Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Goddammit. Now have to pre-order some ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
How are others experiences with the Cleveland?
Are you racking a lot of citadels on BBs, or do you score those 1-4000 points per salvo as I seem to do?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Daktari posted:

Are you racking a lot of citadels on BBs, or do you score those 1-4000 points per salvo as I seem to do?

Citadels are rare in a cleveland except against lower tier light cruisers. It's all about piling on scratch damage.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Daktari posted:

Cleveland can't do citadel hits against any BB, they're it's hard counter. You can blender most cruisers, oneshot destroyers and you're the closest thing to decent AA available at that tier.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Cleveland will murder planes even a tier or two higher, especially if you choose the AA range upgrade. But really, any American CA above Tier V will chew through planes at or even above its tier.

Had a very fun game on Sunday, I think, Sims division and a couple of pubbie DD tagalongs. We 1000 cut a Cleveland to death and nobody fired a torpedo at it.

Anyone have any idea when Open Beta hits? I want to burn through my free xp before it all gets wiped.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Asehujiko posted:

Cleveland can't do citadel hits against any BB, they're it's hard counter. You can blender most cruisers, oneshot destroyers and you're the closest thing to decent AA available at that tier.

Cleveland can chip damage any BB lower than a fuso to death with relative ease in a 1v1 with maneuver room. Stay at around 10 km minimize the amount of time the BB has to shoot at a flat side, dance like your life depends on it, aim high, and for turrets.

I also find it a good idea to swap to HE until she burns, whenever she is not burning.

One, it will cause dumb players to blow their repairs. Then we you get a gun kill its stays dead.
Two, it makes it simple to tell if they have blown their repairs. Letting you know you need to star over with the whack a turret game.
Three, more dots.

Don't gently caress with the fuso the shot gun effect is deadly when it only takes one pelt, Nagato, Amagi are far simpler to fight as their captains need to be able to aim to kill you.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
FINALLY

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/

I had to buy my way into the closed beta, but it's gonna be worth it. I'm tired of seeing this game and not playing it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Own a Cleveland?
Step one: shoot HE and set poo poo on fire.
Step two: switch to AP and fire a salvo at your quarry who likely blew its repair kit because of said fire in step one.
Step three: load HE again and try to lite the fucker on fire again because now they don't have a repair available.
Step four: play Burn by Ellie Goulding, preferably the dubstep version and ask the person if they used their repair kit as they burn down in flames. Bonus if you manage to light larger ships in multiple areas watching the funeral pyre burn brightly.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What? Is that how the turrets get knocked out? You use a repair and suddenly your turrets can be taken out for the whole game?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What? Is that how the turrets get knocked out? You use a repair and suddenly your turrets can be taken out for the whole game?

No, iirc, hits knock them out temporarily, and penetrations total them.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

xthetenth posted:

No, iirc, hits knock them out temporarily, and penetrations total them.

As I climb up the tiers, pens have been happening more or more often. I've been finding myself in a castrated Pensacola trying to ram things before I get blown up.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

In 1947, this is what the Swedish navy figured a guided missile cruiser's missile launch system might look like in the future. It's funny how they just took what they knew (the twin gun turret) and replaced the guns with launch ramps.

Complete ship proposals, one with guns and one with missiles:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If people are starting to get extra keys, I'll go back through the thread and update the big list.

I'll try to have it up later today.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Hahahaha, the servers are overloaded because of all the pre-orders. :allears:

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Magni posted:

Hahahaha, the servers are overloaded because of all the pre-orders. :allears:

haha yeah took just a bit over 30 minutes to download first 5.5 gigs, this last .5 has taken over an hour.

By the way, they just flag the Wo* account as a beta tester, you don't get sent a key so if you were already in and pre-ordered a bundle you dont get another CBT key.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 14, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The best thing about this game is doing 54.9k damage to a fuso, and then having someone come by and snipe the last 150 life, and get more xp and credits than you do.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
That's why I always shoot my guns when I'm driving my Destroyer. That 100 hp kill shot always makes the game more fun.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

haha yeah took just a bit over 30 minutes to download first 5.5 gigs, this last .5 has taken over an hour.

By the way, they just flag the Wo* account as a beta tester, you don't get sent a key so if you were already in and pre-ordered a bundle you dont get another CBT key.

I've been playing the CBT since it came out and got the Sims package. WG emailed me key yesterday anyway. I would give it away, but don't know if that would screw up my access.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My Lexington went up alone against two Rangers who both had the fighter heavy configuration. My one fighter squad didn't really do well in a 6 vs 1 despite the superior quality but I still managed to land some torp hits so all their work accomplished nothing. In fact less than nothing and possibly actively bad as they had two useless ships which countered one (mine) that still managed to be a little useful.

Oh and I went into a game against some poor bastard in the tier 5 carrier. 3 tier difference on the fighters. When they clashed his died faster than if they had dived into the ground.

Lost both those games of course, my team just melted like ice bergs in the tropics.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 14, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I gave the aim assist mod a try and holy moly is it helpful. In fact, it's basically mandatory for me now because it is based on the ships ACTUAL position, not their position on the screen. So if the graphics desync (a persistent bug through the CBT) it's no longer an issue.

