Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Well, looks like there's no previous mission DLC stuff added to the game, but they did sort of tease the return of the silver spiders/gold ants in one of the recent trailers for this, so it looks like they'll just roll them out exactly the same way they did on 360/PS3.

It's nice that they moved the spawn point in the wasp queen mission into that safe dead end tunnel that people usually holed up in after the initial drop. Rest of of the mission remains exactly the same besides that... well, when you don't count the crippling darkness that makes fighting the wasp queen much harder than it used to be.

Also, did everyone in the thread stop playing it online already or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Well, looks like there's no previous mission DLC stuff added to the game, but they did sort of tease the return of the silver spiders/gold ants in one of the recent trailers for this, so it looks like they'll just roll them out exactly the same way they did on 360/PS3.

It's nice that they moved the spawn point in the wasp queen mission into that safe dead end tunnel that people usually holed up in after the initial drop. Rest of of the mission remains exactly the same besides that... well, when you don't count the crippling darkness that makes fighting the wasp queen much harder than it used to be.

Also, did everyone in the thread stop playing it online already or what?

I haven't even started online yet, add me PSN: MechwarriorPrime

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno what the point of offline play is really. Online is where it's at.

edit: I'm horations, my info is in the goon auto-friender thing.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno what the point of offline play is really. Online is where it's at.

edit: I'm horations, my info is in the goon auto-friender thing.

Yeah, it isn't really necessary, but it is useful to do at least a full campaign run offline at least once so you have all the missions available for farming purposes. Also because the online mode REALLY doesn't want you to solo it. (Game buffs enemies thinking it's a 4 player room when trying to play solo. The wiki seems to think this is a bug but I'm pretty sure I recall 2025 doing this as well and might be completely intentional.)

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 9, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I meant more like, thematically. How arrogant are you if you think you can save the world all by yourself? You need at least one other dude, minimum. Who else are you going to shout EDF!! EDF!! with?

edit: NPCs don't count. AIs can't have the BURNING JUSTICE that a human player has.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Lowtax would EDF with me. He's done the shout in a few of his LP videos, he know's what's up.

Lowtax do a full LP for EDF.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I tried online, once. In a mission with three others, I did not manage to kill a single ant and gave up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mune posted:

I tried online, once. In a mission with three others, I did not manage to kill a single ant and gave up.
Were you on inferno mode with level 0 weapons or something?

edit: With four players I think enemies are only like 1.5x tougher or something, so I doubt it's just being online that did it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 9, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did you try shooting at them, while avoiding their attacks?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The EDF4 wiki breaks down the enemy hit point increases like this, and I assume 4.1 is similar if not the same (1.0 is the offline single player value)

online 1 player: 1.774
online 2 players: 1.112
online 3 players: 1.478
online 4 players: 1.774

As you can see, don't play online with one player.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The EDF4 wiki breaks down the enemy hit point increases like this, and I assume 4.1 is similar if not the same (1.0 is the offline single player value)

Do you know if that was the case for split-screen play too? On PS3 that is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gibbed posted:

Do you know if that was the case for split-screen play too? On PS3 that is.
Nope, splitscreen has no modification for enemy hit points, it stays at 1.0, in the original EDF4 anyway.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

It's still the same in 4.1, played the entire offline run in split so I could have another class soaking up armor or get double armor value on the one I was playing.

Also, word of warning for anyone thinking of doing this on 4.1 to get the completion trophies faster: Don't. The game will seem to remember which profile did which mission on each class, to the point of if you happen to swap classes between screens mid-campaign, you'll have the completion medals but you will not have the clearing credit. It is impossible to tell which ones you didn't get credit for after the fact.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

It's still the same in 4.1, played the entire offline run in split so I could have another class soaking up armor or get double armor value on the one I was playing.

Also, word of warning for anyone thinking of doing this on 4.1 to get the completion trophies faster: Don't. The game will seem to remember which profile did which mission on each class, to the point of if you happen to swap classes between screens mid-campaign, you'll have the completion medals but you will not have the clearing credit. It is impossible to tell which ones you didn't get credit for after the fact.

