Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I stopped gathering, we might have had more time left but with the weather up and down like it's been, I had no idea when the maples were going to bud out. Husband isn't able to collect the sap and I'm at work all day so I was wasting a lot of overflow anyway. Next year I'll set up something better.

What's your current yield? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Do you have any tips on how to heat your living space in winter? It looks like it gets dreadfully cold there. I heard some people can suffice with a well designed rocket mass heater by burning small amounts the sticks they pick up, but i've also seen passive solar, compost heating and geothermal.

I guess you get used to it, but it gets cold enough for me in Texas as it is.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Faerunner posted:

What's your current yield? :D

A measly 2gal of syrup :blush: The sap is finally starting to run, this week

Tsinava posted:

Do you have any tips on how to heat your living space in winter? It looks like it gets dreadfully cold there. I heard some people can suffice with a well designed rocket mass heater by burning small amounts the sticks they pick up, but i've also seen passive solar, compost heating and geothermal.

I guess you get used to it, but it gets cold enough for me in Texas as it is.

We have a small amount of benefit from passive solar but aside from that 100% wood heat. Tips are to insulate very well (2x6 walls rather than 2x4) and reduce heat loss due to infiltration. Then cut a bunccchhhhhh of firewood. When you think you have enough cut about the same amount over again :)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Might be worth getting in touch with your local electrical supply house when you expand your PV array. Sometimes they have returns of modules that don't hit the label wattage but will still be more than you've got - a module that advertises 315 but is only putting out 280 is still almost twice what you've got now. Also, if you can put together the scratch for it, Iron Edison makes some nickel-iron batteries that last basically forever (20+ years expected, warrantied for ten) and have previously-unheard-of discharge performance. https://ironedison.com/

edit to add a little more PV nerdery

PV is going to be very exciting in the next few years. IBM's German division put together some truly ridiculous systems that are 80% efficient - efficiency here meaning 'how much of the sunlight that hits it is converted to useful energy' - into a combination of electricity and heat. And they run cool enough to be wired with off-the-shelf conductors. And they look like sunflowers. And the most efficient PV modules on the market brag about hitting almost 20% efficiency.

Elon Musk is throwing money at PV research, and his Tesla vehicles have advanced the cause of battery research to an astounding degree. Oh and some folks in Michigan figured out how to make loving transparent loving solar loving cells, bitches. You could rig up a system with these pigfuckers where it's the clear sheeting on the outside of a solar water heating setup - essentially eating the same cookie twice, using the light to generate electricity AND hot water. Holy loving lizard poo poo it is a wonderful time to be alive~

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 2, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

PopeCrunch posted:

Holy loving lizard poo poo it is a wonderful time to be alive~

Couldn't have said it better myself!

We generally don't have enough cash to be early adopters of anything, but, and I am quoting a reliable industry source here, "holy loving lizard poo poo" I cannot wait to get my hands on some of this new tech

<edit> Our batteries were at float voltage yesterday by 2pm-- suck on that, months-of-grey-skies

apatite fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 2, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

PopeCrunch posted:

Elon Musk is throwing money at PV research, and his Tesla vehicles have advanced the cause of battery research to an astounding degree.

The best part about this is that he is making a big production center right where Bethlehem Steel used to be in south Buffalo. For backstory, a company had looked at the site and went "we're gonna build this thing here and call it 'Solar City', and it'll bring 300-400 new jobs to Buffalo!" Everyone in town was excited about it, until we heard the company was bought out. Then we learned that Elon Musk was the one who bought it out when he went "Yeah, I'm still going to do this Solar City thing, but I'm gonna make it bigger. We're gonna bring 1000 jobs to Buffalo. It's going to be the biggest solar cell manufacturing center in the western hemisphere!" which was the point where we all started cheering.

Basically, when you factor in the hydroelectric from Niagara Falls, the wind farm all along the edge of Lake Erie, and now Solar City coming here, Buffalo NY is quickly becoming one of the biggest clean energy centers in the country.

gently caress. Yeah.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PopeCrunch posted:

Might be worth getting in touch with your local electrical supply house when you expand your PV array. Sometimes they have returns of modules that don't hit the label wattage but will still be more than you've got - a module that advertises 315 but is only putting out 280 is still almost twice what you've got now. Also, if you can put together the scratch for it, Iron Edison makes some nickel-iron batteries that last basically forever (20+ years expected, warrantied for ten) and have previously-unheard-of discharge performance. https://ironedison.com/

To add to this:

Try contacting Enersys for refurbed HEB series VLRA's. From personal experience they do bulk replacements and most of the ones they swap out are still at 80-90% capacity. I had to deal with racks of 300 of them and they're incredible.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Holy dicks, I just caught up.

I've always lived in an urban atmosphere. My first camping experience was fourth of july last year (Northern Lower Penninsula, MI).

You've inspired me to dick around with tools. I made a pallet garden last Friday! Had a great time. I'm in the process of stripping paint off an old antique mirror then restoring the wood. Let's see where this takes me.

