Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

Doesn't the 2 year agreement thing only work if it's a new contract?

My best guess based off of Sprint's terribly lovely website is that you'd pay $99.99 with a two-year upgrade. Personally, I think you'd be a fool to buy a three year old phone with your upgrade instead of just grabbing one off Craigslist or Swappa, but obviously it's up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My best guess based off of Sprint's terribly lovely website is that you'd pay $99.99 with a two-year upgrade. Personally, I think you'd be a fool to buy a three year old phone with your upgrade instead of just grabbing one off Craigslist or Swappa, but obviously it's up to you.
Yeah in this case I'd probably buy the newest smartphone and sell it immediately, purchase an S3 off Craigslist, and stick a couple hundred bucks in your pocket.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Looking at it closer, it's $99.99, and then there's a $50 mail-in rebate that you receive as a prepaid AMEX card. I'd go this route if only to ensure that your new SGS3 is tri-band. Sprint's recently put their focus on expanding their Band 41 LTE coverage so you'll definitely want that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
The 5.0 update is out for the Sprint Note 3, and so far, it feels like it's breathed new life into the device. I loved my Note 3 when I first got it, but one of the updates along the way really brought it down. Now it feels just as snappy as it did when I got it, and I'm digging all the Material Design changes. The only thing I don't like is this persistent S Finder and Quick Connect thing in the notification shade. I can't find any way to make those go away...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I hope that's a life size picture of your phone's display because I just pictured you walking around with a Note the size of 4 monitors. :D

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
Sprint joins T-Mobile in offering free international data roaming.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...pe-or-japan.htm

You have to manually add it to your account but apparently all existing plans are eligible, including SERO.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think I'm going to go with an s6 from my m7, but that s6 promo doesn't make much sense to me.

80 a month not including the fees that get thrown on. And you lease the phone. At the 24 month mark you either give the phone back or buy it from sprint (can't find out what that actually costs)

Or I stick with my current plan at 78 with fees, pay the discount price on the phone and own it at the end of the 24 months.

Why would I lease the phone?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

lazydog posted:

You have to manually add it to your account but apparently all existing plans are eligible, including SERO.
No Canada, though. Still nice.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

zer0spunk posted:

I think I'm going to go with an s6 from my m7, but that s6 promo doesn't make much sense to me.

80 a month not including the fees that get thrown on. And you lease the phone. At the 24 month mark you either give the phone back or buy it from sprint (can't find out what that actually costs)

Or I stick with my current plan at 78 with fees, pay the discount price on the phone and own it at the end of the 24 months.

Why would I lease the phone?

Do you get unlimited everything?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WoG posted:

No Canada, though. Still nice.

What I was thinking. Good for the 10 days I'll be in Scotland, although it seems better to just spend 15 pounds on a prepaid SIM from Three and get unlimited LTE. And I'm in Canada a few times a year, this would be handy.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

brc64 posted:

The 5.0 update is out for the Sprint Note 3, and so far, it feels like it's breathed new life into the device. I loved my Note 3 when I first got it, but one of the updates along the way really brought it down. Now it feels just as snappy as it did when I got it, and I'm digging all the Material Design changes. The only thing I don't like is this persistent S Finder and Quick Connect thing in the notification shade. I can't find any way to make those go away...

My Note 4 is downloading the update right now, but it's always had the S Finder/Quick Connect thing there and it is a bitch. Options are learn to ignore it, or root and use custom roms and poo poo again.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

With T-Mo willing to buy out a contract is there really any reason to stay with sprint for a non SERO plan?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

There hasn't been for ages. Go to Verizon or AT&T though, T-Mobile has worse coverage than Sprint outside of metropolitan areas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will Verizon buy out your contract? The only problem with me is I would have to pay off my Galaxy S5 and it would hurt to do that.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

thelightguy posted:

There hasn't been for ages. Go to Verizon or AT&T though, T-Mobile has worse coverage than Sprint outside of metropolitan areas.

Uggg. Both VZW and ATT have data overages and nickle and dime fees.

I can drop my bill to $50/mo from $80 by going to the 1GB plan at tmobile since they exclude all music services from their data cap.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Is there a catch with the leasing plan? I am getting nowhere with the Sprint store or their chat. From what I am told I get a $15 service credit for customer loyalty that would have the lease for a Galaxy S6 at $5 per month ($20-15) for two years. Is there a reason not to do this compared to just buying the phone for $200 like I do every two years?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Pedialyte posted:

Is there a catch with the leasing plan? I am getting nowhere with the Sprint store or their chat. From what I am told I get a $15 service credit for customer loyalty that would have the lease for a Galaxy S6 at $5 per month ($20-15) for two years. Is there a reason not to do this compared to just buying the phone for $200 like I do every two years?
I believe you have to change to the Unlimited Plus plan and since it's a lease, after 24 months you'll have to return the phone, upgrade to another device, buy it, or continue paying the same monthly fee on a month-to-month basis. (Although on the S6 I think you're able to upgrade after 12 months without the additional $10/mo for early upgrades.)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Brightman posted:

My Note 4 is downloading the update right now, but it's always had the S Finder/Quick Connect thing there and it is a bitch. Options are learn to ignore it, or root and use custom roms and poo poo again.

