Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Tylana posted:

Thank you for reminding me of that awesome game. Shame on me for only realising the reference after someone clapemoted it.

"Iiit's JORDI! :woof:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The only unforgivable part of that puzzle in my mind is the bit where you go underground at the start to open a door you won't reach till the end. That's just a dick move. The rest is "go as far as you can, hop cameras to go further" which is pretty reasonable.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I always thought that he said he wasn't a cash guy to avoid paying money in the first place.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

LoonShia posted:

I kind of wish they had made a Bitcoin joke about that. This game is, however, too ~serious~ for jokes.

The tone is all over the place. On the one hand, Aiden is a cyberpunk hacker with a Batcave and cellphone-based superpowers . On the other, his sister and her kids live in a normal suburban lifestyle.
I think in general this game doesn't go far enough in showing what things would actually be like in the hypothetical future where almost everything was interconnected. When you're walking or driving around it looks like a normal city today. You would expect more radical changes, or at least something to make the environment more interesting. I mean this game was in development for ages and it certainly doesn't feel like it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think in general this game doesn't go far enough in showing what things would actually be like in the hypothetical future where almost everything was interconnected. When you're walking or driving around it looks like a normal city today. You would expect more radical changes, or at least something to make the environment more interesting. I mean this game was in development for ages and it certainly doesn't feel like it.

There is certainly a lot of cameras everywhere compared to the real world, thats hyper futuristic right?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Leal posted:

There is certainly a lot of cameras everywhere compared to the real world, thats hyper futuristic right?

I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit on it being the future because there's not a single hovercar anywhere.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Leal posted:

Depends on the city. I think if this were London there would actually be too few.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
If you ever want to know what a conspiracy theorist feels like all the time, go to a city and start looking for cameras; some especially large cities have tons of 'em at every intersection. :tinfoil:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

kalonZombie posted:

I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit on it being the future because there's not a single hovercar anywhere.

Not sure if you've noticed, but the city is full of hipsters, they wouldn't use new cars.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Leal posted:

They said that they picked Chicago in particular for this game solely because they "Have a poo poo ton of security camera's" having never been to Chicago, I can't say anything on it, but meh, that's why they picked it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

tlarn posted:

If you ever want to know what a conspiracy theorist feels like all the time, go to a city and start looking for cameras; some especially large cities have tons of 'em at every intersection. :tinfoil:
I imagine Bobbin doing that constantly just to figure out if he would be able to beat the level if it was Thief

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It doesn't seem THAT excessive, at least not to an absurd point.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
:frogsiren: Side Mission Rundown Part 3: Video :frogsiren:

In this episode Aiden reveals his poker strategies, and we become alcoholics.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Oh, hey, one of your fellow card players is in Murders and Executions!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I don't remember Doug! My secret is that even as a child I already hated Doug, so I never watched it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

I don't remember Doug! My secret is that even as a child I already hated Doug, so I never watched it.

Child you was smarter than child me, who didn't really like the show but watched it anyway because it was the only thing on in that timeslot that wasn't on cable.

I didn't get cable until I was 16.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
It could be that it was a bottle of plum wine, but I prefer the chocolate syrup theory myself.

Doug < Pepper-Ann. That was the better school-kid show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doug was the best, screw you all. :colbert:

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
Eh, if we're really being honest, Recess was better than both Doug and Pepper-Ann. Like, don't get me wrong, I loved watching Doug, but Recess was where it was at.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kobanya posted:

Eh, if we're really being honest, Recess was better than both Doug and Pepper-Ann. Like, don't get me wrong, I loved watching Doug, but Recess was where it was at.

This guy knows what's up.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

:frogsiren: Episode 13 : Uncut | Cut :frogsiren:

This week Aiden shows off his snipesmanship skills, and we get raised Mormon.

Our guest this week is Great Joe. He' doing an of Nercovision which he tells me is a good videogame.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

That song you couldn't identify is "Jesus Built My Hotrod" by Ministry, an industrial metal band. They were kind of big back in the 90's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Orange is in fact the hungry color. Also, blue is an unappetizing color because it's the one color that almost never naturally occurs in food. Even blueberries are more purple on the inside.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on and I don't give the slightest poo poo.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on and I don't give the slightest poo poo.

Welcome to me as of episode 3. I think I've paid attention maybe twice since then.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have been trying to pay attention instead of just going for podcast mode, but since there's a few breaks inbetween videos, I just forget more or less everything about what's happening. The names and events just blur together. It's not helped by the grenade launcher, which causes explosions to happen everywhere and I just cannot comprehend it.

