Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol laguardia was such a shithole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

taxi unions don't give a poo poo

they're the reason you can't take a train direct from Penn to GCT tho right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jfk is mostly international/transcontinental so if you're flying into nyc from east of the mississippi its most likely going to be lga

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i've only been to laguardia for connection flights, so i've never had to leave the airport by ground. that's the way to do it imo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

new york city's transit stuff is run by state-level agencies. so hicks from hundreds of miles upstate and fuckstick politicians in new jersey decide whether or not to build services for nyc

this works out exactly as well as you might expect

same thing in boston. the t gets defunded because shitlords from the rear end-end of the state don't want THEIR TAXES going to benefit the only real civilized area in the state

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shaggar posted:

large cities are massively hosed up places. altho small cities like to get in on the stupidity too. ex: Portland recently created the position of mayor for no reason other than to have someone w/ that title that costs money. also they just added a 5c bag tax which is huge bullshit.

Also they vote against fluoride in the water system.

and they have a lovely soccer team

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

all nostalgia is inherently depressing b/c it implies that the present is unsatisfying compared to the past

seealso: the good old days

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

idk they're great for getting to the airport without a car

NYC get it together and build a train to your loving airports

Jonny 290 posted:

hahaha wait there's no rail to the airports there?

laguardia ain't never getting a rail connection because its in a horrible location and frankly shouldn't still be open.

newark and jfk have rail connections out to commuter lines and in the case of jfk directly to 3 different subway lines

don't know what notorious bsd is ranting about with them taking "too long" you can be in midtown from newark airport in about 35 minutes (normally driving during the day would take like 31 minutes so big whoop) and from jfk to midtown in 42 minutes which would be like a 50 minute drive most of the day. shickingly enough you can't go like 16+ miles though a heavily populated city and surrounds all that fast.

Munkeymon posted:

uh that's because there's no fuckin tunnel there, chief, and to build one you'd have to tunnel under and over like 3 or 4 subway lines

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

i doubt it

it's a 4 minute trip from penn to gct, with a transfer in the middle. who would want to spend the money to build a rail link to make a 4 minute trip shorter?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

don't know what notorious bsd is ranting about with them taking "too long" you can be in midtown from newark airport in about 35 minutes (normally driving during the day would take like 31 minutes so big whoop) and from jfk to midtown in 42 minutes which would be like a 50 minute drive most of the day. shickingly enough you can't go like 16+ miles though a heavily populated city and surrounds all that fast.

it takes me 15-20 minutes to get from jfk to my house by car, or roughly an hour to make the same trip by rail. the rail is not real appealing

there are lots of reasons for this

• the airtrain loop itself is super slow
  • all the nyc transit runs into manhattan and back out
  • it's nearly impossible to NOT miss your commuter rail connection at jamaica

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

ex: Portland recently created the position of mayor for no reason other than to have someone w/ that title that costs money.

lmao @ the "real" portland

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I watched some pprtlandia season 4 last night

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the taxi unions are super strong in NYC and have blocked any trains to the airports. well there's one that has like a super slow skytrain kind of thing.

it used to piss me off so much flying from nola to laguardia and back b/c both places require a taxi and goddamnit that's so dumb

at least in nyc you can get p cheap car services or just fly into newark and take the rail in/out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's like nobody actually reads posts in this thread

hp hovercraft is the third? fourth? person to read a dumb post and assume that it is true

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's like nobody actually reads posts in this thread

hp hovercraft is the third? fourth? person to read a dumb post and assume that it is true

dude you're gonna be flyin into laguardia if you're coming from new orleans and that's a fact jack

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the bus system is so bad, being near a subway stop doubles your land value
the bus system is so bad, bus ridership is falling while the subway sets records
the bus system is so bad, people prefer to drive in nyc traffic.

a significant fraction of people hate the bus system so much they spend time and money on a car, maintenance, and parking on both ends

nah thats still good old fashioned classism

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Share Bear posted:

nah thats still good old fashioned classism

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also jfk is easy as hell to get to and from to, your choices are limited by budget and time

still sucks that the airtrain is loving $5 on top though instead of free like it used to be with a transfer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i always get snedded to laguardia. my penalty for lifehacking the priceline name your price at $129.00. sum1 told me thats the secret trick to getting cheap fares and well so far its suited my kneeds