Thanks to everyone here, especially apatite for being badasses.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 16, 2016

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

apatite posted:

:gerty:

Keep up the good work!! Glad I can be an inspiration to strangers on the internet, quite a few people have been coming over to check out the maple syrup operation and several are interested in starting up for themselves so the sickness is rapidly spreading.

We bottled another 3 gallons yesterday so we will have some for sale I just have to do the legwork on a paypal account, figure out shipping and look into whether i have to have an SA mart thread or can just sell here in this thread? maybe SA mart and pimp it here as well or something like that. Have made 4.5gal+ so far and looks like we will finally get a full week of sap running this week before the trees bud and shut it all down for the year. Hooray for self induced diabetes

You don't really need anything to sell in the SA-Mart thread - just post your thread and people buy poo poo. Generally, selling in sub-forums is frowned upon but you can probably ask a mod and get an exemption (TFR had a selling stuff thread but it got closed due to drama a while ago). I'd definitely ask for interest checks/pre-orders here so those dirty loving SA-Mart dudes who just want some of your sweet syrupy goodness don't steal it before loyal readers *cough* get a crack at it :V

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SA-Mart is a good place to post sales because of the rules - nobody's allowed to buy and sell unless they've had an account for x amount of time, you have to post a photo if you're selling something over $50, etc. Also people go there looking to spend money.

I predict if you post an SA-Mart thread, you'll sell out of your entire production in less than three days. I suggest at least $10 + shipping for each 8-oz jar, because this is bespoke handmade handcrafted micro-brew pure unfiltered unpasteurized unadulterated Made in America syrup and that's what stuff like that costs. Goons will happily pay it. Especially with a whole thread about how you're a cool guy doing this cool thing in the wilderness and the money is obviously going to the very good cause of Apetite's construction/motorized vehicle funds.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
$10 is lowballing it. $20. This is a finite commodity.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Backov posted:

$10 is lowballing it. $20. This is a finite commodity.

Don't forget, it's "Hand Made", "Gluten Free", "Free Range", "Organic", "Low Sodium", and most of all "Gourmet".

Don't sell yourself short, apatite

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'd love to have some real maple syrup; I'd put it next to my quart of molasses from down home. :3: Can't wait for grillin' time.

Is anything in bloom out there?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A small bottle gets sold for $25 here. You'd be surprised. Do some research on pricing before you decide. Don't forgetful shipping materials and your own labor to box and ship the stuff. You can always adjust it later!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

apatite posted:

Keep up the good work!! Glad I can be an inspiration to strangers on the internet, quite a few people have been coming over to check out the maple syrup operation and several are interested in starting up for themselves so the sickness is rapidly spreading.

Some pics of the apatite inspired barrel in action. I chickened out on the copper preheater because I'm a coward but it was still boiling off about 3.5 gph or roughly that entire pot every 30 minutes. Overall, I'd rate it about a thousand times more enjoyable than boiling on propane.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hnnnnnnnnnghhh

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

You stroking out, buddy?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You stroking out, buddy?

He's stroking something over there. :stonk:

I'd absolutely love some syrup, but frankly not for $20 shipping like some goons are suggesting. I'm absolutely sure there's tons of people who would pay that much, but I live probably less than half a state west of Apatite, and I can get a small bottle of 100% Grade A or whatever maple syrup at Trader Joes for $6. It's not a ton of syrup by any means, but it is the real deal, so :shrug:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

neogeo0823 posted:

He's stroking something over there. :stonk:

I'd absolutely love some syrup, but frankly not for $20 shipping like some goons are suggesting. I'm absolutely sure there's tons of people who would pay that much, but I live probably less than half a state west of Apatite, and I can get a small bottle of 100% Grade A or whatever maple syrup at Trader Joes for $6. It's not a ton of syrup by any means, but it is the real deal, so :shrug:

$80/L seems high to me when it's $13/L for real stuff at Costco but people pay $125/L in BC and $60/L in Nova Scotia. The store bought stuff is fine, it's probably actually "better" because the facilities are inspected, the syrup is tested to make sure no table sugar was added, it's filtered really well and it's bottled properly to prevent mold.

I can see why people would be willing to pay more for small batch stuff though. The syrup at Trade Joe's is generic by design. The distributors buy it in bulk (for about $7.50/L), mix it all in a big heating tank and bottle it. You end up with pretty generic maple syrup, like mixing all the merlots at the wine store. I'd say the difference with our stuff is that each batch can have some delicate flavors specific to the region, collection time, last year's local sugar storing conditions, how long it took to boil, how much bark made it to the boiling pan and how long the sap sat in my old pickle barrel.

Depending how high you want to elevate your pinkie, you can get different syrups and try to pick out flavors that aren't immediately obvious.

http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/science-an...d=1231363888838

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

apatite posted:

:gerty:

I rather enjoy your posts on your cabin and solar stuff so please keep going. :shobon:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Parts Kit posted:

I rather enjoy your posts on your cabin and solar stuff so please keep going. :shobon:

Agreed. I've enjoyed just about all of this thread and especially like to see pictures of anything you have going on up there.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I joined SA to continue catching up on this thread after it went paywalled.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

jailbait#3 posted:

Is there anything between the firebox and the chimney? You will get more heat (and save wood) by adding an overhead baffle (or some other baffle) so the exhaust gas doesn't go right out the chimney. You won't be able to jam as much wood in the firebox, but the wood will burn hotter and with less smoke.

