Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Stupid Sexy Urist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

We all know dwarves get bad thoughts from going naked, but do they get bad thoughts from wearing nothing?

It'll be like the dungeon master and wearing 10 robes.

Its like I"m wearing nothing at all

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress.

Okay. Doing that during the first winter is unfair, maybe my traps will... wait, who is laying siege? That weasel and giant eagle? From the dwarves, who is the only civilization I have contact with?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
First time playing adventure mode i did this.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Michael Jackson posted:

The Status quo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rush's "Rivendell" reminds me of the Dwarf Fortress music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-zanqLD3M

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Michael Jackson posted:

My dwarf drowned in a river while being chased by alligators, so...yeah, par for the course.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

PublicOpinion posted:

We all know dwarves get bad thoughts from going naked, but do they get bad thoughts from wearing nothing?

"But you're not wearing anything!"

"No, I'm wearing nothing!"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Try wearing nothing in a DWARVEN MOSH PIT

Toady One posted:

The dance activities will separate out dance areas, music areas and spectator areas now from the room of the tavern where they decide to hold the activity, and the people move off to their spots and dance/play/etc. For this sort of spontaneous tavern activity, the area divisions are made fresh every time, so you don't need to designate anything. They'll find the space if you leave an area without tables and chairs. If the tavern is crowded with furniture, people will still play music and tell stories and so on. The unit occupancy setup of one-dwarf-standing per tile has made moving multiple dancers along their patterns a trickier problem than it would be in a higher resolution setup, so I'm probably going to pass on some but not all of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The conga line slams into the dwarven child, blowing it apart!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"Death is all around us..."

*Urist does a jig*

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

oh, lordy

Rumrusher posted:

notice something funny with jump, if you give to many jump commands you will fling the person from point to point
or well fling into themselves
this was with the pointer 1 tile next to the dwarf and activating the jump command 8 times
the poor dwarf was sent back to the original position and flung over time and time again so much that his last position didn't clear up and smack into himself
going so fast you hit yourself in the past present and future.
so uhh remember kids don't attempt to shine spark unless you have loads of muscle and fat to absorb the blow, or ancient bird people armor.
oh well best slap some mechanic where if someone grappled then jumping takes them with you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fortified by my experience with gnomoria, i'm giving df a shot again. last time i couldn't tell my rear end from my ankles; this time i may have a vague idea of what i'm doing :v:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Tollymain posted:

fortified by my experience with gnomoria, i'm giving df a shot again. last time i couldn't tell my rear end from my ankles; this time i may have a vague idea of what i'm doing :v:

i thought the same thing last week but then i tried Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r10 and with tiles and stuff it became much more manageable.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
This is interesting. This dwarven civilization is regularly making GBS threads out migrants that have social skills, and they have a bunch of different skills instead of always being a Gelder or a Fisherdwarf. Sometimes they give me someone with 13 skill. My last fortress' civilization never gave me dwarves with social skills or anything but the most basic of skill templates.

Then I got a couple dwarves that had even more incredible social skills and were instantly elected mayor. They would be High Master in one skill and novice in like, ten others. The weird thing is they never slept, and people kept dying with the blood sucked out of them. What a weird coincidence. Mayor Urist the Impaler says everything is fine, and with his high persuasion skill I'm inclined to agree.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I recently started getting much better and more useful migrants in the last update or so too. High master armoursmith?! What have you done with all the novice fish cleaners?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

I recently started getting much better and more useful migrants in the last update or so too. High master armoursmith?! What have you done with all the novice fish cleaners?

so we can no longer recreate goons trying to live away from civilization and dies from dysentery forts :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The funniest thing: I found a pattern in an unlabeled vector with DFHack. It lists a big huge pile of professions with some skill tokens attached. I haven't had the opportunity to test it, but I think it's the table that decides which skills a certain professions should get a hike in when they spend x time units as that profession in worldgen. It'd certainly explain why my military migrants are still gaining skill in Striker, Kicker and Biter.

If you wipe all of the values out, all-peasant migration forts might be possible.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I haven't played in a while and I gave it a shot.
The discipline system is kinda strange imho, but it is kind of cool at the same time. I laughed when my militia commander stood horrified over his comrade's corpse during funeral detail, but the local miner with no discipline just picked up the body and walked off while the militia commander was frozen on the spot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

amuayse posted:

The discipline system is kinda strange imho, but it is kind of cool at the same time. I laughed when my militia commander stood horrified over his comrade's corpse during funeral detail, but the local miner with no discipline just picked up the body and walked off while the militia commander was frozen on the spot.