I am so :argh: about this profile poo poo in general when you are playing in your own home. Still, at least you don't have to worry about "only one mid campaign auto-save per profile." stuff in EDF.

One silly "not the end of the world, but come on!" standout in my mind was a Mortal Kombat game where due to profiles, player 1 could pause to look up unlocked fatalities. Player 2's move list still had blank spots, because gently caress you for playing on your couch with friends with out TWO profiles that have unlocked poo poo.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Weird, it worked for me when I completed the 360 version 100%(gently caress the fencer), it's a weird thing to change.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Weird, it worked for me when I completed the 360 version 100%(gently caress the fencer), it's a weird thing to change.

It works just fine on the 360/PS3 because those consoles don't force you to use separate profiles for each controller connected, so this is very much a PS4 specific issue. Hopefully it counts online completion this time around, can't screw that up with multiple profiles.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 9, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Just bought the Vita port of EDF2/Global Defense Force from play-asia. :getin:

I hope it works on my PlayStation TV. It certainly does work on a Japanese PSTV, but who knows about western ones.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

Just bought the Vita port of EDF2/Global Defense Force from play-asia. :getin:

I hope it works on my PlayStation TV. It certainly does work on a Japanese PSTV, but who knows about western ones.

Please do confirm this because I may do this too if we don't get any announcement for an English release this year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought all regions' PSTVs were essentially the same hardware-wise, same as PS3 and PS4.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought all regions' PSTVs were essentially the same hardware-wise, same as PS3 and PS4.
Yeah, but they have different compatibility lists. EDF2 Portable isn't going to be on any such list in the west so it's not "officially" supported, but it might work anyway.

edit: I can play it on the Vita anyway, I'd just like to be able to play with a proper controller. Rolling in EDF 2017 Portable is murder on my index finger.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I broke down and bought the JPN version of EDF 4.1. It's the second game that I've ever imported (behind the original Demon's Souls). Trip report!

• There's a LOT of Japanese. The menu and such are all the same if you're familiar with the localization so you don't have to worry about navigating.
  • That said, I do find the weapons pretty overwhelming. It's not that bad if you're playing Ranger or something, but I found the Fencer really quite daunting given the amount of sub-variation there is within a category and the amount of nuance some weapons have (like how some melee weapons have three charge levels, and each does a different thing.)
  • The framerate is super good, even in split-screen co-op. I did notice some framerate dips, but it was dipping from 60 to 40ish as opposed to 30 to 5.
  • There's some texture popin when levels load, akin to older Unreal 3 titles.
  • The caves lacking ambient light entirely changes those levels from a gameplay perspective. They're now really cool and quite daunting.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the experience, but if there's a localization I'll likely end up buying it again so I can play a Fencer.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
The slowdown only really happens for us anymore when I make a good and smart move like dunking an airstrike in the middle of a city and every building in the world turns into crumbling blocks. Thank you Sandlot!!

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Brackhar posted:

[*] There's some texture popin when levels load, akin to older Unreal 3 titles.
To more than compensate for this though, missions load in about 5 seconds or less now. It's amazing how even better this game is now.
One of the things I'm surprised they didn't fix is making the items float when they fall in deep water. Annoying in levels like 81, which seems to be the one to farm in Inferno if you have an Air Raider with good shields and railgun.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Brackhar posted:

[*] The caves lacking ambient light entirely changes those levels from a gameplay perspective. They're now really cool and quite daunting.

This is the bit that actively terrifies me because all my weapon grinding was done in caves with Thunder Bows. I don't much fancy the idea of fighting the Wasp Queen or a huge bunch of spiders that can see me from way the gently caress off.

It looks absolutely gorgeous when you spit lightning down a tunnel, though, and missions like Brute Force have been totally transformed when there's red light from all the flame and explosions everywhere.

e: Honestly, if you're wondering what a weapon does, just take it into level 1 and gently caress around with it. I realize Fencer's a fair bit more complex than the other classes but it still holds true.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 14, 2015

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Were you on inferno mode with level 0 weapons or something?

edit: With four players I think enemies are only like 1.5x tougher or something, so I doubt it's just being online that did it.

