Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Just popping in to say Fiery Salient and Prokhorovka are terrible maps for bad people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xthetenth posted:

Tiers 1-3 are weird fun degenerate gameplay.
ftfy

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Quick Cromwell question, coated optics or vents? I'm guessing optics for the scouting potential, that's what I have on my Soviets anyway.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Playing last night and decide to have a nice easy game in my Hellcat. It's mine, and as No One on the team goes Island, I figure I better at least cover it.

A Sherman enemy tank starts charging me, but he's a red shitter, and I'm having no problems juking him while smashing rounds into him... and then all of a sudden I'm dead - 450 damage HE. I could have sworn he was using the 76mm and not the derp...

OH WAIT - it was Arty on MY TEAM that killed me. I guess he figured he really needed to help me out there, and arty is so accurate that it makes sense to shoot at the two tanks that are 2 feet apart.

THANKS MATE!

gently caress this game, why did I come back to it?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Nessus posted:

My own play experience is that every gun is awful in your own hands, but is a laser-guided death ray in the hands of others. (This is slightly mollified if you play gold.) But I'm also bad at tanks so :v:

I think I'm giving up on American arty though, the Priest is simply Too Bad. I'll keep it around I suppose in case for some reason I feel like double-artillering.

Arty doesn't really get good until tier 5 at least, everyone is moving around too much or is too small to hit and your splash radius is basically nothing at low tiers.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Arty doesn't really get good until tier 5 at least, everyone is moving around too much or is too small to hit and your splash radius is basically nothing at low tiers.

It pinacles at tier 6 in the British line though. There is no need to ever go past the FV304 or to any other Arty in the game for that matter.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Quick Cromwell question, coated optics or vents? I'm guessing optics for the scouting potential, that's what I have on my Soviets anyway.

Got optics on mine to better spot the tangoes

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Tiers 1-3 are really only fun if you have the money to kit out a good crew with equipment. Honestly not sure how some people power through at as beginners anymore. While training a light crew in my 38H, I saw a group of people in Cruiser 3's, and they simply buzzsawed through entire groups. They all died when they got stuck in the middle of all the wreckage they caused and couldn't push out.

So tonight I was 1/6 before quitting, with 5 of those games in my Ru-251 trying to earn a single goddamn win. I like this tank, I want to win in this tank, but these people prevent me from doing so. Also this has a surprisingly good HE shell, and with the number of lights on the field, is pretty hilarious.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Basically, you want to be using optics when you already have a view range advantage compared to other tanks of your tier. A quick and dirty rule for knowing when you should use optics for tanks tier 3 and higher is the following:

IF view range / 10 - 30 ≥ tank tier use optics,
ELSE vents

The Cromwell is tier 6 with a 360m view range, so use optics.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 14, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Some whiny bitch was crying about spots or he would tk us so I shot him twice and then he killed me to turn blue and I had my platoon mate just kill his rear end. Funny poo poo.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 14, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

CitizenKain posted:

Tiers 1-3 are really only fun if you have the money to kit out a good crew with equipment. Honestly not sure how some people power through at as beginners anymore. While training a light crew in my 38H, I saw a group of people in Cruiser 3's, and they simply buzzsawed through entire groups. They all died when they got stuck in the middle of all the wreckage they caused and couldn't push out.

So tonight I was 1/6 before quitting, with 5 of those games in my Ru-251 trying to earn a single goddamn win. I like this tank, I want to win in this tank, but these people prevent me from doing so. Also this has a surprisingly good HE shell, and with the number of lights on the field, is pretty hilarious.

Tiers 3-4 are the shittest I think. There isn't anything as brutal in this game as tier 3-4 matchmaking where 3 is a constant tier V KV-1 shitfest and tier 4 puts you up consistantly against 6s where Hellcats and the like make you wonder how any people get into this game.

The RU is a wonderful machine and I pack 10 HE rounds every game and nearly always use them to full penetration on the 2-4 light tanks that I inevitably cross. 100~ pen and 350 damage with module destruction fucks up LTs good and even most mediums from the side.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

my triple crewed, cammo'd t80 is the most fun tank to play. completely invisible, pens everything except a kv220 & t-150. high ROF, laser aiming for long distance & nimble/small for circle strafing.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maev posted:

The RU is a wonderful machine and I pack 10 HE rounds every game and nearly always use them to full penetration on the 2-4 light tanks that I inevitably cross. 100~ pen and 350 damage with module destruction fucks up LTs good and even most mediums from the side.

Reason number one to play the T49 is kind of the same thing : doing a shitload of HE damage to light tanks/other paper thin armor garbage like rear end in a top hat TDs and arty (who quite honestly both deserve to have half of their modules and crew die every time you shoot them). Sure, the AMX 13-90 is still the better t8 light, but come on, dat 152mm gun son.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
http://wotreplays.com/site/1797498#team

Watch me shoot HE at light tanks in the RU and get 18k wn8 for the pleasure. 5k damage and 3k spotting, crazy amounts of exp.