Will respond to the rest later but wanted to go back to jailbait#3's post--

I added this broken chunk of cement block to force the flames up towards the bottom of the back pan before being able to go out the stack. The picture is just with it set in there as a concept, it has a firebrick under it to bring it up a little. Now the front two pans come to a full boil much faster than before

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I ended up with about 8oz of really dark syrup and about 8oz of maple 'candy' because I over-boiled the first batch, hahaha...

But hey, from 2 taps in Norway maples, I'm glad I got anything at all and now I know better than to boil syrup indoors next year. Outdoor boiler, ahoy!

Any suggestions for a rapid set-up and take-down style boiler? I have a tiny urban back yard that is easily visible from 3/4 sides, I would rather not A) have a fire set-up that isn't legal in the city (our fire bowl is about all that IS legal) in view of the neighbors, and B) have to store something all winter long because again, small lot.

...would a propane grill work for boiling sap?

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 8, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Faerunner posted:

I ended up with about 8oz of really dark syrup and about 8oz of maple 'candy' because I over-boiled the first batch, hahaha...

But hey, from 2 taps in Norway maples, I'm glad I got anything at all and now I know better than to boil syrup indoors next year. Outdoor boiler, ahoy!

Any suggestions for a rapid set-up and take-down style boiler? I have a tiny urban back yard that is easily visible from 3/4 sides, I would rather not A) have a fire set-up that isn't legal in the city (our fire bowl is about all that IS legal) in view of the neighbors, and B) have to store something all winter long because again, small lot.

...would a propane grill work for boiling sap?

Don't bother with the propane grill, that would probably suck. I tried finish boiling on my grill's propane side burner and it sucked.

If I were you I'd get a double burner (or i guess single burner but bigger is better) propane turkey fryer thing like this http://www.sears.com/king-kooker-re...0&mktRedirect=y

Then probably just set a restaurant steam table pan or a couple big stainless stock pots on it and go to town

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That's perfect. Thank you! I'll hunt one down for next spring :)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The bottle I was talking about is a 12oz bottle, for $5.49. Granted, it probably is the type that's mixed from all sorts of sources, but considering I've only ever had "maple flavored pancake syrup" until this past year when Trader Joe's finally came to town, it's a world of difference, and comparing that to home made stuff is probably like giving a finely aged Cabernet Savignon to a 21 year old.

That said, the Trader Joe's website lists their organic maple syrup as coming from Quebec. It also only lists the organic variety, and I'm talking about the non-organic variety, which almost certainly comes from the same region.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
NatGeo has this show called Building Wild where they build these extreme custom cabins. Saw an episode this week that made me think of you, a sugar shack for a maple syrup farm.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/building-wild/episodes/maple-syrup-motor-club/

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

tomapot posted:

NatGeo has this show called Building Wild where they build these extreme custom cabins. Saw an episode this week that made me think of you, a sugar shack for a maple syrup farm.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/building-wild/episodes/maple-syrup-motor-club/

That's pretty sweet, how do I get the television to come do work for me? :effort:

Bottled the last two gallons last night, actually finished up at 5am. I am going to bottle the first two batches again as they were a little on the "light"(watery) side of syrup and actually have a hydrometer now to get it jjjjjjjjjjjjuuuuuuuusssssstttttttttt rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhhhtttttttttt

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

apatite posted:

drat! What is a "small bottle" and where is "here" ?
An "Organic" 16oz goes for $25. It's the same bottle I've been buying for years, but at some point they slapped organic on it and bumped the price $5.

Looks like I could get a generic sourced bottle for less, but the "good stuff" seems to go for about ~$1.45/oz pretty much everywhere. I'm in Virginia, but amazon says the same thing.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 14, 2015

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I burned out my drill trying to make a hammock stand.

Cordless drills are stupid.

Where do you thrifty motherfuckers find cheap tools?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I burned out my drill trying to make a hammock stand.

Cordless drills are stupid.

Where do you thrifty motherfuckers find cheap tools?

Garage sales.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Garage sales.

Oh, well loving duh.

Quit following me around, making sense 100 HOGS AGREE.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's like prime garbage sale season too. Get out there to find the hottest deals!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2016

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I usually wait for Home Depot do do their quarterly tool sales (they use any opportunity to sell tools... it's a holiday? BUY YOURSELF A DRILL SET!). We have amassed a pretty large collection of cheap-ish Ryobi tools, all of which share the same batteries and do a pretty nice job not getting lost, being neon green. And for the cheap chinesey hand tools (or screwdriver bits I'm going to strip anyway) we visit our friendly local Harbor Freight.

But yes, for ultra-cheap nothing beats a garage/estate sale or auction.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I didn't have a need for a power drill so I bought a Black and Decker one for like 30 bucks and it died the first time I tried to use it like an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I didn't have a need for a power drill so I bought a Black and Decker one for like 30 bucks and it died the first time I tried to use it like an adult.

Those cheap B&D ones will break the second you try to do anything more than build IKEA furniture in my experience.

• Locked thread