Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

Like, this was about as perfect an episode as you could get, I feel like, without having an enormous changes-everything-instantly thing like Turn, Turn, Turn. Tons of moving forward on a lot of plot lines, character development, well-acted scenes with good, emotional moments, power stuff, spy stuff.

Well, there are 2 episodes after Age of Ultron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This season has really been knocking them out of the park pretty consistently.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Right, that's part of what's so great - this wasn't a ridiculous payoff episode like Turn Turn Turn or Rains of Castamere or anything, it was basically a normal episode, just done really well with lots of great stuff, time used well.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So what are the chances Raina sticks around? Her actress got cast as the female lead in AMC's Preacher adaptation.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Xtanstic posted:

So what are the chances Raina sticks around? Her actress got cast as the female lead in AMC's Preacher adaptation.

Which doesn't mean she can't appear in AoS, it just means that her schedule would be limited.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zebulon posted:

Skye needs to do Smoke on the Water while singing "butthole" to the tune.

Every possible problem with this season would be forgiven if they did this. Hell every problem with season 1 would be forgiven knowing that it led to that moment.

Add May to that hug (especially in that dress she was in while fighting agent 33) and the show can end on a happy note. No need for storyline when you got this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After building up the mystery of the Cavalry incident for so long I didn't think they'd be able to justify it as something that would really crush someone like May and simultaneously fit it into what we've seen so far. Well they showed me. That was great stuff.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Part of what they did right was introducing the ex-husband/frayed relationship angle before we got here, to lend context and to not have the backstory come out of the blue, while at the same time making it appear just a few episodes earlier, so it doesn't fade.

I think this is a good lesson for all writing - if you're building to a big reveal, tear off a few layers of the onion first, so it doesn't feel forced.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"After your father pieced me back together" WELL THAT'S CREEPY AS HELL

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Cal sewing his dead wife back together is equal parts sad and terrifying.

I know, it does sound really hosed up... but you can't argue with the results, can you? It seems to have worked really well!

That dinner scene at the end was surprisingly touching, even though Cal has done a whole bunch of terrible things, it was actually nice to see them all happy together, if only for that one time.

I mean hell, that big episode not too long ago where he got a gang of cut-rate villains together and threatened some innocent people, to publicly show how Shield treats "enhanced" people... that was a terrible thing to do. However, Real Shield showing up and using Real Bullets on a fellow Shield agent kinda makes him have a point in retrospect.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 15, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cal has done a poo poo load of terrible things, and that's just what we've seen, but he's always been consistent in the fact that he's done them all to get his daughter back. So seeing him be calm and charming when she walked in was perfect. Yes, he's a sociopathic lunatic but he still loves his daughter and that's all that matters to him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Deadpool posted:

Cal has done a poo poo load of terrible things, and that's just what we've seen, but he's always been consistent in the fact that he's done them all to get his daughter back. So seeing him be calm and charming when she walked in was perfect. Yes, he's a sociopathic lunatic but he still loves his daughter and that's all that matters to him.

At this point I'm just giving him a pass, the dude had to sew his eviscerated wife back together after finding her in pieces.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

Three. The last two are being aired back-to-back.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Chloe Bennet is only 22. I wonder if there's a reason to make her older.

"Yes. 26" - Cal :tinfoil:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Javid posted:

I always felt like the superhuman May took out was like, a mind-controlling toddler or something she'd actually have reason to feel bad about killing.

Oh yeah.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Javid posted:

I always felt like the superhuman May took out was like, a mind-controlling toddler or something she'd actually have reason to feel bad about killing.

Goddamn, son.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

achillesforever6 posted:

I hear that the Kimmel Avengers show was awkward when Gregg showed up and asked the cast if they would show up on Agents of Shield

I donno, I got through Kimmel's monologue as far as "the first Avengers movie made over a billion dollars in the opening weekend, and this one is already projected to surpass it. Imagine how much money the movie would make if everyone going to see it opening weekend brought a date!" and then I decided it was not worth staying on the channel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So did I miss something about why Skye being 26 was funny?

E: oh wait, she thought she was 25 in her rant to Muad'mom, didn't she.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 15, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deadpool posted:

And he's really not an actual sociopathic lunatic, it's just at one point he thought "If I'm gonna get even, I'm gonna need superpowers," shot himself full of Hyde juice, and then was too busy putting people's skulls through walls to stop and go "You know maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

Kilo147 posted:

Goddamn, son.