:edit: SS for those who understandably cant be arsed to watch a gloating RU replay:

maev fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 14, 2015

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I'm trying to take advantage of the on track to the CGC promotion without burning any free xp, and by accident I've found it's amazingly satisfying to drop 300+ point bombs on camping tier 5 waffles with my tiny little t3 arty gun.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Shameless plug: Check your inboxes if you are in the Armored Warfare beta, they just sent out the invitation email announcing the next test.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

demonR6 posted:

Shameless plug: Check your inboxes if you are in the Armored Warfare beta, they just sent out the invitation email announcing the next test.

I don't seem to get any emails from them despite being in the beta :( When is it?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ensign Expendable posted:

I don't seem to get any emails from them despite being in the beta :( When is it?

April 15-21st for this go around. Longer than the February test that was like two days.. I missed that one because the Google dumped their email into a dark, dank folder I never even thought to check since it is labeled 'Pure poo poo Goes Here'. I created it to forward unwanted emails I created rules for, Google decided to make some of its own for me.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I thought I applied to it a long time ago, but apparently my account was actually never created when I created it as my e-mail was unused. Huh.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

srb posted:

I thought I applied to it a long time ago, but apparently my account was actually never created when I created it as my e-mail was unused. Huh.

I've been applied to it since anyone in NA could apply for it and I have yet to get an invite to anything so who knows how they pick people.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

BadLlama posted:

I've been applied to it since anyone in NA could apply for it and I have yet to get an invite to anything so who knows how they pick people.

I just logged in one day and could see the beta forums/had the beta tester tag in my profile.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I was just called a second account gold-spammer asshat by an Obj. 430 II who was obviously displeased with me shooting premium rounds through his face with my Tiger. What's the second account bit about?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

R. Mute posted:

I was just called a second account gold-spammer asshat by an Obj. 430 II who was obviously displeased with me shooting premium rounds through his face with my Tiger. What's the second account bit about?

Do you have a low number of games? People like calling everyone rerolls

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

R. Mute posted:

Some people think that you can only be good at clicking on things after a few thousand games of tanks.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Anyone blue or purple with less than 2k games is a reroll. The game is way too arcane to learn enough about it before then. There are some legit good players in the 5-6k range, but I would bet that a good bit of the gaudy stats bunch in that range are just the reroll early adopters.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
They should give the Challenger a 20pdr. The AT-7 gets one! The 17pdr was great at tier 5, good at tier 6, and i'm sick of it at tier 7.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Steelion posted:

They should give the Challenger a 20pdr. The AT-7 gets one! The 17pdr was great at tier 5, good at tier 6, and i'm sick of it at tier 7.

It really could use one. I just sold it after a couple of games, I don't see a reason to play a tank that bad.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I've got 5700-ish battles and I'm nowhere near blue or purple, so I'm guessing they're just not even thinking about what they're saying now. Not that they were before.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

It really could use one. I just sold it after a couple of games, I don't see a reason to play a tank that bad.

I mean, I'm enjoying it pretty well, surprisingly. The fact that I suddenly have gun depression means I can position myself so much better, plus it's pretty fast. Some more alpha and pen would really go a long way, though, 150/171 really doesn't cut it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WayAbvPar posted:

Anyone blue or purple with less than 2k games is a reroll. The game is way too arcane to learn enough about it before then. There are some legit good players in the 5-6k range, but I would bet that a good bit of the gaudy stats bunch in that range are just the reroll early adopters.

I've got 8257 games and get called a reroll, despite having an April 2011 start date (7/7/10 on the forums).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

demonR6 posted:

WHAT THE gently caress? I still get no email. Mycom fix your junk.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've got 8257 games and get called a reroll, despite having an April 2011 start date (7/7/10 on the forums).

wg will reset your stats if you jump through a few customer service dept hoops

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have 25k games and got called a statpadder over the weekend. If I was padding my stats they would be a fuckload better than they are.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

WayAbvPar posted:

I have 25k games and got called a statpadder over the weekend. If I was padding my stats they would be a fuckload better than they are.

I get called a no-lifer that spends all day playing tonks but then I point them towards noobmeter and they never say a word ever again.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Agrajag posted:

I get called a no-lifer that spends all day playing tonks but then I point them towards noobmeter and they never say a word ever again.

Is it because they're too busy laughing about your lack of a Type 59?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I keep winning in the Crusader SP. I am averaging 200 more damage per game with the stock gun than the 304.

I think I broke something. :psyduck:

e: I know that eventually statistics are going to take over, and that 14 games is not a representative sample. But Jesus Christ this is getting absurd.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I get called a reroll despite having a god drat beta sherman reward tank.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
7 kills in a T9 game. I love the Panther 88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Why is the Type 59 legendary status now? It's not even that good of a tank, and was victim to the extremely rare premium nerf (WG doesn't like nerfing premiums, merely phasing them out).