Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

mdemone posted:

Nope. You can trust me, I'm a cosmologist. Lambda's going to win.
We're all inside a black hole imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

A Winner is Jew posted:

Putting money into things like sustaining a closed ecosystem, zero-g production and mining, robotics, and even deep space telescopes and probes are things that we should absolutely be working on right now.

How awesome would it be if America was seen as the Greatest Country because of massive technological breakthroughs and huge steps forward in space travel, instead of because we have the biggest military-industrial dick on the planet and cowboys starting idiotic wars?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

We're all inside a black hole imo

It's goatse's all the way down. :goatsecx:

Brannock posted:

How awesome would it be if America was seen as the Greatest Country because of massive technological breakthroughs and huge steps forward in space travel, instead of because we have the biggest military-industrial dick on the planet and cowboys starting idiotic wars?

Um awesome?

I mean I'll vote the poo poo out of cutting the military budget by 1/2 and giving equal parts of each to both infrastructure/social programs and NASA but saying that space colonization will happen within 100 years is dumb no matter how much money we throw at that problem baring several Newton/Einstein leaps in science.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 14, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nuke asteroids as state policy with missions conducted every 8 years. Be sure the missiles enter Russian air space as a check on their ego.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Unfortunately, that same military industrial dick propelled us to the moon and catapulted us into the space race. NASA was founded on the fears of the Soviets gaining the high ground, and almost all of our spacecraft design was done by the same people building combat aircraft for the DoD.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, that same military industrial dick propelled us to the moon and catapulted us into the space race. NASA was founded on the fears of the Soviets gaining the high ground, and almost all of our spacecraft design was done by the same people building combat aircraft for the DoD.

I'm well aware. Hell, put the DoD back on space science again, I won't complain. Or even put the military to work on fixing up infrastructure. Basically anything is gonna be better than yet another adventure in the desert.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I mean I'll vote the poo poo out of cutting the military budget by 1/2 and giving equal parts of each to both infrastructure/social programs and NASA but saying that space colonization will happen within 100 years is dumb no matter how much money we throw at that problem baring several Newton/Einstein leaps in science.

I'm not saying that space colonization is going to be happening in that time window (sorry if it seemed like I was); I originally brought up the topic in response to fishmech's graph showing that fossil fuel usage has stabilized/decreased in America. It's all well and good that that's getting better, but if we run entirely out of easy energy before we make the breakthroughs necessary for colonization then space exploration is going to become extremely difficult if not outright impossible.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Brannock posted:

Something as paltry as doubling NASA funding would do wonders, but you heard it guys -- we can only choose between empty "help the poor" platitudes and actually ensuring that the species has a future instead of dying out impotently on Earth. It's not like the last space race had enormous technological breakthroughs that benefited life across all social strata or provided thousands of jobs!

Bases on the Moon and perhaps Mars, extending the ISS program, getting out several more space stations are all very well within our reach right now, and would do an enormous amount for our security as a species. Looking at a fictional story and going "Well that's impossible" is myopic to the extreme, though I'm not surprised you've resorted to yet another strawman to dismiss an idea. Star Wars fantasy? Really now?

We don't have a functional government because American society only exists right now to make people richer or enabling them to die trying to become rich. There's no societal goal whatsoever, why do you think people as a whole are apathetic about the utter destruction of American education or the crumbling infrastructure? Like this is a problem that runs through all spheres of American society, right up to our governance. Everyone in charge is busy trying to either tear down regulations or siphon money out of it because we barely have any idea what we should be doing other than a nebulous idea of "Make things better!" which clearly can be interpreted in a lot of ways that we'd rather it not be interpreted. There's no sense of unity or collective effort just an endless stream of "gently caress you got mine" or "gently caress you we want ours!" no matter how badly it'd affect everyone else.

If you want to spend money on research, spend money on research. If you want to help people, help people.

Either way the US government isn't going to do either of those things, and your Star Trek fantasy is a pipe dream. Good times reading the straw army you built in an attempt to make my position seem unreasonable though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

I'm well aware. Hell, put the DoD back on space science again, I won't complain. Or even put the military to work on fixing up infrastructure. Basically anything is gonna be better than yet another adventure in the desert.

Man, I fantasize about giving half the DoD budget to NASA and the other half to DARPA. Let em run wild.

I think we all fantasize about that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chamale posted:

That would have to be a shitload of mirrors, actually. And because space doesn't leave an efficient way to conduct away heat, over time they would heat up and start emitting heat towards Earth unless they were almost perfectly reflective.

Theres a simple solution for that one though, "Increase solar shade"

The main problem I see is researching fusion power and organic super lubricants.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, any one saying we should start colonizing now is an idiot, but so is anyone saying we shouldn't be expanding the budget of NASA because we need to help the poor.

I don't know that anyone was saying either of those things. :eng101:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

hobbesmaster posted:

The main problem I see is researching fusion power and organic super lubricants.

Is an organic super lubricant anything other than a sex joke?

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't know that anyone was saying either of those things. :eng101:

Yeah, the prevailing opinions here are "Increase NASA funding by a lot" vs. "Increase NASA funding even more than that".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

Yeah, the prevailing opinions here are "Increase NASA funding by a lot" vs. "Increase NASA funding even more than that".

How about "increase R&D funding a lot" if we're going with unrealistic dream budgets.

I mean realistically what we're going to get is tech that is a byproduct of creating death machines, which is what we have now via the MIC, but if we're doing this, lets halve the Pentagon budget and shovel it into education, R&D, and social programs.

