Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Attitude Indicator posted:

i thrive on hostility. what princess bride quote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
oy vey

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

oh.

anyway, a good man goes to war is a good episode until the end when River shows up and vomits plot-twists. this is the only correct opinion.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Strax is a one-note joke, but for some reason, you never get tired of hearing the note. All episode, he keeps being that joke, and each time he gets a tiny chuckle, and you say "Boy, I wouldn't mind hearing that one again," and then, lo and behold, you do, and release yet another chuckle.

i think it's all in the delivery, the guy playing Strax sells it

I don't know, i'm not good at explaining things, all i know is I really like him

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Can't we all just get along?

Won't someone think of the children?

<INSERT USELESS PLATITUDE HERE>?

Okay, that's out of the way. You may resume hostilities.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Strax: Perhaps we could blow everyone to smithereens! Also, I am a nurse.
Me: Haha! Still funny for some reason! I'm in my 30s. *swirls brandy*

i'm 23, you're old, man o.0

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
As someone else who is in their thirties and swirls brandy, I

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wow, y'all talked about masturbation a lot...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:p I didn't mean anything bad by it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't know, i'm not good at explaining things, all i know is I really like him

Yeah, Starkey does have some good comedic timing.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

MrL_JaKiri posted:

talked about masturbation a lot

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

This is this thread's darkest hour.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't really mind the plot twist on its own, but I didn't like what it implied for the plot. It'd take a very good writer to wring a satisfying ending out of that twist, and I wasn't sure Moffat had the chops.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So what happens if we clone this thread before this derail and kill this one?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Go watch "Wrestling is Wrestling" again. Triple H's entire career is the very definition of the word "masturbatory."

I'm thinking by this point, someone in this thread is getting banned and regenerating into a different account.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sighence posted:

So what happens if we clone this thread before this derail and kill this one?

It would be morally wrong and repugnant. Killing the clone is kosher and fun. :ese:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This thread would eat itself right at this point.

Please tell me this is going to result in everything getting put on break for a few months and THEN they'll get back and review the next episode. That would just be wonderful(ly stupid.)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What a load of wank. Get on the next review.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Just rewatched the episode, and agree with the criticism of the episode somehow feeling both rushed and empty. The episode blazes through everything after the doctor shows up, and then spends too long letting people celebrate while the audience waits for the other shoe to drop as they've been explicitly told will happen. Load of characters getting a line or two each, mysterious bad guys who seem to be custom made for disguising yourself and incompetent human bad guys who do basically nothing except almost get killed by their own allies. That said there's a lot of fun speeches and the first 20 minutes of assembling the crew are really exciting and build the tension nicely, and Strax is, of course, amazing. Rory has some fine moments too. The reveal at the end... sorta leaves me cold. Ok, it makes sense of a kind, and explains some of the events of earlier in the season. The problem is it doesn't really change a great deal of the status quo and we've barely had time to even register the fact that Amy and Rory even have a child before we are supposed to have the idea upended. The buildup to the big reveal of the name is pretty clumsy, and given with a too much distracting cryptic talk. And then suddenly the doctor is going off for reasons and then the episodes over and you're basically back to where we began except River and Amy's friendship got a bit more awkward. A lot of what's being answered but not many whys.

Still, though, Strax :3:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This episode was pretty much the tipping point for me going from thinking Moffat was still a great writer (despite the weak opening of this season) to thinking he had no idea what he was doing. I hadn't reached the point of dreading every episode with his name on yet though.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I liked the episode :shrug:

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Colonel Cool posted:

This is this thread's darkest hour.

Good threads don't need rules, now's not the day to find out why this one has so many.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Noxville posted:

This episode was pretty much the tipping point for me going from thinking Moffat was still a great writer (despite the weak opening of this season) to thinking he had no idea what he was doing. I hadn't reached the point of dreading every episode with his name on yet though.

The crazy thing is that both are true. He's an incredible writer who had no loving clue what he was doing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wow, y'all talked about masturbation a lot...

Well, it is a major past time for any Doctor Who fan.

(Someone had to say it)

DoctorWhat posted:

The crazy thing is that both are true. He's an incredible writer who had no loving clue what he was doing.

I think the problem is that he spent a long time planning out the perfect Doctor Who season. And then he did it. Afterward, he didn't really know where else to go with the series.

