Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah the worst I can see happening to europe outside of general global reductions in quality of life would be an increase in racism/nationalism and the political parties that ride those emotions. But if europe has turned into a neo-fascist racist nightmare canada would have already "solved" the question of first-nations sovereignty and sent the poor to work off their welfare in special "debt camps" along side TFW's who have their passports taken away for their own safety while they toil in the condo mines of vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

It's pretty hard to predict what the future holds or how bad the sky will be falling, but Canada seems like a pretty safe place to be. Safe as in "won't be killed in a bloody revolution or war" or "won't starve to death after the food riots". It's not a good place though if your main worries for the future are ridiculous things like maintaining a high income and status. Most of the world will be worried about food, water, shelter, and violence, not which country has the highest paying jobs for their university degree.

I dunno, we have a lot of space, but not a lot of our land is good for growing a lot of food, and we seem intent on paving over what good foodlands we have because of how close they are to major cities. And a lot of that land is unequally distributed across the provinces, and the really good farmland is more unevenly distribtued. If Canada had to suddenly feed itself, it could probably still do that now, but in 10 years at current housing development rates?

Although given all the evidence in this thread it's not likely things are going to continue as they are for another 10 years. And there's no feudal-fascist nightmare on the horizon either.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 14, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

My wife has French citizenship through her mother in theory but won't give her the satisfaction of filling out the paperwork due issues between them.

Hopefully when that harpy dies my wife won't have too hard a time getting her passport in order.

Or you never know maybe Europe will be a loving hole by then and people will be clamoring to get away.

If she has it through the fact that her mother is French, your wife would have had to claim her French citizenship before she turned 18, I think. Either that or it's just WAY harder afterwards. I had to go to the consulate just before my 18th birthday to register with them in order to keep it since when I was a kid I was just on my mom's French passport.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh well. Ya it woulda been nice if my wife were rational about this but it's kinda a lot to expect because reasons.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

HookShot posted:

If she has it through the fact that her mother is French, your wife would have had to claim her French citizenship before she turned 18, I think. Either that or it's just WAY harder afterwards. I had to go to the consulate just before my 18th birthday to register with them in order to keep it since when I was a kid I was just on my mom's French passport.

Yes, it is very hard after the age of 18. My sister's husband was born in Poland and they started the process for all six of her kids to get EU passports last summer. It was at my insistence that they got it done and it is just in time because my eldest nephew turns 18 in June. He picked up his passport just today, in fact.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My mom had the chance to do this but didn't see the point. She could have gotten Hungarian citizenship and that could have gotten me into europe. I could be living in a cheap apartment near the centre of Prague desperately trying to pronounce Czech right now :( My parents also could have been fairly wealthy right now if they hadn't sold their rental house at the very bottom of the 80's. Oh well, hindsight and boomers and all that.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

jet sanchEz posted:

Yes, it is very hard after the age of 18. My sister's husband was born in Poland and they started the process for all six of her kids to get EU passports last summer. It was at my insistence that they got it done and it is just in time because my eldest nephew turns 18 in June. He picked up his passport just today, in fact.

I applied for my Irish passport a few months ago and paid 300 EUR for it. If you can get citizenship elsewhere, I advocate it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Goddamn my grandmothers parents giving birth to her in Toronto before taking her back to the UK! :argh:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
If you're Mom is still alive she may be able to apply for UK citizenship still. Or you might be able to. I've had it since birth, but my sister (born in the US) only just applied for it through my mom having it and it was no trouble at all. Had her passport in like 2 months. Maybe check it out.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Unfortunately the Ancestry Visa just gives you "indefinite leave to remain" after five years now, not a shortcut to full UK citizenship. :(

EDIT: :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

B.C. 'hosed' in Coquitlam land sale to Liberal donor

quote:

VICTORIA - The Opposition New Democrats say British Columbians were "hosed" in a Crown land sale that was snapped up by a Liberal donor at $43 million below the appraised value.

Wesbild Holdings Ltd., founded by businessman Hassan Khosrowshahi, paid $85 million for 14 pieces of property in the Burke Mountain area of Coquitlam, just east of Vancouver.