Reina account spotted

Anyway episode owned but nooooo May don't join Team Assholes. :smith: Fitz and Team Wants to Help the Superpowered are way better

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a promo for next week, i can't find it

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Raina's got to be really pleased about being a precog. She thought The Clairvoyant was so awesome, with the most awesome amazing gift ever, and she would have loved to awaken a gift even a fraction as great in herself. Too bad she had to look like bad special effects to get it. Which is kinda weird. Usually when someone gets abilities they're related, even tangentially. Like Gordon has no eyes but he probably has to 'see' differently to really use his power properly. What does being a spiky weirdo have to do with dreaming the future? I think Raina will probably end up going down a similar path to the previous Clairvoyant, since that's what she's seen before. She clearly likes having power even if she never really gets it. She cheered up a bit this episode once she saw Gordon was someone she could use for her own gain.

Fits is going to use the hand dryer to make so much steam and heat that the bathroom becomes like a sauna and the dudes tailing him can't resist the urge to just really relax for a bit.

Also, Skye and her family should agree she's actually 23. :wink:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe she inherited mom's agelessness

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rocksicles posted:

Is there a promo for next week, i can't find it

Nah, they only just said there was a new episode and just instead showed a promo for the crappy Jimmy Kimmel special that was on after Agent of SHIELD.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Metropolis posted:

What does being a spiky weirdo have to do with dreaming the future?

Maybe the spikes work like antennae to pick up the signal?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Aphrodite posted:

They did a similar thing with Grant Gustin/The Flash, they had the character state he was 25 while Gustin was only 23 when filming that scene. My assumption is that its a way to make it seem slightly more plausible that the character has developed the technological/scientific skills that they have by saying that the characters are at least a full year out of college age.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 15, 2015

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Deadpool posted:

After building up the mystery of the Cavalry incident for so long I didn't think they'd be able to justify it as something that would really crush someone like May and simultaneously fit it into what we've seen so far. Well they showed me. That was great stuff.

Pretty much. I was skeptical coming in, and when I saw they weren't even devoting the whole episode to it I was afraid it would feel rushed. It didn't. All the plot lines tied together nicely, there was advancement for everyone, everything was great.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Potooweet posted:

Pretty much. I was skeptical coming in, and when I saw they weren't even devoting the whole episode to it I was afraid it would feel rushed. It didn't. All the plot lines tied together nicely, there was advancement for everyone, everything was great.

Pretty much this. Halfway through I was also wondering why they'd split the episode 50/50 between May and Skye's Little Family Reunion when there was seemingly no link between them, but the way it interconnected at the end was awesome and does a lot to explain what motivates both Skye's Mother and May (who is arguably Skye's latest foster mother. Really, this was an episode about mothers all around).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slashrat posted:

Pretty much this. Halfway through I was also wondering why they'd split the episode 50/50 between May and Skye's Little Family Reunion when there was seemingly no link between them, but the way it interconnected at the end was awesome and does a lot to explain what motivates both Skye's Mother and May (who is arguably Skye's latest foster mother. Really, this was an episode about mothers all around).

Yeah the whole thing was about mothers and daughters. You had Skye and her mom, the Inhuman bad guy and her freaky daughter, and May wanting to have children and now not being able to because of the trauma she went through.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

Nah, they only just said there was a new episode and just instead showed a promo for the crappy Jimmy Kimmel special that was on after Agent of SHIELD.

We got a generic AoS trailer here. Seems like they want to keep next week under wraps even though the synopsis is already known.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

After plowing through Daredevil I was worried that Agents (a show I really like) would look weak in comparison.

I'm glad I was wrong. May's one woman assault was great stuff. The shows are quickly becoming my favorite part of the MCU.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tokelau All Star posted:

After plowing through Daredevil I was worried that Agents (a show I really like) would look weak in comparison.

I'm glad I was wrong. May's one woman assault was great stuff. The shows are quickly becoming my favorite part of the MCU.

Yeah, after a weak Flash, I'm happy that this turned out to be such an excellent episode. Its great that there was no"You must keep our relationship secret but I won't tell you why, just trust me, I got this." conversation. Jaiying's reasons are drat good, and she put them right out front which was pretty great. May's flashback scenes, through the entire episode, and Fitz right at the end were all great too. I'm hoping the series continues its streak of great episodes, right up to the finale.

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 15, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rirse posted:

What? I saw a promo. There was Kimmel and Ultron stuff too, but there was also a promo with Ward & Facemask together with Deathlok and a fourth person that I forget, as well as various other things. You probably just saw Kimmel's face and had a panic attack, which is understandable; if you still have it DVR'd go check it again.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Floppychop posted:

Maybe the spikes work like antennae to pick up the signal?

Or she's only able to perceive future events that cause pain to her.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm really looking forward to Raina being told about her suspected power and then immediately starting to leverage it to her advantage. Sure, she'll have legitimate precognitive visions, but she'll probably also start making things up whole-cloth to convince others, making plausible claims that serve her narrative and then claim that "the future is not set in stone" when those events don't come to pass.