It also doesn't help that in part because of how he managed production, there was a six month delay between A Good Man Goes to War and the next episode.

If RTD came back to write another episode of Doctor Who, I'd be pretty apprehensive. If Moffat went away from the show for three years and then wrote a new episode, I'd be pretty excited. He's much better when he's doing episodes in isolation than running the whole show.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that wasn't part of the deal!!!!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:stare: I'm not doing terribly on guessing episodes

I'm just hoping Toxx feels the same way I did about this coming plotline, or else my score is gonna drop like a loving rock

This latest episode does detail my least favorite part of the show so far, though. Melody :rolleyes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gandalf21 posted:

I liked the episode :shrug:

Me too. I like most episodes though.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I think you're right. What it is is that he is given these completely insane, nonsensical things to say, and he absolutely sells them, 100%. He puts every bit of conviction into them that you could ever hope for. When Strax has the line "I have gene-spliced myself for all nursing duties. I can produce MAGNIFICENT quantities of lactic fluid!" Dan Starkey doesn't half-rear end it. He says this and grabs at himself with the utter self-assurance of an alien from a race that always takes the most straightforward (and violent) approach to problems. I'm a nurse, got to be able to give milk, hand me that baby so I can feed it! There's not the slightest hint that he's winking at the audience; he doesn't seem to even realize how ridiculous this sounds, and that's why it's so amazing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's the same reason that Drax the Destroyer (a name that rhymes. Coincidence?) is consistently hilarious. The actor is so good at making it sound like he is completely and utterly serious about the ridiculous things he says.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Random Stranger posted:

I think the problem is that he spent a long time planning out the perfect Doctor Who season. And then he did it. Afterward, he didn't really know where else to go with the series.

It also doesn't help that in part because of how he managed production, there was a six month delay between A Good Man Goes to War and the next episode.

If RTD came back to write another episode of Doctor Who, I'd be pretty apprehensive. If Moffat went away from the show for three years and then wrote a new episode, I'd be pretty excited. He's much better when he's doing episodes in isolation than running the whole show.

I'd be really keen to see RTD write another episode. He's done good work on the show, and his worst episodes have been the result of trying to write Something Hugely Retarded or because he hosed himself over with the production schedule; if it's just a standalone piece I think he'd be fine.

And this season is definitely when Moffat's stuff starts to feel less polished, because as you say he's used up everything he'd worked and reworked over the years and has to start improvising a bit.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

oh.

anyway, a good man goes to war is a good episode until the end when River shows up and vomits plot-twists. this is the only correct opinion.

Then a swift turn back into "wait, what, gently caress yeah" territory when the "The Doctor will return in..." text appears with the name of the next episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The title of the next episode is one of the best titles ever.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shame Occ will have to wait six months to watch it. It's the only way to get an accurate review.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SirSamVimes posted:

It's the same reason that Drax the Destroyer (a name that rhymes. Coincidence?) is consistently hilarious. The actor is so good at making it sound like he is completely and utterly serious about the ridiculous things he says.

The Leslie Nielsen principle?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When a Good Thread Goes to War

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
93 new replies, must have been a good review--

:circlefap:

:stare:

Um, sorry. I'll ... just come back later. I'll, uh, knock next time.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Filox posted:

93 new replies, must have been a good review--

:circlefap:

:stare:

Um, sorry. I'll ... just come back later. I'll, uh, knock next time.

If you thought reading the arguments over wording in tv-show reviews was bad, image coming back and reading this tired, pointless post!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oxxidation if you think you're so far above this thread and whatever community you keep referring to then you're free to stop posting in it. Otherwise you and the others arguing with you keep the bullshit out of it and just get on with what you're doing here.

And no, nobody is under a Toxx for this thread. It was a joke that Occupation decided to take on of his own volition. He's free to stop whenever he wants.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know it was an irritating extended argument and I'm sorry for being the one to start it, but the very constant "you people and your worthless echo chamber" stuff was a real downer and it was just kind of wearing me out.

Hopefully we can get back to what's important, praising the lactating war alien's comedic timing and having the "Does the transporter murder you?" debate :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

...and having the "Does the transporter murder you?" debate :v:

Only if you double cross Jason Statham.

• Locked thread