I'd advise going through the early tiers without it though, the indicator isn't always right and you need a sense of where to shoot in those cases.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's already an aim-mod before the game is even out of Closed Beta? The WoT style decline begins! :tinfoil:

What's the aim mod do? Give you a lead indicator for your guns or an SPG style line to show you the path to the target or something?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zaodai posted:

There's already an aim-mod before the game is even out of Closed Beta? The WoT style decline begins! :tinfoil:

What's the aim mod do? Give you a lead indicator for your guns or an SPG style line to show you the path to the target or something?

It draws an x on the exact center of the enemy ship, and then draws a line that is based on their heading/speed and the time it takes for your shot to land, it then puts a second x at that point.

If they continue at the exact speed and heading and you aim for the second x, your shots will be centered around the enemy ship.

It doesn't work well if the enemy varies their speed/heading so you should always be zigzagging.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh, and the reason I mentioned you should try it is that apparently the EU forum mods said it was legal.

Which...okay, might as well then I guess.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It draws an x on the exact center of the enemy ship, and then draws a line that is based on their heading/speed and the time it takes for your shot to land, it then puts a second x at that point.

If they continue at the exact speed and heading and you aim for the second x, your shots will be centered around the enemy ship.

It doesn't work well if the enemy varies their speed/heading so you should always be zigzagging.

Wow. That's kinda busted. Wargaming.net: Where effort is for suckers.

Just another reason to play zig-zag destoyerman!

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'm having pretty good luck with the Aoba. People usually ignore me and I get huge citidel hits against things other than destroyers... which is pretty much the opposite of my experience with the Cleveland.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aoba is quite nice.

Anyone got a link to that aim mod? I am seeing it used more and more and well, gently caress it, I needs it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Burt posted:

Aoba is quite nice.

Anyone got a link to that aim mod? I am seeing it used more and more and well, gently caress it, I needs it.

Here you go!

http://pkwot.blogspot.ca/2015/04/world-of-warships-aimbot-huge-thanks-to.html

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you're joining the CBT now, be sure to get in the Goons channel and the Vent server. Platooning is OP as gently caress.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vengarr posted:

If you're joining the CBT now, be sure to get in the Goons channel and the Vent server. Platooning is OP as gently caress.

I find that even if you're playing with lovely people, you're going to be more motivated to play it safe and stay alive. That leads to winning games.

Edit:

lovely as in, not good at games. Goons are cool as gently caress mostly.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So I think I got the disappearing ship bug someone was talking about earlier. My camera became unstuck, and my Penscola drove off into the sunset on it's own, I Ctrl-Alt-Del'd out of the game hoping to get back in and it's been in battle ever since.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Infidelicious posted:

So I think I got the disappearing ship bug someone was talking about earlier. My camera became unstuck, and my Penscola drove off into the sunset on it's own, I Ctrl-Alt-Del'd out of the game hoping to get back in and it's been in battle ever since.

Definitely make a report on the forums.

It'll probably only be fixed when the server reboots tomorrow morning, but let em know about it anyway.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
With the 5 free ship slots from spaceships, I'm looking forward to rebuying a Wakatake, Kuma, and Omaha tommorrow to beat up on new people. People love the St. Louis and Cleveland, but Omaha is my favorite US cruiser. 8x1 and 2x2 main guns means it has more guns than the St. Louis plus it can go 34 knots plus it has 5.5km range torpedoes. So much fun.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Always nice to meet another goon division in-game.

And then sink them. :smuggo: TS was fun because they were on the same channel. Had a hearty laugh when bulb realised I was coming to the same flank and decided that they should GTFO because their BB pubbies were not likely to stop me. :haw:

Also, had a match in the New Orleans that was the botes version of playing Touhou. Enemy capping in encounter and it's a smoke cloud in the cap, so I decide to go and whack the DD. Except it wasn't one DD. It was two. And a Kitakami. :stonklol: So, that was kinda fun dodging like 80 torps in a clusterfuck of a turning fight and scrapping one DD and the Kita before a BB wandered over and nuked me while I was dodging the last wave.

Magni fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 15, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I haven't seen a Kitakami pull its weight yet but I did have a late night game where both teams had three kitakami. They didn't end up amounting to much but it was goddamn terrifying to even be near them.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Folks who were in CBT before today -- make sure to dismiss or retrain the commanders off of your space boats, because your commander reserves will be otherwise full. There's a risk of accidentally dismissing a commander from a real-tier boat that you were going to transfer and retrain to a higher-tier vessel if you try to sell the lower-tier ship.

I am not speaking from experience, but hearing a pubbie complain about it brought a smile to my face. :)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looks like they're just now starting to apply CBT access to people who ordered yesterday--I can finally download the game and whatever. I didn't get a key, it was just applied to my account

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Just unlocked my Yamato (again).

Also, Iwaki OP:

Kumas (and by extension, Kitakamis) are ridiculously easy to citadel.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

This wasn't a particularly spectacular game by non-pubbie standards, but the highlights included dive bombers actually hitting and letting me finish off a destroyer as the first kill of the game, dropping smoke to cover a pub's escape from grounding on an island, actual teamwork in chat, gunning a Kitakami down because Kitakamis suck, and a super-narrow 1002-to-996 Domination score at the end. :unsmith:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

My desktop is now complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rossmum posted:

Kumas (and by extension, Kitakamis) are ridiculously easy to citadel.

Japanese light citadels are pretty pants, yeah.

Also I wasn't kidding when I ran into you and said I was lagging more, I was spiking to four seconds. Dodging future torps with a past boat is pretty hard.