Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

There would have been several points in this process where someone would have been able to stand up and say "Are you serious? Internet gon' poo poo all over this" and either nobody did, or they didn't hire anyone who could. Entirely avoidable, and they're both getting a well deserved pasting.

I'm willing to bet the argument was "can we get away with it?" not "is this going too far?" What a shame no one put Carrspace in the generator, that would have been an awesome reason to quit twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I guess we forgot.

:shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ewe2 posted:

I'm willing to bet the argument was "can we get away with it?" not "is this going too far?" What a shame no one put Carrspace in the generator, that would have been an awesome reason to quit twitter.

No, the argument would have been "marketing says this is going to have a great ROI and engagement level so we're going to do it" and not a single person stopped to think about whether it was the right thing to do or whether people would abduct an easily exploitable system for trolling purposes.

All easily fixed by including someone with greater intelligence than a walnut - ie anybody not in Marketing - in any part of the decision making process. Which clearly they didn't do, because every single CM and SM person I know is laughing their heads off and/or cringing at their sheer rookie level idiocy right now.

They got burned and they deserved every single bit of it

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Birdstrike posted:

I guess we forgot.

:shrug:

That was the Korean War, then Vietnam, then Iraq, then Iraq, then Afghanistan, then Iraq.

e:

NTRabbit posted:

No, the argument would have been "marketing says this is going to have a great ROI and engagement level so we're going to do it" and not a single person stopped to think about whether it was the right thing to do or whether people would abduct an easily exploitable system for trolling purposes.

All easily fixed by including someone with greater intelligence than a walnut - ie anybody not in Marketing - in any part of the decision making process. Which clearly they didn't do, because every single CM and SM person I know is laughing their heads off and/or cringing at their sheer rookie level idiocy right now.

They got burned and they deserved every single bit of it

Yeah, basically they thought that any publicity is good publicity.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 14, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

The Internet always wins.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

ewe2 posted:

I thought there were some nice fresh memories in here, and then I went to twitter...

:catstare:

Hildeloss.jpg

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Apparently the settlement for East-West link will be $339M, more than the $230M the state government first offered, less than the $2Bn the consortium first demanded(obviously a ridiculous ambitclaim)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Gough Suppressant posted:

Apparently the settlement for East-West link will be $339M, more than the $230M the state government first offered, less than the $2Bn the consortium first demanded(obviously a ridiculous ambitclaim)

Ah cool. So then all of our transport problems will be solved right?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

NTRabbit posted:

There would have been several points in this process where someone would have been able to stand up and say "Are you serious? Internet gon' poo poo all over this" and either nobody did, or they didn't hire anyone who could. Entirely avoidable, and they're both getting a well deserved pasting.

Worth noting the same agency is responsible for "Camp Gallipoli"

It's bad enough little Johnnie turned ANZAC Day into the flag wearing monstrosity it is now during his culture wars, we shouldn't be encouraging corporations to profiteer by dogpiling on as well.

It was a joke about clients constantly wanting poo poo to "go viral" without any idea of what that actually means/requires :c

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Send the bill to Napthine.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Honestly, the most offensive part of that was that my championship was usurped in 2014 and 15

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Endman posted:

Honestly, the most offensive part of that was that my championship was usurped in 2014 and 15

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Never foregget

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:eyepop:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Graic Gabtar posted:

Ah cool. So then all of our transport problems will be solved right?

I dunno, you're in Sydney aren't you?

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
I'm gonna smash a doner kebab for anzac day

1915 never forget

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Who was 2011, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fresh in my mammaries

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Matthew Beet posted:

I dunno, you're in Sydney aren't you?

No. I'm here in the worker's paradise of Victoria.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

I think MUYB just killed himself at the realisation that he shares a state with you

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Worst decision since New South Wales v Commonwealth (1915) (the 'Wheat Case'), y'honahs.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Murodese posted:

I think MUYB just killed himself at the realisation that he shares a state with you

That's a shame. I was looking forward to catching up at the next goon meet.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I'm aiming for the "three-peat" unless Endman shows what little penis he has and carves off a couple of millimetres.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
So it looks like one of the best things NSW has going for it, ICAC, is going to have its teeth removed.

Kill all the lawyers first

SMH posted:

The NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption has lost a high-stakes legal bid to investigate Crown prosecutor Margaret Cunneen over allegations she perverted the course of justice.

A majority of the High Court ruled on Wednesday that the ICAC was acting outside its powers by investigating the silk, in a decision likely to have far-reaching implications for past and future corruption inquiries.

The commission had appealed against a majority decision of the NSW Court of Appeal, which shut down its inquiry into allegations that Ms Cunneen advised her eldest son's girlfriend to feign chest pains to avoid a police breath test after a car crash.

