Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Based on what I have read, traffic is not figured into routes for traffic, only speed and distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Personally, I'd like to see some traffic accidents in dangerous junctions and stuff. It's too good to avoid traffic lights entirely when in reality you need that stuff to stop people from killing themselves most of the time.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

If they added disasters to the game minor traffic accidents would be the worst thing imaginable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd love to see some twists on pathing algorithms for different demographics, like retirees avoid highways, a portion of the population takes the shortest route by distance, if you legalize weed you get joy riders on the side streets.

xzzy posted:

The AI seems decently able to handle the various lane customization mods that are in development, so maybe all that's necessary is some kind of watchdog in the game that detects when a lane is at a complete standstill and marks that lane as closed for pathfinding. The data is already in there as they use the same information for the traffic overlay. I don't know what their pathfinding algorithm has access to but it seems like a workable concept.

That way cars would just overflow into empty lanes. Could generate a lot of path-extending reroutes but that might be a good penalty for having a bad network.
That would just make a bigger traffic jam. Using more lanes doesn't actually fix a bottleneck because all those cars still have to come back together to make it through the bottleneck.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 14, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Car crash because an ambulance merged in front of me #fuckyoumayor
What's going on, there's a fleet of ambulances ahead all crashing into cars? #learn2drive
Why is there a line of cars to my house? #shittyplanning
Please send help, stuck in traffic for days, no food or water just offices for miles. #nohope

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

zedprime posted:

That would just make a bigger traffic jam. Using more lanes doesn't actually fix a bottleneck because all those cars still have to come back together to make it through the bottleneck.

Not necessarily, if the next exit also offers a route to whatever that vehicle's destination was it might work out okay. I mean yes the bottleneck will still be there, but as long as cars clump in one lane and refuse to do anything else there's absolutely no options for the player to make an attempt to fix it.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

xzzy posted:

The AI seems decently able to handle the various lane customization mods that are in development, so maybe all that's necessary is some kind of watchdog in the game that detects when a lane is at a complete standstill and marks that lane as closed for pathfinding. The data is already in there as they use the same information for the traffic overlay. I don't know what their pathfinding algorithm has access to but it seems like a workable concept.

That way cars would just overflow into empty lanes. Could generate a lot of path-extending reroutes but that might be a good penalty for having a bad network.

I wonder how effective this would be for long distance commuters? If they AI determines the entire route when they leave (assuming this includes lanes) they'd pick the best lane at the time of leaving their source location, but not necessarily the best lane when they get to that particular segment.

e: I guess either way it would help

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

popewiles posted:

The cargo will move around in your city on the rail to get as close as it can to where it needs to go.

On the topic of freight trains: Where do you guys put your freight train stations? So far I've put mine near industrial areas near a good highway connection, but after watching and following a few trucks, there's a fair amount that leave the station and drive a long way to my commercial zones. Is it a good idea to put one near commercial? I'm not sure if they're more beneficial for industry looking to export or for my commercial to import, or maybe I can use them to fast track goods from my industry to my commercial?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I put things wherever they look prettiest.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

:allears:

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

"Batman Park" !

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fully animated golf courses please.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Owns. I assume it's a ploppable?

Though the entrance ramp has comically tight turns, gonna be a lot of shredded car doors.

It would be awesome if it could be a growable, it gets taller and accepts more cars as it upgrades.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

All I want is 4 lane roads where the median stays there always, so you can create side roads only accessible from one side of the 4 lane.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
A work around to that would be to use the lane changer no left/right turns mod. It won't look right visually, but it will function.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

All I want is 4 lane roads where the median stays there always, so you can create side roads only accessible from one side of the 4 lane.
Me too. Me too.

I suspect we will get "mods for that" in a bit. :)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I want to be able to make these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left

Weed out the out-of-town cims :getin:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

xzzy posted:

Owns. I assume it's a ploppable?

Though the entrance ramp has comically tight turns, gonna be a lot of shredded car doors.

It would be awesome if it could be a growable, it gets taller and accepts more cars as it upgrades.

Yeah it's a "park", checked in the workshop and it was the highest rated in the last week and right in my face, so I opted for it.

Of course, people don't drive up the ramps or anything, but they do park in it, in the usual Cim way of just driving through ghost walls.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I started a new city.

Grid layout because gently caress creativity.
Where can I put commercial so traffic doesn't get absolutely terrible later? Right next to industry or completely separate from industry and residential?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GrossMurpel posted:

I started a new city.

