Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bicuspid posted:

Can you take dogs on the public transportation? I guess I could commute if that's the case. I want to take my dog to work because I might be pulling some long hours.

If you can claim with a straight face that it is a service animal. And if you are ok with being the rear end in a top hat who brings his dog on a rush hour bus/train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It will be extremely difficult to find an apartment where you are allowed to have your dog, period. The need to be within walking distance of work is going to be a further problem. Do you need to bring your dog to work for some reason? Because if not, live literally anywhere in SF and be no more than maybe 30 minutes via public transportation from the financial district. Or for that matter use BART to get to the financial district and you can live in oakland instead.

If you insist on living within walking distance of the financial district, ignoring your dog, $2k can probably find you an illegal efficiency studio in the worst part of the tenderloin. With your dog, uhhh, I dunno man, maybe you'll get lucky. Or you could rent a room from someone?

e. no dogs on public transport unless they're service dogs. I've seen people cheating with tiny lapdogs in like a bag or carrier but I don't think that's strictly allowed. No non-service dogs on BART either.

I think with your price point you are seriously going to have to consider shared living space, and you'd better start hitting craigslist now to try and find one where they'll be OK with a dog.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 31, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Leperflesh posted:

e. no dogs on public transport unless they're service dogs. I've seen people cheating with tiny lapdogs in like a bag or carrier but I don't think that's strictly allowed. No non-service dogs on BART either.

I think with your price point you are seriously going to have to consider shared living space, and you'd better start hitting craigslist now to try and find one where they'll be OK with a dog.

You can bring non-service dogs on BART, but they need to be in an carrier and honestly they'll be scared shitless since its loud, crowded and he/she will hate you. Also they have to be small enough to fit in a carrier that, so I hope you don't have a big dog! I've been riding for years and have never seen anyone attempt it (just the occasional purse-dog) :v:

Also yeah dog = no bueno in SF. I have a dog and it was hard enough to find a place in Berkeley but I did luck out with a very nice place near the gourmet ghetto for cheap (1.6k). Just move to Oakland or Berkeley where you'll have a much easier time with a dog-friendly place for less and take BART. Its about ~35 minutes for me from N. Berkeley.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

It will be extremely difficult to find an apartment where you are allowed to have your dog, period. The need to be within walking distance of work is going to be a further problem. Do you need to bring your dog to work for some reason? Because if not, live literally anywhere in SF and be no more than maybe 30 minutes via public transportation from the financial district. Or for that matter use BART to get to the financial district and you can live in oakland instead.

If you insist on living within walking distance of the financial district, ignoring your dog, $2k can probably find you an illegal efficiency studio in the worst part of the tenderloin. With your dog, uhhh, I dunno man, maybe you'll get lucky. Or you could rent a room from someone?

okay thanks for the advice.

the dog thing is mostly because i will work some long hours seasonally so in theory i might have to leave him home alone for long periods. which is not the end of the world. it might make sense to just live farther out and hire a dog walker then.

edit:

okay after some looking at apartments online I guess my decision is to either pay $3500 rent or live in the tenderloin for $2500

how lovely is the tenderloin exactly? if i walked home at 10 pm for a year, how many times would i get mugged?

Bicuspid fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 31, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not so much armed muggings as it is stepping over and through human filth, people living in your doorway, trannies doing tricks in your doorway, needles and meth pipes, etc.
If you are a dude and look reasonably alert you probably won't get mugged much, but you will need to turn down offers of sexual services from people of ambiguous gender on a nightly basis.

I mean I knew a guy who lived there in the 90s when it was even worse, and he was OK, so it's not like it's Beirut or something. But you should certainly visit, at night, and walk around and see for yourself before you sign a lease.

I really think you will be happier living in Berkeley or Oakland and taking BART, or living out in the sunset or richmond or something and taking the light rail.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bicuspid posted:

how lovely is the tenderloin exactly? if i walked home at 10 pm for a year, how many times would i get mugged?

Probably none, but you would definitely see some poo poo. Both literally and figuratively.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There's nothing for a tourist to do in SJ for four days. Stay in SF. Rent a car or take caltrain for the sharks game. Diridon station is literally across the street from the sap center.

gently caress it. Rent a car for that day. There's tons of cool poo poo that is best gotten to with a car. Use that day for the regional attractions and end the day with the sharks.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

It's not so much armed muggings as it is stepping over and through human filth, people living in your doorway, trannies doing tricks in your doorway, needles and meth pipes, etc.