NDP Leader John Horgan says one of the 14 lots was appraised at $5.6 million, but sold for $100,000, a price unheard of in Metro Vancouver's sizzling real estate market.

Horgan says it appears the government also decided to sell the land after less than three months on the market in order to include the $85 million in the government's 2014 budget.

Technology, Innovation and Citizen's Services Minister Amrik Virk says the properties were marketed publicly by Colliers International, and the decision to sell to Wesbild was made on an offer for all 14 properties.

Port Coquitlam New Democrat Mike Farnworth is highly critical of the sale, saying taxpayers were hosed on the price, suggesting homeowners would never sell their houses at such a deep discount in what is considered a hot real estate market.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the land was in Port Coquitlam.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/b-c-hosed-in-coquitlam-land-sale-to-liberal-donor-1.1823396#sthash.R6psZR0D.dpuf

Hassan Khosrowshahi, by the way, is the billionaire owner of Future Shop.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 15, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Rime posted:

Unfortunately the Ancestry Visa just gives you "indefinite leave to remain" after five years now, not a shortcut to full UK citizenship. :(
Indefinite leave to remain entitles you to live and work in the UK just like a regular citizen. If you also have commonwealth citizenship, you can even vote in British elections. If you really want British citizenship and you have ILR, all you have to do is settle here for three five years and then cough up £1000 or so for the citizenship ceremony fee.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 15, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

Worthless governments holding fire sales on crown assets, selling below market price in order to plug budget gaps. Ridiculous.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm eligible for the ancestry visa through my grandmother and I should probably take it.
If nothing else, the UK is hungry for teachers in a way Canada will never be. I just wish I could end up in Northern Ireland.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Canadian Debt Bubble: Got my EU citizenship today

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Worthless governments holding fire sales on crown assets, selling below market price in order to plug budget gaps. Ridiculous.

Still the best story so far was canadian government losing 3 billion in the GM stock sale.

Basically they did the bailout for stock in hopes it would prevent GM from moving jobs out to lower cost areas.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rime posted:

What Shop? Future who?

You must be thinking of some other store....

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm eligible for the ancestry visa through my grandmother and I should probably take it.
If nothing else, the UK is hungry for teachers in a way Canada will never be. I just wish I could end up in Northern Ireland.

Congratulations - this is an original English-language sentence!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Loot 'em, we can't be seen running a deficit!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I was actually looking at video games jobs in Germany a few weeks ago. This country is going to poo poo, another CPC majority mandate seems increasingly likely, our infratructure is crumbling and no one wants to address it.

In comparison, Germany has excellent economic diversity, the government actually intervenes to keep the gap between rental and ownership at a reasonable level, the country hasn't spiralled in debt with the eurozone recession, basically the more I read about it, the more I popped a euro-boner that still hasn't gone away.

Then it struck me how depressing it is that the only apparent way for me to fix my rapport with this country I used to love is... to get the gently caress out. :smith:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jan posted:

I was actually looking at video games jobs in Germany a few weeks ago. This country is going to poo poo, another CPC majority mandate seems increasingly likely, our infratructure is crumbling and no one wants to address it.

In comparison, Germany has excellent economic diversity, the government actually intervenes to keep the gap between rental and ownership at a reasonable level, the country hasn't spiralled in debt with the eurozone recession, basically the more I read about it, the more I popped a euro-boner that still hasn't gone away.

Then it struck me how depressing it is that the only apparent way for me to fix my rapport with this country I used to love is... to get the gently caress out. :smith:
Germany's success is on the back of the weaker eurozone countries. It isn't sustainable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Germany's success is on the back of the weaker eurozone countries. It isn't sustainable.

Yeah not to mention the Euro only benefits a strong export focused economy.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
This last page has been really amusing. Europe is just as rough as Canada, and then some, just take a dive in the EU thread. On top of a dysfunctional economy with high cost of living and low wages, you've got racial/national tensions, Euro falling apart, simmering conflicts, etc. I've even heard many UK, Spanish, Potuguese , Italian and eastern european people refer to Canada as their ideal country to migtate to (seen as USA but with the crazy toned down a bit).

