Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I could also have done an gif of Archer saying "Phrasing".

But still, holy poo poo guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Good poo poo, GOP

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

paranoid randroid posted:

Good poo poo, GOP

They are still mad about getting steamrolled by Grant and Sherman.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

tsa posted:

The judge was universally condemned by experts so I don't know why you are implying he was in the right. It's absolutely something that should be in a victim impact statement.

You're missing the context, I think. The allegation is that the judge got mad at the victim impact statement and lowered the sentence. The truth is that probation was the sentence already being considered.

The victim impact statement was made to convince the judge to impose a harsher sentence. Obviously, that didn't work out.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I know the joke is that they aren't saying what I think they are right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Venom Snake posted:

The joke is they are really bad at the English language.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Its a good tweet because it can be read both ways, as America indebted to Lincoln's service and as indebted to the Virginia state motto.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Whoops:

quote:

Gov. Chris Christie failed to report as income or pay taxes on $380,000 in expense allowances he received from the state, according to a New Jersey Watchdog examination of Treasury data and the governor’s tax returns.

By not declaring the allowances on their joint returns, Christie and his wife, Mary Pat, avoided roughly $152,000 in federal income taxes over four years.
The governor's office has responded:

quote:

“The report on NJ watchdog is categorically false and irresponsible. The expense account, which has been provided to every governor in recent memory, is not salary and isn’t kept by the Governor as income.

Buuut...

quote:

In addition to his $175,000 a year salary, Christie gets a $95,000 a year expense account. In the state budget, it’s described as an “allowance to the governor of funds not otherwise appropriated, for official reception on behalf of the state, operations of an official residence, and other expenses.”
Christie lives at his private home in Mendham, 35 miles away. The cost of maintaining Drumthwacket, a 20-room Greek revival mansion on a nine-acre estate, is now primarily funded by a non-profit foundation.

So Christie is free to use the allowance however he wishes – and he doesn’t have to tell taxpayers how he spends the money.

Other New Jersey governors paid taxes on their allowances. One example is former Gov. Jim Florio, who disclosed it on his tax returns, the Associated Press reported in 1992. The AP story noted the expense account “must be declared as personal income.”
The alleged violation:

quote:

Under IRS regulations, if an employee gets an expense allowance but is not required to provide receipts or return any surplus, the arrangement is deemed non-accountable. Non-accountable allowances must be reported as supplemental wages subject to income tax, plus taxes for Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance.
I wonder if he'll get snagged on this one?

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 15, 2015

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Pixelboy posted:

As more of a casual follower of the thread, I'd considered just blocking most of your inane posts, but this... this is just so precious I'm happy I haven't.

Shine on....

You don't have to worry, someone will quote it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Aurubin posted:

Somebody recommend good webcomics. I'm looking for insight and laughs on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.
Le̡t ̵m̢ȩ t̶̨e̡ĺ͟l͟ ͡͡y͏̵̛o͠͠u҉ á͘̕b̴̢̕͡o҉̛u̕t̶͡ ̨͞͡H̡̀͟o̡͢m̡̛͠ę̨͟͏̧s̨͜t̨͜҉u҉҉̷̛c͝͠k҉͡

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zelder posted:

Accelerationism is, to my black mind, something disaffected and well off white people tell themselves because they're depressed

Yup that's it.

A single mother who depends on food stamps to feed her kids has to vote Democrat and vote Democrat right now to keep that from getting cut off. She can't afford to entertain the idea of a Ted Cruz protest vote to teach the DNC a lesson.

But if I'm a bitter teen and I know mommy and daddy are there to pay my bills then sure, gently caress that single mother and her stupid kids. I'm gonna try with all my might to cut off their food, because she needs to be throwing Molotov cocktails to start the revolution that I want. I'd throw those cocktails myself but man, I might get in trouble and lose my comforts.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
Hey everyone, I mostly just lurk this thread, but I wanted to pop in with an important question. A friend of a friend is doing a lunch interview with Rick Santorum tomorrow - are there any good questions I should tell them to ask him? (They already promised to ask about his "google problem").