NASA is a good general R&D thing to have, but if we're thinking of space colonization happening anytime in the next couple of lifetimes that's ridiculous and we should instead be concentrating on stuff that would improve the world we live on as it's more achievable, barring some radical breakthrough.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Don't forget medical research, another thing we stupidly and shortsightedly underfund.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Chamale posted:

It's a reference to the game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

quote:

"Organic Superlube? Oh, it's great stuff, great stuff. You really have to keep an eye on it, though - it'll try and slide away from you the first chance it gets.
-T. M. Morgan-Reilly, Morgan Metagenics"

Machines with moving parts have long been subject to wear and tear as the parts grind against one another. On Earth, traditional lubricants such as oil were used to minimize these effects. Planet lacks large reserves of such materials, until the invention of Synthetic Fossil Fuels. With Organic Superlubricant, scientists can create lubricating compounds that act like simple life forms, seeking out areas where they do the most good.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
And while we're in this fevered dream, privatize all energy creation and transmission in the US, build nuke plants and put the Navy in charge of running them as a domestic jobs program.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Unfortunately, that same military industrial dick propelled us to the moon and catapulted us into the space race. NASA was founded on the fears of the Soviets gaining the high ground, and almost all of our spacecraft design was done by the same people building combat aircraft for the DoD building wunderwaffen for the reich.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yep, all of those are good things. The F-35 fighter is $173 billion over budget, and the government has been making deep cuts to scientific research for years.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

A Winner is Jew posted:

And while we're in this fevered dream, privatize all energy creation and transmission in the US, build nuke plants and put the Navy in charge of running them as a domestic jobs program.

Socialized healthcare too. Also increase funding for Psychohistory.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zeitgueist posted:

NASA is a good general R&D thing to have, but if we're thinking of space colonization happening anytime in the next couple of lifetimes that's ridiculous and we should instead be concentrating on stuff that would improve the world we live on as it's more achievable, barring some radical breakthrough.

The flipside of the fact that space colonization fetishists advocates should absolutely support researching climate change because of its relevance to space travel is that space agencies are actually relevant research departments for ecological science; the ESA for example has the biggest closed environmental systems research center running at the moment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

UberJew posted:

:godwin: Wunderwaffe

Well, yeah, we had to start somewhere :tinfoil:

Zeitgueist posted:

How about "increase R&D funding a lot" if we're going with unrealistic dream budgets.

I mean realistically what we're going to get is tech that is a byproduct of creating death machines, which is what we have now via the MIC, but if we're doing this, lets halve the Pentagon budget and shovel it into education, R&D, and social programs.

There's the problem: Most general R&D did come from private research via government grants, but private research has been slowly oriented away from long term research onto more short term profitable research, we are not doing as much research into problems that will have decade spanning solutions versus next year solutions, and companies are getting less and less willing to throw money at general R&D which shows no profitability in the short term.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Washington Post has a fun thing that lets you write your own messages in the Hillary font.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chamale posted:

We need to restart the DnD SMAC game and make participation mandatory.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

UberJew posted:

The flipside of the fact that space colonization fetishists advocates should absolutely support researching climate change because of its relevance to space travel is that space agencies are actually relevant research departments for ecological science; the ESA for example has the biggest closed environmental systems research center running at the moment.

:agreed:

Nerds always want to talk scifi space colonization, but almost all of the tech you need would solve earth issues a long the way and is more attainable. But holy poo poo don't bring up solving social issues.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hilary's 404 page is pretty great:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

There's the problem: Most general R&D did come from private research via government grants, but private research has been slowly oriented away from long term research onto more short term profitable research, we are not doing as much research into problems that will have decade spanning solutions versus next year solutions, and companies are getting less and less willing to throw money at general R&D which shows no profitability in the short term.

We could just fund massive open-ended R&D facilities for a fraction of what we blow on random bombing poo poo.

Also just buy houses for homeless people and socialize food, if we're doing this poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zeitgueist posted:

We could just fund massive open-ended R&D facilities for a fraction of what we blow on random bombing poo poo.

Also just buy houses for homeless people and socialize food, if we're doing this poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

In more on topic news, Obama has said that he'd sign the latest bipartisan bill regarding Iran, thus ensuring that it won't have enough republican votes to pass.

Trollbama best Obama.

Someone should tell the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about Obama's nefarious plan because they just passed it unanimously, 19-0.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

The Washington Post has a fun thing that lets you write your own messages in the Hillary font.

:colbert:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Someone should tell the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about Obama's nefarious plan because they just passed it unanimously, 19-0.

Do we know the actual content of the bill?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Do we know the actual content of the bill?

Requires that any deal with Iran is approved by Congress. The agreement that finally got this through was the removal of an additional requirement that Iran renounce Hamas as part of the deal.

Oh, also, the White House removed Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Also, if you can't name both of the Members of Congress in this photo immediately, :getout:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Joementum posted:

Also, if you can't name both of the Members of Congress in this photo immediately, :getout:

Gotta be Pelosi on the right. Boxer on the left?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Requires that any deal with Iran is approved by Congress. The agreement that finally got this through was the removal of an additional requirement that Iran renounce Hamas as part of the deal.

Oh, also, the White House removed Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

Thank god he headed off the Tea Party criticism by saying that it's pursuant to the Constitution. They'll have no leg to stand on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

Gotta be Pelosi on the right. Boxer on the left?

On the left has to be DeLauro, the scarf scarves are a dead giveaway.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2015

• Locked thread