Why do carriers have to gently caress with things in weird ways? My girlfriend's AT&T Note 4 doesn't have these, but hers has a persistent (non dismissable) notification whenever she's connected to wifi, which would drive me equally mad (maybe even more so).

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I've been using Sprint for about three years now, have an $80 plan for unlimited everything on a Nexus. Phones super old at this point and has a few issues, so I'm looking to upgrade or get out of Sprint. Without too much of an initial investment, anyone have any recommendations?

The new lease plans they're promoting don't seem very good from a quick look-over, unless there's a guaranteed warranty on the phone.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

brc64 posted:

Why do carriers have to gently caress with things in weird ways? My girlfriend's AT&T Note 4 doesn't have these, but hers has a persistent (non dismissable) notification whenever she's connected to wifi, which would drive me equally mad (maybe even more so).

I really didn't think it was a carrier thing since those are Samsung app things, that's weird. Lollipop has really messed with the notification shade for me, the Nova gesture of just swiping down to reveal it doesn't work anymore, and I can't hide the SmartRemote Notification remote...oh and I guess Tasker isn't loving working since Work Silent did gently caress all...or it turned on Do Not Disturb mode...whatever, just annoyed I have to gently caress around with that now. Anyway, on the plus side the Smart Remote power and volume buttons are now showing up on my lock screen so I don't have to unlock the phone to turn on the tv and sound system.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?

the littlest prince posted:

I think iPhones and Samsungs typically have the best cameras. The S6 just came out ...

Grumpwagon posted:

So, you might know this, but since your current phone is a WiMax device, I'm going to explain anyway. Any 4g phone you get now is going to be a LTE phone. That is a completely different (and incompatible) 4g technology from the 4g that was in the 1st gen EVO that you have. Sprint did a very bad job deploying WiMax, and a pretty good job deploying LTE. Even if your area had good WiMax, Sprint's LTE deployment used "better" spectrum, so it is faster (10-15 mbps vs 3-5 for WiMax in my experience), penetrates buildings better (especially if you have band 26), and propagates farther from the tower.

As for devices, the littlest prince's suggestions are good (for Samsung, don't get anything but their newest devices, the S6 or Note 4). I'd also suggest looking at the LG G3 if you can deal with the larger size.

Thanks, dudes.
I spent almost two hours on the phone with Sprint (called SERO telesales directly). I spoke to 5 people; all of them had troubles navigating the sprint site and would just offload me to a new person. One employee suggested that I go in-store, buy the phone, change my plan, and call them afterward to change it back. Also, while I was about to purchase the phone for $199, the price dropped online to $49.99. I was told this was for new customers + 2-year contracts ONLY, and that it would not apply to me renewing my 2-year contract because I've been with Sprint for over a decade. Whatever, Sprint.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Brightman posted:

I really didn't think it was a carrier thing since those are Samsung app things, that's weird. Lollipop has really messed with the notification shade for me, the Nova gesture of just swiping down to reveal it doesn't work anymore, and I can't hide the SmartRemote Notification remote...oh and I guess Tasker isn't loving working since Work Silent did gently caress all...or it turned on Do Not Disturb mode...whatever, just annoyed I have to gently caress around with that now. Anyway, on the plus side the Smart Remote power and volume buttons are now showing up on my lock screen so I don't have to unlock the phone to turn on the tv and sound system.

The latest Nova beta fixes that shade gesture bug.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Got the Note 3 Lollipop update today. As was previously mentioned, whatever update came before really made Note 3 a sluggish piece of rear end. I went to a rooted custom ROM that was better but still not great. I went through the process to unroot and get back to stock to take the OTA update and it's like having a brand new phone. Very happy with everything except the notification tray stuff but I'm sure I'm just overlooking a setting.

I'll probably end up rooting again for wifi-tether, not having that is a deal breaker on stock.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bought an iPhone 5s from Swappa so I can move over to Cricket from my SERO account, but the contract isn't up until the 27th. If I just say gently caress it and port as soon as I can get a sim will Sprint prorate the etf or try to gently caress me with the whole thing?

Edit: LOL "minimum of $100" for prorated ETF. Even if it's only a week.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 17, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

hrolfr posted:

One employee suggested that I go in-store, buy the phone, change my plan, and call them afterward to change it back.
I did almost exactly this with my SERO plan. The employee accounts guy changed my account and gave me his direct number to call him and change it back. Avoided any confusion with the store employees.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

lazydog posted:

Um, did that say "2G"?

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
s6 acquired and activated finally. Thanks for the help, thread people.

I added a $5 / month tablet plan to my sero acct as I purchased the s6. Impulse buys are the worst, but I was so surprised that I could even do it that I did it. It came with a phone number despite being a 1gig/month tablet plan. Not entirely sure what the heck it is besides a "free" LG G-pad that I don't need.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Their systems are likely hardcoded to require a phone number for every line.