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eNeMeE posted:

You don't have to worry, someone will quote it.
That's the thing about putting users on ignore: if they're saying offensive things someone will quote what they say to argue with it (so you'll end up reading them anyway), and if they're saying inoffensive things then there's no reason to put them on ignore in the first place. Ignore is pointless.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BeefyTaco posted:

Hey everyone, I mostly just lurk this thread, but I wanted to pop in with an important question. A friend of a friend is doing a lunch interview with Rick Santorum tomorrow - are there any good questions I should tell them to ask him? (They already promised to ask about his "google problem").
Santorum made his mark in the 2012 primaries by being remarkably conservative on social issues, and it seems the entire party has caught up with him on that. What is his plan for distinguishing himself from the field this time?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

BeefyTaco posted:

Try challenging him to complete the phrase "government n-"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

JT Jag posted:

Le̡t ̵m̢ȩ t̶̨e̡ĺ͟l͟ ͡͡y͏̵̛o͠͠u҉ á͘̕b̴̢̕͡o҉̛u̕t̶͡ ̨͞͡H̡̀͟o̡͢m̡̛͠ę̨͟͏̧s̨͜t̨͜҉u҉҉̷̛c͝͠k҉͡

It just started up again too :getin:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

BeefyTaco posted:

Why a sweater vest?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BeefyTaco posted:

"Governor Perry, you used to be a Democrat. If given the opportunity to be the Vice President on the Democratic ticket, would you accept?"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wow, it's a whole new level.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

BeefyTaco posted:

"Why wasn't God powerful enough to deliver you the nomination and the presidency? Or was God truly on Obama's side, and, if so, does that make you an agent of Satan?"

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's the thing about putting users on ignore: if they're saying offensive things someone will quote what they say to argue with it (so you'll end up reading them anyway), and if they're saying inoffensive things then there's no reason to put them on ignore in the first place. Ignore is pointless.

Less scrolling past stuff, slightly, and an immediate "that's hosed up" to go with the first instance of seeing it. The thread has definitely improved since I put it on ignore.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.

JT Jag posted:

Santorum made his mark in the 2012 primaries by being remarkably conservative on social issues, and it seems the entire party has caught up with him on that. What is his plan for distinguishing himself from the field this time?

These are all excellent questions, and I've been curious about this one myself. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BeefyTaco posted:

"In the battle for religious voters Mike Huckabee is curing people of diabetes, what special powers do you have to capture this demographic?"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chris Christie's House posted:

Drumthwacket

This cannot be real. It took me four times to type it because my subconscious denies its reality.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Happy page 88 everyone, hail Hitler!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whitey delenda est posted:

This cannot be real. It took me four times to type it because my subconscious denies its reality.

It's the state mansion since the 80s, and was built by a Civil War era governor on his family land and its name is Gaelic for Forest Hill or something like that.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BeefyTaco posted:

Now that he faces competition from Real Honest Evangelical candidates rather than mormons and lizardmen, does Rick have plans to renounce his godless papistry?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Now that he faces competition from Real Honest Evangelical candidates rather than mormons and lizardmen, does Rick have plans to renounce his godless papistry?
I'll have you know that all five Supreme Court judges are good Catholics!

It's Santorum's economic policy that he has to worry about, he doesn't have nearly the right-wing bona fides as many of the other candidates

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Swan Oat posted:

Back in '08 we had yearly megathreads that went right through page 1488 easily.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Swan Oat posted:

:hitler::respek::godwin:

I regret tacking my birth year onto my username every moment of every day

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Kitfox88 posted:

:hitler::respek::godwin:

I regret tacking my birth year onto my username every moment of every day

Has AARP called yet? Is Medicare good?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Page 88 is also for Hillary Handwaving.

"Pshh, it's still early nobody should consider her the likely winner"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BeefyTaco posted:

Serious response, ask him to comment on Huckabee's scampaign using specific examples. If he's smart, he'll bite and call him out. That would be at least a Politico-worthy quote.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ask him how he squares his beliefs with those of the Pope regarding inequality, not judging gays, capitalism's flaws, etc.

E: bonus points if you throw in a quick "are you a sedevacantist?" as out-loud musing regarding a possible explanation.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 15, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

E: bonus points if you throw in a quick "are you a sedevacantist?" as out-loud musing regarding a possible explanation.
Holy poo poo do this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ask him what he thinks of the Second Vatican Council.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm sort of curious if Rick still thinks Griswold was incorrectly decided.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I don't really care. I think they're all losers." ~ Harry Reid, on the Republican Presidential candidate field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Harry Reid's mean streak is one of my favorite Washington things.

• Locked thread