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

there is a bus that goes to/from laguardia on regular schedules but it goes through... h.h.h....harlem!!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

newark and jfk have rail connections out to commuter lines and in the case of jfk directly to 3 different subway lines

you have an interesting definition of "directly"

also the average time from midtown to jfk is 40 minutes. the actual amount of time could be 30-80 minutes, which isn't great for catching flights.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Share Bear posted:

there is a bus that goes to/from laguardia on regular schedules but it goes through... h.h.h....harlem!!!

it too is slow as poo poo and unreliable

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it takes me 15-20 minutes to get from jfk to my house by car, or roughly an hour to make the same trip by rail. the rail is not real appealing

there are lots of reasons for this

• the airtrain loop itself is super slow
  • all the nyc transit runs into manhattan and back out
  • it's nearly impossible to NOT miss your commuter rail connection at jamaica

so like you live on long island or something? no poo poo you don't get good service to jfk.

theflyingexecutive posted:

you have an interesting definition of "directly"

also the average time from midtown to jfk is 40 minutes. the actual amount of time could be 30-80 minutes, which isn't great for catching flights.

A on the howard beach end, J/Z and E at the Jamaica end. it's direct as gently caress.

also as if taking a taxi aint gonna be even more variable at peak times and cost more than twice as much lol.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i doubt it

it's a 4 minute trip from penn to gct, with a transfer in the middle. who would want to spend the money to build a rail link to make a 4 minute trip shorter?

huh - I thought it was way longer last time I checked

good to know

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
take the train to midway get through security in 15 min hop on a direct flight thanks chicago transit authority

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

anyway, silicon valley was great and you should be discussing that, or the other poo poo going on in the valley and not trains you spergs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
silicon valley is great

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

huh - I thought it was way longer last time I checked

good to know

yeah they're like 3 blocks across and 8 blocks down from each other.

not having connecting service only used to be a problem because some amtrak long distance trains terminated at GCT while others stopped at penn, but they made direct access to penn so now no amtrak trains need to stop at GCT and the problem's solved.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

so like you live on long island or something? no poo poo you don't get good service to jfk.

i live in the five boroughs

the commuter rail connection is just faster for most people than getting off at howard beach. i deliberately chose the fastest option as my comparison. rail is just a slow way to get in/out of jfk.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 14, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Share Bear posted:

that's the bus where people go to live out the rest of their natural lifespans. get on at lga, get buried somewhere in queens, decades later.

also harlem is full of rich people now

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the bus where people go to live out the rest of their natural lifespans. get on at lga, get buried somewhere in queens, decades later.

also harlem is full of rich people now

sooo you live in like flushing, maybe. or little neck. no closer in then like corona tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

silicon valley is great

silicon valley is full of plangers shaggar

worse yet, cyclists

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

sooo you live in like flushing, maybe. or little neck. no closer in then like corona tho

i'm surprised that someone so obsessed with trains is so bad at reading train maps

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

A on the howard beach end, J/Z and E at the Jamaica end. it's direct as gently caress.

also as if taking a taxi aint gonna be even more variable at peak times and cost more than twice as much lol.

yeah that's where you have to connect to the (slow and infrequent) airtrain. the a doesn't drop you off at a terminal

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Tatsujin posted:

take the train to midway get through security in 15 min hop on a direct flight thanks chicago transit authority

the southwest/midway/orange line trifecta :worship:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

taxi unions don't give a poo poo

it's landowners. rich people in queens won't stand for it.

as a person who was born and raised in Queens, I'd be 110% ok with it being nuked off the face of the planet.

That anybody willingly continues to live there boggles my mind and when I visit at Christmas I literally don't stop counting the seconds until I can get the gently caress out of there.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

as a person who was born and raised in Queens, I'd be 110% ok with it being nuked off the face of the planet.

That anybody willingly continues to live there boggles my mind and when I visit at Christmas I literally don't stop counting the seconds until I can get the gently caress out of there.

i think this describes how everyone who leaves feels about their hometown

you just happened to leave queens, ny

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

carry on then posted:

lol laguardia was such a shithole

it still is

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah that's where you have to connect to the (slow and infrequent) airtrain. the a doesn't drop you off at a terminal

airport circulators connecting to it counts as direct.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm surprised that someone so obsessed with trains is so bad at reading train maps

i'm looking at the maps, your complaints just don't add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SHUT UP ABOUT TRAINS oh my loving god

• Locked thread