The biggest part of confusion is when we jumped around the server room area and Heave says "and here's the main bad guy" and I frown and go "who?" Is that the really old guy from the start of the game, or the guy who owned the slave thing, or whatever? Is it Blume? Iraq? Who are these people???

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I never got a carchase there, because I snuck in, leapt the fence and took that one of the two out first. The other I think just wanders around the area on foot trying to shoot you up. (Or I'd successfully stealthed him first.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

I have been trying to pay attention instead of just going for podcast mode, but since there's a few breaks inbetween videos, I just forget more or less everything about what's happening. The names and events just blur together. It's not helped by the grenade launcher, which causes explosions to happen everywhere and I just cannot comprehend it.

The biggest part of confusion is when we jumped around the server room area and Heave says "and here's the main bad guy" and I frown and go "who?" Is that the really old guy from the start of the game, or the guy who owned the slave thing, or whatever? Is it Blume? Iraq? Who are these people???

Watch_Dogs has a real plethora of villains. There's Iraq the crazy gang boss, the crazy old mafia boss, there's whoever ordered the hit on Aiden and killed his daughter-niece, and there's his former partner in crime who kidnapped Aiden's sister-wife to make him commit One Last Job with him and who has just sold him out to I think the ctOS guys who may or may not be their own antagonist group.

The game could really have stood to either pare down the bad guys or else make it nice and clear that they're all working together.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The game probably had 5 different scripts by the end so they just said 'screw it' and smashed them all together

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Oh yeah I nearly forgot, I went and actually counted the number of coats in game, and it's not 30 like I said in the video.

It's 52.

Seriously. One coat for every week of the year.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Watch_Dogs has a real plethora of villains. There's Iraq the crazy gang boss, the crazy old mafia boss, there's whoever ordered the hit on Aiden and killed his daughter-niece, and there's his former partner in crime who kidnapped Aiden's sister-wife to make him commit One Last Job with him and who has just sold him out to I think the ctOS guys who may or may not be their own antagonist group.

The game could really have stood to either pare down the bad guys or else make it nice and clear that they're all working together.
The weirdest part is that Blume was pretty much the perfect antagonist for the setting, but Aiden doesn't give the slightest poo poo about them until whatshisface sells him out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Crosspeice posted:

I think it's the lighting. Everybody looks like a washed-out blur so there's no visual component to memory.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

:frogsiren: Episode 14 : Uncut | Cut :frogsiren:

This week Aiden meets deadmau5, and we're members of a militant eco-group

Our guest this week is RandomNinja. He's a jerk with horrible audio. Also talk to him if you want to dick around in GTA5 with us, I guess.

Also I made a mistake in the video, I said Iraq was not the second hacker, but he is.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 15, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I love how the one heavy just stood there shooting at the cement block as Aiden recovered his health. Twice. No, let's not bother walking five feet forward to flank the guy, I'm sure that cement block will give out eventually!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I love how the one heavy just stood there shooting at the cement block as Aiden recovered his health. Twice. No, let's not bother walking five feet forward to flank the guy, I'm sure that cement block will give out eventually!

It's like this game is poorly programmed or something.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I think "Chin" is an actual Chinese name, so whether it's racist or not depends on where Jordi's ancestors are supposed to be from.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

It's weird how there was such a build-up to the boss-fight with Iraq, a guy who I still don't quite understand what his role is. In a lot of ways it looks a lot like another Ubisoft fight, the one with Vaas in Far Cry 3, where he's hiding and taunting you over a PA system, and he can see you but you can't see him. Except we've never met Iraq, don't know anything about him, don't have any grudge against him, and we're the one that's supposed to be the cool hacker. In Far Cry 3 it's a hugely emotional and stylized fight, in Watch_Dogs he takes 4 grenades to the face and dies. Not like Far Cry 3 was a pinnacle of storytelling but Vaas was a compelling villain, and it's weird to see them evoke all of that without any of the parts that made his character interesting or scary. I'm not saying they should have had Vaas, but in comparison to him their villains are just boring.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And suddenly, there's another secondary antagonist, out of nowhere! Has Defalt in any way been foreshadowed up until now, or is it supposed to be a twist?

Say what you want about the Assassin's Creed games, but they tend to pace themselves and establish all the antagonists at once.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LoonShia posted:

And suddenly, there's another secondary antagonist, out of nowhere! Has Defalt in any way been foreshadowed up until now, or is it supposed to be a twist?

Say what you want about the Assassin's Creed games, but they tend to pace themselves and establish all the antagonists at once.
Nope, he's just kind of dropped in, as if an exec walked up to the team wrapping up development and said 'hey, put in a battle with a hacker'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
He even came along with exposition. "This guy is bad news!"

• Locked thread