I have to assume the Elders are going to love her, she'll get an in, and then really make trouble when she has visions of Skye leaving and/or Afterlife being invaded.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
All that time Raina was looking for the Clairvoyant and it turns out she was it all along. Well I bet she didnt see that coming!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I know it probably won't happen, but I really hope Cal gets his wish for a happy family life and their whole messed up situation will be salvaged in a "I'll come have dinner on the weekends" kind of way. He literally ruined his life to find her. At the very least maybe this experience will help Daisy learn to understand/appreciate her father. He just wants her to be happy. :unsmith:

Also I just like happy Cal scenes.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Anyone else get the sense that Lincoln's full of poo poo and he's up to something AGAINST Skye? I mean, keep the cuddly face and the charming words out of play, the guy has consistently lied to her about where she is, the hierarchy of the place, the consequences of "jumping the line," where Reina was, that he knew her mentor knew Cal (and I'm suspecting now, that he knew the mentor, the high level person in that area, is Cal's wife and Skye's mom, thus is biased in any rulings toward Skye on powers) and he's siding with Raina, nudging her along, and knows she's Clairvoyant.

I dunno. This poo poo seems knowledge enough for a backstabbing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys, someone posted this on my other forum. They copied it from Reddit.

Someone needs a job.

"Someone on reddit answered that
http://www.reddit.com/r/shield/comments/32mxyq/post_episode_discussion_s2e17_melinda/cqcs5gh "

Aside from the usual "noise as a distraction" (guys wouldn't hear him preparing to ambush them) inside a dryer can be found:
A button or infra-red sensor
Heating Element usually made of Nichrome (Nickel Chromium alloy)
Forced air tube
A powerful motor, itself with heavy cabling to carry power.
A chassis made of ceramics (due to how high a temp the things get).
Infra-red sensors, the motor and the heating element could probably be rigged to make a small discomforting flash to blind them (I hesitate to say bomb because really, there isn't anything to store up power to high enough levels to set it all off at once, at least without a transformer inside).
The heating element itself could be placed on the door handle, a la Home Alone, to keep anyone from opening it. Ditto for electrocuting the door handle if it's a conductive metal.
The forced air tube could be, depending on what it's made of, could be turned into a makeshift container to store cleaning chemicals under the sink in long enough to make any number of hazardous materials.
The casing could probably be broken and turned into a makeshift weapon. A knife if wrapped with a towel from under the sink or if there is a mop/broom in the room, a makeshift spear to gain the advantage of reach.
Lastly, and most likely given it's Hunter coming up with the question, it's pretty heavy. Like, just drop it on their heads from above the door (like a water bucket trap). It'll knock them out, solidly.
There's a few more suggestions I could come up with, but you'd have to have higher clearance and this isn't a secure location to ask you for your lanyard so I'll leave it at that.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 15, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's probably not what I saw, but I swear, just before May came out of the building at the end, they showed Stick standing there, with some other woman to his right...

Metropolis posted:

What does being a spiky weirdo have to do with dreaming the future?

In her case, she was obsessed with looking beautiful. She got powers, but getting them also revealed how ugly she is on the inside.

XboxPants posted:

What? I saw a promo. There was Kimmel and Ultron stuff too, but there was also a promo with Ward & Facemask together with Deathlok and a fourth person that I forget, as well as various other things. You probably just saw Kimmel's face and had a panic attack, which is understandable; if you still have it DVR'd go check it again.

I didn't get a promo. It went from talking about Kimmel's show directly in to him in the green room with the cast of AoU.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

Anyone else get the sense that Lincoln's full of poo poo and he's up to something AGAINST Skye? I mean, keep the cuddly face and the charming words out of play, the guy has consistently lied to her about where she is, the hierarchy of the place, the consequences of "jumping the line," where Reina was, that he knew her mentor knew Cal (and I'm suspecting now, that he knew the mentor, the high level person in that area, is Cal's wife and Skye's mom, thus is biased in any rulings toward Skye on powers) he's siding with Raina, nudging her along, and knows she's Clairvoyant.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't actually lied to her so much as withheld the truth. He seems pretty low on the Inhuman totem pole, so I'm guessing he's been told what he is and isn't allowed to say to her.

And I hope he does side with Raina. She deserves a nice boy. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Kheldarn posted:

It's probably not what I saw, but I swear, just before May came out of the building at the end, they showed Stick standing there, with some other woman to his right...

In her case, she was obsessed with looking beautiful. She got powers, but getting them also revealed how ugly she is on the inside.

I didn't get a promo. It went from talking about Kimmel's show directly in to him in the green room with the cast of AoU.

I thought that was Gordon and Skye's mom

• Locked thread