The Tenderloin actually has the highest robbery rate of any neighborhood in the city, and SF overall already has an above average robbery rate for a big US city. It's mostly strong arm robberies, but it's not like armed robberies are rare (as of 2008, about 25% of robberies in SF involved a gun. Can't find exact stats for other weapons/strong arm). Though having problems like stepping in poo poo, seeing needles on the ground, or getting yelled at by a crazy hobo will always be way more likely than getting robbed or stabbed or witnessing a drive-by shooting or whatever...unless you're a drug dealer I guess.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 31, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

There's nothing for a tourist to do in SJ for four days. Stay in SF. Rent a car or take caltrain for the sharks game. Diridon station is literally across the street from the sap center.

gently caress it. Rent a car for that day. There's tons of cool poo poo that is best gotten to with a car. Use that day for the regional attractions and end the day with the sharks.

yeah, mostly stay in SF but maybe spring for a night at the DeAnza hotel near the Shark Tank for the night you are in SJ and check out some local pubs on foot.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Well the issue is that she also bought the plane tickets, so we're flying into San Jose on a Thursday morning, and leaving on Monday morning. Would it still be worth it to stay in SF?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

marsisol posted:

Well the issue is that she also bought the plane tickets, so we're flying into San Jose on a Thursday morning, and leaving on Monday morning. Would it still be worth it to stay in SF?

Yes. I mean you could find poo poo to do*... but the better tourist experience is in sf.

*it's been raining here and the hills are green. If you like hiking it's like XP bliss.jpg right now.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
Welp you guys were definitely right about the rent. I ended up with a 500 sq feet studio in japantown for 2700/month. I like that the neighborhood has some parks around and the complex is good with large dogs so I just bit the bullet on it.

LOOOOOVE the weather here so far. Hopefully summer isn't too hot.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Bicuspid posted:

Welp you guys were definitely right about the rent. I ended up with a 500 sq feet studio in japantown for 2700/month. I like that the neighborhood has some parks around and the complex is good with large dogs so I just bit the bullet on it.

The joke is that summer in SF itself is actually chilly; to get hot you need to cross the Oakland/Berkeley hills, at which point it is triple digits.

Fall in SF gets warm but still not more than 75-80* F.

Thanks to the drought conditions it's actually been warmish & sunny much of the year lately.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bicuspid posted:

Theres a reason for the saying the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. Hot it ain't.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
It's really fun to watch 49ers games where tourists are in windbreakers and shorts while snow falls down on the stadium.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

nm posted:

Theres a reason for the saying the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. Hot it ain't.

Now it feels like the warmest summer I've ever spent was a winter in Irvine.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've given my wife the reins for a vacation and she wants to go lie on a beach somewhere. I'm coming from San Diego, which would seem to be an excellent candidate, but she wants to go lie on some other beach. I was thinking maybe Catalina for a long weekend (3 days). It'll just be us, no kid. Is Catalina cool? It seems like a place for 50 year olds to go to walk around in breezy loungewear, but maybe I have the wrong impression of the place

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
You may also want to post this in the Los Angeles thread as well. I always see Catalina as part of the LA area.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I've been to Catalina a bunch of times with family and I wouldn't go there without family. It's not bad, but I'm struggling to think of anything it would offer over San Diego. Coming from SD, I would rather go farther up to the Central Coast.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

I've given my wife the reins for a vacation and she wants to go lie on a beach somewhere. I'm coming from San Diego, which would seem to be an excellent candidate, but she wants to go lie on some other beach. I was thinking maybe Catalina for a long weekend (3 days). It'll just be us, no kid. Is Catalina cool? It seems like a place for 50 year olds to go to walk around in breezy loungewear, but maybe I have the wrong impression of the place

I wouldn't go to Catalina to chill out on the beach but there's great hiking and snorkeling around there. It's a beautiful island and totally worth a visit.