Where can I put commercial so traffic doesn't get absolutely terrible later? Right next to industry or completely separate from industry and residential?
The optimum answer is distributed on trunk roads because it attracts traffic from cross region so keeping it on trunks keeps it easy access to and from regional arteries.

Challenge mode is shopping mall style taking up whole blocks or a small city of its own.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Subyng posted:

A work around to that would be to use the lane changer no left/right turns mod. It won't look right visually, but it will function.

I tend to just use two parallel one way two-lanes if I really need to do it, but it's a bit difficult to get them to turn back into a 4 lane without looking super dumb

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Try capping your separated one-ways with semi circular roads, then attach your 4lanes to the ends of those semi-circles. That gives a pretty decent looking effect, I find.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subyng posted:

Try capping your separated one-ways with semi circular roads, then attach your 4lanes to the ends of those semi-circles. That gives a pretty decent looking effect, I find.

This is how I would set up new city connections, but the map creator only allows highways and onramps. :smith:

I guess you could cheese it with a semi-circle chunk of highway but that doesn't really fit with any established convention.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I started a new city.

This is a bad question. Put it wherever and if poo poo gets hosed up, figure out why and move it. Cities aren't immutable. At your current scale, you can't gently caress things up unless you were trying. When you expand enough for it to be an issue, it depends way more on where you put other stuff than where your commercial is now.

That said, I tend to sprinkle commercial all along the main roads to start, out of habit.

zedprime posted:

The optimum answer is distributed on trunk roads because it attracts traffic from cross region so keeping it on trunks keeps it easy access to and from regional arteries.

Challenge mode is shopping mall style taking up whole blocks or a small city of its own.
Fun experiment I did once- I filled a pretty large island pretty far away from my main city with nothing but high density commercial. People gave no shits about the distance and all went shopping and working there, even though the bridge was like five or six suspension spans.

The traffic on the bridge is pretty hardcore, but never backs up 'cause the only access was from the main highway through town, with a really high capacity interchange. Considering distance is no issue to cims, it was functionally identical to making it right off the highway with a dedicated exit.

Lesson learned: If a traffic producing/consuming area is giving you trouble (industrial, dense commercial), isolate it and plow a bypass through your city to it from the closest highway. The commute may end up being really long and silly, but the traffic will be fine.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
This game is consuming my life and it's amazing.

I am not very good at traffic, apparently. So I've come for some help because from reading this entire thread I've come to the conclusion that some of you are wizards.

This is the current area of expansion in my ~26,000 population city, when you see red it isn't because of heavy traffic, this is backed up and has effectively taken control of the rest of my highway network thus far, which up to this point was working beautifully.

North Central was developed a bit before Central, and at first Central was getting a bit hectic but I managed to alleviate the problems with a decent enough one way system. Then I added south central and it all went to poo poo. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem, or am I best off just bulldozing the entire area, expanding my highway further beyond The Hub, looping back around and then starting again building north from a southern highway? I feel like I have too many ramps off of the highway here, which is probably the case. But I've hosed around with adding and removing them in all sorts of ways and nothing is working. I've also let this run its course for about 6 months in game time to see if each change I've made has actually had an effect before finally throwing in the towel.

Also for reference, here is the one way system that I currently have in place.

If anyone can help please help, that would be helpful.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Do you have cargo rail?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know, maybe try turning some of those one-ways into two way streets, and adding some new connections might take the strain off that overloaded highway.

What kind of stuff is all that? It's hard to judge the best solutions to the traffic problem with JUST the traffic view.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
In a couple places you've got offramps that occur right after onramps, which is tricky because of "weaving" — the on-merging cars and the exiting cars have to swap lanes in a short amount of time.

It took me a while to grok your layout because you've lined your highway with two one-way frontage roads, except when you exit the highway you're put onto a road that makes you go the opposite direction.

But, yeah, I think we need some more screenshots, or even a video flyover, to give more specific advice.

Edit: I'm noticing that there are lots of places in your city where you have to take a bizarre route to get somewhere that is pretty close as the crow flies. I would go for better connectivity in general so that people don't have to get on that highway to go anywhere.

savetheclocktower fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 15, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Where is all that highway traffic even going? You say the flow is broken but there's no telltale long lines of cars at offramp lights or lines of cars trying to merge before or after an onramp.

