And the build quality seems way higher than what you would get on a tablet like the Acer Switch 10.

- edit Here's my trip report I posted when it first came in. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698422&userid=88471&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post443910314

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 23, 2015

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
You guys think Surface Pro 4 will be at //BUILD/ ?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I might be in the mood to sell my Yoga 8" Any Pen.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-tablet-series/yoga-tablet-2-win-8/

It's almost unused and I still have the Office code. $250 shipped in the USA. I'll post pictures on request.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

EAB posted:

You guys think Surface Pro 4 will be at //BUILD/ ?

I was hoping, but has been entertaining watching tech blogs slowly melt down as the developer oriented keynote continues:

http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-build-2015-live-blog/?_ga=1.209191186.1428572511.1412019591#/entry/70028/175000

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/29/build-2015-liveblog/#!post=77102

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

How do these morons get jobs covering things they don't understand?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I finally got around to disassembling my Venue 8 Pro in preparation for replacing the broken micro USB port only to discover that the port is laid out differently from most of the ports I found on Amazon. While a lot of the ports on Amazon have the contact pins and mounting points on the narrow side of the port, the contact pins and mounting points on the Dell are on what would be the wide side of the port if that makes any sense. Basically, it seems like another case of Dell trying to be a special snowflake. :downs: Or it's the stupidity that is a type-A micro port.

I have to make sure that I get the right one or I'll end up with a reversed pin layout. Some of the ports on Amazon claim to be a 180 degree type even though the product image doesn't seem to be any different from a normal type. It could be that the photo is incorrect and those 180 degree ports are what I want. I'll probably buy both types and a micro USB plug with soldering points so I can use a voltmeter to compare the old socket with the new socket.

EDIT: With there being no consistent mounting points I can use, I may just have to replace the port with the OEM replacement part and just be careful from now on. Or just sell it and it can be the next owner's problem.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I've been considering a Surface 3, but then I read this on Laptop Mag's review:

quote:

Whereas the Surface Pro 3 uses a blazing-fast SSD, the Surface 3 uses eMMC memory storage that's no quicker than a hard drive. It took the Surface 3 a mediocre 2 minutes and 31 seconds to complete the Laptop File Transfer Test, which involves copying 4.97GB of mixed media files. That's a rate of 33.7 MBps, which is less than a quarter of the Surface Pro 3's speed (145.4 MBps) and well behind the category average (59.1 MBps).
I don't care about file transfer speeds so much as boot time and general snappiness. Coming from a desktop where the switch to SSD made the entire experience completely different, quick loading is one thing I wouldn't want to compromise.

Unless the reviewer is overstating the difference between an SSD and eMMC, I'm going to wait for more hands-on reports about drive speed.

• Locked thread