It also depends on the dwarf's individual personality. The miner might have had no discipline but maybe he was just one of those dwarves that doesn't give a drat.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

amuayse posted:

clearly you promoted the wrong dwarf

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

buk buk buk buk buk toads buk buk buk buk

Toady One posted:

Fortress visitors are coming up, so amid the pure dwarfy work, I thought I'd take a stab today at the looming problem of opening up the fortress to more permanent non-dwarf residents (to complement the ones you can already get, like the odd elf monarch and all that). There were some hundreds of code snippets that needed to be slogged through, but everything was pretty straightforward except for military equipment/clothing. So that's looking good. We should have our first sense of how all that's going to work pretty soon as we open up the inns! I'll be back and forth between that and finishing dwarfy art stuff and libraries.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

scamtank posted:

This is gonna be a pain in the rear end if you have permanent large-sized humanoids to equip with large armor.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Crimson Harvest posted:

This is gonna be a pain in the rear end if you have permanent large-sized humanoids to equip with large armor.

On the other hand, you now have permanent large-sized humanoids equipped with large (dwarven-made) armor on your side. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder if you'll ever be able to equip odd items outside of adventure mode. Using stone doors and thrones as weapons is always good for a laugh.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I remember back when if a dwarf made artifact furniture they'd carry it around forever and if you drafted them into the military they'd use it as a weapon. Plus, since making an artifact often gave you legendary skills, and skills just raised all stats, they'd be strong as hell so they'd cart around their cat bone-encrusted granite floodgate and just send goblins flying. It was a good time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dwarven fabrics must be very stretchy. An emaciated dwarf can starve to death, and an obese dwarf can go put on his pants. In the world of dwarf fortress, all fabrics are spandex.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I dunno. The fact that the thickness of the garment is directly dependent on the size of the bodypart it's covering suggests some sort of a quantum body extension.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe they just all wear fatty-sized clothes?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Maybe they've invented the revolutionary thing that changed the world when it was invented in 1989, THE BELT

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It is an elephant leather belt. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of elephant bone. On the buckle is an image of a dwarf. The dwarf is making a rude gesture.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

Does that mean he's updating the military/clothing code at some point soon?

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Here's a multi-part problem I have:
Problem 1: I've embarked in a haunted/sinister area, and it rains "acrid filth" constantly. In this instance, acrid filth causes spontaneous bruising all over the body. Short exposure turns all body parts yellow on the wound window, and prolonged exposure turns everything red and the bruising goes right to the bone. It even reports bruised EYEBALLS. It clears up in a month once someone is indoors. The all-red exposure gives unhappy thoughts from getting seriously injured.
Problem 2: No iron ores anywhere. I've got copper, silver, and tin at least. Bronze armor seems to work well enough against undead wildlife, and silver is good for maces/hammers.
Problem 3: Breaching the first two cavern layers, I've discovered that both are utterly devoid of all plant life. Just muddy cave floors and no water. Naturally this means no subterranean trees. And no well. Which means my gypsum plaster is useless if someone breaks a bone.
Problem 4: Caravans aren't making it to the fortress. My first dwarven caravan made it, but the elven and human caravans didn't. I figured the undead spooked the elves, but gently caress those guys because they don't have anything I want. The humans were bringing wood though, which I'm bloody desperate for. The guild rep made it inside just fine, but the lead wagon disintegrated when its merchant became "lost in despair" and the rest of the wagon train legged it out of my territory. The depressed merchant's wound list was red, the others were white/yellow Apparently the rain is injuring the merchants enough to scare them away. It wasn't the undead, because they were all clustered on the other side of the map.

The wagon that poofed was carrying wood and leather, which is now mine. Retrieving it put half of the fort in the hospital with horrific bruising. Hospital ran out of beds and guys were just laying all over the floor.

Guess I'm going to have to dig a bunch of wagon-sized tunnels leading to the map edges and cram war dogs in them in case the undead decide to visit. You'd think the merchants would know where they're going and realize that sleeveless tunics arent the best thing to wear. And really, this rain is quite tame compared to the area that had flesh eating rain or the raining pus that gave you horrible infections in the mouth, eyes, and fingernails from skin contact.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tenbux McGee posted:

Problem 1: I've embarked in a haunted/sinister area, and it rains "acrid filth" constantly. In this instance, acrid filth causes spontaneous bruising all over the body. Short exposure turns all body parts yellow on the wound window, and prolonged exposure turns everything red and the bruising goes right to the bone. It even reports bruised EYEBALLS. It clears up in a month once someone is indoors. The all-red exposure gives unhappy thoughts from getting seriously injured.
Comes with the territory, I'm afraid. Be happy it doesn't cause unconsciousness, necrosis and zombie-Hulkification. Keep your animals indoors (dig out some soil for a cave moss meadow) and make sure everybody has shoes to wear.

