Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
honestly ive only seen people say they got screwed, save for the 3 goons who got what they wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I actually got the page and put in a search for Town and Country, but after I hit search everything crapped out completely.

I'll keep on until 9:30 and then I'm saying "gently caress it".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i dont even get to see the spinning wheel of madness
it's just a blank loading screen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Im in "Tphousing.com" (how appropriate) but it gives me only one hotel to search for? I thought you had to search for 6 (I wasnt there during round 1)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alan Smithee posted:

honestly ive only seen people say they got screwed, save for the 3 goons who got what they wanted

Yeah, it seemed pretty bad this year. Reading this thread made me feel better that I wasn't the only one that got hosed over.

Ok, this is absolute bullshit there hasn't been a page update with any link and I can't wait any longer. I love their "No selling of badges" policy, because at least going down their for a day and selling my 3 badges off for a couple hundred each sounds like it'll be my best option at this point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Look guys, I think at this point it's important that we realize we're all in a toxic, abusive relationship with CCI, and that we desperately need to get help.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah i dont know why I even thought I could get a waterfront hotel at this point but but they are all unavail, same with omni, probably gonna go nap until the plumbers come to unfuck my pipes in this fuckplace I live in

FilthyImp posted:

Look guys, I think at this point it's important that we realize we're all in a toxic, abusive relationship with CCI, and that we desperately need to get help.

he only hits me cuz he loves me

he wouldn't cheat on me if those whores weren't plying their wares all the time

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I actually got through and thought I had a room at Town and Country. It kept stopping dead after I submitted my credit card info, so I called and the guy at travel planners said it was because one of the four nights it said it was available wasn't.

This is such a complete and total clusterfuck.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

are they trying to kill all nerds

cuz that's what they are doing

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress this. I'm sticking with what I've got, and at this point I don't trust Travel Planners to not charge my card for rooms I didn't finish booking because they said it was available four nights when it was only available three.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The link is finally up and of course it's being hammered. Last chance right here.

https://www.tphousing.com/ph2/startres.aspx?EICode=3166&Attcode=72

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
There's also their overflow site. https://www.tphousing.com/e/2015/Comic-Con/index.html

No Comic-Con discounts and probably off the shuttle route. But the Marriott Marquis is there for $650 a night and the Hilton Bayfront is $1000.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

There's also their overflow site. https://www.tphousing.com/e/2015/Comic-Con/index.html

No Comic-Con discounts and probably off the shuttle route. But the Marriott Marquis is there for $650 a night and the Hilton Bayfront is $1000.

Jesus, gouge much?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Tran posted:

It's not even $650 a night if you add the each day goes for a different rate. I tried reserving Tuesday (because it said the rate went down to $260 a night) through Sunday and these are the rates it gave me:

1 room(s) for 5 night(s) Prices in USD
July 7, 2015 - 259.00
July 8, 2015 - 649.00
July 9, 2015 - 799.00
July 10, 2015 - 889.00
July 11, 2015 - 799.00

Total Cost: 3,822.12 USD

There goes this trip but I guess I'm saving money and going to make a good deal off my friend's badges.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr Tran posted:

But the Marriott Marquis is there for $650 a night and the Hilton Bayfront is $1000.
I'd like to give a shout-out to the evil genius that decided to do this.

If they were truly smart they'd throttle access to the CCI priced site and drop a dynamic cloud for their gougefucker site.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we should rent a party bus and just park it in the hotel

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alan Smithee posted:

we should rent a party bus and just park it in the hotel

Coverage of San Diego Comic Con 2015 brought to you by Brazzers.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That actually doesn't seem like a terrible idea. I mean you don't have to park it at the Marriot but there are places downtown you could probably park an RV and I've had friends rent RVs for festivals and such for a long weekend for < $500. Hell you could probably make the money back selling showers out of it for the hardcore line campers (if you got busted for running a portable shower business at SDCC that's an awesome story).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
You could sleep in a train for $800
https://www.facebook.com/events/800626856641599/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This actually is kinda cool, but is really the definition of how desperate things are getting. Does the train even have showers?

edit: They do... hmm...

sigher fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 8, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
One of the departments here at work just asked me to book 10 hotel rooms for them.

Sure, no problem.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Sure, no problem.
Hope they like Encinitas.

Or... Chula Vista.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Sheraton la jolla had rooms, granted its a good 13 miles away.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I used to stay in La Jolla every year, drive out to one of the trolley stops (now Qualcomm Stadium - parking is free) every morning, and be at the con all day. A weekend pass for the trolley is like fifteen bones and you won't have any trouble getting on at Qualcomm.

It's really not so bad at all and makes for a nice wind up/down ritual, unless not drinking yourself stupid every night will ruin your con experience.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Did you ever feel like SDCC just wasn't commercial enough? Well, they got your back on that!
http://comic-con.lionsgateapp.com/

The press release is as follows

quote:

We’re thrilled that the biggest pop culture event of the year will become a year-round digital channel for Comic-Con fans and audiences around the world,” said Lionsgate President of Worldwide Television & Digital Distribution Jim Packer. “The fan base for the kind of films and television series showcased at Comic-Con has grown exponentially, and a subscription video-on-demand service is the ideal platform to capture the magic and excitement of the Comic-Con experience year-round as well as the perfect vehicle for Comic-Con fans to discover new content.”