Only $5/mo added onto your bill for an LTE tablet? That's pretty rad. I could swing that, easy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

brc64 posted:

Last week I got a letter in the mail from the new Sprint CEO (well, the offices of, I assume) thanking me for my loyalty and letting me know that as a reward, my 4 line share plan had been upgraded to unlimited talk (was 1500 minutes before) and that I'm eligible for a $15/mo "loyalty credit" toward the purchase of a new iPhone of Galaxy S5 (bringing the lease price to $5/mo). If anything, I'd want a Note 4, but I can't tell if that reward extends to other phones. The website makes it look like I can only use it for one of like 4 devices.

Has anybody else gotten this before?

This is from back in December, but I was suppose to get this loyalty credit and no longer am, and Sprint won't fix it. Paying $20 a month for a Galaxy S5 when it should be $5 for me. :/ It was actually $5 a month for two months and then Sprint for some reason took it away, and won't acknowledge the change or why I lost it. Gonna try to work with them tomorrow to get it fixed. On top of that i'm not happy with the Galaxy S5 anymore, its update to Lollipop has made the phone annoying to use and notifications no longer work. Now that the S6 is out, its very unlikely that Sprint will update the S5.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So I am upgrade eligible, want the M9, have the 200 bucks to buy it, but every store I go into is trying to dick me into leasing the phone for $23 a month "but with a cheaper plan!" or buy it on payments "with no interest!" for $28 a month. Is the the new dumbest loving poo poo ever to ensure as many people leave sprint as possible? Why can't I just buy the goddamn phone on contract like I've done for the last 17 loving years?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Old Man Pants posted:

So I am upgrade eligible, want the M9, have the 200 bucks to buy it, but every store I go into is trying to dick me into leasing the phone for $23 a month "but with a cheaper plan!" or buy it on payments "with no interest!" for $28 a month. Is the the new dumbest loving poo poo ever to ensure as many people leave sprint as possible? Why can't I just buy the goddamn phone on contract like I've done for the last 17 loving years?

What plan are you on?

edit: it sounds like you're on some old rear end plan that predates even SERO. It's possible that the store doesn't know how to work with an old plan. I'd call up telesales or see if you can buy through the website.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 26, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Buy through Sprint.com if possible. My experience with the stores has been pretty negative, they can't seem to do anything right. Then again that applies to Sprint.com as well in some cases, their customer support tends to lie.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Found an affiliate store that actually wanted to sell me the phone, paid for it and it is up and running. The corporate store was seriously trying to dick me around.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Old Man Pants posted:

Every carrier is moving away from contracts. Do the math, for most of the carrier's buying the phone outright is cheaper than the older two year contracts when you factor in all phone and plan costs.

People bitch for years about cell phone rates. They finally go down, but yes, they are going to go down by moving away from the old, lovely system.

Leasing a phone is probably retarded though, only sprint does that.

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Leasing a phone is probably retarded though, only sprint does that.

at&t NEXT is essentially a lease option as well, since you can trade in after 12, 18, or 24 months depending on the option you choose.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sprint's incompetence knows no bounds, I literally cannot get them to answer this question for me, I have talked to multiple people at Sprint. I want to pay off my Easy Pay payments on my Galaxy S5, right now. $20 a month, over two years, that's $480, not counting what I already paid. Sprint Customer Support said there is an additional fee I also have to pay, what is that fee though? They said they can't tell me that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

r3plica posted:

at&t NEXT is essentially a lease option as well, since you can trade in after 12, 18, or 24 months depending on the option you choose.

You own the phone the whole time on Next, so it is an installment plan with option to trade in, not a lease.

Word semantics, but a lease implies you don't own the phone you are making payments on.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I've been with Sprint for a while, I'm upgrade eligible etc. I'm currently on an unlimited data/text plan with 450 talk minutes that I never ever use, my monthly bill is $90 which includes phone insurance. I average about 5GB of data use per month. I have an S4 phone right now that I'm totally happy with.

There appears to be a cheaper plan option ($60/mo), but it appears I have to buy a new phone to get it? I'd rather not buy a new phone, but if I can get a new phone and new plan for less than I'm paying now I suppose I might as well. This "phone lease" thing appears to have a $20/mo credit thing going, which would give me basically the same plan for $80/mo with a new phone? I'll be damned if I can figure this out. Help?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

bewbies posted:

So I've been with Sprint for a while, I'm upgrade eligible etc. I'm currently on an unlimited data/text plan with 450 talk minutes that I never ever use, my monthly bill is $90 which includes phone insurance. I average about 5GB of data use per month. I have an S4 phone right now that I'm totally happy with.

There appears to be a cheaper plan option ($60/mo), but it appears I have to buy a new phone to get it? I'd rather not buy a new phone, but if I can get a new phone and new plan for less than I'm paying now I suppose I might as well. This "phone lease" thing appears to have a $20/mo credit thing going, which would give me basically the same plan for $80/mo with a new phone? I'll be damned if I can figure this out. Help?

Have you tried asking Sprint if you can have your plan converted to that plan without buying a new phone? Though I'm skeptical that Sprint is offering 5gb of data for $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have you tried asking Sprint

You'll get a different answer from every employee in my experience.