Tenbux McGee posted:

Problem 2: No iron ores anywhere. I've got copper, silver, and tin at least. Bronze armor seems to work well enough against undead wildlife, and silver is good for maces/hammers.
Shame. If your tin comes in straight-up veins, you're probably digging into granite and other deep igneous layers right on the surface. No iron to be found there, but bronze is a very good substitute.

Tenbux McGee posted:

Problem 3: Breaching the first two cavern layers, I've discovered that both are utterly devoid of all plant life. Just muddy cave floors and no water. Naturally this means no subterranean trees. And no well. Which means my gypsum plaster is useless if someone breaks a bone.
That sounds more like a world generation bug. Sorry.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you set cavern parameters to 10-90 percent water instead of 0-100 it should prevent both waterless and fully flooded caverns, or at least make them much less common than at the default settings.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tenbux McGee posted:

Problem 4: Caravans aren't making it to the fortress. My first dwarven caravan made it, but the elven and human caravans didn't. I figured the undead spooked the elves, but gently caress those guys because they don't have anything I want. The humans were bringing wood though, which I'm bloody desperate for. The guild rep made it inside just fine, but the lead wagon disintegrated when its merchant became "lost in despair" and the rest of the wagon train legged it out of my territory. The depressed merchant's wound list was red, the others were white/yellow Apparently the rain is injuring the merchants enough to scare them away. It wasn't the undead, because they were all clustered on the other side of the map.
If you build roofed over paths to each map edge that lead to your depot, and make sure the wagons can't get in any other way, that should probably help there. I remember there being a way to force the caravan to spawn in a specific section of the map edge so they don't go along it to reach your safe path, but I don't remember how.

Do caravans from a given civilization always come from the same side of the map? I remember this used to be the case.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

If you build roofed over paths to each map edge that lead to your depot, and make sure the wagons can't get in any other way, that should probably help there. I remember there being a way to force the caravan to spawn in a specific section of the map edge so they don't go along it to reach your safe path, but I don't remember how.
I think it was channeling out an area near the edge, combined with walls, or statues if you're feeling posh, to define the only cart-accessible path to your depot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
My new, better fortress is stuck in hauling limbo again. Oh well. Speaking of hauling, I had a small siege happen, and I had my standing orders set to claim everything except used ammunition. This was before the goblins died. The items are still forbidden, though. Did something overwrite it?

Also, I'm getting lots and lots of Dwarf cancels Eat: Item Inaccessible. I looked at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarf_cancels_Store_Item:_Item_inaccessible and I don't have any of these things. No burrows, no forbidden areas, no locked doors. I have a seeds stockpile, a foods stockpile that doesn't have seeds or prepared meals, and two stockpiles around the fortress that store prepared foods only. What can cause this? The only thing the page says is the food might be underwater. If so, it has been for months. None of my dwarves have drowned. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

Node fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 21, 2015

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

darthbob88 posted:

I think it was channeling out an area near the edge, combined with walls, or statues if you're feeling posh, to define the only cart-accessible path to your depot.

..that's bloody brilliant. Only other time I could control where caravans came from was on a heavily forested biome. I let the trees make all but one spot impassible. Unfortunately, the multi-level trees murdered my framerate. You have to love Toady for being equal parts brilliant and insane, but the man could use some assistance on optimization. I don't know my head from my rear end when it comes to programming though.

Anyway, found water and underground trees on the last cavern layer. Now maybe I can do something with the dozen fishermen my civ keeps sending to my fort. A fort sitting in a barren rocky wasteland.
..caught fish are items, right? Or are the fishermen going to get their willies cut off by undead lobsters?

scamtank posted:

Comes with the territory, I'm afraid. Be happy it doesn't cause unconsciousness, necrosis and zombie-Hulkification. Keep your animals indoors (dig out some soil for a cave moss meadow) and make sure everybody has shoes to wear.
That's why I embarked here. My last fort in a calm forest was getting a bit boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Welp, I guess it doesn't matter. Every time I am sieged by undead, the game crashes. I thought the nearby tower would add some Fun to the game, but it looks like that was a bad decision.

Is there a way to remove necromancy/undead invasions from my game by editing something?