Reflecting the tremendous interest in the diverse roster of comics, films and television series showcased at Comic-Con International each year, the two companies plan to roll out the new service beginning with the U.S. later this year.

“From the beginning of our discussions, nearly two years ago, we have been extremely impressed with Lionsgate’s embracing and understanding of fan culture,” said Comic-Con’s Director of Marketing and Public Relations David Glanzer. “Working with our Lionsgate partners has been an exciting exercise in finding great ways to expand our horizons to deliver the unique magic of Comic-Con and the celebration of comics and popular art to our fans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and around the world.”

“As a next generation studio, Lionsgate has grown up with Comic-Con, and their fans are our audiences,” said Lionsgate President of Interactive Ventures & Games Peter Levin. “We’re excited by the opportunity to expand and enrich the world of Comic-Con for existing fans and extend it to a whole new global audience with a channel distinguished by its imaginative curation, depth and diversity of content and fierce loyalty to the Comic-Con brand.

I will say, if these means Hall H/B20 panels streamed as they happen with media included, I'm all for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RevKrule posted:

Did you ever feel like SDCC just wasn't commercial enough? Well, they got your back on that!
There needs to be a Countdown to ComicCon reality series following a bunch of nerds trying (and failing) to get a pass/hotel/anything during the year leading up to CCI2015. Otherwise this deal is a sham.

quote:

I will say, if these means Hall H/B20 panels streamed as they happen with media included, I'm all for it.
They should just have supplemental seating in PetCo Park and play everything there. It's not like the Walking Dead Experience needs the whole drat stadium.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

There needs to be a Countdown to ComicCon reality series following a bunch of nerds trying (and failing) to get a pass/hotel/anything during the year leading up to CCI2015. Otherwise this deal is a sham.

They should just have supplemental seating in PetCo Park and play everything there. It's not like the Walking Dead Experience needs the whole drat stadium.

I dont know if that would make the demand situation better or worse

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

If I'm reading that right, it actually sounds pretty neat. A lot of things I see hyped up at SDCC I never hear of again, having a subscription service like Netflix or whatever where all the stuff I was excited about and then forgot about as soon as I got home and took a nap on Sunday night would be super cool and I'd watch a lot more movies.

If it's literally just about SDCC and poo poo 365 days a year then :psyduck: Blizzcon offers net streaming of their panels during and shortly after every con which is well enough. I would be in full support of that, but the whole year???

Jarnet fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2015

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Still looking for a way to a Friday badge, friends! So if anybody knows anyone needing help in the exhibit hall, I'm your lady. I can pick things up. I can put things down. I can add 2 and 2. /end resume

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Good news! One of my books will be on sale at the con (a book exhibitor has kindly agreed to have it at his booth).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Parking lottery winners are being contacted

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I got group 4. I have no idea if that's good, great or utterly atrocious.

Edit: According to their facebook, there were only 6 group emails sent out, each with 500 people.
The convention center has a little under 2000 spots and the Hilton Bayfront has 2000 spots. If you interpolate from that information, if you got an email today with a group number, you're probably parking close and paying not much. If you didn't get an email, start looking for a friend with one.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 15, 2015

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
gently caress me. I didn't know this was how parking was being handled this year.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Between my friend and I we must've used at least 7 or 8 emails to attempt for the lottery. Not a single one was chosen to be in the lottery at all. RIP

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 15, 2015

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I entered every e-mail address I had, and then Sunday night before the cutoff I remembered I had some throwaway yahoo account from years ago and signed up with that too. All of them were passed on except for the throwaway account, which got me into Group 3. Thank you, long dormant burner account, you finally proved your usefulness.

I wonder if they did any kind of screening at all, or if there's a lot of people that got in multiple times and will just let the rest lapse for that general sale in June. Or if anyone is gonna try selling off their extra spots (a bit less likely, unless they want to give people their e-mail details). Either way, hopefully next year sees some changes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Space_Butler posted:

I wonder if they did any kind of screening at all

They don't even screen your god drat Professional Registration; they look at it and go "seems legit" and you're golden. You think they screen hotels or parking?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I got a group 2 email. Yay I think?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Satorr posted:

I got a group 2 email. Yay I think?

Again, to reiterate, there's basically 4000 spots between Hilton Bayfront and Convention Center (2k each). They sent out 3,000 "winning" emails out of 15,000 entries. Each group is 500 people. Group 2 almost ensures pick of the litter. By group 5, you're looking at probably having the choice made for you between the two prizes. However, even group 6 doesn't have far to go, or much to pay, for their daily parking.

Obviously this is all speculation based on data interpolation. There's also probably an allotment at the convention center for exhibitors (I can't say for sure as I don't know honestly).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hotel chat - if anyone was sitting on a crappy one on the shuttle route or doesn't have one yet, the Coronado Marriott just opened briefly (various hotels open up from time to time on travel planners). It's right next to the ferry and the ferry literally drops you off right next to the convention center - its technically one of the most convenient ways there. Only issue is having to cab/uber later at night if you stay out all night.

https://www.tphousing.com/ph2/HotelAvail.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The other issue w/coronado is the ferry doesn't start until 9AM so if you're looking at arriving early, you're looking at uber/cab again.

However, if you're looking for a relaxing, non-stress con, Coronado is the way to go.

• Locked thread