But then again, the weather is better and most of it is not a frozen thundra so idk.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, if you go to Europe expecting it to be in any way better than Canada you're in for a pretty big shock.

My favourite part of Germany is spotting the obvious Neo-Nazis on the train, which happens a lot more often than you would think for a country trying to get past that part of their history!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Freezer posted:

This last page has been really amusing. Europe is just as rough as Canada, and then some, just take a dive in the EU thread. On top of a dysfunctional economy with high cost of living and low wages, you've got racial/national tensions, Euro falling apart, simmering conflicts, etc. I've even heard many UK, Spanish, Potuguese , Italian and eastern european people refer to Canada as their ideal country to migtate to (seen as USA but with the crazy toned down a bit).

But then again, the weather is better and most of it is not a frozen thundra so idk.

EU zone was basically a god tier response of how to deal with a recession.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol look at you dumb bitches

I still get 3 to 4 emails from London recruiters per week for 6 figure jobs. I get zero from Vancouver

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

lol look at you dumb bitches

I still get 3 to 4 emails from London recruiters per week for 6 figure jobs. I get zero from Vancouver

A vibrant economy that attracts people from around the world.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only good countries are the ones that are so far north that they get like no daylight in the winter and it's cold all year round, who would want to live in those ones ever? Maybe Denmark is okay but I doubt it.

Pretty much everywhere in the world sucks pretty hard, there's no getting away from it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

A vibrant economy that attracts people from around the world.

No you see, my parochial world view is gospel truth because

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's another fact that is gonna rock your sjw world: those hong Kong Chinese that came to Vancouver in the 90s mostly all went back to HK because the job market in Canada is so terrible. That's right, a city state with more unaffordable real estate and a lousy social safety net is more attractive.

But I guess they'll never know the joys of playing take top games in a cafe on a dark cold rainy day :qq:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

they'll never know the joys of playing take top games in a cafe on a dark cold rainy day :qq:

... sans alcohol no less! Because 'something something games of chance and the devil's elixir'. Oh, BC.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nah, Ludica manages to have a full-service bar somehow. I don't know how, especially since there are also pictures of children in there, but they do. :psyduck:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Lexicon posted:

... sans alcohol no less! Because 'something something games of chance and the devil's elixir'. Oh, BC.

I have high hopes that I will someday be able to legally drink a beer on the beach in Vancouver before I die

currently I just do it anyway, but it's the principle of the thing really

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rime posted:

Nah, Ludica manages to have a full-service bar somehow. I don't know how, especially since there are also pictures of children in there, but they do. :psyduck:

restaurant (food primary) licenses allow for kids in bars, that's probably what they got

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

well at least the eurozone crash means cheap stocks

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

etalian posted:

well at least the eurozone crash means cheap stocks

I initially read this as "cheap socks" and it made me laugh. Tired of eating dirty old sock soup during the next great depression? Not anymore! New sock soup can be had for just penniesnickels!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

I initially read this as "cheap socks" and it made me laugh. Tired of eating dirty old sock soup during the next great depression? Not anymore! New sock soup can be had for just penniesnickels!

maybe someone can invent a tasty greek soup recipe for the next recession(made with real greeks)

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

If I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco from Toronto for the same job, would you guys recommend it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If they would get you on the path to a green card, definitely. It will open up a whole new world in tech industry opportunities. It would also put your resume way up the pile on top of idiots who worked at hootsuite and business objects.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The benefit of living in European countries is more than just economic. Way friendlier and much more attractive women are pretty common compared to a place like Toronto. I suppose if you're female the same applies to the men too, minus any men located East of Poland.

It's pretty amusing coming back from Europe to see frumpy Toronto girls thinking they're hot poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

sitchensis posted:

If I had the opportunity to move to San Francisco from Toronto for the same job, would you guys recommend it?

San Francisco is great, but I lived there from 2007-2009 and its only gotten way more expensive and even more overly-techy since then. I don't think I'd move back, unless it was a job that I really couldn't turn down. You're talking $3k+ monthly rent for a lovely apartment at this point.

NYC or Seattle would be my pick. I'd take SF over Toronto (i.e. Chicago weather with LA traffic at NYC prices) in a heartbeat though.