The High Court dismissed the appeal, ruling the conduct alleged in the Cunneen case did not amount to "corrupt conduct" as defined in the ICAC Act.

The Cunneen decision is the first time the nation's highest court has ruled on the scope of the ICAC's powers since the watchdog opened its doors in 1989.

The commission had adopted a more expansive view of its powers and the ruling may result in some of its previous corruption findings being overturned.

It may also restrict the findings that can be made in current inquiries.

The commission had delayed releasing its reports on two explosive inquiries heard last year, Operations Credo and Spicer, pending the outcome of this case.

It is now unclear whether it had the power to conduct significant parts of the former inquiry, which probed allegations the Obeid-linked company Australian Water Holdings gouged millions of dollars from public utility Sydney Water.

The ICAC heard allegations in that inquiry that Australian Water – previously headed by Obeid associate and Liberal fundraiser Nick Di Girolamo – submitted bills to Sydney Water for a range of lavish expenses including limousines, dinners and interstate trips.

"I'm going to drop the f-word – fraud," counsel assisting the inquiry, Geoffrey Watson, SC, said at the time.

Those allegations are unlikely to be regarded as fitting within the definition of "corrupt conduct" in the ICAC Act, and accordingly the commission may not have had the power to investigate them.

There are a number of discrete definitions of corrupt conduct in the ICAC Act and the Cunneen case centred on just one of them.

Under the Act, conduct of a private citizen that could "adversely affect" the exercise of official functions by a public official is corruption.

The Act says such conduct could involve a number of specified criminal offences, including perverting the course of justice.

An independent review of the ICAC Act in 2005 said that this definition of corruption "requires no wrongdoing on behalf of the public official" and it was a type of "indirect corruption".

But the High Court took a different view. Its ruling means a number of the watchdog's previous findings of corrupt conduct against private citizens, including five businessmen involved in a coal venture at the Obeid family's rural property, may be overturned.

Ms Cunneen stood aside from her role as the state's deputy senior Crown prosecutor in October last year.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Hahaha, it turns out Woolies didn't even have permission to use ANZAC.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

"Hmm, a treasured Australian cultural icon... should we run this past legal?"
"N...no? Why the hell would you do that, get out of my office"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/apr/15/intergenerational-report-dr-karl-regrets-campaign-role-and-lack-of-climate-focus

Dr Karl now realises that signing up for the intergenerational report ad wasn't really a good idea

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

You Am I posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/apr/15/intergenerational-report-dr-karl-regrets-campaign-role-and-lack-of-climate-focus

Dr Karl now realises that signing up for the intergenerational report ad wasn't really a good idea

As a comment on the story asks; of course he returned the fee right?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

“It was my fault for not realising the nature of the beast that I was involved with. I really thought that it would be an independent, bipartisan, non-political document.”

Apparently Dr Karl is only one day old?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
That's rather curious.

The ABC article doesn't have comments enabled.

Rather odd for an ABC story that contains the words, "Hockey's ineptitude".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Victoria to pay $339m to East West Link consortium over contracts

The Victorian Government will pay $339 million to the consortium behind Melbourne's East West Link after it cancelled the contracts for the road project.

Welp

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is a complex and shifting individual.

Umm he didn't name the guy because of OPERATIONAL REASONS. Get it right, reffo lover.

You Am I posted:

Nice one Dr Karl. I'm sure your correction will reach just as many people as your mistake.:jerkbag:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Graic Gabtar posted:

That's rather curious.

The ABC article doesn't have comments enabled.

Rather odd for an ABC story that contains the words, "Hockey's ineptitude".

They usually only have comments on Drum articles, the addition of comments to normal articles is a new and relatively rare thing.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Your mail was spot on it seems.

Just need the Victorian government to sort out Melbourne's transport woes without turning a sod of earth and not funding anything without a strong business case now.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
This is a cheap price to get out of such a lovely project. Need I remind you that the business case for East-Waste Link recommended that in order to pay for it, all non toll highways would need to collect tolls for 50 years?

Endman
May 18, 2010

You Am I posted:

Is there a huge crisis in Australian literacy? Because nobody seems to read anything any more, especially not before either blindly advertising it or declaring it partisan to a senate enquiry.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEVUK3Ryus

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hello dr Karl, would you like to spruik for our inter generational report?

Why yes Tony Abbott, given your excellent track record on science and evidence based policy I imagine that this will be an objective report and not tainted by existing ideological bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

SynthOrange posted:

Victoria to pay $339m to East West Link consortium over contracts

The Victorian Government will pay $339 million to the consortium behind Melbourne's East West Link after it cancelled the contracts for the road project.

Welp

The $339 million is money given to the consortium by the previous government that is apparently already spent and won't be recovered.

So while we are out of pocket by that amount it's not quite correct to say that the government will be paying that much in compensation.

• Locked thread