Your surrogate key
Feb 10, 2010
Hello,
I'll be from 20 May in Los Angeles, first time in US for about 7 days. I was thinking of some sightseeing or trekking in Angeles National Forest or Santa Monica Mountains? is anybody interested in sightseeing/hiking together?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Your surrogate key posted:

Hello,
I'll be from 20 May in Los Angeles, first time in US for about 7 days. I was thinking of some sightseeing or trekking in Angeles National Forest or Santa Monica Mountains? is anybody interested in sightseeing/hiking together?

Depends, are you a weirdo?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bobula posted:

Appears to be a goon, so yeah.

Your surrogate key
Feb 10, 2010

bobula posted:

Well... uhm... I think I'm average between normal and bat poo poo crazy.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
You might want to cross-post in the Los Angeles thread. Lots of those guys probably don't post here unless there is burrito chat.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I live in San Diego.

I am a burrito based life form.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Chinatown posted:

I live in San Diego.

I am a burrito based life form.

Same.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Frech fry burritos?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nm posted:

Frech fry burritos?

California burritos are delicious.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Chinatown posted:

California burritos are delicious.

What qualifies as a "California Burrito"? The presence of avocados?

What about a "breakfast burrito"? The presence of eggs?

What differentiates a machaca burrito from a breakfast burrito?

Is lengua the best burrito/taco meat that someone can try for an "exotic" taste (i.e. something not found at Chipoltle) or can the best (aka worst) experience only be found by an authentic chorizo burrito followed by several hours of indigestion?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
EDIT:

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 14, 2015

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

celeron 300a posted:

What qualifies as a "California Burrito"? The presence of avocados?

French fries

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

And yes, lengua is absolutely the best burrito meat.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've lived in California for 46 years and ain't never ran into a burrito with french fries and if I did I'd throw it back. :colbert:

Seems to be a San Diego invention from the 1980's. Also seems like a cost cutting move to shove cheap potatoes in there instead of tasty carnitas.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/05/when_and_wheree_did_san_diegos.php

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 14, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A california burrito is a burrito that was physically constructed and served in California. No other definition is universal or adequate.

I am also a CA native who has never seen or heard of french fries in a burrito prior to this thread.

Nobody ever loving qualifies what they mean by a "good" burrito anyway.

Lengua is fine but also try carnitas, because Pork is the God's Meat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

I've lived in California for 46 years and ain't never ran into a burrito with french fries and if I did I'd throw it back. :colbert:

Seems to be a San Diego invention from the 1980's. Also seems like a cost cutting move to shove cheap potatoes in there instead of tasty carnitas.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2011/05/when_and_wheree_did_san_diegos.php

They're pretty loving good. The fries soak up the juices and drat.

I say this as someone born and raised in Northern California.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Lengua is fine but also try carnitas, because Pork is the God's Meat.

Also if the place can't do carnitas well/right then it's not a place worth visiting.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

The only place I've had potatoes in tacos/burritos was in LA, and god drat that place has the best tacos/burritos in the world.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I used to hate on California burritos, because I was a stupid dumb rear end in a top hat.

But a taqueria in my neighborhood in SF has them (which they call Nor Cal burritos :smug:), and I tried it, and it's really good if you're in the mood for some fried potato flavor in your burrito. It's exactly the same as their other burritos (meat, salsa, avocado, hot sauce, cheese, etc) but they replace the beans with french fries.

Kenning posted:

And yes, lengua is absolutely the best burrito meat.

It's good, but it's all about carne asada, carnitas, and chorizo :colbert:

It's a sad day when they get hosed up by a lovely restaurant.

celeron 300a posted:

Is lengua the best burrito/taco meat that someone can try for an "exotic" taste (i.e. something not found at Chipoltle) or can the best (aka worst) experience only be found by an authentic chorizo burrito followed by several hours of indigestion?

I feel sorry for your inability to digest chorizo properly.

edit: for a more exotic meat option, try sesos (brain). Live life on the edge, mad cow disease ain't poo poo.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Rah! posted:

I used to hate on California burritos, because I was a stupid dumb rear end in a top hat.

But a taqueria in my neighborhood in SF has them (which they call Nor Cal burritos :smug:), and I tried it, and it's really good if you're in the mood for some fried potato flavor in your burrito. It's exactly the same as their other burritos (meat, salsa, avocado, hot sauce, cheese, etc) but they replace the beans with french fries.

They probably have to differentiate them as Nor Cal Burritos since they dont have beans and are therefore poo poo. :smug:

Burrito war ITT

• Locked thread