Light Gun Man posted:

Did you try shooting at them, while avoiding their attacks?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have no idea what the problem was, it was shortly after I got the game and was playing on a difficulty and level commensurate to where I was at in the game. For reference, I played EDF 2017 all the way through on inferno, and most of this game as well. Maybe it was a bad connection or something but I got blown away. Must have been an experience unique to me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Stelas posted:

It looks absolutely gorgeous when you spit lightning down a tunnel, though, and missions like Brute Force have been totally transformed when there's red light from all the flame and explosions everywhere.
I love it when you're doing a mission with a bunch of wing divers and their green beams light up the tunnel. All I can think of when that happens is ":byodood: D-GENERATION X!!"

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Do we have a list of PSN people who've got 4.1? Just got my copy in the mail today and goddamn do I need to get in some co-op.

PSN: Mat_Def

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm in a wonky timezone and usually play splitscreen with friends but if you want to add 'StelasEldrasiaJP' go ahead and I will fly straight into embarrassing deaths with my sub-par armor score anyday.

I probably should have started a save game with my normal account first but I was so excited I mashed the button to play-play-play and then got cool weapons and don't want to restart.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mune posted:

I have no idea what the problem was, it was shortly after I got the game and was playing on a difficulty and level commensurate to where I was at in the game. For reference, I played EDF 2017 all the way through on inferno, and most of this game as well. Maybe it was a bad connection or something but I got blown away. Must have been an experience unique to me.

My comment was a paraphrase of a quote from EDF:IA :v:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
...yeah, gonna wanna get a Ps4 for this when there's finally a NA release.

I haven't played 2025 in such a while, none of my couch-people want to play anymore, and online is virtually dead.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Seiren posted:

...yeah, gonna wanna get a Ps4 for this when there's finally a NA release.

I haven't played 2025 in such a while, none of my couch-people want to play anymore, and online is virtually dead.

I have hope, but the radio silence from D3Publisher isn't inspiring anyone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I saw a serious frame rate drop for the first time yesterday, when fighting that 300m transforming battleship thing. Oh well, the game is still greatly improved from before.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I kind of wanna write a script for Chrome/Firefox the changes the phrase "Framerate drop" to "Bullet time".

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
I've played a lot of online co-op games and not once I heard my teammates talking. IIRC, EDF4 had a ON/OFF option in the UI somewhere indicating which players had voice chat active. Did they remove chat completely or is this a PS4 thing I don't understand yet?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Japanese people don't use voice chat

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So, yeah, I wasn't super convinced about the PS4 import until I played Mission 11. Seeing 100+ airships on screen with no slowdown whatsoever while dashing around as a wing diver was amazing.

They need to localize this so I can buy it for a third time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I can now confirm that EDF2 Portable V2 works perfectly fine on non-Japanese PlayStation TVs. I'm using a European PSTV with my US PSN account, for whatever it's worth.

Whether you want to play this on a PSTV is another thing entirely, because Portable V2 seems to be based on the previous PSP port and consequently looks like butt (even by EDF standards). It runs far better than any previous version of EDF2 and plays really well, though.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

L3 is a kicking rad charge up fist bump, doesn't seem to do anything.
I found a (probably unintended) use for this: if you use it as you're falling, it'll force you up into the animation for the charge up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Morbid posted:

I can now confirm that EDF2 Portable V2 works perfectly fine on non-Japanese PlayStation TVs. I'm using a European PSTV with my US PSN account, for whatever it's worth.

Whether you want to play this on a PSTV is another thing entirely, because Portable V2 seems to be based on the previous PSP port and consequently looks like butt (even by EDF standards). It runs far better than any previous version of EDF2 and plays really well, though.

Someday, some fuckin day, EDF2 will get a proper port/remake that looks as good as it can and runs flawlessly. Or, someday, the ps2 emulator will fix the graphics bugs and I'll play it that way. Someday. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

gibbed posted:

I found a (probably unintended) use for this: if you use it as you're falling, it'll force you up into the animation for the charge up.

Speaking of I got a higher level one and it has lasers on it(they suck): http://www.twitch.tv/neohelbeast/b/655679714