Just from a gut feeling I'd also agree there are some dangerous one way streets going on, there should be some way to get everywhere on the same level of the network. It looks like there's no easy way to get to the northwest of south central without finding your way to the highway.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

1600 MW

I'm sure nothing will come of this in the future. It's smooth sailing from here on out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've got a city going on that Tenasi map, which is pretty cool, the range of elevations makes for some interesting decision making (and some big fuckoff dams :getin: - EDIT: OK, not as big fuckoff as in the post above.) but I seem to have an issue with it. Businesses are closing because they can't get goods, my industrial zones (one timber, one general) have facilities closing because they can't get raw materials, so it's probably the same issue.

Traffic flow around town is fine, there shouldn't be any issue with that, and I have two cargo terminals plonked right next to the factory zones.

My theory is that the Tenasi map only uses two highway connections (most of the stock maps use the maximum four), and I've had that issue with trains banking up from the edge of the map, so it could be that there just isn't enough supply trucks or trains coming from the connections.

Anyway I finally broke the seal and cracked out some mods and the FPS one is fantastic. Gives you a real feel for the town you've built. Except it makes me a bit woozy watching it sometimes.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I went and did some work on Springfield tonight which I think has helped with the problem I had.

1. I downgraded the Memorial bridge and Memorial Ave from a 6-lane to a 4-lane. This has a side effect of moving some traffic on to nearby State Street, but such is life. The bridge is not completely bottlenecked anymore which is a fair tradeoff.

2. I realized that my frontage roads for I-91 were wrong. Fixed them to be two-lane one ways like they should have been.

3. I was missing some U-turn ramps (Texas U-turns I guess you'd call them) at certain points from the frontage roads that were there on the actual highway. Added those which eased things up.

4. I finally created a proper subway system and not the half-assed one that I had before, and this helped considerably.

5. I upgraded and rerouted a few roads to help pathing.

So, overall, some traffic problems fixed, other ones crop up, but I pin most of them on the fact that I didn't develop the town right in the first place. I should have built it up around 291, but I was too eager to get Downtown and the main residential area, leaving my highway network underutilized.

Looking up the river. I decided to make the West Springfield water treatment plant into a solar power plant area. This worked well. :v:

West Springfield. The BIg E, the town, and even Riverdale street up north are fairly built.

Aerial view of downtown, looking down State Street.

A closer view, showing the MassMutual center (stadium, for now), and the Quadrangle. I dumped a couple museums to try to recreate the Quadrangle. It worked I guess.

Now that I've built Agawam, the Rotary now has all the same ramps and roads leading into it. Watching traffic go around this is mesmerizing. Don't let this still fool you, There can be occasional periods of really heavy traffic where it backs up on Route 5 but it appears to be cyclical.

I-291 and I-91 interchange. It has a lot of traffic but no backups, which is impressive.

Traffic in downtown and the surrounding area. This is pretty much like the real deal. :allears:

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 15, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kefkafloyd posted:

Traffic in downtown and the surrounding area. This is pretty much like the real deal. :allears:

I'm not surprised to find that Massachusetts drivers have the same level of driving ability as a computer game :smugdog:

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

kemikalkadet posted:

On the topic of freight trains: Where do you guys put your freight train stations? So far I've put mine near industrial areas near a good highway connection, but after watching and following a few trucks, there's a fair amount that leave the station and drive a long way to my commercial zones. Is it a good idea to put one near commercial? I'm not sure if they're more beneficial for industry looking to export or for my commercial to import, or maybe I can use them to fast track goods from my industry to my commercial?

It can be beneficial to put a freight train station in a major commercial district as that will alleviate a lot of the freight traffic moving to/from your industrial zones. However the station itself will have a lot of freight traffic pouring out every time a train comes in. For that reason it is helpful to put a station in a place that has good access throughout the commercial district, but not necessarily smack dab in the middle where the trucks will interfere with the ordinary traffic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can dams catch fire? Just asking for REASONS.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kemikalkadet posted:

Yeah, use freight rail to get cargo to commercial, too. Plop the station under a 'no heavy traffic' ordinance so only little delivery vans pop out instead of a bunch of trucks.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, use freight rail to get cargo to commercial, too. Plop the station under a 'no heavy traffic' ordinance so only little delivery vans pop out instead of a bunch of trucks.

Good tip. And yeah, I put a station on the edge of my main commercial area with a good road connection and it's fixed a lot of traffic problems. Previously I had loads of jams from deliveries travelling west to east from my industry to commercial. now it's split between west to east from the industrial zone and north to south from the train station.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having a "car crash" event that is resolved with a combined response of one cop car, one ambulance and one fire truck would be awesommeeeeeee.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Car chases. Smoother your traffic, the longer the perp can run for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp there goes my industry again.